Itinerary from the B2 Keep to B4 Lost City

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Seer of Yhog

benjy
Kobold

Itinerary from the B2 Keep to B4 Lost City

Post by benjy » Sat May 05, 2018 5:19 pm

Hi,

I am currently DMing level 1 players now upgrading to level 2 in the Caves of Chaos (Module B2). I was thinking of leading them into the Ylaruam desert to find the Lost City (B4). The question is which itinerary ? I see two options : going to Selenica and then caravaning to the desert (but then I would need and adventure in Selenica...any clue ?) or second option through the Altan Tepes via the Gap of Yebedeska and the Ice Wall as per the Treshold issue on Karameikos. Any suggestion ? ideas ? experience ? :D

Mike
Ogre

Re: Itinerary from the B2 Keep to B4 Lost City

Post by Mike » Sat May 05, 2018 7:47 pm

I had a wizard in Selenica send the party on a quest to find something in a Ylari ruin. It proved to be a fire magian temple in a remote cavern, and the mage wanted it for nefarious purposes. Adapting this idea:

0. They are recruited by an agent to visit the Mage of the Iridescent Tower in Selenica. (optional if you need to get them there)
1. The mage desires an obscure artifact that he says can be found in a certain ruin. He describes the piece and gives directions where the ruiin can be found. If pressed he is vague about what it is and why he needs it, just upping the comission fee if they seem reluctant.
2. The party travels into Ylaruam to an obscure location off the beaten path, even further out in the wilds than Cynicidea. There is some difficulty locating the site, so they have to hexcrawl around a bit and have suitable desert encounters. You could have a local tribe claim the area as their territory and hassle the party.
3. They find the ruin, explore it. Typical dungeon crawl of whatever length you like. This dungeon crawl uses up most of their rations and resources, making them eager to return to civilization. They
4. On the way back they get lost and wander into a region of shifty dunes, all alike. Perhaps the tribe has turned hostile and forces a detour, or perhaps a sandstorm, or maybe just an unlucky roll to get lost. A day after they drink the last of their water, and you inform them that unless they find more water, tomorrow they will die... they stumble upon the lost pyramid.
5. While they are in the lost pyramid, the lose the artifact. Maybe it is stolen by a cynidicean thief. Maybe one of their retains goes rogue and joins the Zargonites, taking the artifact with him. Maybe a tabi or goblin or some other monster steals it. So there is no reason to leave.
6. The wizard in Selenica sends more agents to find out what happened. The local tribe informs him that they came to the ruins and then left again, but disappeared into the desert. Naturally he thinks they absconded with the prize, so he sends out agents and puts a price on their heads. When they leave the lost city, they'll have to deal with this. FOr extra fun, have one of the wizard's assassins find the pyramid and track the PCs inside.

religon
Bugbear

Post by religon » Sat May 05, 2018 8:20 pm

I've never cared for the canon version of Selenica. It is presented as a trading and market city with a multi-cultural dimension. In years past running this as canon, I thought this was a dull part of Mystara. One was always leaving the Selenica region into the Canolbarth forest or the mountains or into the desert.

I reimagined Selenica as a holy city, the White City and it became much more interesting. I have a pseudo-Catholic faith's church located here. The city is free of Darokin law. The region south of the Canolbarth is a host of petty kingdoms owing dual loyalty to the Holy Father and the Republic. It is a region of dragons kidnapping princesses, fairies running amok, jousts, trolls guarding bridges, inquisitions, witches, religious crusading and love trysts. Robber barons and romantic knights are the order of the day.

I like the contrast to mercantile Darokin, trading Ylaruam and ambitious Karameikos. Part of the choice I made was these sorts of adventures suit a party of low-mid levels.

Mike
Ogre

Post by Mike » Sat May 05, 2018 8:38 pm

Cool idea!

I hate Gaz-era Selenica too. IMC it is always a free city, sort of like Greyhawk. That's how I imagined it in 1981. Still a merchant city but having no ties to Darokin, and no cultural ties to Ylaruam. It is a magnet for adventurers. I treat the orclands as an independent region of feuding states as well. I have a similar notion of the towns south of Canolbarth but hadn't given it a lot of thought.

In contrast, it is Darokin that I changed from a merchant republic to a feudal kingdom. I always thought the "Eastwind dynasty" had nice ring to it and it's a shame to leave it in the remote past, and also a shame to have such a bland present... so IMC Darokin is a kingdom ruled by the Eastwind kings. Sometimes I treat it as a collapsed kingdom with a vacant throne, with merchant guilds running amok in the power vacuum, just waiting for adventurers to recover and claim the crown and/or support the royal heir, who of course has been raised by a hermit in an obscure borderland.

Robin
Cloud Giant

Post by Robin » Sat May 05, 2018 10:50 pm

I used it more like a standard Darokin city similar to Akkaros, but with much more influence from Alfheim, Rockhome, Ylaruam and Karameikos, and having some history of Giant and Doulakki past. I mapped it in my development of the Dwarven Train.
Map; https://6inchnails.deviantart.com/art/S ... -663340775
Dwarven Thane; http://pandius.com/dwrthane.html

so this might enliven yourSelenica
Enjoy
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat May 05, 2018 11:22 pm

I'd recommend the following articles:
On Selenica:
http://www.pandius.com/slnicast.html

On the region around it:
http://www.pandius.com/m_dkn223.html

If you plan to use the caravan idea, then passing through Selenica makes sense. Passing through the Altan Tepes only makes sense if the characters are actively looking for something in the mountains -- e.g., as prospectors or hunting a goblinoid tribe.

GP

religon
Bugbear

Post by religon » Sat May 05, 2018 11:23 pm

Dungeon Magazine, Issue #51 had a harpy lair "Side-Trek" adventure written for BECMI called "The Witch of Windcrag" of a suitable level. It is just one encounter if you don't include the optional stirges and mountain lions, but it would work in this region. It also provides the PC's a Ring of Animal Control as part of the treasure. That would be quite useful for B4.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon May 07, 2018 9:06 am

Central Altan Tepes Mini Gazetteer by Simone Neri is also useful if they go by foot or horse through the Gap http://pandius.com/altantps.html

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Wed May 09, 2018 1:24 am

IIRC, the "adventure path flowchart" from B1-9 In Search of Adventure, has B6 Rahasia set in Selenica...
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Return to “Mystara”