Karameikos at war

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

bighara
Bugbear

Karameikos at war

Post by bighara » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:37 pm

I'm thinking of running a BX game with a heavily-homebrewed version of the GDK. I know some of this happened in the years between AC1000 and "Karameikos: Kingdom of Adventure" but I have some of my own ideas on events.

In a nutshell, I want to start the PCs off in a pretty straightforward GAZ1/B10 GDK. After they get a couple levels and have a sense of what's "normal," I'll turn up the heat.

I'm thinking Hendricks makes his move to destabilize the realm via humanoid shock troops and Bargle's machinations to foment dissent. Meanwhile Jowlett dies (perhaps poisoned in a way that looks like natural causes?) and the power struggle begins with the Church of K.

The PCs can A) choose sides, B) try to go about their business in the midst of the chaos, or C) get out of Dodge. Their choice.

Thoughts? C&C?

CommanderCrud
Orc

Re: Karameikos at war

Post by CommanderCrud » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:01 pm

I'm doing something similar. Currently in the middle of B10, but am sowing the seeds of the coming holy civil war within Karameikos. Jowlett will die soon under mysterious circumstances, and the PCs owe Sergyev a favor despite one PC being a devout cleric of the Church of Karameikos while another PC is in love with Aleena (yes, she's still alive... for now) and has been donating all his money to her church. The 3 factions will do their best to tear the party apart as they hunt down the shield (from Hail the Heroes), and when things look most dim, Bargle and Hendricks will introduce new trouble. Meanwhile, they keep hearing something about a war on the horizon between Darokin and some nation they've never heard of that's supposedly far to the southwest beyond the edge of their known world.

bighara
Bugbear

Post by bighara » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:06 pm

CommanderCrud wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:01 pm
I'm doing something similar...
Sounds cool. I may steal some of that!

maddog
Frost Giant

Post by maddog » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:49 pm

Long ago I was running a modified X4/X5/X10 and used all of the information above plus some influence (read: generic lower level NPCs) from The Master to hook the characters. Basically, bad guys made them sign up and want to go to Pramayama for the start of X4.

Also, IIRC, doesn't the Companion Set have information on this? Something like "The Fall of the Black Eagle" for the War Machine rules?
---
Hey! I just became a frost giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:33 pm

maddog wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:49 pm
Also, IIRC, doesn't the Companion Set have information on this? Something like "The Fall of the Black Eagle" for the War Machine rules?
There is indeed a War Machine adventure featuring the Black Eagle in the Companion Set's DM's Guide.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

bighara
Bugbear

Post by bighara » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:06 pm

So my current thoughts go along these lines. As this is BX and not BECMI, it's going to be dialed back a little on the power levels:

Bargle has a fun little magic item: a hat of disguise. It allows him to move about as different personas and appearances. He travels around the Duchy encouraging and funding little rebel splinters to foment unrest. The PCs may encounter him or some of these cells at starting levels. In the meantime, rumors of Jowlett's failing health continue.

Once the party has a few levels under their collective belt, Jowlett dies. This sparks a clerical war within the CoK. Bargle has also backed Alfric (in disguise). Though the Duke wishes at first to remain neutral, he may eventually declare for one side or the other. The Order of the Griffon as an institution backs Sherlane, but some individual knights are sympathetic to Alfric's views.

Meanwhile, Aleksyev may try to push for favor with in Court for the CoT while the CoK is weakened.

All this suits Hendrick and Bargle's plans. They will have the rebel factions and humanoid mercenaries strike targets during this time and lure the Duke's armies away from the Specularum. Then, when the power structure is at maximum strain, the Baron will take his secret fleet that he's been building and strike at the capital, slaying the royal family and seizing power.

If Hendricks manages to gain the throne, he will use his goblinoid forces to crush all resistance and put everyone -Thyatian and Traladaran- equally under his heel. He also hates demihumans and will drive or wipe them out within the borders of the country.

All this is what would happen if the PCs don't get involved.

oleck
Bugbear

Post by oleck » Wed May 09, 2018 7:25 pm

You can use my Iron Ring Compilation http://thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.ph ... cb824275ce

and also my Blight Swamp Compilation where i got some alies to black Eagle http://pandius.com/blight_swamp_compilation.pdf

and why not http://pandius.com/Luln_Map.pdf

Return to “Mystara”