Aerial Servants: Plane of Air or Ethereal Plane?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Shannon
Orc

Aerial Servants: Plane of Air or Ethereal Plane?

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:59 am

The description of aerial servants (or haoou) indicates these beings hail from the Elemental Plane of Air:
Aerial servants are beings native to the Elemental Plane of Air. They are only encountered on the Prime Plane when conjured by a cleric. On their home plane, they are known by a name which sounds like "haoou." [O]n their home Plane, the haoou have their own evil empire, which reigns in places where there are few or no other creatures. Their enemies are the helions and the djinn. They fear earth-type creatures and attacks.
This information makes good sense for a being so obviously associated with air as to be called an aerial servant. However, the description of these same beings which accompanies the clerical spell Aerial Servant indicates they hail from the Ethereal Plane:
An aerial servant is a very intelligent humanoid being from the Ethereal Plane. With this spell, the cleric summons one of these beings, which appears immediately.... It can become ethereal at will, and thus can travel to most places easily. However, it cannot pass a protection from evil spell effect. If it cannot perform its duty within the duration of the spell, the servant becomes insane and returns to attack the caster.
Note that this spell is explicitly stated to have no effect on the Plane of Air, but functions normally elsewhere.

How to reconcile these inconsistencies which all occur within the Companion Rules? I think the intent was for the haoou to be from the Elemental Plane of Air, but I like the idea of it's being able to become ethereal and have some connection to the Ethereal Plane. Perhaps something about the spell always causes the summoned servant to travel from the Plane of Air via the Ethereal Plane, hence the connection and associated powers. This can be so whether the servant is summoned to the Prime Plane, another elemental plane, the Astral Plane, or an Outer Plane. If it is summoned to the Ethereal Plane itself, well, the whole business becomes irrelevant anyway.

Anyone else have thoughts about the topic? Has anyone decided the haoou actually do originate in the Ethereal Plane instead of the Plane of Air?

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Re: Aerial Servants: Plane of Air or Ethereal Plane?

Post by Sturm » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:37 am

Interesting, maybe the haoou evil empire banish some of their own people to the ethereal plane, where they are forced to become servants to spellcasters in the multiverse.. or maybe the empire is using them to gather information about all the multiverse spellcaster it will eventually use to conquer everything :) so many possibilities :)
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:45 am

Sturm wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:37 am
Interesting, maybe the haoou evil empire banish some of their own people to the ethereal plane, where they are forced to become servants to spellcasters in the multiverse.. or maybe the empire is using them to gather information about all the multiverse spellcaster it will eventually use to conquer everything :) so many possibilities :)

I LOVE these interpretations! :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:54 am

Indeed I always wondered what Aerial Servants exactly were and the thing Shannon found could give them a whole new depth. As they are called by a clerical spell, the plan of the evil empire could be linked to the Immortals, maybe the haoou are planning to o something against the Immortals or some of them already did it, and the Immortals punished some of them by forcing to serve clerics..
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:45 pm

Interesting Idea Sturm..
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Return to “Mystara”