Missing LJN Action Figure Books and Mercious Sticker? (Anybody got these?)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Mystara Way
Orc

Missing LJN Action Figure Books and Mercious Sticker? (Anybody got these?)

Post by Mystara Way » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:02 am

Hey gang,
I'm writing a Reference Guide to the LJN AD&D Action Toys. I've tracked down most sources, but there are few which still elude me. Anybody have these on hand, and willing to help me out with an overview of their contents?:

Mercious: Good Cleric (Male) puffy sticker...not to be confused with Mercion: Good Cleric (Female). As far as I know, this little puffy sticker is the only appearance of Mercious! But in the whole world wide web, I've found only one very blurry photo of that guy's sticker! Anybody have this sticker? I'm especially interested because his shield appears to have some kind of diamond(?) shape on it, which would be the holy symbol of some particular Immortal or Deity.

The Crown of Rulership coloring book? (I found scans of the first few pages of this, but the rest of the pages are missing.)

The Lost Wand coloring book? (I only found a cover image at Echohawk's Collector's Guide)

The Rescue of Ringlerun coloring book? (I only found a cover image)

The Giant Magical Coloring Book? (I haven't even found a cover image or description of this one)

The books for three D&D recordings: Black Dragon Bog, Quest of the Cursed Bone, and Quest of the Riddles (I have Attack of the Assassins). I found their audio on Youtube, but they also included picture books, which would show various locales in the world of the LJN figures.

Any help with these?

-Mystara Way

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: Missing LJN Action Figure Books and Mercious Sticker? (Anybody got these?)

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:00 am

Mystara Way wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:02 am
Mercious: Good Cleric (Male) puffy sticker...not to be confused with Mercion: Good Cleric (Female). As far as I know, this little puffy sticker is the only appearance of Mercious! But in the whole world wide web, I've found only one very blurry photo of that guy's sticker! Anybody have this sticker? I'm especially interested because his shield appears to have some kind of diamond(?) shape on it, which would be the holy symbol of some particular Immortal or Deity.
That is the only appearance of Mercious that I've ever seen, and if the image you're talking about is the one I'm thinking of (on the Toyarchive website), it is also the only image I've ever seen.
The Crown of Rulership coloring book? (I found scans of the first few pages of this, but the rest of the pages are missing.)
This one features the following characters:

Good: Strongheart, Charmay, Garn Graygaze
Evil: Warduke, Kelek, Raven, Foxfingers

Plot: Raven and Foxfingers drink a potion of invisibility to spy on Charmay. Garn accidentally knocks all of Charmay's scrolls on the ground, and uncovers a map to the Crown of Rulership. Foxfingers and Raven reveal themselves and steal the map. Charmay and Garn go tell Strongheart and then scry on the evildoers, who have taken the map to Warduke and Kelek. The heroes show up to stop them and a battle ensues. The villains manage to slip away and get to the Crown moments before the heroes. Warduke takes the Crown, only to have it swiped out of his hands by Foxfingers!

(Just can't trust evildoers not to turn on one another.)

Foxfingers trips while trying to escape Warduke, and the Crown slips from his fingers, teetering close to a bottomless pit. Just then, the heroes show up. Another battle ensues. During the chaos, Garn sneakily approaches the Crown, but Raven catches him with what appears to be either an entanglement spell or a rope of entanglement. Charmay catches Warduke, Raven, and Kelek in a web.

Foxfingers makes one last grab at the Crown, just as Kelek dispels the web. Foxfingers takes the crown, but it is knocked out of his hand by a rock Garn throws at him, and tumbles into the bottomless pit. The villains walk away, seeing no reason to continue the fight.

Other notes: Unlike some of the other books, this one is just a straight up coloring book. No additional puzzles or activities.
The Lost Wand coloring book? (I only found a cover image at Echohawk's Collector's Guide)
I don't own a copy of this one, but I want to say that I've seen full scans somewhere. I will double check, as I'm not certain.
The Rescue of Ringlerun coloring book? (I only found a cover image)
Characters Appearing:
Good: Ringlerun, Garn Graygaze, Strongheart, Charmay, Aurelia, Silverain
Evil: Kelek, Raven, Zarak, Warduke

Plot: Garn rushes into a chamber where Strongheart and the ladies are sitting. He is alarmed because Ringlerun has been captured by Warduke and Zarak. The heroes vow to Rescue Ringlerun (thus justifying the title of the book.)

Garn reveals that they have taken Ringlerun to Warduke's castle, as he points at a very crude map of the realm. The heroes split up to hit the villains from multiple sides. There are evidently no Horror movies in the LJN characters' world.

Silverain and Garn attempt to cross the Ice River to get to the castle, and clever readers must maneuver them through a deadly maze filled with what appear to be carnivorous sea serpents. (and presumably cold water.)

Charmay scrys on someone that clever readers who can connect the dots will discover is none other than Ringlerun!

Meanwhile, at Warduke's Castle (no, really- that's exactly what they wrote). Warduke and Zarak have Ringlerun in chains and are tormenting him with the knowledge that he is merely bait for a clever trap! Muahaha! (Maybe Warduke has a villainous mustache under his helmet that he twirls when he thinks of his evil plans). Part of the trap is for Raven to use her charmed giant bat to lift Strongheart up and carry him away. Kelek has a lizardman army at his beck and call; and Zarak has set up a net trap.

We pause momentarily to learn how to draw Strongheart, and to do a word scramble with SIlverain (wherein we learn that she is pretty much armed to the teeth!)

Aurelia has taken to the trees to scout, and discovers that Warduke's castle appears undefended! Strongheart isn't buying it (1E paladins had to have at least a 13 Wisdom, so maybe that's why he's so insightful.)

As if on cue, the lizardmen appear and attack. Charmay shouts a warning, but it is too late. They quickly overwhelm Strongheart with their sheer force of numbers. Fortunately, Charmay is able to dispel Kelek's hold on the lizardmen and they retreat back to the swamps.

(Interlude: "Find the Outline of Aurelia" puzzle. Which of these matches exactly?)

Just then, Raven appears, riding her giant bat, and attacks Aurelia in the trees. The bat snatches her up as she shouts for help! It is too late, though, the bat takes off towards the castle, leaving Charmay and Strongheart with no option but to follow.

Clever readers at this point can connect the dots to discover that Zarak has Aurelia chained up in the castle! Meanwhile, Raven attempts to unscramble the names of the heroes that are still roaming free as they appear in her witches' cauldron.

As Strongheart and Charmay ride towards the castle, Zarak swings in on a rope and knocks the paladin off his steed with a Sneak Attack! Charmay helps Strongheart to his feet as Zarak hightails it away, afraid of getting caught in a retributive spell from the enchantress... only to stumble in his own net trap! D'OH!!! The heroes pause momentarily to laugh at the silly assassin's plight, then head back on the warpath to Rescue Aurelia!!! Oh, and Ringlerun!!!

But first they must make their way through the Castle Wall Maze, with the help of the reader. Who must then also match each hero (and one villain) with their weapon of choice!

Having scaled the wall (in chain mail no less), Strongheart confronts Warduke atop the battlements. The two duel, as Charmay, Kelek, and Raven engage in a battle of spellcraft. As they all fight, someone is sneaking up the other side of the castle. Connecting the dots (pun intended), it is none other than Silverain! (Remember her from page 3?) She entangles Kelek in a magical rope, as we pause momentarily to learn how to draw Ringlerun (and perhaps remind us that he is the title character).

Strongheart has Warduke on the ropes, disarming the evil warrior. He gives them an ultimatum and lets them... go?

But Ringlerun is reunited and everyone is happy. Garn even shows up again. The end.

Other Notes: This one is a coloring and activity book. Garn is described as being Ringlerun's "loyal servant." The map Garn points to indicates regions such as "the Dust Desert," "the Land of No Hope," "the Old Oak Forest," "the Mountain of Fire," "the Ice River," and "the Land of Plenty." I'm guessing the Land of Plenty must be where the Good characters live, as everything else pretty much sounds bleak (except maybe the forest, where maybe Filaree lives.)

One other thing. In the Shady Dragon Inn accessory, Raven is a cleric. However, her clerical powers verge on druidic (evil druids weren't of course an option in either AD&D or BECMI), so one might easily presume her clerical patron is one of the natural world. She is described as a witch, which (ha) seems to fit, but I don't recall any witch classes in 1e or in BECMI.
The Giant Magical Coloring Book? (I haven't even found a cover image or description of this one)
This one is actually called "The Magical Coloring Book (Super-Size)" but I've never seen a copy of it.
The books for three D&D recordings: Black Dragon Bog, Quest of the Cursed Bone, and Quest of the Riddles (I have Attack of the Assassins). I found their audio on Youtube, but they also included picture books, which would show various locales in the world of the LJN figures.
I had some (all?) of the images for Black Dragon Bog at one point, but I will have to look for it. I know that Black Dragon Bog featured Strongheart and Figgen, though.

Quest for the Cursed Bone
Characters
Good: Filaree, Caruso, Strongheart, Mercion, Ringlerun
Evil: Skylla, Warduke, Zargash

Plot: Filaree has been put to magical sleep beyond Caruso’s magic to cure. Caruso goes to Strongheart’s castle for help, but it is beyond Mercion and Strongheart’s powers to heal. Filaree was cursed by a wizard, not a cleric. They have to get Ringlerun’s help. Skylla is actually responsible, having given a cursed bone to Filaree at the orders of Warduke and Zargash. One of Filaree's squirrel friends ends up telling the heroes what happened, and they go to retrieve the cursed bone.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Mystara Way
Orc

Post by Mystara Way » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:06 pm

Thanks a million Cthulhudrew! The summaries are a big help. The only coloring book which I've found a complete scan of was the "AD&D Characters" Book.
Yep, the blurry Toy Archive pic of Mercious is the only I could find.
As the Reference Guide comes together, I'll check back with you if any follow-up questions arise.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:28 pm

I did find an image of the cover of that Magical Coloring Book, which is the first evidence (other than the note on the back of the other books) that it exists.

Image here.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:28 pm
I did find an image of the cover of that Magical Coloring Book, which is the first evidence (other than the note on the back of the other books) that it exists.

Image here.
That link didnt work for me :/

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:50 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:31 pm
That link didnt work for me :/
Hmmm. Maybe try the long way:

Retro Reprints website, then do a search for "dragons" and it should pull up all the books associated with D&D, including the Magical Coloring Book cover.

Mystara Way
Orc

Post by Mystara Way » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:42 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Image here.
This is a great find - I'll add it to the Reference Guide.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:01 pm

I have the figures of the cartoon in my book closet, if you desire a picture, just ask ;P
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Mystara Way
Orc

Post by Mystara Way » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:24 pm

Cthulhudrew - any way you could share the orientations of the locales on the map? It is essential to the Reference Guide. If you prefer email: humanway at protonmail dot ch

BTW, in regard to Raven, there was a Witch NPC class by Tom Moldvay and Mulhausen in a 1980 Dragon mag. https://rpggeek.com/rpgissue/61035/drag ... 3-nov-1980

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:52 pm

Mystara Way wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:24 pm
BTW, in regard to Raven, there was a Witch NPC class by Tom Moldvay and Mulhausen in a 1980 Dragon mag. https://rpggeek.com/rpgissue/61035/drag ... 3-nov-1980
7th Level Magic Users were known as Warlocks. Perhaps female magic users of the same level would be referred to as Witches? Doesn't get around the Cleric description in Shady Dragon though, although it might be a retcon.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Mystara Way
Orc

Post by Mystara Way » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:46 am

Havard wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:52 pm

7th Level Magic Users were known as Warlocks. Perhaps female magic users of the same level would be referred to as Witches? Doesn't get around the Cleric description in Shady Dragon though, although it might be a retcon.
Yeah well the informal descriptors of the LJN characters were pretty loose. Crusader. Sorcerer. Norseman. Warrior. Knight. Witch. I agree there's no getting around the BECMI stats of Raven as a Cleric. However, in her reconception in other game editions, there'd be some wiggle room which could take into account such descriptors. Multiclass Cleric/Warlock etc.

Mystara Way
Orc

Post by Mystara Way » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:14 pm

Hey Andrew - if feasible, would you email me? traversetravis at protonmail dotcom

Mystara Way
Orc

Post by Mystara Way » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:33 am

Luckily I found a copy of Rescue of Ringlerun - cool map - yep, it really is a map of the significant portion of the "world of AD&D Action Figures"!

Now all I'm missing is the last half of the Crown of Rulership (I have the first pages, all the way till when Garn finds the scroll) - and, of course, the Magical Coloring Book - the only example I've found of it was from Gary Gygax's estate sale!

Update: I found the rest of the Crown of Rulership. Sweet. Er...now if someone would help me with images of:

Magical Coloring Book (Super-Size)
The book illustrations from Black Dragon Bog (I have the audio)
The book illustrations from Quest of the Riddles
The book illustrations from Quest for the Cursed Bone

P.S. I also found a close-up up Mercious Good Cleric (Male). His holy symbol is basically...a cross!

Return to “Mystara”