Isle of the Abbey - Black Box/RC - Dungeon #34

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Isle of the Abbey - Black Box/RC - Dungeon #34

Post by DirtSkull » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:27 am

Looking for more info on this. The author, Randy Maxwell uses "Known World" and puts no importance on the location. Has anyone placed it, run it or fleshed it out more. I'm giving my party an option as they return from the Sind Kingdoms to Thyatis, they're not quite ready for X8.

Gravesguardian
Guardian of the Grave
Location: wandering Thunder Rift dealing w/ the threats that spring up

Re: Isle of the Abbey - Black Box/RC - Dungeon #34

Post by Gravesguardian » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:14 am

I took away the "Isle" part and retconned it into the Bone Hills in the southwestern area of Thunder Rift.

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Post by DirtSkull » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:27 am

So far it's a great read. I can already see my party in a land war with the Skeletons of The Skull Dunes.

Irondrake
Ogre

Post by Irondrake » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:44 am

I've not used it yet, but when I did read it I gave some thought to putting it off the coast of Thyatis.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:48 am

My notes have it placed in Minrothad, but I don't know where that came from..

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Post by DirtSkull » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:21 am

This is such a well written scenario. The Skull Dunes encounter is fresh and exciting, the endgame would add an awesome depth to any campaign that swings past an Island. The "Evil Clerics" of the Abby have been selling(as a fence) the Pirate's booty for years in their temples on the mainland until the Pirates object to the agreement and attack. The Merchant Guild hires you, assuming the pirates were successful, to claim the isle. The Clerics(survivors) need to notify the mainland...you have to decide. Take the Merchants gold and make an enemy of cultists, here and throughout the mainland,...or allow

DirtSkull
Gnoll

Post by DirtSkull » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:49 am

After deciding to place the Isle of the Abby near Fort Doom, I searched the Pandius archives for a good map of the region and found the Abby already on the map and about right where I would place it, win win

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:03 pm

Guess what's going to be featured in "Ghosts of Saltmarsh," (the book formerly known as "Boats and Shite")?
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.ph ... -Saltmarsh
ENWorld, via Amazon wrote:Ghosts of Saltmarsh brings classic adventures into fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons. This adventure book combines some of the most popular classic adventures from the first edition of Dungeons & Dragons including the classic “U” series, plus some of the best nautical adventures from the history of Dungeon Magazine: Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater, Salvage Operation, Isle of the Abbey, The Final Enemy, Tammeraut’s Fate, The Styes.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:08 am

RobJN wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:03 pm
Guess what's going to be featured in "Ghosts of Saltmarsh," (the book formerly known as "Boats and Shite")?
There is a discussion about this in the Ghosts of Saltmarsh is the next D&D Book topic in the 5e forum.

Maybe we need subtopics for all the old Dragon adventures they are including in Ghosts of Saltmarsh.
Last edited by Big Mac on Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:11 pm

RobJN wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:03 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:08 am
There is a discussion about this in the Ghosts of Saltmarsh is the next D&D Book topic in the 5e forum.
This is really cool. I wonder if we will get a Mystara reference or two like we got in Tomb of Annhiliation?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:02 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:11 pm
Big Mac wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:08 am
This is really cool. I wonder if we will get a Mystara reference or two like we got in Tomb of Annhiliation?
Has anyone been creating guides for converting content to Mystara to go up on Vaults of Pandius? (If not then maybe Threshold Magazine could have a "Mystarafy This!" column. :idea: )

Perhaps the other adventures in Ghosts of Saltmarsh could be retconned into the area around Abbey Isle in the Gulf of Halag map that DIrtSkull found on Vaults of Pandius.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:22 pm

Can you guys tell me something more about this adventure? Is it worth dragging out my old crate of Dungeon mags for? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:53 pm

Havard wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:22 pm
Can you guys tell me something more about this adventure? Is it worth dragging out my old crate of Dungeon mags for? :)

-Havard
It's generally one of the better adventures in Dungeon. I'd say it's at least worth a read. I always liked it.
Here's a pretty good review >> https://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/?p=2460
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Kilr Kowalski
Gnoll

Post by Kilr Kowalski » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:27 am

I’m pretty sure this will be part of Ghosts of saltmarsh the new 5E supplement in May http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.ph ... -Saltmarsh

Oh sorry RobJN, missed your post there

religon
Bugbear

Post by religon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:23 pm

@Dirtskull,

The map you found on Pandius is mine. I placed it in a likely spot and merged it into some fanon that I expanded on.

The campaign notes explaining portions of the map are here...

viewtopic.php?t=17322&p=191725#p191725%23

Shannon
Orc

Post by Shannon » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:38 am

I like to place these adventures without defined locations or connections to established locations integral to them in the undeveloped areas of Mystara. I reckon doing so provides a means to help develop those lands which never got treatment in canon. Hence, the Keep at Korelgesh is on Brun's or Davania's western coast. The Isle of the Abbey is off Skothar's shores, the realm of the draconic prince who enters the annual tournament to become king of Ierendi lies in the Hollow World, as is the ancient realm of the lizard-men in the adventure provided with Role Master's book about lizardmen. The knaves who nab the Wavestone sail for Gombar. The corrupted treant seeking immortality dwells in Minaea. The Hanging Hideout is in Jomphur; the Bane of Elfswood in Davania. And so on.

I also think this approach provides incentive to have players truly explore the world, rather than only a region. Heaven knows there are more than enough scenarios in southeastern Brun, the Savage Coast, Alphatia, Iciria, and other such places to keep the players knocking about in them endlessly: why not send them off across the Atlass Ocean or to southern Davania?

Return to “Mystara”