AC 1020: Man vs. Orc

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

AC 1020: Man vs. Orc

Post by Havard » Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

We know the following from the official timeline:
1020 AC: Joint Darokinian and Thyatian operations to protect their interests. All-out war pits humans vs. orcs.
Has anyone given this conflict any more thought? Personally, I think this should be a major occurance, spanning not only one year, but several. It should have long lasting consequences comparable if not as extreme as WotI.

The wording makes it seem as if Darokin and Thyatis initiate the conflict, but could it not be as interesting to have this be a desperate effort to try to prevent the destrution of the Known World?

What does the Known World look like at the onset of this conflict? In what shape is Darokin? What of Aengmoor?

This also raises the question of the nature of the Brokenlands. Is the realm forever doomed to be a haven of humanoids or can those lands be purged of evil for good and restored to a more hospitable land? Ive began to see the Brokenlands as Mystara's Hellmouth, an area which will always draw to it all kinds of evil. I dont even see the Wars of 1020 as being an end to the Brokenlands, though if the humans win they could have rid the Known World of its most potent source of evil for a decade.

I am also thinking about how to use this as a source for adventures without setting up a War Campaign. Any ideas for how a Post-War game following the Orc Wars could be run?

Other things?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: AC 1020: Man vs. Orc

Post by agathokles » Wed May 27, 2009 10:19 pm

Joint Darokin-Thyatis operations mean either a major political change in the KW, or a major danger to the interest of both countries. Moreover, it means the Orcs are threatening areas that are of interest (and near) to both countries.
IMO, this could mean the Orcs got a strong foothold in the Selenica area, perhaps blocking the trade routes to Karameikos and Ylaruan (and thus indirectly to Thyatis).

GP
Last edited by agathokles on Fri May 29, 2009 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Thu May 28, 2009 12:26 pm

This is obviously of particular interest to the next almanac.
IIRC a few years ago Andrew had some ideas about this, probably linked to the humanoid migration, and more.
There was also an idea of having exacerbated humanoid troubles due to interference or manipulation by an old, dark evil from a past age.
Synn's actions, Atzanteotl's plots, displaced forces (like Thar's), the strengthening of the Orclands, and more, are all threats that could come to a high at the same time.
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu May 28, 2009 6:55 pm

agathokles wrote:Joint Darokin-Thyatis operations mean either a major political change in the KW, or a major danger to the interest of both countries.
Agreed. Since I am also looking for adventure possibilities, I'm thinking it cant just be a matter of humans wiping out orcs without any complications.
Moreover, it means the Orcs are threatings areas that are of interest (and near) to both countries.
IMO, this could mean the Orcs got a strong foothold in the Selenica area, perhaps blocking the trade routes to Karameikos and Ylaruan (and thus indirectly to Thyatis).
That makes sense. I have something bigger in mind (see next post), but a threat to the Selenica region could indeed be the trigger of a full scale conflict!

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu May 28, 2009 7:13 pm

Andaire wrote:This is obviously of particular interest to the next almanac.
IIRC a few years ago Andrew had some ideas about this, probably linked to the humanoid migration, and more.
There was also an idea of having exacerbated humanoid troubles due to interference or manipulation by an old, dark evil from a past age.
Synn's actions, Atzanteotl's plots, displaced forces (like Thar's), the strengthening of the Orclands, and more, are all threats that could come to a high at the same time.
Excellent, excellent!

Dark old evil from a past age fits very well with what I have in mind. What is Synn's position at the outset of AC1020? If the Brokenlands are involved, Glantri would likely have a role for good or ill. This would also be a good time for Thar to return to the Brokenlands.

Where is Aengmor in all of this? This would be a good time for Atzanteotl's factions among the Shadowelves to gain control over those dying woods. If the side of good is successful, the Orc Wars (as I have come to call them) could bring about the restoration of Alfheim.

Scope
* I see the Orc Wars as a five year conflict spanning between 1020-2024. I envision the Orc Wars as being something equivalent of the Trojan War, as in that it was a war where all the heroes fought; a conflict to be passed down in legends. Unlike the Wrath of the Immortals War, the Orc Wars have a more clear good vs evil or at least Chaos vs. Law aspect, making it easier to choose sides.

* Using ideas from Steven Wilson's Red Hand of Doom and Mystaran Civil War, Karameikos will be busy with internal problems caused by the death of King Stefan.

* Thyatis and Darokin will be the main countries on the side of Law. What are the others up to? We have already adressed Glantri and Karameikos.

* Could this be the Golden Khan's chance to side with Chaos? Or, if Glantri sides with Chaos, perhaps he will join Thyatis?

* While Thyatis might initially wade through Ylaruam to stop the Orc forces, I see this as a good time for Barimoor to seize control of the Alasiyan Desert.

* I am wondering if a similarly dramatic conflict could also take place on the Savage Coast. Perhaps with Hule deciding to invade the Savage Baronies this time?

* The Northern Reaches might stay out of the war, but it depends on where their neighbours end up. Too good a chance for looting to miss out on?

* I would like to see the Dwarves of Rockhome get involved this time. Perhaps a Tolkien style Dwarf Elf alliance? Doesn't get more epic than that!

* While the Shadowelves of Aengmoor will be on the side of the Orcs, it would be interesting to see those loyal to Rafiel side with the surface races. For the Shadowelves, this will be a painful conflict then, with Shadowelf fighting against Shadowelf.

* And what about the Island Kingdoms? If we want a full scale war, it could be interesting to see Chaotic Pirates/Fire Mages take over Ierendi and have Ierendi vs. Minrothad naval action!

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Thu May 28, 2009 10:57 pm

my basic question is to this is.... where is such a 'quantity' of humanoids supposed to come from that could threaten a million armed Darokineans or the 3 million Thyatins. Figure a fighting force of 50,000 humanoids is needed to make this adventure.. the scope of it feasible in my mind.

On second thought... might jack that up to 150,000 fighting humanoids. 50,000 would put them on equal footing with the armies against them (Thyatin, Dwarf, Halfling, Elf, Darokinean... at a mininum), not even counting reserve forces. Unless some campaign 'bad guy' directly intervenes... the only way the humanoids make a 4 year event... as envisioned here.. worthy of the WotI is through overwhelming force. That takes a a lot of humanoids.. are there that many around in that area of eastern Darokin?
Havard wrote:
Andaire wrote:This is obviously of particular interest to the next almanac.
Excellent, excellent!

Dark old evil from a past age fits very well with what I have in mind. What is Synn's position at the outset of AC1020? If the Brokenlands are involved, Glantri would likely have a role for good or ill. This would also be a good time for Thar to return to the Brokenlands.

as per my above post.. Glantri could go a long way to being a evening factor out to make the humanoids a credible threat against Thyatis and Darokin combined. That would have to involve a plot line where Synn has defeating the 'reluctant Prince' and all his allies. Don't see that happening. Again.. she is only a greater Night Dragon. Things are progressing via the 1019 almanac to a showdown..between good and evil in Glantri. Synn loses that 99 times out of a 100 against that group

Where is Aengmor in all of this? This would be a good time for Atzanteotl's factions among the Shadowelves to gain control over those dying woods. If the side of good is successful, the Orc Wars (as I have come to call them) could bring about the restoration of Alfheim.

I like that idea.. bringing back an elven nation to the known world.

Scope
* I see the Orc Wars as a five year conflict spanning between 1020-2024. I envision the Orc Wars as being something equivalent of the Trojan War, as in that it was a war where all the heroes fought; a conflict to be passed down in legends. Unlike the Wrath of the Immortals War, the Orc Wars have a more clear good vs evil or at least Chaos vs. Law aspect, making it easier to choose sides.

sounds like something Thanatos and his buddies would love hahha

* Using ideas from Steven Wilson's Red Hand of Doom and Mystaran Civil War, Karameikos will be busy with internal problems caused by the death of King Stefan.

sounds good to me.. one nation knocked out of the coalition.. but out of the war?... would the Orcs resist such an inviting target for sacking and pillaging. Nothing like a target in chaos with internal problems and those humanoids ..all of them.. will need to eat haha. I never liked Karomeikos as a compaign location anyway hahah.. nice opportunity to wipe that nation off the map.. and after the inevitable victory by Thyatis and Darokin. Karameikos rejoins the empire. Now that Stephen is dead.

* Thyatis and Darokin will be the main countries on the side of Law. What are the others up to? We have already adressed Glantri and Karameikos.

the Halflings would surely join in.. they would never want to live under humanoid rule ... and would fight against ANY chance it happening. Such a large threat would bring the Halflings out in force. Ylaruam would stay out of course... maybe going after a weakened foe.. but probably sitting it out. The Dwarfs? Severely weakened by numerous wars over the last few years.. but probably recovered enough to contribute some to the war. Probably volunteer units.

* Could this be the Golden Khan's chance to side with Chaos? Or, if Glantri sides with Chaos, perhaps he will join Thyatis?

sort of hard to see Ixion letting the Ethengar get involved... plus they really aren't much a threat/help anyway. (horsemen in forests or mountains) They lost their army only 5 short years ago and have been fighting each other since. Much like Heldan... they have had too much war.. they need to recover. I'd have them sit it out.

* While Thyatis might initially wade through Ylaruam to stop the Orc forces, I see this as a good time for Barimoor to seize control of the Alasiyan Desert.

ahhhh... Barimoor... a good 'bad guy', and could be involved in the side of chaos instead of just being a opportunist. Maybe I missed something though... thought he was dead after the week without magic.

* I am wondering if a similarly dramatic conflict could also take place on the Savage Coast. Perhaps with Hule deciding to invade the Savage Baronies this time?

yep... with Hule's rivals to the east busy... sounds like a good strategy.

* The Northern Reaches might stay out of the war, but it depends on where their neighbours end up. Too good a chance for looting to miss out on?

Ostland of course would help Thyatis if called upon.. Vestland probably would come to Darokin's aid.

* I would like to see the Dwarves of Rockhome get involved this time. Perhaps a Tolkien style Dwarf Elf alliance? Doesn't get more epic than that!

hah... how about a Dwarf, Elf, Humanoid alliance... Kol's Glantrian Humanoids.

Now it doesn't get more epic than THAT haha

* While the Shadowelves of Aengmoor will be on the side of the Orcs, it would be interesting to see those loyal to Rafiel side with the surface races. For the Shadowelves, this will be a painful conflict then, with Shadowelf fighting against Shadowelf.

can definitely see that.... but now Rafael's Shadowelves have soul crystals they can use. Might be painful.. but short in duration. They'd smoke Aengmoor if push came to shove

* And what about the Island Kingdoms? If we want a full scale war, it could be interesting to see Chaotic Pirates/Fire Mages take over Ierendi and have Ierendi vs. Minrothad naval action!

that is a group... the Honor Island Mages.. and location that begs to used more in the campaign world. Though I think they simply have no interest in anything other in protecting what they have... best way to lose it is to get greedy, if they win.. they still have nothing more than what they really want.. and if they lose.. they lose what they want. That portal on Honor Island.. trust me... I some Glantrian wizards that would love to explore it... they know of it.

Havard
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu May 28, 2009 11:04 pm

This is a really neat idea guys!
What role do you see the Oenkmarians playing in such a war? I've always envisioned them as being more "lawful" than your average humanoid, which could make them the driving force behind a new era of goblinoid conquest. First conquer the nearby humanoid tribes, unite them under one banner, and then march them off to conquer the humans and their allies.

Hmmm... with that in mind, could Oenkmar and Thyatis be the main nations on the side of Law (and plan to divide the KW between them)? With Alphatia gone, the empire may be able to turn its attentions back to Brun. This could pit many of the other nations against this "Imperial Alliance"... possibly making for very strange bedfellows indeed. Imagine the KW nations putting Thar back in power in the Broken Lands, just to counter the Oenkmarians...
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

JTrithen
Ogre

Post by JTrithen » Thu May 28, 2009 11:39 pm

Chimpman wrote:This is a really neat idea guys!
What role do you see the Oenkmarians playing in such a war? I've always envisioned them as being more "lawful" than your average humanoid, which could make them the driving force behind a new era of goblinoid conquest. First conquer the nearby humanoid tribes, unite them under one banner, and then march them off to conquer the humans and their allies.
The non-Atzanteotl-allied Shadowelves would probably be opposed to the actions taken by the Oenkmarians (the Oenkmarians would generally be the minority in OVERALL Shadowelf politics, anyway) -- the main masses would probably be opposed to allying with goblinoids. Would this help to possibly create a temporary if unsteady Alfheim-elven and Shadow elven alliance (if even for a short time)?
Chimpman wrote:Hmmm... with that in mind, could Oenkmar and Thyatis be the main nations on the side of Law (and plan to divide the KW between them)? With Alphatia gone, the empire may be able to turn its attentions back to Brun. This could pit many of the other nations against this "Imperial Alliance"... possibly making for very strange bedfellows indeed. Imagine the KW nations putting Thar back in power in the Broken Lands, just to counter the Oenkmarians...
This definitely begs some more analysis. I guess it would help (if this is not already listed somewhere else) to get some ideas of what the general nations' alignments are. The elves in general (such as of Alfheim) are neutral good; the Oenkmarians are lawful evil, right? The Shadow elves are lawful neutral; the Thyatians are Lawful neutral, right? I wouldn't see an "alliance," per se, between Thyatis and the Oenkmarians happening very easily. But understanding the different nations' (and at least most of the 'major player' nations of the Known World) general alignment tendencies would definitely be important to this overall scenario. (let's see -- Glantri = Chaotic Neutral, right? Rockhome = Neutral good? Darokin = Neutral good?)

Anyway, 'was just thinkin' about that....

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Fri May 29, 2009 12:06 am

hmmm... wheels are turning...

There is somehting that can be thrown into the mix.. something that defines Thyatis.. and Thyatins and has a whole section devoted to it in the DotE. Treachery. What if this whole war was a Thyatin invention. Thyatis, per the latest Almanacs, has become much more an economic power than just blunt military force. Darokin is an economic rival to Thyatis. Shame if Darokin was innundated with scores of humanoids and got knocked down a peg or two.. allowing Thyatis to move in and then finally take the premier merchantile position of power.

A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum.... while the Humanoids were sacking Selencia and making Darokin's life hell... a second party enters the conflict.. on the Humanoids side . A POWERFUL one and Thyatis (and the rest of SE Brun) are thrown into a war of survival the scope of which the continent has not seen in centuries.

hmm... I like that hahha
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Fri May 29, 2009 12:51 am

and who is this second party....

from Gaz 5

Goblin Park Magic Point... Alfheim is no more.. but the magic point remains...

'this is another invasion of sort. Nearly 300 years ago, a great host of nearly10,00 goblins (actually creatures from another world with a family resemblance to goblins) just appeared here.

yadda yadda yadda ... the elves kicked ass. (again... the numbers of humanoids we are talking about has to be vast to make to this the event envisioned)

Even so, there is a dark side to Goblin Park. The foe that drove the goblins to Alfheim learned of their destination and now seeks to break through. The magic of the forest works to keep it out, but if it should change or weaken

*cough*

how about another migration of 'goblins' followed by something that will take all the nations of the known world to fight.... it's all right in Gaz 5.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Fri May 29, 2009 1:02 am

I like the Goblin Park take. I know what you're talking about, but have to go back and refresh myself on the details of the attack. I think that idea would work pretty well.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Fri May 29, 2009 1:09 am

I like it as well... I do think mere humanoids can not wage the war against both Darokin and Thyatis envisioned.. not to mention all their allies. There simply aren't enough. There has to be more to it. Goblin Park is a perfect 'canon' backing for this war. Some creative soul can.. and would I'm sure whip up just what it IS that comes through that magic point. Probably something Orc related (family-wise..but with very special powers that make them such a huge threat) and would enlist or just intimidate the KW humanoids into fighting with them. Also what it is also is a culmination to the Canolbarth Forest story line carried on in the Almanacs... after the war. The immortals themselves work together to undo what has been done.. and make the Canolbarth as it was so the magic of the Forest will protect other magic points and something like this wouldn't happen again. The Forest Elves can have their homeland again... sharing it with their Shadowelf cousins.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Fri May 29, 2009 3:22 am

OT: Re: Barimoor- the only reference to him being dead after the WWOM is in Andrew Morrow's Immortal Candidates post from the MML, which was itself a follow-up to Shawn Stanley's Almost Immortals article. Nothing in canon has ever referenced Barimoor post-WotI. In fact, I think the last canonical reference to him was in Gaz5.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat May 30, 2009 12:53 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:OT: Re: Barimoor- the only reference to him being dead after the WWOM is in Andrew Morrow's Immortal Candidates post from the MML, which was itself a follow-up to Shawn Stanley's Almost Immortals article. Nothing in canon has ever referenced Barimoor post-WotI. In fact, I think the last canonical reference to him was in Gaz5.
last direct reference I suppose... makes sense it would have been if he died per the WotI and the week without Magic thus has not referenced in anything post-WOTI. His death was one of many you would suspect.

'members of magical races, grow ill and lose their strength. People whose lives had been magically extended, age and die.'

As far as Shawn's 'almost Immortals'.. I agree..he was close but no cigar. Don't suspect any of his apprentices had any desire to see him wished back to life haha if he died of old age and he didn't seem like the warm and fuzzy type and probably would have been killed by all those horrors running around now uncontrolled during that week anyway. It's not like he.. or anyone had any warning of it's coming. I think Shawn's article could be taken as 'canon' ... it is logical and reasonable.. and it matches and is a logical extension of canon material.

Planefarer
Stone Giant

Post by Planefarer » Sat May 30, 2009 4:24 pm

micky wrote:I like it as well... I do think mere humanoids can not wage the war against both Darokin and Thyatis envisioned.. not to mention all their allies. There simply aren't enough. There has to be more to it. Goblin Park is a perfect 'canon' backing for this war. Some creative soul can.. and would I'm sure whip up just what it IS that comes through that magic point. Probably something Orc related (family-wise..but with very special powers that make them such a huge threat) and would enlist or just intimidate the KW humanoids into fighting with them. Also what it is also is a culmination to the Canolbarth Forest story line carried on in the Almanacs... after the war. The immortals themselves work together to undo what has been done.. and make the Canolbarth as it was so the magic of the Forest will protect other magic points and something like this wouldn't happen again. The Forest Elves can have their homeland again... sharing it with their Shadowelf cousins.
In the net almanacs, that already happened in 1019 with an unending lovefest between the Alfheim elves and the Shadowelves, where they not only reactivated all the good magic points and restored the forest to grow again, but also managed to keep the bad magic points closed, even though the Alfheimers had never been able to do that while they controlled Canolbarth. Oh, and Tinkerbell was saved to with the Fairies also returning to Canolbarth...

Not to slam the almanacs, but the last one really had a bunch of plots that I really hated. This was one of the worst, but it was scarcely the only one. I always thought that if the Alfheim elves needed a new homeland, then someone should take some inspiration from CM7: The Tree of Life and have the elves reclaim the Sylvan Realm.

The solution to have the Shadowelves and Alfheim elves conveniently forget all their differences and the Alfheim elves casually ignore that the Shadowelves corrupted their homeland and then kicked them out of it... Well, let's just say that as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't exactly help the credibility along. Especially not when you look at places like Graakhalia, where one of the noted problems of the gnoll/elven society is that the gnolls don't care so much about the internal hostilities a few centuries back, because they have relatively short lifespans and so it all happened before they were born, while the elves all remember it, because most of them lived back then. Elves have long memories. To think the Alfheim elves and Shadowelves could truly embrace each other less than to decades after the latter corrupted Canolbarth and kicked the other elves out... Well, doesn't sound very compelling to me.
"When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life."

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat May 30, 2009 7:05 pm

thanks for the correction Planefarer! I started working on a possible timeline for something like this this morning..and asked for corrections if I missed something from the almanacs. I'll reread those events and adjust this story I'm working on accordingly...

I'll touch on the rest of your post after I finish posting this ...

anyway... here is what I have so far.

It stinks to be on-call on a beautiful spring day here in DC. Since I'm tied to the computer... I'll toss this out. If anyone sees any logical holes in it, or discrepancies with previous Almanacs let me know. Might use this in my campaign when finished.. or if the brains behind the Almanacs see any use of it. Feel free to use what you want. I'll start to sketch this out, bare bones. If people like it, I'll detail it out day by day over time.

Act 1. Playing with Fire...

Winter 1020 - Thanks for chosing Orclands, how we may serve you?

A mysterious visitor meets with Gen. Tlatepetl. After a day spent in private meetings. Tlatepal calls a meeting of his senior lieutenants. After which envoys are sent from Xorg to points south. Several weeks later major chieftans of goblin and orc tribes of the Altan Tepes and Black Mountain ranges arrive in Xorg. The mysterious visitor arrives again on a prearranged day, cloaked but speaking the Orc and Goblin and puts forth a proposal. After a couple of days to deliberate they meet the visitor again and accept his proposal and return home.

What this means: A plot by Thyatis to weaken it's primary economic rival, Darokin by uniting the humanoids under the leadership of Tlatepetl and striking Darokin. Offering sensitive information on Darokinean troop deployments and maps of the region made by Thyatin merchants and spies, the visitor suggests the time is right for the humanoids to move out of the mountains and create a true humanoid nation. The visitor hints of military aid, and recognition of the nation if they succeed in the goals laid out to them. The chiefs of the mountain humanoids are promised high positions in the new humanoid nation if they join, and after some deliberation they accept and head home to rally their forces, and those lesser tribes in their areas.

Spring 1020 Would you like your villagers rare, or well done?

The citizens of Reedle wake up one fine spring morning to find a army of several thousand humanoids outside the village walls. Dispatchers are hurriedly sent to the north to Selenica before the village is completely surrounded to warn the Second Army and request help. The route south to Karameikos is blocked and any sent south to warn and request aid from the Duke's Keep are captured. Traps and ambushes are set for caravans and groups moving up from the south. Orders are given by a Lieutenant of Tlatepetl who is accompanied by a cloaked stranger speaking the humanoids tongue. After the messengers have left to the north the village is fully invested. Later in the day a probing attack begins on the village from all directions, they are easily repulsed until disaster hits and suddenly a 20' ft section of the village's wall literally disintegrates and the humanoids pour in through the gap. The village is soon captured and ransacked. The humanoid commander, an Orc named Stinkfoot orders a day of 'celebration' then the force is to be on the move. Skirmishers are sent north on the road to Selenica.

What this means: The mountain humanoids were able to rally their forces and under direction of an Lieutenant of Tlatepetl and sack the village of Reedle, with the timely assistance of a disguised Thyatin mage... but this was only the first move of the game.

Spring 1020 No Shirt, No shoes, Horns and Tusks?... No Dice

Messengers arrive from Reddle telling of the massing of humanoid forces and the dire straights of the village. Orders are sent out for three legions of the 2nd Army to depart immediately for Reedle from Ft. Hobart, the VII, IX, and X legions. The VIII, and XXV to remain behind at Ft Hobart. Word is sent immediately to Darokin City through instantaneous means requesting several legions from the 1st army to help suppress this humanoid threat. One is sent from Ft. Cruth and from Darokin City, two of the 1st armies three legions stationed at Ft. Nell are recalled to Darokin City.

Spring 1020 Saturated Fats or Trans Fatty Acids

as the 3 legions of the 2nd Army reach Selenica they receive orders to halt on their way to Reedle and the legion commanders are called to immediately meet with the Novash of the 2nd army. Scouts operating the north of Ft. Hobart have reported a massive force of humanoids, moving quickly toward Ft. Hobart. Reports and scouts also tell of forces moving up the road from Reedle to the south. Heavy skirmishers mask the size of the southern force but going on estimates from those that made it out of Reedle that force is at least several thousand strong. New orders are issued by the Novash. All outlying villages and homesteads should retire behind Selenica's wall, caravans are to turn back and stay away from eastern Darokin. The 2nd Army is to hold Selenica until reinforcements from the rest of Darokin arrive. The force presently at Ft. Hobart will fight a delaying action then withdraw to Selenica. Preparations are made for a siege. More messeges are sent to Darokin City explaining the threat the area is under.

Spring 1020 Always flame-boiled ..never fried

The twin pincers of the Humanoid attack make their moves and the full scope of the Humanoid threat is revealed. First to the north, the Humanoid army arrives before Ft. Hobart and the full extent of the Humanoid mobilization is revealed with the light of a new day. From the top of Ft. Hobart 10 separate divisions, estimated to be around 2,000 warriors each are counted. Messengers are sent immediately back to Selenica. General Tlatepetl wastes no time and sends forward his troops, led by the trolls of C'Kag. The two legions put up a spirited defense inflicting casaulties on the attackers but are forced to give up the Palisades and being a withdraw to the south. General Tlatepetl orders his troops to follow them closely and soon the withdraw turns into a rout as the mobile air-force of skinwing mounted Orcs is deployed. Fewer than half of the men of the two legions left to defend Ft. Hobart will make it back to Selenica.

To the south, Stinkfoot has left a garrison of roughly 500 orcs and goblins to watch the pass from Karameikos and to raid the surrounding area for supplies and deployed his thousands of troops to the south and east of Selenica. To raid until Tlatepetl arrives from the north.

Once Tlatepetl arrives his sends a force of 3 divisions to the west down the Darokin road and invests the city of Selenica with a now combined force of roughly 15,000 humanoids.

Spring 1020 I didn't order this...I want my money back!!!

In an emergency meeting of the Western Defense League. Darokin explains the mass humanoid attack and requests aid. The Halflings immediately agree, the Dwarves (don't recall if they are back in the WDL at this point) say their forces are spread too thin but will send any volunteer units that might be raised. Karameikos is too wrapped up in it's civil war and cannot participate. Separate talks with the ambassadors of Forest and Shadow Elves. The represenative of each says that they must speak of this to their respective leaders and they will decide on a course of action together.

Once word of the extent of humanoid numbers is revealed. The entire 3rd Army is ordered to march toward Selenica, along with the previously sent element of the 1st army. Units from the 5th army are redeployed to the north to cover for the 3rd Army. The Halfling army will meet the Darokinean army at Fort Cruth before proceeding to lift the siege of Selenica.

Spring 1020 One crispy Whooper for you.. hold the fries

A week has passed since the fall of Ft. Hobart. The humanoids have been living and eating better than any orc has in generations off of the wealth of Darokin. Probing assaults are sent against Selenica daily. To the west the 3 Humanoid division make first contact with the relief forces of Darokin. The III and XXI legions of the 1st Army have been advancing slowly down the road between Darokin City and Selenica. The two forces meet east of Nemiston and the severely outnumbered legions fight well but are unable to counter the mobile flanking assaults of the disciplined and well-trained humanoids. They attempt to make a stand at Nemiston but again are outflanked and had to retire leaving the town, though most residents had evacuated to the west. The humanoids halt in Nemiston and begin to prepare defenses for the inevitable Darokinean response.

end of Act !.
Last edited by micky on Sat May 30, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat May 30, 2009 7:34 pm

Planefarer wrote:
micky wrote:I like it as well... I do think mere humanoids can not wage the war against both Darokin and Thyatis envisioned.. not to mention all their allies. There simply aren't enough. There has to be more to it. Goblin Park is a perfect 'canon' backing for this war. Some creative soul can.. and would I'm sure whip up just what it IS that comes through that magic point. Probably something Orc related (family-wise..but with very special powers that make them such a huge threat) and would enlist or just intimidate the KW humanoids into fighting with them. Also what it is also is a culmination to the Canolbarth Forest story line carried on in the Almanacs... after the war. The immortals themselves work together to undo what has been done.. and make the Canolbarth as it was so the magic of the Forest will protect other magic points and something like this wouldn't happen again. The Forest Elves can have their homeland again... sharing it with their Shadowelf cousins.

In the net almanacs, that already happened in 1019 with an unending lovefest between the Alfheim elves and the Shadowelves, where they not only reactivated all the good magic points and restored the forest to grow again, but also managed to keep the bad magic points closed, even though the Alfheimers had never been able to do that while they controlled Canolbarth. Oh, and Tinkerbell was saved to with the Fairies also returning to Canolbarth...

damn.. now that you mention it.. I remember reading that. I'll adjust my thinking and timeline to account for that.

Not to slam the almanacs, but the last one really had a bunch of plots that I really hated. This was one of the worst, but it was scarcely the only one. I always thought that if the Alfheim elves needed a new homeland, then someone should take some inspiration from CM7: The Tree of Life and have the elves reclaim the Sylvan Realm.

I would have liked to seen the Sylvian Realm reclaimed but there is the matter of the Trees of Life that are there. Correct me anyone if I am wrong, they are still there. The elves would have a STRONG reason for wanting to go back to Alfheim.

The solution to have the Shadowelves and Alfheim elves conveniently forget all their differences and the Alfheim elves casually ignore that the Shadowelves corrupted their homeland and then kicked them out of it... Well, let's just say that as far as I'm concerned, it doesn't exactly help the credibility along. Especially not when you look at places like Graakhalia, where one of the noted problems of the gnoll/elven society is that the gnolls don't care so much about the internal hostilities a few centuries back, because they have relatively short lifespans and so it all happened before they were born, while the elves all remember it, because most of them lived back then. Elves have long memories. To think the Alfheim elves and Shadowelves could truly embrace each other less than to decades after the latter corrupted Canolbarth and kicked the other elves out... Well, doesn't sound very compelling to me.

that is why I like my idea of having a compelling reason to work together, to forget those LONG ingrained animosities.... nothing better than mutual survival... see act II of my story hahah. As I've posted, I have had my problems with logical leaps of faith and I simply adjusted my campaign according to what I felt was more logical. The best example was the Ethengar invasion of Glantri.. how a numerically inferior invader ..magicallly inferior invader...attacking on terrain of the defenders advantage can nearly win. I just never saw that. Even with/without the undead of Morphail. Needless to say.. that was a crushing defeat for the Khan at the foothills of the Colossus and the graveyards of Boldavia.. make it a surprise attack .. don't give them months to prepare for what they have spent 100's of years training for hahah

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat May 30, 2009 7:58 pm

yeah... I read through those 1019 events. Could just picture a mixed group of Forest and Shadow Elves gathered in a tree singing...

All we are saying... is give peace a chance.

Odd indeed.. but with a common enemy of Atzanteotl to unite them... plausible I guess. Don't care for it.. one pansy elve race is enough... the dark chaotic nature (though not evil) of the Shadow Elves was a nice contrast to the lotus eating Forest Elves.

hmmm... maybe their disillusionment will be on par with what the 70's were for us.. :lol:

anyway... going ahead with my plotline... a minor edit/adjustment for the reaction of the 'elves' for assistance upon the Humanoid invasion. The crux of the story though is still viable. The magic point at Goblin Park... not everyone cares for peace and love..

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat May 30, 2009 8:51 pm

crap... lost act II in mid act... due to errant fingers hahha. Don't you hate that when that happens.

Oh well.. time to get up and remove this seat imprint from my rear-end anyway haha.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun May 31, 2009 2:13 am

Act II Were your eyes too big for your stomach.

Spring 1020 Revenge is a dish, best served raw haha

In one of the luxurious villas up Emperor's Hill a party is being held. Full of people, young people, old people. Merchants, military officers, government bureaucrats. Men and woman of all types. A richly dressed man stands off by himself and watches the debauchery with a grin on his face.

Life is good for the VERY rich and powerful in Thyatis. This is his party, his villa, and these people are his guests.

His mind drifts back in time. Back past that fateful meeting three months ago in the private dining room of the cities most exclusive Inn.. the Sword of the Emperor. All the way to his youth, where many would be surprised to know that he was not born into wealth and power but the son of a farmer whose talents lay with the sword, not negotiating prices on commodities. Long ago, almost 40 years ago, he was a swordsman for hire and caravan routes were where he learned his trade. A good life he led, till his outspoken manner led him to run afoul of a merchant whom he had seen using magic to charm another merchant. When he pressed the merchant on what he saw, things got heated and words were said and he learned the hard way that he had crossed the wrong person. He was accused of stealing from the wares of a caravan he was paid to protect by none other than a young Corwyn Mauntea. Heir to one of the richest families, if not THE richest family in all of Darokin. He was exiled with warning never to return to Darokin or he would never see the light of day again from the dungeon he would be thrown into. Well he changed his name, found his fortune in Thyatis and now was living the life of riches and luxury. His thoughts were interrupted by a stunning redhead in the uniform of an officer of Kerendan Calvary smiling at him. Yes life is good..

but revenge is even sweater...

what this means? - it is good to be rich enough to be so bad haha

Spring 1020 You say Tomato...I say Tomatoe. I am woman...you are man. I am right..and you are wrong

After being briefed by their ambassadors to Darokin, the leaders of the two factions of elves meet to discuss what is to be done in regards to Darokin's request for military support in it's war with the humanoids. The meeting starts of pleasantly, reflecting the good working relationship King Doriath, and Princess Tanadaleyo have enjoyed over the last year. Things quickly break down though when Doriath makes clear he thinks that they should march to Darokin's aid. Tanadaleyo believes their fight is against Atzanteotl not fighting for fat merchants, no matter who they fight against. She rages on.. this becomes a problem of ours if they dare enter our borders. She tells Doriath that their troops should be at the ready.. but what kind of leaders would they be if the war came to them.. and their troops were off fighting in Darokin. Doriath.. sort of brow beaten by the infuriated Princess tells her that her words have wisdom and he will notify their ambassador to tell Darokin that the Elves have to look to their own defense first, but will help in any way they can. The Darokineans are disappointed but feel their forces plus the halflings should push the humanoids back to where they came from without too much trouble.

What this means? - the elves are staying out the conflict for now. Believing Darokin will throw the humanoids back where they came from.

Spring 1020 Would you like to supersize that combo sir?

The legions of the 3rd Army make it to Fort Cruth today, meeting the 1st Army and the Halfling expeditionary army. Combined they make a lethal force of nearly 20,000 experienced troops and after a day to rest and resupply they will soon be on the road to Selenica. Roughly a week's journey down the main road. Two skyships, The Happy Faenare and the Nephele have been taken from Glantrian trade missions to drop supplies off and proceed to Selenica to resupply the troops, deliver some mages to help with defense of the city and finally for the ships to do an aerial reconnaissance and to report back to the supreme commander of the expedition when the force reaches Nemiston. They leave for Selenica the day before the troops head off.

What this means? - Darokin has mobilized it's relief effort for Selenica and is on the way.

Spring 1020 Don't nuke that baby.. throw it in on the grill and light a fire under it.

Things have been getting rough in Selenica over the last week.. the probing attacks are getting stronger and stores of food are beginning to run short with some 40,000 people in the city plus another 5,000 troops. Many able bodied men have been impressed into service on the city walls and gates but the strain and fatigue is beginning to show. Word that relief forces are soon to arrive helps raise morale but nothing raises morale more than seeing two skyships come in from the west bearing supplies as promised. The guards on the walls raise their pikes and shout insults down to the humanoids in salute on the impending resupply. As the ships circle around to make a landing, terror comes swiftly and silently from above in the form of a massive Red Dragon and several smaller red dragons. The airships are caught by surprise and are knocking out of the air quickly when their hot air balloons are burst. Both ships fell several hundred feet and landed behind humanoid lines. Few of the crew survived the fall and those that were probably wished they had as they were taken by the humanoids. The cheers of the city turned to silence then screams as the dragons dart in and attack clearing a section of the wall and breathed great blasts of flame into the city and down each section of the wall before flying away in a hail of arrows. Several hundred of the 2nd Armies finest lost their lives in an instant flash of fire. The dragons circle the city a few times before perching on a hill to the east of the city.. where the defenders see orcs bringing the dragons chest filled with gold and gems taken from home and caravans captured...and prisoners taken as a snack for the overexerted and hungry dragons.

What this means - the humanoids have been getting rich off the spoils of Darokin.. and with those spoils they could afford a ringer or two. Khordarg and his retinue of bound female reds.

Spring 1020 Dessert is served..

Weary after two days of fighting fires in city thanks to hit and run raids by the dragons. Night comes on the second day after the airships went down and dragons appeared. The night air around the city sounds like the sound of hundreds of horns and Tlatepetl's forces begin a major night time assault on the city. The dragons swoop down and assault a section of the NW quarter of the city. One of the smaller red's is killed but a 30' section of the wall is cleared in advance of the humanoids assault and they scale the walls and being moving steadily to clear the walls to either side of the Dragons. By morning 7,000 humanoids led by their elite Troll assault regiment have penetrated the city. Taking no quarter and asking for none the carnage is on a vast scale. With the morning light Tlatepetl begins a major assault on the west gate of the city and after several hours and with help from those already in the city it is broken and thousands more humanoids flow into the city. The city is now doomed but continues to fight for another day. Organized resistance has ended but knowing the fate that awaits them and that help is on the way the soldiers and civilians fight on.. often to the last man. Tlatepetl takes heavy casualties finally by the end of the day has taken the city. However the mass slaughter expected by the all does not happen. After the city is captured, some pillaging of wealth and food does occur of course but the disciplined humanoids do not slaughter the citizens of Selenica that lived through the fighting. They are told assemble in the cities main square at the next morning but no harm would come to them. The next morning before the assemled population of Selenica General Tlatepetl introduces himself and says that he is not in the business of slaughter and that the population is guarantied safe passage from the city. They will be escorted to Nemiston with his forces. He tells them to the time to leave is now. their possessions will taken in exchange for their lives. Within the hour a long procession of humans leaves the city heading to the east with an 'escort' of 500 mounted goblins. The city of Selenica is remamed Tlatepetl .. capital of the new Orc Kingdom of Huitzilihuitl. A garrison force is left to loot all wealth and organize supplies from the city and rest of the army marches rapidly to the west towards Nemiston along with their guests.

What this means? - General Tlatepetl has won a great victory for the humanoids. The first major human city to fall to humanoids in many years but that was the easy part and he knows it. Now he has to hold on to it. Casualties on both sides were horrid. On the Darokin side.. the 2nd army simply died in the fighting for Selenica, some 6000 men of the 2nd Army including it's commander died to defend the city. Selenica a city before the battle of nearly 40,000 suffered many civilian causualties in the firestroms that raged during the siege and from those caught in the final fighting and of course those that were helping the vastly outnumbered 2nd Army defend the city. Estimates among the Orc High Command estimate civilian dead around 30 to 40%. Orcish losses were severe as well. Of the roughly 20,000 humanoids Tlatepetl brough down from the Orclands he lost half of those. Of the moutains clans led by Stinkfoot, killed in action at the last stand of the remaints of the 2nd Army. Causalities were a bit less. Only 20% of the original force of 5000 was lost. Leaving Tlatepetl with a force of 6000 humanoids in Nemiston and 8000 in Selenica from his original force. Reinforcements are coming in daily though from the mountains of of the area as word of this great leader and his exploits gets out. Since the battle came another 2000 humanoids have come from the Rockhome mountains leaving Tlatepetl with a force of roughly 16000. Now for Tlatepetl comes the hard part...consolidating his gains. He has gained enough loot to last a lifetime but what he wants is a nation. Not to merely raid.. but rule. In that.. he has a bit of a surprise lined up for the approaching Darokin forces.

Spring 1020 I love the smell of a campfire... but this is taking it a bit too far

The Darokin armies advancing toward Selenica have to stop today a day or two short of the forward humanoid positions when their path is blocked by a massive forest fire that fed by an intense wind that is blowing it right into their path. Clerics, Wizards, and the few Elves serving with Darokin forces manage to stop and suppress the fire but the day is lost trying to fight the fire and keep from being burned alive by the inferno.

What this means? - delaying tactics by the orcs to slow the advancing armies to allow

Spring 1020 oh you busy little beaver...

Tlatepetl's forces arrive in Nemiston are are reunited with the 3 divisions sent to probe to the west and set up defensive positions. They have not wasted any time over these weeks making strong defensive positions in an arc to the west of Nemiston leading to the hills to the south-east of Nemston which will be the anchor of the line. Tlatepetl deploys his troops and has a conference with all his division and corp commanders to explain his plans for the battle. Scouts believe the Darokin army will arrive possibly by nightfall... or the next morning at the lastest.

What this means? - General Tlatepetl wants his subordinate commanders to know exactly what his plans are and he makes sure his orders are to be followed to the letter. Their discipline has won them a battle, he tells them if they continue to follow their orders and maintain discipline they can win the war.

Spring 1020 - Surprise!!!
Location - Nemiston, Darokin

The combined forces of Darokin and the Shires arrive before Nemiston this morning having camped for the night just short of Nemiston having already heard of the fall of Selenica. They deploy their legions for a probing assault on Nemiston but before the order for an attack can be given. A white flag of truce is seen waving from the humanoid lines, and a single unarmed figure comes from the humanoid lines. The Darokin commander believes this must be a trick but is curious to see what the humanoids have to say so he allows the messenger to not be shot down by his archers and he sends a captain of his personal guard who speaks Orc to meet the messenger half way. The commander watches the two meet.. then is shocked to see both running back towards his lines. The Commander is more shocked when they get closer and he sees that the cloaked messenger is not a humanoid.. but a famished but otherwise unhurt man.. who says he is a tailor from Selenica...and thathe bears a message for the ears of the Commander only. They retire to the Commander's tent where the tailor gives him a handwritten note.

Greetings my brother in arms,

I am General Tlatepetl. Leader of the forces arrayed against you. I am an Orc, but I am a fighting man, a man of honor and not a butcher. Just beyond my lines that I suspect you are about to attack are approximately 24,000 civilian refugees of the fighting at Selenica. I have not the food nor the time to feed them. I propose a 4 week truce so that you may take these refugees and escort them back to civilized lands and give them food and medical care they need. If you shall refuse they will merely be additional casualties on this field of battle that we as soldiers have sworn to die upon if necessary for our countries. Do these innocents deserve to die as well. If you say so, then they will to help protect my forces. If you agree to this truce, I will agree not to move west of Nemiston and take advantage of your compassion. If you agree to these terms show us the white flag and we will be begin sending your citizens over to you.

honorably yours..

T.

The commander dropped the letter to the floor after reading it and muttered something to the effect of 'you have to be %$&*@ kidding me'. After a quick conference with his commanders the white flag was shown and over the course of the rest of the day civilian refugess, hungry and tired but otherwise unhurt moved from the humanoid lines into Darokinean lines. The next day the force withdrew to the west leaving behind a legion to keep an eye on the humanoids.

What this means? well.. what have you done in his case. As Tlatepetl's favorite strategist once wrote. The famous Ochalean theorist, Sun-tzu, that “every battle is won before it is even fought”. Tlatepetl gained his time for consolidation.. four weeks.. but he knows the Darokin forces will be back and with even more strength.

end of act II

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Sun May 31, 2009 7:42 pm

A few comments of your Act I (I haven't read act II yet):

It would be nice if the Thyatian figure wasn't simply a Thyatian, but rather a representative from some other dark group (Synn, ...) posing as a Thyatian merchant looking to gain a trading advantage hinting at a support from the Thyatian government.
But I bet you have things in mind already, so I'll just wait.

It is strange that so many humanoids could be sprung on Darokin so quickly, without warning. Darokin knows these humanoids are there, and they're probably spying on them with the DDC and other means. I think you have to add events prior that would explain how the Darokinian information network has been played.

The shadow elves are not part of the WDL. In fact, neither are the elves, although half are now living in Karameikos (but wouldn't be present at a WDL meeting, even though they could later be involved, either as part of Karameikos or as volunteers).
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun May 31, 2009 11:15 pm

thanks for the feedback :D
Andaire wrote:A few comments of your Act I (I haven't read act II yet):

you're probably not missing anything.. was the nice way to pass a day stuck at home in front of the computer hah

It would be nice if the Thyatian figure wasn't simply a Thyatian, but rather a representative from some other dark group (Synn, ...) posing as a Thyatian merchant looking to gain a trading advantage hinting at a support from the Thyatian government.
But I bet you have things in mind already, so I'll just wait.

in act II I did introduce the Thyatin... but he only a tool of a more benevolent mind haha (hinted at in the meeting I refereed to). Introducing a new one.. something fresh I guess. Like Synn... Synn is going down IMC in 1020. Personally I think that plot device is as old and worn out as my old Chuck Taylors. Her discovery and pursuit of the radiance finally leads to her true nature being discovered (no possible way that can be avoided if she to tamper or use it..) and her abrupt departure from Glantrian affairs. Again... if Carlotina could divine Kol there is no reason I suppose she couldn't do Synn.. and toss in the fact there is enough suspicion of her anyway... I think it is rather amazing she hasn't been 'outed' previous to 1020 anyway, it isn't like she doesn't have a lot of powerful enemies. Think Prince Harald becoming a active fighter against evil in Glantri means her days are numbered. I just wanted to introduce a new source of badness into the campaign world, keeps things fresh and interesting in my book.

It is strange that so many humanoids could be sprung on Darokin so quickly, without warning. Darokin knows these humanoids are there, and they're probably spying on them with the DDC and other means. I think you have to add events prior that would explain how the Darokinian information network has been played.

yep... as I said..what I wrote is a bare bones sketch and comments like yours help me can fill in the blanks haha. As far as the humanoids the only thing I fudged on were the numbers of 'mountain humanoids' and went conservative at 5000 from the Cruth and Black Mountains. Have no idea what kind of numbers they might have and they'd much be harder to mobilize anyway so went low as far as what was available there. Their main strategic function was to draw troops from Hobart and make the punch through quicker and less costly. The numbers of humanoids directly under Tlalatepetl came from the numbers of warriors available in GAZ 11. As far as being sprung quickly.. the did have months to plan and train for this. Granted the timeline is vague, but there were months involved between the meeting with Tlalatpetl and the troops being deployed.

As far as the DDC. Human spies do tend to stand out in humanoid territory and any that happened to be there in official capacity just got tossed into a doggie bag. The only forewarning the humans might have.. .all they have ever had I suppose. were the scouts operating to the north of Ft. Hobart. I don't think it is a big stretch for the humanoids to have been able to surprise them. Training and mobilization would happen underground.. where DDC personal would have never been allowed to go. He pretty much lopped them off as the troops moved, eliminating any warning... and again.. the first warning Darokin has would be the dust clouds descending on Ft. Hobart.

The shadow elves are not part of the WDL. In fact, neither are the elves, although half are now living in Karameikos (but wouldn't be present at a WDL meeting, even though they could later be involved, either as part of Karameikos or as volunteers).

I know... I made reference to there being a seperate meeting between Darokin and the Elves... outside of the WDL meeting. The Elves have a prominent part in Act III, they have no choice haha

AlexB
Hobgoblin

Post by AlexB » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:25 am

A few thoughts and suggestions.

Avoid the typical "unleash the humanoid horde" scenario. Instead, have the humanoids responding to human aggression. For example, the WDL moves against the Broken Lands in an attempt to dislodge the humanoids there. The reason is a series of raids, the ongoing threat, and maybe th discovery of gold or some other valuable commodity. The WDL also sees a military expedition as strengthening their role on Brun and maybe regaining lost members.

The expedition has some initial success but quickly falters as the kingdoms' forces get bogged down in the broken terrain. The resolve of the member forces begins to falter. The troops are recalled. Many member nations' forces resent being placed under Darokin control.

The Noids do not simply let the matter rest. Instead, the assault spurs them into action. They see the failed incursion as a sign that the WDL is weak. They target Darokin, seeing it as the most powerful of the member states and having the most wealth. Successfull campaigns there will break the back of the WDL and fund the continued war effort. Secretly, the Noid leadership sees the logistical value of attacking close to the relative safety of the BL.

The Noids receive Immortal guidance and form refined tactics and strategy. They train and build their forces around a disciplined core. They devise a strategy of attackign the Darokin logistical base to disrupt the nation's ability to fight.

I would introduce a skilled and charismatic noid officer that oversees the training. He becomes a focal figure as the fighting continues.

The Noids invade weeks before Darokin's farms go to harvest. Citizen soldiers are away from their units preparing for the harvest. The noids sweep in with great success. Better, their foragers begin harvesting the Darokin crops, adding them to the noid supplies and denying them to Darokin forces (and civilians).

Darokin finds themselves snubbed by the WDL. Most members have no interest in placing their forces under Darokin control. The other nations place their forces on alert
along their borders. Some offer token forces as well as supplies.

Thyatis offers aid. Eusiebius sees the lack of aid as a sign that the WDL is a paper tiger. Thyatis wishes to reassert its influence over the Brun nations, possibly adding a few as satellite nations. Even if Darokin falls, Eusebius feels that Thyatis can make its stand to defend its own borders.

The Noids renew their offensives. Their forces are reinforced from BL. In addition, recruits are flooding in from throughout Brun. These are being trained and organized in the BL. The war drags on for several years. The fortunes of war often change as the combatants are reinforced and nations enter and leave the fray. The Noids keep several reserve units ready to threaten Darokin's neighbors to draw their forces away. The Noids manage to negotiate truces with several nations throughout the fighting, though these are often shortlived agreements.

The WDL members finally contribute though they are led by committee and are often a chaotic mess. Rockhome stays out of the fighting, preferring to hole up in their mountains and let the noids wear themselves down on the human forces. A few "volunteer" forces make incursions into the BL for recon and raid missions.

And how does it all end?
/shrugs

But there are many possibilities there.
Alex Benson - Yeah It's Me
http://pandius.com/abenson.html *
*In Need Of Massive Rewrites

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:58 pm

Alex .. the basic problem I can see with using the BL as the crux for this is that (if we follow the almanacs.. if not.. then all bets are off for each person's own campaign) the Broken Lands of the Almanacs don't seem to be the home of 'threatening' warlike humanoids anymore. The western broken lands are Glantrian and are being 'civilized' into a legitimate humanoid society it seems much as Limn was in Alphatia. The eastern broken lands are pretty much under Shadow Elf control and depopulated of humanoids through wars and several migrations to the west and the east. As far as the known world.. that leaves the Orclands as the only legitimate threat to any KW country as far as I can see. Can't see any reason for the WDL to go after the Orclands.. Darokin pretty much walked away from exerting any claim to that land in the first place and hasn't been threatened from there.. to this point anyway.

AlexB
Hobgoblin

Post by AlexB » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:47 am

Micky...as odd as this sounds...I agree.

The BL could provide a key motivator for getting the noids on the warpath. Human aggression based on some financial gain seemed feasible, especially to get the Darokin forces involved. The assault there would draw the ire of the noids, both living in the BL and otherwise.

In general such a Darokin/Thyatis vs. the Noids scenario would require a few years worth of setup events to work. I'd also hate to see the usual "noids form a chaotic horde" scenario implemented. I'd like to see the noids act based on something more than stereotypical rape, plunder, etc.

Anyway, interesting discussions.
Alex Benson - Yeah It's Me
http://pandius.com/abenson.html *
*In Need Of Massive Rewrites

Return to “Mystara”