Unplaced places and populations of Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Unplaced places and populations of Mystara

Post by LoZompatore » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:35 pm

At the following link an Excel file with a list to a set of locations - ranging in size from countries to inns - which were hinted at or loosely described in the official supplements but never described further or forgotten in later canon material.

The link is here.

The list is likely incomplete, even if it was compiled at the best of my knowledge. I tried to focus on the most obscure and incomplete pieces of canon information (most often than not mentioned only once) in case other fans wish to expand over them.
For example in the list there are 23 proper countries / kingdoms and 17 large regions (from mountain ranges to seas) which get a barely officiale description at all. I believe that most of them could be conveniently placed in the unexplored regions of Mystara (Davania, Skothar, central and eastern Brun).

A brief description of the place, population or organization is included. Often this description covers all the information available on that given entry but sometimes there is more to be read. For this reason I included the bibliographic reference of the official supplement that mentions the entry, for you to check in case you wish to get further information.

Hope this list could be useful as a reference and information tool ; )

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: Unplaced places and populations of Mystara

Post by Sturm » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:26 am

Very useful list!
In Threshold issue #11 I placed Carack and Nandua in NW Isle of Dawn.
Others also placed some of these location in Mystara, in Threshold issue #16 there was a long article on Darmouk by Chimpman and Agathokles.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:53 am

Indeed. Several of these have been fixed somewhere -- e.g., it is pretty common to see Ghyr placed somewhere north of Essuria and west of Norwold. Some other locations are actually closely related -- all the events of CM5 happen in a region that is equivalent to a single 8-miles hex, so it is likely that all or most of the locations would be in the same point in all but the closest scale map.

GP

LoZompatore
Hill Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:26 pm

Thanks for the appreciation guys! :D

The list is intentionally "fan-theory neutral", irrespective of the fixing creatd by the fan base over the years (most of which I agree upon ;) )
In compiling the list I just added the reference, the description according to the reference and - if available - the known region or country where the place is located. In this way, if anyone wishes to create his own theory about some specific location, he can trace the reference back to its original source and work with the basic information about the place ;)

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:07 am

Wow! This is a spectacular resource Zomp! Including references and page numbers are extremely helpful. I may go through and see if any of these locations strike my fancy (or if any of them might be applied to future issues of THreshold ;) ). It's always fun to try and fill in the gaps in official resources.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:27 am

Havard and I were doing research for another project, and we came across these references:

Gaz2, page 64 - Sky City of the Cloud Giants (visited by Al-Kalim)
An unnamed island that Al-Kalim was stranded on during a journey to find his patrons homeland
Undersea Kingdom (I'm assuming this might be the Kingdom in the Sunlit Sea?
Kingdom of Crabmen
Sea mountain (on the sea floor) where the Old Man of the Sea resides
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Carillion
Ogre

Post by Carillion » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:26 pm

Hello LoZompatore

I just thought I'd add my praise to that of a few others above - this is a very useful list indeed! It must have taken a while to put all of that together, so thanks for sharing.

Return to “Mystara”