Mystara Lizardman Lore from The Dragon's Den

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Mystara Lizardman Lore from The Dragon's Den

Post by Havard » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:10 pm

The Dragon's Den has this weird history of whether the three adventures contained in that boxed set should be placed in Thunder Rift, Karameikos or the weird Karameikos variant called the Greetlands. However, this may have caused us to overlook some of the really cool stuff that is in there. One thing is the new Otterkin race we are discussing in this thread.

Another thing is the Lizardman Lore found in the adventure Wild Dragon Den by Ken Rollston. I am wondering how much can be taken from this adventure and applied to Mystara lizardmen in general?

Lizardspeak: The module gives some advice for the DM to change his voice to make it sound like a Lizardman's language.

Lair Construction: There's probably a lot that can be taken from the description of these caves, but I especially like the hidden doors made from hide skins, mud and slime.

Mushroom farms: Interesting to learn more about Lizardman diets and how they get their food.

Dragonscale Clerics At first I wasn't sure if these were Lizardmen or Humans, but I think that "the Tribe" were lizardmen. They were given additional scales from the Dragon in the adventure. Who is their Immortal though? I'm thinking Pearl: The Moon Dragon. Is the Dragon in the adventure also a follower of The Moon Dragon? Could there be other Dragonscale Clerics out there?

Face gemstones. These lizardmen wear gemstones clued to their face. The "glue" is made from parts of gelatinous cube and green slime. A lizard man's status in the tribe is depicted by the value of the stones he/she wears. pg. 3 under: Lizard man face stones (-Gravesguardian)

There is plenty more to mine from this adventure, but I will stop there for now. What do you think about applying these ideas to Lizardmen elsewhere on Mystara, even among the Hollow World Malpheggi and the Shazak of the Savage Coast perhaps?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Re: Mystara Lizardman Lore from The Dragon's Den

Post by Gravesguardian » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:14 am

You forgot to list that members of the Great Dragon tribe wear gemstones on their faces. The "glue" is made from parts of gelatinous cube and green slime. A lizard man's status in the tribe is depicted by the value of the stones he/she wears. pg. 3 under: Lizard man face stones

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:04 am

Gravesguardian wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:14 am
You forgot to list that members of the Great Dragon tribe wear gemstones on their faces. The "glue" is made from parts of gelatinous cube and green slime. A lizard man's status in the tribe is depicted by the value of the stones he/she wears. pg. 3 under: Lizard man face stones
Indeed, great additional detail. It really helps visualize these Lizardmen. I'm sure there is more in this module we can mine as well.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:05 pm

This is indeed very interesting.
I my opinion these adventures are actually on Mystara, not Thunderrift or the Weird (indeed) Greetlands.
Eitherway, the information brings way more detail to these creatures, the new otterkin (I think this is a race on the brink of extinction, even if you assume they are related with the jorries on the Savage Coast), and other interesting snippets
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:13 pm

Havard wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:10 pm

Mushroom farms: Interesting to learn more about Lizardman diets and how they get their food.
The Black Mountain Caves/Catacombs portion of TC1 has a goblinnish mushroom farm in their lair. Basically, the mulch/waste/graveyard of the tribe is used to grow fungi to supplement their diet. :?

"Why do these mushrooms taste funny?"
"What did happen to the chief's jester, anyway...?"
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:40 pm

RobJN wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:13 pm
"Why do these mushrooms taste funny?"
"What did happen to the chief's jester, anyway...?"
:D
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Post by Gravesguardian » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:58 pm

pg. 2 also lists the tribe as using the crude oil from the pools to illuminate various chambers through out the complex. (Are they the only tribe to do this? Is it done at the dragon's suggestion?)
pg. 6-7 mentions giant leech traps at the bottom of pols of water. (Do all lizard man tribes do this?)
pg. 7 also talks about a mud room where the lizard men test each others wrestling skills. (Do all lizard men learn to wrestle or just this tribe?)
pg. 7 also lists family nests that are separated by lines of stones. (Do other lizard men do this when multiple family nests are in the same chamber?)
*Note on the glue: it's also used to bond the unstable sandstone of the lair's walls and ceiling.* (How did they learn this? From the dragon or from trial and error?)
pg. 9 has the smoke room for drying meat. (There's the hint that 2 carcasses are lizard men: is the tribe cannibals or are the carcasses from another tribe?)
pg. 9 has the Vault of the Ancestors: it lists animal/reptile skins wrapped around packages in various niches; but, doesn't say anything more about them. (What's inside the packages? Remains of ancestors?)
pg. 11 lists the Hanging Gardens: full of harvested drying vegetation and the room smells of boiled spinach. (Do other tribes supplement their meat w/ vegetation?)
pg. 13 lists the Trophy Hall of Warriors: housing hundreds of grim, mummified, lizard man heads - painted w/ vivid red, blue and green pigmented clays. Some niches hold treasure: an interesting item is the Amulet of Protection +1 made from the sternum of a lizard man.

Irondrake
Ogre

Post by Irondrake » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:00 pm

I recently ran this adventure in my Mystara campaign, and the previous one, Wild Dragon's Den. I very much liked the flavor added to the lizard men tribe, and plan on adopting it for all lizard men in my campaign. As for the Otterkin, well, I had no idea what that creature was, so just played it off as a rare type of humanoid monster that the PCs have never encountered before.

Harrowford
Kobold

Post by Harrowford » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Also, they use pictographs to record events and activities in Area 22. "harvesting slime and algae, tunneling caves, raiding. . ., hunting . . ., huge black dragon devouring bound lizard men". If other tribes do that it could record an areas history in a way.

In Area 20 they have recorded their tribal history on the walls with red circles and marks as a written language. Other tribes might have similar marks with different colors.

They also use magic symbols, or at least, mundane marks to protect against the Shadows. Only the Dragon Scale Clerics have the amulets with the red circle and serpent squiggle denoting their power in the tribe. Not even the Chief has one which means the tribe puts extra importance/care on their religious rooms. This could be something unique to this tribe as the Black Dragon (Mouth-of-Burning-Slime) gave Gresst a scale for a breastplate and said that his line of spawn should grow in wisdom and magical powers. The High Dragonscale Cleric and the other most likely great grandchildren of Gresst.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:50 pm

Excellent additions!

I think this is really something that could be helpful for making Mystara Lizardmen unique.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:17 pm

Maybe you know already. Yet keep in mind that Kobolds are depicted in other D&D editions as lizardkin.
This is not so on Mystara, here they are dirty filthy doglike humanoids with scale like hairs (clogged together due the filth and a rat-like tail.
The are in fact belonging to the Caninoid humanoids.
Illustrations of Lizard like kobolds should not be kobold but Caymen instead.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

Return to “Mystara”