[5E] Pachydermions

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[5E] Pachydermions

Post by Havard » Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:53 pm

Can the latest UA article featuring elephant folk be used to convert Mystara's Pachydermions to 5E?

It looks like Loxodons now have only one trunk like the Mystara race now, unlike the two trunked Loxodons of previous editions.

What do you think? How would you modify it?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: [5E] Pachydermions

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:04 pm

They're "loxodons" now? Not "loxoth"? Weird that they changed their appearance, though I suppose it would be relatively simple to say that the dual-trunk loxo were just a particular species of a broader race or something. It also looks like their trunks (based on that picture) are no longer prehensile limbs (or at least don't have the "fingers" at the ends).

I don't see any particular reason they couldn't be used for Pachydermions? Aside from the two trunks and lower HD of the AD&D loxo vs. the BECMI Pachydermion, they could pretty much be considered the same creature.

EDIT: I see that these are for the world of Ravnica, presumably a new setting? So maybe they're not intended to be the same sort of creature as the loxoth of the Realms after all.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:25 pm

I see Fingers, (though short and thich), and a single prehensile trunk (aren't they all??)
It seems to me indeed the same creatue; aka pachydermions Mystara style
As I don't see toes, I assume they are more like feet (as they are a standing up race), instead heavy flat logs like normal elephants...something a bupedal race needs to be able to move at normal or faster speed. and as such having a much lower weight than elephants do (I assume 25% of an elephant maximum).
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:34 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:04 pm
They're "loxodons" now? Not "loxoth"? Weird that they changed their appearance, though I suppose it would be relatively simple to say that the dual-trunk loxo were just a particular species of a broader race or something. It also looks like their trunks (based on that picture) are no longer prehensile limbs (or at least don't have the "fingers" at the ends).

I don't see any particular reason they couldn't be used for Pachydermions? Aside from the two trunks and lower HD of the AD&D loxo vs. the BECMI Pachydermion, they could pretty much be considered the same creature.

EDIT: I see that these are for the world of Ravnica, presumably a new setting? So maybe they're not intended to be the same sort of creature as the loxoth of the Realms after all.

Ah, that is right, they were Loxoth originally. Looks like they were already Loxodons in 3E though? But still two-trunked at that time? (Edit: Thanks to Ripvanwormer letting me know the link was to a homebrew page).

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:04 am

Havard wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:34 pm
Ah, that is right, they were Loxoth originally. Looks like they were already Loxodons in 3E though? But still two-trunked at that time?
Did a little digging; apparently Loxodons are from Magic: the Gathering. So not necessarily any connection to D&D loxoth (other than that both get their names and appearances from the genus of real world elephants).

Ravnica is a Magic: the Gathering world as well, it looks like, so I'm guessing all of these Ravnica races originally appeared in the card game.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:32 am

Havard wrote:
Ah, that is right, they were Loxoth originally. Looks like they were already Loxodons in 3E though?
That page is homebrew.
But still two-trunked at that time?
The 3e loxo described in the MMII had two trunks, but the loxodon on the wiki page you linked to above has "a very dexterous trunk" singular. It's an unrelated creature (as Cthuludrew said, from Magic: The Gathering). As he noted, the genus of the African elephant is Loxodonta, and two elephant-headed fantasy races independently got their name from that.

In 2e, the word was loxo (singular) and loxoth (plural). In 3e, it's loxo (singular) and loxos (plural).

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:32 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:04 pm
Ravnica is a plane in the Magic: The Gathering campaign setting. People have been talking about turning Magic: The Gathering into a D&D setting, since Wizards of the Coast bought D&D, but the idea got abandoned in the 3rd Edition Era. James Wyatt (who moved from the D&D team to the M:tG team) has been building some free ("Plane Shift") conversion documents for some of the Magic: The Gathering planes in his spare time. They were so popular that WotC finally said they would do a full-blown D&D book.

So, if you like 5e, it might be worth skimming the Magic: The Gathering material to see if anything else could be raided and used in Mystara.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:41 am

ripvanwormer wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:32 am
Havard wrote:
Ah, that is right, they were Loxoth originally. Looks like they were already Loxodons in 3E though?
That page is homebrew.
But still two-trunked at that time?
The 3e loxo described in the MMII had two trunks, but the loxodon on the wiki page you linked to above has "a very dexterous trunk" singular. It's an unrelated creature (as Cthuludrew said, from Magic: The Gathering). As he noted, the genus of the African elephant is Loxodonta, and two elephant-headed fantasy races independently got their name from that.

In 2e, the word was loxo (singular) and loxoth (plural). In 3e, it's loxo (singular) and loxos (plural).
I wonder how many different elephant races exist in D&D and other roleplaying games.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Mystara”