5E Ghosts of Saltmarsh - Mystara explicitly mentioned!

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Morfie
Metamorph

5E Ghosts of Saltmarsh - Mystara explicitly mentioned!

Post by Morfie » Wed May 08, 2019 7:49 am

Placing the Adventure
Mystara. Saltmarsh stands on the border between the Grand Duchy of Karameikos and the Five Shires, just inside the edge of the Blight Marsh. The smugglers who use the haunted house as their base might be hin pirates, or at the very least count some halflings among the crew, keen to avoid the authorities at Rollstone Keep up the coast.
We are not forgotten! :D

Thanks to NewbieDM for posting this! It was a pic but was too large for this board so I have retyped the text. Twitter link:https://twitter.com/newbiedm/status/1125972909040840704

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: 5E Ghosts of Saltmarsh - Mystara explicitly mentioned!

Post by RobJN » Wed May 08, 2019 9:27 am

It's also worth noting that the Dungeon adventure "Isle of the Abbey" was written for Classic/Basic D&D. I'd be interested to see what treatment they give it in the new book
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed May 08, 2019 1:23 pm

WOW! This is awesome! :)

I wonder who at WotC is doing the Mystara adaptations?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Wed May 08, 2019 9:18 pm

So very cool to see :!:

TheGlen
Hobgoblin

Post by TheGlen » Wed May 08, 2019 10:54 pm

Cut off a bit because it mentions an alternate location is near Port Tenobar in Darokin near Malpheggi

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Thu May 09, 2019 3:47 am

Wow... Not one but two mentions, it looks like one for each adventure.

But more of a point, these are in-the-know mentions: the locations they suggest are appropriate, and they even used the word "hin" as well as name-calling Baron von Hendriks and the Black Eagle Barony.

...could there yet be hope for Mystara 5th Edition? Who knows.

Edit: Question for those who know the adventures... Are these adventures a good fit for Mystara? Is the book worth getting? How much Greyhawk material is there anyway? It would be disappointing from a setting point of view if there was very little, and yet I guess it's better that way in terms of adaptation.

Well, I suppose if they open up DMs Guild to Greyhawk it will be worthwhile regardless.

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Post by NPCDave » Thu May 09, 2019 8:28 am

U1 is a perfect fit for Blight Swamp, I ran the adventure as is for a hin patrol many years ago. There is plenty of room in the swamp for U2 and a lizardman lair. U3 depends on how you want to handle the sahaughin but it can work.

I don't think the Styles is a good fit for Karameikos or the Shires...not even Fort Doom...but you can make it work.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun May 12, 2019 8:05 am

Very cool to see Mystara getting some 5E love. :cool:
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Wed May 22, 2019 4:25 am

Respect! :P
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:57 pm

I picked up this adventure yesterday. I found the sidebar mentioned in p 39. It is kind of cool that the sidebar mentions Eberron, FR, and Mystara which along with Greyhawk (as the default setting) makes Mystara one of 4 settings referenced.

I notice that Wolfgang Baur and Steve Winter is on the Design Team, so could be those are among those who made that suggestion. I do think this is important for keeping Mystara alive and perhaps making new 5E fans curious enough to come our way to learn more.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:39 pm

Havard wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:57 pm
I picked up this adventure yesterday. I found the sidebar mentioned in p 39. It is kind of cool that the sidebar mentions Eberron, FR, and Mystara which along with Greyhawk (as the default setting) makes Mystara one of 4 settings referenced.

I notice that Wolfgang Baur and Steve Winter is on the Design Team, so could be those are among those who made that suggestion. I do think this is important for keeping Mystara alive and perhaps making new 5E fans curious enough to come our way to learn more.

-Havard
Are Wolfgang and Steve known fans of Mystara?

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:27 am

Morfie wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:39 pm
Are Wolfgang and Steve known fans of Mystara?
Steve Winter is an old time TSR designer. I know he is a fan of Mystara and he ran the infamous Nithians vs. Milennians campaign in the Hollow World. However, I just asked him and he said that he was not the one who had inserted the Mystara bit in Ghosts of Saltmarsh (although he did work on the book). He said he is happy that it was included though.

I don't know if Wolfgang Baur likes Mystara, but I know he likes Blackmoor. He is mostly known for Kobold Press stuff these days, but he designed two Blackmoor adventures published in Dragon.

Could be someone else included the Mystara thingst though. I dont recognize all the names in the credits list. Was looking for Robert Schawlb, but he's not in this one. I think Jeremy Crawford might be a Mystara fan though?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:52 am

It helps that one of the Dungeon adventures they showcase was (nominally) written for Mystara.
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:23 pm

I have examined the book. Interesting, 5th edition but ok. interesting.
However, the suggestion of placing in Mystara enforces the DM or to alter the region of Mystara itself where it is placed, or to adjust the adventure of the map and that map itself significantly.
I found several suggestions, which might seem interesting, yet don't really seem to tie in the Mystara chronology, area, socio-cultural, political(ie nations) just to call some areas of friction this book causes if implemented on Mystara.
Don't get me wrong, I do like the suggestions proposed (even if I don't like the 5th edition system), yet there are too many contradictions on the mentioned areas to make it Mystara material.
He or she who had added these Mystara suggestions, must have had some Mystara knowledge, (and Mystara love) yet forgot the implications of the adventure and its locations on Mystara and Mystara on the adventures.

If you however don't go too deep into Mystara material the book and its adventures might be very interesting. If you do, as DM be prepared for a lot of alterations to the book/adventures/maps to fit it into Mystara.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:21 pm

Looks like there are more Mystara references in the book. The Isle of the Abbey chapter has a separate Mystara section (a few lines, but still) in addition to the one mentioned in the OP. The presence of Living Statues is clearly another legacy from Mystara/BECMI.

Has anyone spotted other Mystara references?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:15 am

Robin wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:23 pm
However, the suggestion of placing in Mystara enforces the DM or to alter the region of Mystara itself where it is placed, or to adjust the adventure of the map and that map itself significantly.
This is my reaction to most suggestions for placing adventures written for other worlds in Mystara. I imagine that it's a common reaction among fans who are more world-builders than gamers.

I think it's great that people are able to adjust things to make adventures like this fit. I wish I could do it too, but I don't have the confidence as a DM to adjust things on the fly. That's why when I DM'ed The Lost Mines of Phandelver in 5th Edition a few years ago we ended up doing it in the Forgotten Realms (which I have never been a fan of, unfortunately :( ), despite the fact that I'd far rather have placed it in Mystara.

stebehil
Troll

Post by stebehil » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:48 am

Thorf wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:15 am
That's why when I DM'ed The Lost Mines of Phandelver in 5th Edition a few years ago we ended up doing it in the Forgotten Realms (which I have never been a fan of, unfortunately :( ), despite the fact that I'd far rather have placed it in Mystara.
I do use the FR for the starter set as well, for the sake of convenience. It is not only the placement, but all the context that needs to be changed - the character backgrounds, the factions come to mind first and foremost. But even the geography would need a close look. Ready-made adventures should make a DMs job easier, not making him consider and change all the details. This has always bothered me with "universal" adventures, which are most of the time written with a specific setting in mind, showing it in the details.
Placing LMoP on Mystara would probably need a separate thread....

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:26 pm

stebehil wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:48 am
Good thing we've got one, then.....
Rob

stebehil
Troll

Post by stebehil » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:16 pm

RobJN wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:26 pm
stebehil wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:48 am
Good thing we've got one, then.....
Thanks for the pointer...

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:42 pm

Thorf wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:15 am
This is my reaction to most suggestions for placing adventures written for other worlds in Mystara. I imagine that it's a common reaction among fans who are more world-builders than gamers.

I think it's great that people are able to adjust things to make adventures like this fit. I wish I could do it too, but I don't have the confidence as a DM to adjust things on the fly. That's why when I DM'ed The Lost Mines of Phandelver in 5th Edition a few years ago we ended up doing it in the Forgotten Realms (which I have never been a fan of, unfortunately :( ), despite the fact that I'd far rather have placed it in Mystara.
That's me indeed I am more a world builder than anything else :mrgreen: Thanx ;)
Oh don't get me wrong, I might have a dissentiment against the game mechanics of the later editions of D&D, that also does mean I still like many things Mystara, even if other editions and mystara suggestions. That was the reason for me to infuse the Stone Prophet AD&D2 game into my map of Nithia, enabling to bring way more detail to the map (and even more if I am going to make it in 1-mile hexes later)
And as easily I would enjoy placing other adventures in Mystara locations...if it fits, and that is for me the heaviest problem in doing with Ghosts of Saltmarsh. Most suggested locations do barely or not fit at all with the canon material thus far. Too much changes to the adventure, adventure map, or the world of Mystara have to be made in my opnion to be really functional Mystara style.
I still hope later editions would make really fitting Mystara stuf, yet I feel that is a hope blowing like a cloth in the wind, slowly eroding away.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

Return to “Mystara”