Goodman Games Isle of Dread - Is Mine!

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

mserabian
Goblin

Goodman Games Isle of Dread - Is Mine!

Post by mserabian » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:58 am

Hey all just received my preorder of isle of dread. It looks fantastic.

Here’s a couple of quick notes...

Introductions are pages 5-15, reprints are pages 16-91, 5e conversion and all the new stuff is pages 92-322!

Inside front and back end pages feature the color front and back covers, version 1 on the front and 2 on the back.

The 5e version even has its own key to the continental map of the Known World (Mystara) with sadly no development, just the same one page or so overview as in the originals.

More as I go through it all.

Mal

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Re: Goodman Games Isle of Dread - Is Mine!

Post by Dread Delgath » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:12 am

I am still waiting on my pre-order... :roll:

I know the 5e conversion author added some details to the Isle encounters, but I was wondering if he touched on the main continent of the Known World. You've answered that question for many of us, so thanks for that! :cool:

That doesn't make me unhappy. If I were to run a KW campaign, it would be pre "Mystara" naming. heheh. I'd use all the gazetteers I have (nearly all of them in deadtree or pdf) and make up much as the players explored. That is still a LOT of world to explore!

But to kick all of this off, the Isle of Dread would come first!

Of course, I'd have to throw in the Princess Ark series eventually, because I always liked the flying ships. ;)
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:13 am

mserabian wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:58 am
Introductions are pages 5-15, reprints are pages 16-91, 5e conversion and all the new stuff is pages 92-322!

Inside front and back end pages feature the color front and back covers, version 1 on the front and 2 on the back.

The 5e version even has its own key to the continental map of the Known World (Mystara) ...the same one page or so overview as in the originals.
:D :cool:

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:45 pm

mserabian wrote:
The 5e version even has its own key to the continental map of the Known World (Mystara) with sadly no development, just the same one page or so overview as in the originals.
What would you have liked to see? Expanded material that didn't appear in the original? Or were there points in the original that didn't align to the map given? I wonder how fans would react to a map with new material, especially given that this is from Goodman Games and not WotC.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:10 pm

Congrats Mal! :)

It is interesting to hear about this book. I will be getting a copy when I find time to order one. What is contained in the "new stuff" section of the book? Just conversions of the original encounters and monsters or something else?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:20 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:10 pm
Congrats Mal! :)

It is interesting to hear about this book. I will be getting a copy when I find time to order one. What is contained in the "new stuff" section of the book? Just conversions of the original encounters and monsters or something else?

-Havard
From what I read at Goodman Games website interview with the author who converted the material, he updated the island encounters and added some stuff that should be really exciting. The only clue I recall reading about was one of the side islands around the reef and a reference to "shark week". :twisted:

Oh, and I suspect lots and lots of dinosaurs!
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Cerulean
Goblin

Post by Cerulean » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:36 pm

mserabian wrote:

Thanks for the info, Mal. I wasn't aware of this book, just the first one they did for B1 & B2.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:03 am

mserabian wrote:

I got a copy of this as well, and I am pleased to report that in addition to preserving all of the Known World information from the reproduction of the original blue X1 and orange X1, they do write the new 5E adventure with the Known World and Mystara in mind. So you get three copies of the Known World map and three copies of the pronunciation guide and Known World nation descriptions...the blue X1 version, the orange X1 version and the 5E version. The 5E map is based off the orange X1 map which has Threshold and Kelvin marked in Karameikos.

The default 5E setting for the Isle of Dread, which places it in the Elemental Plane of Water, is dealt with in an appendix.

So this really is a Known World/Mystara adventure first and foremost.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:10 am

I have to wait for some money (as I live of 125euro's monthly now). Even my birthday(03-01) didn't bring much, yet I will collect and eventually optain a copy for myself...at least that is the intention.
What all of you told about it here, absolutely stirred my interest....and hey...maybe I make an Isle of Dread 1 mile Hex map in the future, then more information the better :P
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:57 am

I don't suppose any of the maps fold out?

I get my copy (supposedly) on Friday. I will find out everything there is to know then, of course, but curiosity and the cat, y'know...
;)

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:54 am

No inserts or fold out maps, everything is printed on the pages of the hardback.

Bringing up the hex maps reminds me...this latest work perpetuates the error that goes all the way back to the original X1. The Known World map portrays the Isle of Dread on 24 mile hexes as being about 150 miles from north to south, but the 6 mile hex close up map of the island portrays it as being about 250 miles north to south. I prefer the latter myself, and just requires the Isle of Dread to stretch out bigger in the sea on the Known World map.

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Post by DirtSkull » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:16 am

The new monster section from this and KOTB I use in other games. I'm putting the Giant Ant, Soldier Ant, Living Iron Statue, Living Rock Statue, Spitting Cobra, Skeletal Snake and Swarm of Sandlings in my 5e B4 game. The Coffer Corpse and Osquip made it in from the KOTB. Good Stuff.

Dread Delgath
Cloud Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 am

I hope to find PDFs of these someday, so I can print out just the sections (new monsters & items appendices, and the 5e adventures themselves) I need for the table-top, rather than clunking the whole book out at every game!

I'm not too worried about the map not being fold-out. I'll most likely make a large scale blank interior copy of it for the players to start with and have them fill in the interior spaces as they explore.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:22 pm

NPCDave wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:54 am
Bringing up the hex maps reminds me...this latest work perpetuates the error that goes all the way back to the original X1.
Did they correct the missing secret door in the temple that cropped up in the orange cover X1 map? (northwest corner of the Chamber of the Great One; area 39 on the orange cover module, area 2 on the blue cover).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

NPCDave
Stone Giant

Post by NPCDave » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:28 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:22 pm
NPCDave wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:54 am
Bringing up the hex maps reminds me...this latest work perpetuates the error that goes all the way back to the original X1.
Did they correct the missing secret door in the temple that cropped up in the orange cover X1 map? (northwest corner of the Chamber of the Great One; area 39 on the orange cover module, area 2 on the blue cover).
No, the replica of the orange version of X1 does not have the secret door. The 5E version does have the secret door though.

Return to “Mystara”