Dragonborn, Tieflings and Other Races?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Hugin
Green Dragon

Re: Dragonborn, Tieflings and Other Races?

Post by Hugin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:16 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:36 pm
I saw a joke...
That was a great post, rip! The whole thing. I would have given that a thumbs and tip if I could.

Kythkyn
Ogre

Post by Kythkyn » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:45 pm

JoeNotCharles wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:07 pm
Another good place for dragonborn is the jungle southwest of the Savage Coast, which is ruled by a red dragon named Pyre who has a lot of orc worshippers. It's also close to the Lizard Kingdoms which are home to a lot of variant lizardmen created by the aranea mages of Herath. So Pyre could have further altered a tribe of lizard men to be more dragon-like to become enforcers of the dragon cult among the orcs. Or could have created/birthed dragonborn directly, and they could have a more disdainful relationship with lizardmen. The tortle homelands are near here too, there could be a whole reptile-people theme.

For tieflings, going by the 4E version where they all originate in a common curse, they could result from a slight re-theming of the Red Curse. I honestly forget what it's actual game effects are.
I was kind of waiting for someone to say Savage Coast so I didn't have to :lol:

The Red Curse would probably not exactly create Tieflings though, but maybe like offspring of parents so cursed. Actually, it's a neat idea
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:11 am

Considering Dragonborn, it is worth noting that Mystara already has numerous reptilian races. The Krolli are quite similar to Dragonborn, and are found in the Arm of the Immortal.

Tieflings have already been mentioned, but it is worth noting that the 4e Tieflings are actually pretty different from the Planescape Tieflings, so the identification with the Diaboli is actually a better option for 4e Tieflings, whereas 2e Tieflings (and Aasimar) are much closer to the Glantrian Progeny.

Goliaths as well have a close correspondence with the Stalwart race, and 4e Eladrin are not too different from Mystaran Sidhe.

In general, Mystara has so many races that it is hard to find something that doesn't really have a reasonable replacement. So, I'd generally just reskin the new 4e (and 5e, but I'm not familiar enough with 5e) races to existing Mystaran races with similar characteristics, rather than having to shoehorn them into the setting.

GP

Cerulean
Goblin

Post by Cerulean » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:46 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:09 am
Races in Mystara usually have a Gazetteer written for them and a main area of land they control (Alfheim, Five Shires, etc). I know my question is going to irk some purists but I'm going to ask it anyway. Were would you locate, in Mystara, the kingdoms of Dragonborns, Tieflings and other more recent races?
I thought I'd share what I use for my 4e campaign. Feel free to use it or not...each person's campaign is their own. As for myself, I love hearing other peoples' ideas which may spark ideas of my own.

Tieflings:
In Mystara, the tieflings hail from the lost kingdom of Bael Ryc’zoth the ruins of which lay amid the Adri Varma plateau. The tiefling kingdom fell long ago in a war betwixt it and old Wendar. The conflict brought both kingdoms to the brink of destruction, yet, in the end, Wendar was victorious over Bael Ryc’zoth. While the armies of Wendar razed the citadels of Bael Ryc’zoth , many tieflings fled their land. Some came to settle in what would become Glantri, while others ventured further still. The newly-humbled tieflings took on lives of obscurity, hoping to avoid further retribution from the Wendar elves. As a people, they are virtually no more, spread thin and scattered throughout the Known World. It is rare to meet a tiefling, and far rarer to meet them in a numbers greater than three. Small enclaves do exist though, but only in the most unlikely places—Glantri, Ethengar, Slagovich, and of course, the cities of Thyatis.

Dragonborn:
The dragonborn of Mystara have not had a unified kingdom of their own since before the rise of the Oltec. In its time, it was known as Ankioxhitalla and was magnificent to behold in all its grandeur. However, among the giant kin, it had many enemies, and it was doomed to fall by their hands. What is left of Ankioxhitalla now lies where the waters of the Arbandrine River slow and gather to become the Malpheggi swamp. Beings of great honor and long memory, the dragonborn continued their ways long after their kingdom was torn asunder by the giant hordes. For many a year, the dragonborn wandered, scattered and troubled over their turn of fortune. In time, the dragonborn gathered again into family groups in out of the way areas of Brun. Although, to this day, the scions of Ankioxhitalla remain few and are rarely encountered in the Known World, they can be found in small enclaves in Darokin, Ylaruam, Thyatis, Ierendi and Minrothad. However, the hearts of many dragonborn yearn to explore and adventure, so whilst one travels, it would not be surprising to come upon roving dragonborn either.

—Shawn J.

JamesMishler
Ogre

Post by JamesMishler » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:08 am

I developed two possible ways to include Tieflings and Dragonborn in Mystara: http://pandius.com/tiefling.html

Cerulean
Goblin

Post by Cerulean » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:59 pm

I was wondering if I could “bend” the topic of this thread a bit and ask the question:

Which 4e races would you use in a Mystara campaign?

In most campaigns, human, elf, dwarf and halfling will likely be used, but what other races would you use along with them? (Choose about 6 to 8 that you like the most.)

The 4e races:
Dragonborn ( PHB I )
Dwarf ( PHB I )
Eladrin ( PHB I )
Elf ( PHB I )
Half-Elf ( PHB I )
Halfling ( PHB I )
Human ( PHB I)
Tiefling ( PHB I )
Deva (PHB II)
Gnome (PHB II)
Goliath (PHB II
Half-Orc (PHB II
Shifter (PHB II)
Githzerai (PHB III)
Minotaur (PHB III)
Shardmind (PHB III)
Wilden (PHB III)
Changeling (EPG)
Kalashtar (EPG)
Warforged (EPG)
Drow (FRPG)
Genasi (FRPG)
Mul (DSCS)
Thri-Kreen (DSCS)
Revenant (HoS)
Shade (HoS)
Vryloka (HoS)
Hamadryad (HoF)
Pixie (HoF)
Satyr (HoF)
Hengeyokai (DrgM)
Kenku (DrgM)

Abbreviations
MM I – Monster Manual I
MM II – Monster Manual II
PHBI – Player’s Handbook
PHBII – Player’s Handbook II
PHBIII – Player’s Handbook III
EPG – Eberron Player’s Guide
FRPG – Forgotten Realms Player’s Guide
DSCS – Dark Suns Campaign Setting
HoS – Heroes of Shadow
HoF – Heroes of the Feywild
DrgM—Dragon Magazine
Last edited by Cerulean on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:54 pm

Cerulean wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:59 pm
I was wondering if I could “bend” the topic of this thread a bit and ask the question:

Which 4e races are everyone’s favorites?
Since this is a topic in the Mystara forum and not in the 4E forum, I assume you are asking which 4E races are our favorites to use in Mystara?
In most campaigns, human, elf, dwarf and halfling will likely be used, but what other races would you use along with them? (Choose about 6 to 8 that you like the most.)

I will bend the rules you set up a little too and comment on more races:

Dragonborn ( PHB I ) - This race requires a bit more adaptation and will be rare in my Mystara campaigns.
Dwarf ( PHB I ) - Common, found in most Known World countries except Glantri
Eladrin ( PHB I ) - Uncommon. I reskin this race as Mystara's Sidhe.
Elf ( PHB I ) . Common. Found in most Mystara countries, most notably in Alfheim.
Half-Elf ( PHB I ) Rare- Almost never found outside the Savage Coast
Halfling ( PHB I ) Common. Most notably in the Five Shires
Human ( PHB I) Common.
Tiefling ( PHB I ) Rare. See discussion above. Glantri would seem most appropriate
Deva (PHB II) Rare. I could see these as reskinned "Demi-Gods" from WotI; that is offspring between Immortals and Mortals.
Gnome (PHB II) - Common. Found in Karameikos and in most Dwarven lands.
Goliath (PHB II - Uncommon. Reskinned Stalwarts.
Half-Orc (PHB II. Common. See the Darokin Gaz.
Shifter (PHB II). Rare. I dont really have a good spot for these in Mystara. Alphatia has been suggested.
Githzerai (PHB III) - Rare. I dont really have a good spot for these in Mystara. They could be outer planar visitors found in Glantri and other places. IMO they feel more like something out of Planescape or Spelljammer and not so much Mystaran IMO.
Minotaur (PHB III) - Common. These could easily fit in Mystara, though most Mystarans view them as monsters.
Shardmind (PHB III) . Rare. I dont see any particular place for these on Mystara.
Wilden (PHB III) - Uncommon. I guess these could be related to Treants and other plant-like creatures on Mystara.
Changeling (EPG) - Rare. I dont have any particularly good ideas for these on Mystara. I guess they could be related to Dopplegangers and other shapeshifters.
Kalashtar (EPG) - Rare. These are linked to ancestral spirits, but I dont know if they will fit as anything but visitors to Mystara.
Warforged (EPG). Uncommon. These could be remnants of Blackmoor.
Drow (FRPG). Rare. I try to keep these out since Shadowelves occupy much of the same niche.
Genasi (FRPG). Uncommon. They fit in Glantri, Ylaruam and Alphatia.
Mul (DSCS). Are these just half-dwarves or are there more specific things connecting them to Dark Sun?
Thri-Kreen (DSCS) - Rare outside of the Savage Coast.
Revenant (HoS) - Unknown
Shade (HoS) - Unknown
Vryloka (HoS) - Unknown
Hamadryad (HoF) - Uncommon. I would use these for Dryads from PC1.
Pixie (HoF) . Uncommon. Pixies are found all over Mystara.
Satyr (HoF) . Uncommon. Found all over Mystara.
Hengeyokai (DrgM) - Uncommon. Perhaps in Ochalea?
Kenku (DrgM) - Uncommon. I think these have a Mystaran feel to them. Perhaps related to Gyerians? Or found in Ochalea or on Myoshima?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:10 pm

Indeed this doesn't seem the best board where to ask that specific question. As for Havard's version, I must say that 4e does its best to make things difficult by changing several topoi of the earlier versions -- e.g., dwarves, halflings and gnomes in Mystara (and BECMI) are mostly fighters, while especially the latter two in 4e are pretty much tuned to other classes. Also Mystaran Elves are difficult to represent with the 4e classes, as neither Sylvan Elves, Water Elves, nor Shadow Elves have direct matches -- the nearest being 4e Elves with Sylvan Elves. Mystara has around 40 other playable races, from Trolls to Sea Giants to Sphynxes to Weretigers, a few of which can be mapped onto 4e races. Thus, most other 4e races seem unnecessary.

GP

Cerulean
Goblin

Post by Cerulean » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:55 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:54 pm

Since this is a topic in the Mystara forum and not in the 4E forum, I assume you are asking which 4E races are our favorites to use in Mystara?
Oops. Thanks Havard. Yes, that is what I was suggesting. (I went back and edited the post also.)

Gecko
Storm Giant

Shifters

Post by Gecko » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:11 am

Havard wrote:
Shifter (PHB II). Rare. I dont really have a good spot for these in Mystara. Alphatia has been suggested.
As mentioned elsewhere I had once set myself the challenge of seeing if I could figure out a way to reskin some random races to potentially mystaranize them, and one of the one's I got was "Shifter"

Thinking it over I decided that since the Vallee des Loups has had lots of werewolves for many years now, there could be some youngsters coming of age nowadays who have enough lycanthropic ancestry to make them Shifters. I'm not sure if it's said anywhere about whether or how much lycanthropy is inheritable, but I figure if a few of your grandparents are themselves half-lycanthropes you could get a reskinned Shifter (though I'd play down the physical differences - they should be able to blend in with humans - just slightly brutish looking).

I'm still not sure I want that in my mainstream Mystara campaigns, but it's an idea maybe someone else can use. A draft of the character I made using this idea can be found here

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:37 pm

Havard wrote:
Mul (DSCS). Are these just half-dwarves or are there more specific things connecting them to Dark Sun?

-Havard
Dunno how they were addresed in 2e, but in 4e there was an article saying how to adapt the muls to any other setting. So, at least in 4e, they were just half-dwarves.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:37 pm
Havard wrote:

-Havard
Dunno how they were addresed in 2e, but in 4e there was an article saying how to adapt the muls to any other setting. So, at least in 4e, they were just half-dwarves.
They're half-dwarves in Dark Sun 2e too. But Dark Sun dwarves are rather different from normal 2e dwarves, much like other races, so they are not directly compatible with other campaign settings.

GP

Return to “Mystara”