Gnome Realms of Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Gnome Realms of Mystara

Post by Havard »

Gecko wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:43 am
Havard wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:42 pm
That's a nice story Gecko! I'd love to see a writeup for those groups! :)
Unfortunately I never had "group names", so even If I found the time to write them up, what topic title would I post them under? I don't know, maybe just a seperate post by character rather than by group. In any event I doubt I'll find the time anytime soon.

Edit: Off topic but I thought I would mention that a draft of the first character from that group is now up:
Michel Druschel, a Shifter Fey-disciple

Edit2: and Wannlun's write up is now posted
Thanks for linking these here! :)

Always interesting too see examples of how such elements have been used in play.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko »

Havard wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:34 pm
Thanks for linking these here! :)

Always interesting too see examples of how such elements have been used in play.
maybe I'll eventually get around to posting the other group as well, which includes the Gnome Swashbuckler Gariel Noostik (along with the Human Wizard Ghulam Sadiq, the Kara-Kara Revelator/Barbarian Ewunga, the Elf Duskblade Nadrim Alfasser, & the Half-Orc Swordsage Mélisande).

Greenbrier
Gnoll

Post by Greenbrier »

Has anybody done anything with idea of gnomes repopulating Torkyn Falls in Glantri? Found some interesting old ideas in the [Outer World] Glantri, 8 miles per hex mapping thread -
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:12 am
metal wrote:Is there a set location for Torkyn Falls (gnomes)?
If I'm not mistaken, it is located in the vicinity of the three volcanoes NE of Boldavia. There aren't (IIRC) any scales on the map in the Dragonlord novels, so it is kind of hard to be certain.

Torkyn Falls should be in ruins, by the events of the novels, though I personally wouldn't be too offended to see them as having been restored in the centuries since those novels took place. Gnomes shouldn't have the problems in Glantri that Dwarves and Halflings face, given their more inherently magical natures. (I also assume that they were originally founded by gnomes fleeing the Falun Caverns in the Northern Reaches, but that's never been established canonically.)
Thorf wrote:
Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:58 am

Anyway, I agree with Cthulhudrew about the state of Torkyn Falls. It could very well have been repopulated after the story of the Dragonlord Trilogy.
Zendrolion wrote:
Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:13 pm
I think Dragonlord Trilogy makes a lot of interesting additions; it'd be a pity to use them not! Some things need to be adjusted a little - but I'd say not more than anything Mystaran has to be tweaked to be used together with something else Mystaran... ;)

Torkyn Fall should be found in the 8-m hex south or south-west of the southernmost cone of the Three Fires Volcanoes. In fact, Dragonlord of Mystara says:

... the triple - cones of the Three Fires Volcanoes as they rose just behind Torkyn Peak...

and who's speaking (Thelvyn and his group) are coming toward it from the south/south-west.

The city should have been rather large, probably in the order of 20,000-30,000 inhabitants (Thelvyn says it's larger than any surface town he's ever seen), built on eight levels and entirely underground. It's said to have about one thousand years (in AC 500), so it should likely trace its origins back to the Gnomes' flight from the Falun Caverns (BC 490-300).

About chances that the Gnomes could have repopulated the city, this seems quite unlikely according to the novel. In fact, one of the Gnomes tell Thelvyn and his fellows that the site of Torkyn Falls is quite unstable becouse of volcanic activity and earthquakes, and that they were going to abandon the place also becouse of that (not only becouse dragons were attacking the city).

Some descriptions of the city taken from the novel (citations taken by LoZompatore in the Italian MMB):

Most remarkable, at least to Thelvyn, was the fact that Torkyn Fall was larger than any aboveground town he had ever seen. There were eight complete levels and parts of three more above that, plus several more below. Each level consisted of corridors and chambers wandering through the great plateau formed by the ancient lava flows. If all the tunnels and chambers were laid out flat together, they would have covered the area of a large city.

The innermost chamber was also the largest, the great Chamber of the Fall. While the front of this chamber had been cut into a series of ledges, terraces, and long, massive ramps and bridges of stone, the back was a natural cavern of tremendous size, over three hundred feet high in the center. An underground stream emerged near the top, tumbling in a long, misty stream into a small, deep pool, which drained by some unseen tunnel below. This was Torkyn Fall itself, from which the city of the gnomes had derived its name.

"As you can see, Torkyn Fall is built inside stone that has its origins in deep flows of lava from the volcanoes of this region. We've found it easy to mine, since it is a very soft, crumbly stone, and that allowed us to build a city of chambers and passages unlike any other gnomish or dwarven city in the world. Our excavating devices have been able to eat their way through the stone as if it were cake. But the stone is also quite fragile and unstable. The blasts of fire and lightning from the dragons are shaking apart our entire mountain."
"Could your city still be saved if the dragons should abandon their attack?" Sir George asked.
Parkon shook his head slowly. "We dare not dwell here, for we realize now that we have been as fortunate as we have been shortsighted. This is indeed a volcanic region, and very unstable. If the dragons do not themselves destroy Torkyn Fall, then the inevitable earthquakes associated with volcanic activity would make this place unsafe."

Some of the tunnels to their mines led for miles into other parts of the surrounding mountains, and the mine tunnels themselves were fairly extensive after centuries of work.

"Only here in the Highlands," Sir George pointed out. "Torkyn Fall was first begun almost a thousand years ago.

"If Torkyn Fall still exists," Perrantin said dubiously. "The cities of the gnomes have been failing for some time."

"I don't know if we will ever meet again. This land has not been kind to us these past few years, with our cities falling one after another. We have strongholds in other lands, places were our race is flourishing. I think you know the place I mean."

The last two passages are rather interesting, becouse they imply that Gnomes have other cities around the KW and neighbouring lands; Torkyn Fall seems not to be the only one city of Gnomes after the fall of the Falun Caverns to the Kobolds. Moreover, gnomish minorities could have migrated to Heldann, Wendar, Darokin, Rockhome, and beyond (Norwold and Hule).

BTW, I've added Torkyn Falls to my list of additions, above. ;)
I could envision the gnomes have returned, or are ready to, and perhaps they approach the Earth Elementalists in Glantri to find a way to help protect the area from the earthquakes and volcanic activity Zendrolion pointed out? I guess the Fire Elementalists would be useful too, but I think they were all Flaemish and I wouldn't imagine they'd want to help another race. For most of the other Princes though, what could be wrong with gnomes after you've made a kobold Prince? Given the location of Torkyn Fall in the far NE near the 3 volcanoes, I'd think all the others would love to see a Gnomish barony or even a Principality established up there to be a thorn in Morphail's side
:?: Vote for your favorite Prince of Glantri! http://thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23516

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

This map is actually not my work, Yet I used it to mark Torkrynn Falls
Using the magnificent work of Di Emanuele Betti about Glantri http://pandius.com/atlante_geografico_glantri.pdf
I succeeded to Place Torkrynn Falls from the Dragonlord of Mystara trilogy.
I had made this map earlier yet the discussion here on The Piazza made me search it and post it here.
I made this in my research of the Glantri/Ethengar maps, yet this section fell off the map I used so it remained in its original form as E.Betti did make.

I had to rename the Mountain into Torkryn Peak, and place paths, mines and the ruins. I used 3 city ruin symbols to designate the size of the city.
Today I would use one (the NE) surface city ruin and the other two the underground city ruin symbol from my legend.My intention is to include it later in the 1 mile hex map of the Heldann Region closeby using my own hex legend.

I hope this works for you thusfar.
I have not placed former borders owned by the city, as these no longer do exist
Last edited by Robin on Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Nice map Robin!

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

Havard wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:32 pm
Nice map Robin!
Thanx
But I only somewhat readjusted http://pandius.com/atlante_geografico_glantri.pdf work to encompass the Dragon lord locations.
I don't want to take credit for someone else's work.
did this while working on the Ethengar NW and Glantri map. yet this section was beyond Ethengar-hex-1-NW-769569263,(Actually just NW of the Streel Glacier on my map) so I stored it to be used later when going Heldann in 1 mile hexes
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

Greenbrier
Gnoll

Post by Greenbrier »

Thanks for sharing and enhancing it Robin, his maps are beautiful. The font is hard for me to read sometimes even zoomed in, but in this one I see a village to the NE called "Forra Rossa" which seems to translate to Red Ravine. For this setup, I'd leave it in Italian - perfect as a nearby Caurenzan village where those helpful Earth Elementalists might be found!
:?: Vote for your favorite Prince of Glantri! http://thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23516

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Robin wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:02 pm
Using the magnificent work of Di Emanuele Betti about Glantri http://pandius.com/atlante_geografico_glantri.pdf
Cool find! BTW, the guy's name is Emanuele, "Di" just means "by" :-)

GP

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin »

agathokles wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:27 am
Robin wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:02 pm
Cool find! BTW, the guy's name is Emanuele, "Di" just means "by" :-)

GP
Thanx
I see the region of Torkrynn Falls as ruins with several still usable areas/buildings and many things left behind to be hauled out by the gnomes or others(hired PC's for example) :geek:
Funny, :oops: :P I always thought he was female, just like lady Di. Maybe it is because many italian names are used in english spoken regions as female. I was never sure, as my own name is bigender too. ...so thanx for the explanation. ;)

I used Emanuele's maps to merge these with those of Micky to make as a base to the Ethengar NW map. They gave excellent extra information. :ugeek:
When finished with my Karameikos maps, I will return to Ethengar. Even though I like the Traldar woodlands , I also do miss the wind blowing in my hair. And there is still a lot more to research there. :o

Greenbrier
Gnoll

Post by Greenbrier »

I love that picture, that's a great image for the area. Thanks Robin!

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Reading through Gaz7 for some of the Norse plane discussions, I noticed that Gaz7 notes that Morigsverg sometimes work with Gnomes.

Does this refer to the now lost Auld Gnomes or have more recent Gnome civilizations been able to contact the Morigsverg do you think?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Gold Dragon

Post by agathokles »

I would assume it refers to the present times. There are gnomes travelling the shadowdeep as far as Cynidicea. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded/worked also with moulder dwarves.

G

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer »

Havard wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:56 pm
Reading through Gaz7 for some of the Norse plane discussions, I noticed that Gaz7 notes that Morigsverg sometimes work with Gnomes.

Does this refer to the now lost Auld Gnomes or have more recent Gnome civilizations been able to contact the Morigsverg do you think?

-Havard
The dark elves of Svartalfheim trade with gnomes too, according to Planes of Chaos. "Svartalfheim's weavers are the finest of Ysgard; their cloth holds color well, it's soft but also warm, and it resists tears and cuts. Mages say the best of it's good enough to be enchanted into magical cloaks, hats, and other garments. The weavers sell their goods to gnomes and other more respectable middle men."

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

ripvanwormer wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:56 am
Havard wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:56 pm

-Havard
The dark elves of Svartalfheim trade with gnomes too, according to Planes of Chaos. "Svartalfheim's weavers are the finest of Ysgard; their cloth holds color well, it's soft but also warm, and it resists tears and cuts. Mages say the best of it's good enough to be enchanted into magical cloaks, hats, and other garments. The weavers sell their goods to gnomes and other more respectable middle men."
Nice! I am sure Gnomes love their quality shirts and hats. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “Mystara”