The leering pagan god from B5

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Sturm
Green Dragon

Re: The leering pagan god from B5

Post by Sturm » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:49 am

Ah yes true. Apparently they are not described as hags and their nature is left undetermined, yet they do not seem "normal" wizards, but more like three magical womens as in the crones of Crystykk and all the RW myths from which they came.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:53 am

BTW Agathokles here http://pandius.com/karagobl.html supposed the monastery as being of Leptar indeed and I used it as such in the PbP, changing a bit its location, even if the witches are supposed to be followers of Orcus.

paleologos
Ogre

Post by paleologos » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:55 pm

According to Doug Niles himself (back when he was interviewed on "Save or Die") the 2 sisters in B5 were inspired by/modeled after the 3 witches from Lloyd Alexander's "Chronicles of Prydain"

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Interesting so like the Crones and others they are all inspired by the same RW source (Three Witches of Macbeth, Triple Goddess, Moirai/Norns)

stebehil
Ogre

Post by stebehil » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:34 pm

Casting the two sisters as some sort of faeries might make sense here. They are living in the wilderness, protected by magic (and powerful illusions), mimic human behaviour, have an unfathomable agenda (why would they want money in the middle of nowhere? Why want they to see the ogre dead?), and anything removed from their house turns to dust - even the house itself if the sisters are killed. This sure sounds a lot like faerie magic at work. If I should ever come around to use this adventure, this will probably be my take on them.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:14 am

Yes I used them in the Play by Post and they helped the PCs because they wanted to remove the occupants of the monastery, even if the PCs did not discover why or what kind of creatures they were :)

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:18 am

Indeed, the three Witches are part of the inspiration, as are the Crones of Chaos.
GP

paleologos
Ogre

Post by paleologos » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:32 am

Just a quick update - today, my 13 year-old son ran me through his first D&D adventure as a DM (5E). By concidence, he downloaded a starter adventure "Death Pit of Moloch" which was a pretty neat little adventure.

He and a group of his friends are still making their way through B5, and I couldn't resist "confiding" to him that Moloch was the master of the black-hearted cult in B5. He blanched - having done some research on wikipedia regarding Moloch...

It's a really great fit, actually. A worthy "horror" for The Hill. As a "fallen devil" it makes sense that the cult lost power. Plus there's a wealth of 5E material on Moloch (in "Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes") which can be used to fill in some backstory.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:42 am

paleologos wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:32 am
Just a quick update - today, my 13 year-old son ran me through his first D&D adventure as a DM (5E). By concidence, he downloaded a starter adventure "Death Pit of Moloch" which was a pretty neat little adventure.

He and a group of his friends are still making their way through B5, and I couldn't resist "confiding" to him that Moloch was the master of the black-hearted cult in B5. He blanched - having done some research on wikipedia regarding Moloch...

It's a really great fit, actually. A worthy "horror" for The Hill. As a "fallen devil" it makes sense that the cult lost power. Plus there's a wealth of 5E material on Moloch (in "Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes") which can be used to fill in some backstory.
That is a nice story! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

paleologos
Ogre

Post by paleologos » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:24 am

Just came across another point in favor of Moloch - here is the description from the 1e Monster Manual II:
He ... attacks by grabbing and crushing or piercing with huge hands and taloned fingers and then by biting with his shark-toothed maw
and from B5:
The creature’s mouth is gaping open to display row upon row of hideously pointed fangs. Two long, claw-tipped arms are carved in relief

Return to “Mystara”