Nagpa brought into 5E

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Nagpa brought into 5E

Post by Havard » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:02 pm

This thread in the Nentir Vale section here at The Piazza made me aware that WotC are bringing back another BECMI/Mystara creature: The Nagpa.

The Nagpa originally appeared in the AC9 Creature Catalog. They first appeared as a PC race in PC2 Top Balista which gave them are more integral role on Mystara. The Voyage of the Princess Ark expanded on their Mystara origins.

In this video, WotC's Jeremy Crawford talks about how the Nagpa will appear in Mordenkeinen's Tome of Foes, but will be tied to the Raven Queen. Crawford seems very much in love with AC9 Creature Catalog, having brought several creatures from that book into 5E with Tomb of Annhilation's Tortle Package.

It is a bit disappointing that WotC appear to be dropping all of the connections the race has to Mystara, but at the same time it is always nice to see a Mystara race get revisited.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

stebehil
Ogre

Re: Nagpa brought into 5E

Post by stebehil » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:47 pm

The Nagpa always reminded me of the Skeksis from Jim Hensons Dark Crystal, which predates the X4 module (marking the Nagpas first appearance) by two years. The images are very similar, so I´d guess David Cook was inspired by the movie.

Mystara does not seem to play any role in D&D at this point. The books so far seem to be written with FR in mind, but might be placeable in other game worlds. In the PH, the gods from FR, Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Eberron are included, so I´d guess that these game worlds will recieve the attention, if any. Mordenkainen is a GH character, but from what I´ve heard, the connection to GH will be weak in the new book, if it is even there.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:16 pm

stebehil wrote:The Nagpa always reminded me of the Skeksis from Jim Hensons Dark Crystal, which predates the X4 module (marking the Nagpas first appearance) by two years. The images are very similar, so I´d guess David Cook was inspired by the movie.

Mystara does not seem to play any role in D&D at this point. The books so far seem to be written with FR in mind, but might be placeable in other game worlds. In the PH, the gods from FR, Greyhawk, Dragonlance and Eberron are included, so I´d guess that these game worlds will recieve the attention, if any. Mordenkainen is a GH character, but from what I´ve heard, the connection to GH will be weak in the new book, if it is even there.
Good point about X4 predating AC9.

It has been speculated that Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes will involve alot of Other Planar stuff so that could explain this character being referenced. Looks like they are purging any Mystara references from the Nagpa and replacing it with this new revised Raven Queen mythology.

And yeah, the Skeksis are awesome! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:14 am

Havard wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:16 pm
stebehil wrote:The Nagpa always reminded me of the Skeksis from Jim Hensons Dark Crystal, which predates the X4 module (marking the Nagpas first appearance) by two years. The images are very similar, so I´d guess David Cook was inspired by the movie.

Good point about X4 predating AC9.

It has been speculated that Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes will involve alot of Other Planar stuff so that could explain this character being referenced. Looks like they are purging any Mystara references from the Nagpa and replacing it with this new revised Raven Queen mythology.

And yeah, the Skeksis are awesome! :)

-Havard
The first thing that comes to mind for me is how do we bring the Raven Queen into Mystara as an Immortal related to nagpas? Is she their patron? Is it just another name for an existing Immortal?

Thoughts?
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:51 pm

The Raven Queen is somewhat similar to Nyx. Not sure what immortals are associated with the Nagpa though?

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Bruce Heard in VotPA described the Nagpa as cursed Varellyans (http://bruce-heard.blogspot.it/2012/03/ ... agpas.html). Supposedly an Entropic Immortal cursed them, so maybe they are not much the religious type.
But I'd like to make their story more complicated and having them as a breed of gyerians natives of the region in Davania that the Varellyan partially destroyed, hence they were forced to take their form.
The nagpa in Hule which appears in X4 and X5 however could have another story entirely, and be followers of Bozdogan/Loki? Nyx is Entropic too but not sure if she would get much along with Loki.
Still a group of nagpa followers of Nyx would work very well IMHO.

Return to “Mystara”