B11 and B12 as campaign start

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

stebehil
Hill Giant

Re: B11 and B12 as campaign start

Post by stebehil »

So, yesterday we finally played again. The group was on their way to the keep, and stopped in Stallanford to collect information. I rewarded them with a local charcoal maker telling them where to find the way up, and reporting about more humanoid activity in the area.
On the way up, there were two random encounters indicated by die rolls, the first were goblins, attacking the PCs. A caught survivor spilled some beans about the fortress. The second, close to the keep, were three orcs. I decided that they were deserters, and they told the PCs about the general situation inside the keep. (Yay for non-murderhoboing PCs). Now, they want to infiltrate the keep. While this idea is not explicitly mentioned in the adventure, it is a viable route IMO, even though they have a dwarf and a gnome PC. I will have to prepare for that.

stebehil
Hill Giant

Re: B11 and B12 as campaign start

Post by stebehil »

After a lenghty hiatus due to some health issues on my part and the trouble with finding a game date, we played again last friday. Due to the Corona situation, we used Roll20 and Discord voice chat. The players used the time to update (and in a few cases, change) their characters, and we added a new PC (A Vyalia Elf Monk - surely a bit of a stretch, but hey, why not.), so I had 6 PCs.

I have decided to use the 5e conversion by Konstantinos Poumpouridis (Classic Modules today, via DMs Guild), with some slight modifications, for ease of use. The PCs used the time to observe the keep further, but decided against the idea to hire themselves as mercenaries to get inside the keep (with two elves, a dwarf and a gnome, this would be quite a stretch to be believeable anyways). So, as they really took their time to watch the comings and goings, they managed to ambush a five-goblin hunting party, but did not get too much information from the survivors.

The druidess in the group used her shapechange to do some reconnaisance inside the keep and managed to get a rough overview of the surface level rooms in short order. Furthermore, she looked into the latrines and found that they empty into some subterranean cave, which had an unguarded exit. They used that to infiltrate the keep unseen. (This is my addition, as it was looking like my group wouldn´t want to use extended hit-and-run tactics, and had given up on the idea to pose as mercenaries. Plus, I had my group climb up the latrines - disgusting, but clever).

From there (and with considerable luck, the latrines were empty, as well as the surrounding area of the keep), they went right into Room 21, the room of the Commander Merkul and his lover Tarrayo. They surprised the two, and the rogue managed to get a really nasty hit on Tarrayo, taking her out cold right at the beginning of the fight. She hadn´t have the chance to cast a single spell. Merkul had the "knight" statistics from the Monster Manual, so the fight was not easy at all, but the group was in no real danger here. I think they needed about three or four rounds to take him out.

Currently, they are questioning him about the dungeon of the keep and its inhabitants (via Discord text chat), so we can game on next time, and I have the chance to think about answers beforehand. Next time, they will venture into the dungeon.

One thing I noticed about the conversion: it seems that the 5e CR is equaled to the BD&D hd or something. The veterans (lvl1 fighters) are to be treated as thugs (CR 1/2), and the warriors as bandit captains (CR 2), with the named fighter npcs being treated as knights (CR 3). I think this might be a bit too much. In the Dungeon level, in room 29 are three guards, level 2 fighters. With AC 3, they present a challenge to the PCs. The bandit captains have 65 hp apiece, and three melee attacks. This is probably too much. I´m inclined to treat the typical mercenaries as bandits, and the leaders and these three guards as thugs, maybe with a few extra hp. With two melee attacks and pack tactics, these should be plenty. So, using these conversions requires quite some preparation.

The battle against Ilyana and Bernal will be hard, to be sure. She has Knight stats, with plate mail +1 and shield +1, giving her an AC of 22, and one parry each round. Two attacks with +7 and 1d8+5 damage each is bad news as well. Bernal as Priest (again MM) with Divine Eminence and Cause Wounds is not to be taken lightly as well...

I have thought about Ilyanas sword, naming it Durbuluk (meaning "Dominator" in goblin, according to Tales of the Yawning Portal), but gets called Leptars Legacy by the cultists. I will change it to being able to dominate 40 Goblins or Hobgoblins, not 40 HD, and instilling an unyielding bravery into all goblins and hobgoblins seeing it. The immunity to charm and sleep is retained as well. The weapon is evil, of course, and any non-evil person touching it gets 1d6 necrotic damage. Trying to attune it without being evil (without attuning, it is "just" a +2 weapon) gives you 10d6 necrotic and a wisdom save or turn to evil and try to gather a humanoid force against humankind. Make no mistake, I see Ilyana as being evil before acquiring the sword, but it just fits her personality like a glove.

Return to “Mystara”