Benekander: What Will He do After WotI?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Benekander: What Will He do After WotI?

Post by Havard » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:50 pm

In this thread about Rad, Sturm posted the following:
Sturm wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:20 pm
IMC I assumed Gareth was Benekander. I think it fits quite well with what we know about him. Rad instead returned as himself, but with a more prudent and tolerant approach toward everything.
We now know that the designers probably had different plans for Gareth.

Regardless of how each DM will deal with that specific idea, what do you think Benekander will be up to? We know that:

1) He represents yet another Immortal who has not achieved Immortality in the traditional way and has no sponsor. Rad and Rafiel are other known examples of this and may become allies.
2) He is critical of Immortal meddling on Mystara.
3) He is probably positive towards technology and techno-magic
4) He still has alot to learn about his own abilities and about the world.

Will he be interested in gaining followers? How will he deal with Immortal society? Will he try to gain allies? Will be be a prime victim for manipulation from the Entropics?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Re: Benekander: What Will He do After WotI?

Post by Gravesguardian » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:32 pm

After the events of WotI, he'ld probably be too suspicious of the other Immortals to be easily manipulated. As an Engineer and tinkerer in mortal life, he might try to get friendly w/ Rafiel, whomever is the Gnome Immortal and any other Immortal w/ an interest in the invention of new things or technology. He'ld be a perfect addition to those Immortals studying the NoS since it was once part of his ship. Rafiel could benefit from his knowledge and help on his "pet project." If he does try to gain followers, I see them as being more scientist-types rather than cleric-types. That's not to say he won't acquire clerical-types; but, they should be more concerned w/ creating new inventions and tinkering w/ existing items to improve them. (Why carry a normal crossbow when you can use a "magazine fed" repeating crossbow?)

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:59 am

This is a really interesting question! I'm not necessarily sure I agree with some of the reasoning about Benekander being pro-technology/technomancy on Mystara. Benekander was an original member of the FSS Beagle's crew (its chief engineer), and as such I think he would still feel some responsibility to maintain the Prime Directive. He wasn't very happy to learn that the Mystaran natives had raided his ship, and I don't think he'd be very happy with anyone trying to reproduce Blackmoorian (and thus Federation) technology.

I think he would see the destruction of Blackmoor (and the subsequent Great Rain of Fire) as a personal failure on his part (and the part of his crew mates), and I think he would want to prevent such a thing from happening again. For the most part I suspect that he may actually oppose Rafiel's and Rad's efforts to use the NoS, although he may get friendly with them in the short term to learn everything that they think they know about the artifact.

I also see Benekander sponsoring "Indiana Jones" type adventurers, encouraging them to go out and find ancient Blackmoorian artifacts, but then to bring them back to the "museum/temple" for safekeeping. He might sponsor secret orders that take charge of these artifacts (perhaps splitting them apart and storing them in separate locations so that they can't be easily accessed or used).
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:54 am

I agree he will try to limit technologic, but possibly he could be supportive of "native" technology, as the gnomish and dwarvish one.
IMC I more or less imagined him as a modern man in a Renaissance/medieval-like world. If you would find yourself in such a world you would be automatically a radical because even the more right-wing person of today would find the customs and rules of the ancient world appaling and unacceptable.
We could assume Mystara has not the sexism and mysoginism the real Middle Ages had, but it certainly has its share of religious bigotry, classism and slavery, and a modern man could hardly accept that, particularly if the Federation was a Star Trek-like enlightned (more or less) organization. So he started working against these things, ending up in promoting a fight against the status quo maintained by Immortals and nobles, so I used him as a revolutionary type :) This too would be against the Prime Directive but anyway What Would Kirk/Picard Do? Start a revolution, obviously, 'cause the Directive is theory but injustice is real and the Hero cannot abide it :)

Tom Bulls Eye
Ogre

Post by Tom Bulls Eye » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:34 pm

Actually, I've always imagined that Benekander initially would try to reconnect to his lost past, visiting lost loved ones in the Federation etc. During such visits I've imagined him to become dissatisfied with the shortcomings of the Federation and therefor decide to rebuild a new Federation is his own image with the help of his chosen flock.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Sturm wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:54 am
This too would be against the Prime Directive but anyway What Would Kirk/Picard Do? Start a revolution, obviously, 'cause the Directive is theory but injustice is real and the Hero cannot abide it :)
Ahhh... Kirk would do that... but not Picard... ;)
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:19 pm

I didn't really envision Benekander as being quite as bound to the Prime Directive IMC. Of the canon Beagle NPCs we see, there actually only appears to be one that is really beholden to any kind of non-interference, and that is Captain Bork Riesling. (And even he is described as being a bit more open to contact with the natives eventually. IIRC, he made a pact with the Sand Folk, and I think the "follow up" suggestions to DA3 mention that he might be persuaded to enter an alliance with the Fetch and the Regency Council.)

In any event, the Benekander IMC became pretty resigned to the fact that he was never going to get back home when he woke up and found all the rest of his crewmates dead, and eventually entered into an arrangement with the Regency Council wherein he ended up aiding the Cabal of Wizards in their efforts to attempt to reverse-engineer stolen Blackmoor technology using medieval science and magic, and gave a tremendous kickstart to the arts of Technomancy as a result. In return, the Regency Council supported his efforts to try to bring the traitor Ogdoban Treel to justice.

I envisioned the whole thing as a sort of "John Carter of Mars" pulp fiction epic:

BENEKANDER OF BLACKMOOR!

One of these days, I really want to get around to telling that story. :D
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 pm

I do not remember right now but how much time passed between Rheddrian awakening and the explosion of the ship which trapped him in the mirror? LoZompatore's Blackmoor timeline only says 1-10 years. Could Rheddrian had any time to visit Blackmoor before he was trapped?

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:38 am

Sturm wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 pm
I do not remember right now but how much time passed between Rheddrian awakening and the explosion of the ship which trapped him in the mirror? LoZompatore's Blackmoor timeline only says 1-10 years. Could Rheddrian had any time to visit Blackmoor before he was trapped?
It's pretty unclear, actually. All that Wrath of the Immortals officially says is that, between the time of King Uther and Benekander, "(m)any years- perhaps centuries" pass before Ogdoban Treel reawakens and begins looting the Beagle. That, in turn, leads to the reawakening of Benekander.

Then after that, an indeterminate amount of time passes between Benekander sabotages the Beagle and Treel and he are presumably vaporized when the Beagle subsequently explodes. The text makes it seem as if it happened within a relatively short span of time, but again, there aren't any actual time frames indicated.

I chose to take more liberties with the timeline as a result, and had Benekander's resurrection occur a relatively short time after the DA series of modules (a few years, maybe a decade or two; I don't recall offhand if I ever laid it out quite that definitively) and his hunt for Treel subsequently takes place over an even longer period of many more years, before they end up in a final confrontation within the Beagle as they both desperately seek to secure its technology for themselves (with a tragic ending).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:27 am

I see, thanks. I have these events included in my timeline of Skothar for the incoming Threshold issue #20 but I suppose it's better to leave the exact timeframe quite undetermined.. Centuries however seems a bit too much as in this case the Blackmoor government would have time to fully colonize the Valley of the Ancients and seize the Beagle whole..

Return to “Mystara”