Spheres of Power Symbols?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Spheres of Power Symbols?

Post by Havard » Tue May 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Has anyone made symbols for the Spheres of Power?

I know the Spheres of Power are meant to be mainly something Immortals deal with, but it is such a fundamental concept of Mystara's cosmology and really helps give the setting something unique.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Robin
White Dragon

Re: Spheres of Power Symbols?

Post by Robin » Tue May 14, 2019 7:05 pm

I only know and use the official alchemical pictures for these
And as much of D&D is based on symbols of Alchemy, or witchcraft I think it is reasonable to use these.

Of Alchemy

And of Witchraft
Water was/is also depicted by 2 or 3 wavy patterns above eachother
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue May 14, 2019 9:35 pm

LoZompatore
Stone Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Wed May 15, 2019 1:00 pm

I suggest to take a look also at "WotI - Codex of the Immortals" pages 132 (picture of the city of Pandius) and 127 (layout of the city of Pandius). From both sources it seems clear to me that the symbol of the Sphere of Time is the hourglass, as shown in the Dome of Time picture at page 132.

Other symbols are not so explicit but at page 132 the building styles of Matter and Entropy are shown, with Matter (right background) having a definitely Arabian style, while Entropy (left background) is more Gothic. The Dome of Energy (right of the Dome of Time) reminds me the Saint Basil's Cathedral of Moscow.
Notice also the brain and the eye symbols on the bottom left corner at page 127 in the Estates of the Sphere of Thought.

Maybe these pieces of info may be used to style some suitable symbol for the other four Spheres. ;)

Case ee
Orc

Post by Case ee » Wed May 15, 2019 4:18 pm

Where’s there a good place to start if I wanted to learn more about the spheres of power and how they fit in with Mystara Cosmology?

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed May 15, 2019 4:40 pm

Case ee wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 4:18 pm
Where’s there a good place to start if I wanted to learn more about the spheres of power and how they fit in with Mystara Cosmology?
The original Master and Immortal sets, or the Wrath of the Immortals boxed set, which was the early '90s update.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko » Fri May 17, 2019 8:54 pm

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Robin wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:05 pm
And as much of D&D is based on symbols of Alchemy, or witchcraft I think it is reasonable to use these.
There are lots of symbols of Alchemy. I don't know how many there are, compared to the Spheres of Power (as I don't really know what the Spheres of Power are), but maybe the Mystara designers were inspired by more of the Alchemy symbols and then rebooted things a bit to fit in with the needs of the Known World setting.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Post by NPCDave » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:02 pm

The DM's Survival Kit included a set of cards, and a subset of those cards was the Deck of the Spheres, which was an artifact that was created by the cooperation of five Immortals each from a different sphere. The back of those cards has the symbols of the five spheres, though you have to infer which symbol belongs to which sphere. The text also states that the arrangement of the symbols(one center, the other four in the corners) depends on the individual using the card. Of course the cards are only printed one way.

Robin
White Dragon

Post by Robin » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:21 am

Big Mac wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:40 pm
Robin wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 7:05 pm
There are lots of symbols of Alchemy. I don't know how many there are, compared to the Spheres of Power (as I don't really know what the Spheres of Power are), but maybe the Mystara designers were inspired by more of the Alchemy symbols and then rebooted things a bit to fit in with the needs of the Known World setting.
Reacted in that post. Thanx
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art
(to see all fantasy art; log inn and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/ with lots of information, soon active again.

All my collected works on The Piazza

LoZompatore
Stone Giant

Post by LoZompatore » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:27 pm

NPCDave wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:02 pm
The DM's Survival Kit included a set of cards, and a subset of those cards was the Deck of the Spheres, which was an artifact that was created by the cooperation of five Immortals each from a different sphere. The back of those cards has the symbols of the five spheres, though you have to infer which symbol belongs to which sphere. The text also states that the arrangement of the symbols(one center, the other four in the corners) depends on the individual using the card. Of course the cards are only printed one way.
Very nice find! :cool:
Unfortunately the symbols shown in the back of the cards are actually the symbols of the five Immortals involved in the creation of the Deck of the Spheres, as can be inferred by cross-checking the script listed in page 3 of the DM's Survival Kit booklet - which lists the five Immortals - with their corresponding symbols in HW boxed set or in WotI.
Results are as follows:

Khoronus (symbol: an hourglass)
The Great One (symbol: a dragon head)
Diulanna (symbol: a spear)
Masauwu (symbol: a "Y" representing a crossroads)
Razud (symbol: a stone tree)

A real pity indeed, for placing on the back of the cards the actual symbols of the five Spheres would have been much more appropriate, in my opinion. :(

Raymond
Gnoll

Post by Raymond » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:48 pm

What do those look like in the DM's Kit? I don't have that.

Raymond
Gnoll

Post by Raymond » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:42 pm

I see it now.

Khoronus = Time = hourglass
The Great One = Matter = dragon head
Diulanna = Thought = spear
Masauwu = Entropy = Y/crossroads
Razud = Energy = tree

NPCDave
Frost Giant

Post by NPCDave » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:31 am

LoZompatore wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:27 pm
Unfortunately the symbols shown in the back of the cards are actually the symbols of the five Immortals involved in the creation of the Deck of the Spheres, as can be inferred by cross-checking the script listed in page 3 of the DM's Survival Kit booklet - which lists the five Immortals - with their corresponding symbols in HW boxed set or in WotI.
Results are as follows:

Khoronus (symbol: an hourglass)
The Great One (symbol: a dragon head)
Diulanna (symbol: a spear)
Masauwu (symbol: a "Y" representing a crossroads)
Razud (symbol: a stone tree)

A real pity indeed, for placing on the back of the cards the actual symbols of the five Spheres would have been much more appropriate, in my opinion. :(
Thank you for the correction. I should have cross checked them against WotI, but I only checked the hourglass.

Return to “Mystara”