another week... another Glantrian project ahhaha

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

micky
Cloud Giant

another week... another Glantrian project ahhaha

Post by micky » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:36 pm

I was just flipping through my multitude of Mystara links and found this peach. This is an idea that begs to be expanded upon.

http://digilander.libero.it/agathokles/glantri.htm

I can't do much for the interactive part of it... but it is nice to have some of the various lesser dominions get fleshed out a bit. Hell... even the Principalities themselves needed it. Not sure how this will go... but I'll make this my next project and see how it goes. I do like flying by the seat of my pants...

as a bonus as it were... will also toss in some of the new dominions that were created to give some MUCH-needed balance to the Glantrian noble system and make things a bit more interesting. (namely like having more Princes, 13, than Barons 9... nope.. not having that). Just in case anyone likes the idea and wants to pop in some more dominions into Glantri... it makes Awards Festivals MUCH more interesting when half the barons aren't damned Undead and won't and can't participate :evil: .

As such.. here is what one possible notion of Glantri might look like post WotI (minus the Great Crater... that part of the WotI script was terminated with extreme prejudice, and left on the cutting room floor by the people that financed this big budget fantasy equivalent of Ishtar hahha)

starting with the NW quarter of Glantri.. as you can see... the Council was busy during the great war.. many new dominions in the west. In this particular frame there are 7 new baronies and 2 new Viscounties (1, d'Ylourgne being canon). I apologize in advance for some of the dominion names.. I had some real lapses in creavity in naming some of these :lol:

To kick it off and get the thread off the ground... let's do one of the new ones.

Montreux, Viscounty of

Area: 392 square miles

Population: 3500

*Villages: Cherburg (700)

Caen (250) is a thriving community of hunters and silver miners on the Southeast part of the Barony.

Cannes (100) is a mining community at the center of the Barony.

Sisak (350) is a farming community near the southern border in Isoile River Valley.

Garotten (250) is a wine-making community on the Loir River and headquarters of the Guard de Montreux

Ethnic groups: Averoignian 90%, Thyatin 5%, others 5%.

Languages: Averoignian, Glantrian.

Ruler: Viscount Michel LeConte (born 981, Blue Dracologist of the 4th Circle, Member of the Brotherhood of the Radiance)(OD&D:Wizard 16, AL-Neutral)

House: Sylaire.

Military: 40 Watchers divided into 4 squards each led by a sergeant. The Viscount uses them to patrol the northern forests and central hills for bandits, and wandering monsters out of the the north. The Viscounty employs 20 sheriffs who handle basic law and order within the Viscounty.

Watchers (40 F1, chain, shield, sword) equiped with Riding Horses are lead by Henri LeConte, the Viscount's brother (F6, plate, long sword+2, Long Bow/10 Arrows +1 and shield+2).

Montruex is sometimes visited by patrols from Vyonnes by the various banners of Malachie's Division that are stationed there. Chateau de Montruex has it's own particular defenses yet still often has a patrol of the watchers stationed .

History:
Viscounts of Montruex
Michel LeConte 1009-

Montruex is one of the newest of Glantrian dominions, created in the last round of dominion creation by the Council of Princes to help with managing the defenses, finances, and population of Glantri, as well as bringing the Parliment in line with all the Act of Enfiefment of the previous years in which 3 new Principalites were created. There had long been ideas about creating a Viscounty in the rich area of the Isoile Valley. The earlier expansions of Glantrian dominions bypassed these areas for they were hotbeds of Free Farmers (FFF) and were a proud independent lot, until the 1009 when the famous war hero, 'Dragon of Retebius', and just as importantly an Averoignian, Baron Michel LeConte expressed an interest to the Council, in claiming this area for a Viscounty. The council told him if he could get the support of the major leaders in the area the Council would honor him and his service for Glantri by creating the Viscounty. The FFF would be his problem to deal with. Flush with joy over the victory over Alphatia and in awe of LeConte any reservations of the area leaders were put aside and they agreed to support LeConte as the new Viscount.

The three years since the Viscounties creation have been good ones for the area. The Viscount himself has no interest in ruling a dominion himself but was fortunate and wise enough to appoint as his Seneshal, his father Gerald who has proven to be a caring and thoughtful Seneshal. If the people of Montruex had one complaint it would probably be the blue dragons that often are seen over the skies over the Viscounty but so far no problem has come of them and have not attacked any of the population or caused any real problems. As time has gone by, the population has even got used to seeing blue dragons with riders on them, rumored to be some sort of Draconic Knights formed by LeConte at his Chateux. The Viscounties prime resources are furs and silver but the area is also a prime farming and wine producing area with the Viscount's vineyards producing a dry white which has started being requested in the finest Inn's in Glantri City.

Food: Surplus.

Trails: The Morlay-Malinbois Parkway hugs the Loir River from the Vyonnes-Glantri City trail to Malinbois and passes through Garotten, and Cherburg within the Viscounty.

Economics: Due to his good geographical location, and resources Montreux is the second richest Glantrian Viscounty, d'Ylourgne being the richerst. In fact it is much better than most of those that claim higher titles. Silver and Furs provides the Barony with a fair amount of exportable goods. Agriculture is beginning to overtake silver as the prime resource of the dominion. Food is exported to Vyonnes from there it is often sent to the western baronies who while mineral rich suffer from lack of good agricultural ground.

Notable sites: Chateux d'Montreux is the residence of the Viscount and his family. Vineyards and Orchards abound on the estate but the heart of the Chateux is the large Manor house where the LeConte family hosts a Ball on the day of the Vyonnes Carnival where the leading citizens of Montruex, along with others selected randomly get to rub elbows with the elite of Glantri invited by the Viscount to attend from all over Glantri. Also of note at the Chateux, though few actually ask to visit, are the Dragon Stables where dragons trained by the Viscount and his apprentices and 'Knights' are housed. The Manor is guarded is guarded by an elite guard forces of 10 personal bodyguards (F7, Plate +1, Sword +1, Shield +1 -Spell Turning 3/d). The last line of defense in the manor are the four Knights d'Montruex, mages trained by LeConte as apprentices since 1005, who have reached their own levels of power and specializations.

Another notable site that has long been a source of legend is the place known to locals as the 'Endless Stairs' in the northern forests of the Viscounty. The place is shunned by locals, as it is said that any who try to climb the stairs never come back down... alive that is. However there have been some rumors in the last year that the Viscount himself investigated a murder in that area and soon after the area was declared off-limits by the Viscount on pain of death.

Coat of Arms: A Blue Dragon with a dragon-sized glass of Pineo Grigeo in one 'hand' and a book in the other. hahaha

next up.... The Barony of Oxhill
Last edited by micky on Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump

Gecko
Storm Giant

Re: another week... another Glantrian project ahhaha

Post by Gecko » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:22 pm

Looking at the map, I think that area (your Montreux) is roughly where I had a Fens community settled.

I think you have a typo though, underpersonalities- Baron Lowenroth lives there?

what year is this write-up supposed to be in? It emplies that the dominion is well established and economically flourishing, yet was only founded in 1009.

cheers.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:26 am

Gecko wrote:Looking at the map, I think that area (your Montreux) is roughly where I had a Fens community settled.

I think you have a typo though, underpersonalities- Baron Lowenroth lives there?

what year is this write-up supposed to be in? It emplies that the dominion is well established and economically flourishing, yet was only founded in 1009.

cheers.
oh thanks... I was using the previously written up Adlerturm as a template to keep the styles the same and must have forgot to delete him as I was typing :lol:

generally around 1012, 1013... it has had some years.. and wasn't difficult.. this isn't exactly borderlands, but long settled territory with capable leadership and management.
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:32 pm

hopefully that people might find any of this useful... we'll balance new dominions with the moldy oldies for those who just want the canon dominions.

Next up... the Barony of Oxhill. Major props to Aleksei Andrievski whose Pandius feature on Glantrian economics, http://pandius.com/glanecon.html is essential for running a full scale Glantrian campaign, not to mention the business of dominions there.

here is another map showing the Barony and it's neighbors.. old and new. I have 3 new baronies placed on this one.. two in the Sablestone region.. one on Darokinean border (believe that is canon in later almanacs). Looking at the map reminds me I need to edit the the Broken Lands area to reflect recent events.

Oxhill, Barony of

Population: 1120

*Villages: Oxhill (224)
Broken Tooth Junction (150) main mining output in the foothills of the Kurish Massif

Ethnic groups:Thyatin 30%, Fen 25%, Sindi15%, Flaem 10%, others 20%

Languages: Thyatin, assorted others throughout the barony

Ruler: Baron Edward Newbrute (born 986, Red Dracologist of the 2nd Circle, OD&D: M9, AL:Chaotic)

House: Silverston.

Military: Tower guards - 20 Archers F1 (leather, short bow, sword), 10 Heavy Foot F1 (chain, shield, sword)

Law and Order: The Baron employs a private force of 20 goons in addition to a normal complement of sherrifs and magistrates, who are above the law in enforcing the Baron's strict laws regulating licensed mining. (all miners must have licenses issued by the Baron, with fees paid to the Baron). Any illegal, unlicensed mining is dealt with harshly, from a night in the Baron's jail to an unfortunate fall from Pip's Peak...depending of the whims of the Goon Squad's leader.. Sammy the Bull Rizzuto.

Patrols from the garrison at Sablestone often makes stops here. The area has problems with bandits, and the Baron asks the commander at Sablestone constantly to bring patrols through Oxhill more often.

History:
Barons of Oxhill

Pieter Vandehaar 989-1009
Edward Newbrute 1009 -

Oxhill is one of the truely frontier Glantrian dominions, created by the Council of Princes in 989 to help with expanding the Glantrian hold on the Sablestone region and it's resources. Since it's beginning it has been the gateway to the western Kurish Massif. As such it is jumping off point for mining expeditions and the collection point for raw materials coming out of the mountains before being sent to Kern, Vyonnes, and Glantri City. As befitting it's mining roots and frontier location Oxhill has the reputation throughout Glantri of being a rough place. The people of Oxhill are a hard working, hard living sort and so fist fights, even knife fights are a common occurance at the many taverns and Inns throughout the Barony. That is not to say that Oxhill is a lawless place. As befitting a dominion in Glantri, those who appear to be arcaners are treated not as much with respect but with wariness. In Oxhill as well as through the rest of Glantri it is a crime for a mundaner to assault, or even insult an arcaner.

The Barony was carved from nothing by primarily Thyatin miners along with Flaemish arcaners and artisans who came with new Baron and provided a vernier of high society to the rugged frontier. The Flaems pretty much kept to their own social circles and remained aloof and indentified themselves more as transplanted Bergdhovenese rather than upper crusts Oxhillians. It didn't help that the Baron who founded Oxhill had no interest in running a dominion but seemed to be more interested in what went on around the Sablestone region more than what went on within his Barony. Thus over time the Barony under the lead of the Baron's mundaner Oxhillian Seneshal developed a strong tradition of self rule, taking care of their own. So things remained for years until the last year of the Great War when in the last round of dominion creations, the Baron won the title of one of the new Viscounties which opened the Barony to a new noble. In a dramatic episode of the rebirth of a noble family, the prominent Newbrute family of ancient Fen ancestory. The new Baron, Edward Newbrute is the grandnephew of the late Count of Soth-Kabree, Andrew Newbrute, who died childless and heirless in 963. With Edward's accession to the noble ranks the Barony of Oxhill has seen a rapid influx of migrant Fens to the Sablestone area, and not coincidently an exodus of the Flaemish population to more civilized areas or to the new Viscount's dominion.

Food: Deficient

Trails: There is a single trail of note, the recently renamed William J. Le Potomane Thruway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWg-mozGsU :lol: ) running through the barony from the north to the south. All the major settlements touch on this trail leading to the mines and operations in the Kurish Massif.

Economics: The economics of Oxhill begin and end with mining in Kurish Massif, those within the boundries of the Barony are assessed a flat license fee by the new Baron which has irked some of the miners, but profits are good so though they complain about being taxed to death they pay. Oxhill also serves as the supply, collection point, and R&R destination for mining operations further in the western Kurish Massif. Due to the mountainous terrain there is little agriculture within the Baron's domain but in the north there is at least some which provides basic staples like potatoes, and livestock. Food though is generally imported and paid with the minerals exported.

Notable sites: Broken Tooth Junction is a mining village near the southern boundary of the Barony. The town has a single street on which lots of clapboard buildings have been constructed. Lots of prospecting offices, taverns, and shops specializing in the tools of the mining trade occupy the town. The town has one 'event' that makes the town distinctive. Yarthmont 7 is a Baronal holliday celebrating the anniversary of the founding of the Barony. On this day, at high noon on the dusty main street of Broken Tooth Junction the annual 'The Quick and the Dead' festival is held. Two entrants come onto 'Main Street' alone, given specially blunted throwing daggers and a protective chest shield, with a target over the heart. With the crowd in betting frenzy, wearing their Sunday best, the two contestants are blindfolded and put back to back then told to march 10 paces and fire. The closest to the bulls-eye wins, if both miss the target, bets are rolled over into a rematch. If after a 2nd round both miss again, both are jeered by the crowd and tied feet first behind their horses and the horses chased out of town. That in the Junctions way of ensuring only 'quality' knife-slingers enter the competition.

Coat of Arms: A Shovel and an axe crossed over the backdrop of a snow-capped mountain.

next up... up to the Northeast.. and another new one. The Barony of Kursk (I know.. highly original hahah)
Last edited by micky on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gecko
Storm Giant

Re: Oxhill

Post by Gecko » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:34 am

How rural and agricultural is Oxhill supposed to be (on the one hand it has an food deficit and is noted as a frontier, but on the other it is a major home of the free farmers)
micky wrote:Population: 1120

Broken Tooth Junction (150) main mining output in the foothills of the Kurish Massif
with only 374 out of 1120 listed so, it might give the reader the wrong impression that Oxhill is a rural idylic agricltural eden. Perhaps some sort of reference that much of the rest of the populace lives in transient mining camps and impermanent mine-support boom towns, as well as a scattering of smaller hamlets not worth noting. :?: (unless you're making your version notably rural)

micky
Cloud Giant

Re: Oxhill

Post by micky » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:27 pm

Gecko wrote:How rural and agricultural is Oxhill supposed to be (on the one hand it has an food deficit and is noted as a frontier, but on the other it is a major home of the free farmers)
micky wrote:Population: 1120

with only 374 out of 1120 listed so, it might give the reader the wrong impression that Oxhill is a rural idylic agricltural eden. Perhaps some sort of reference that much of the rest of the populace lives in transient mining camps and impermanent mine-support boom towns, as well as a scattering of smaller hamlets not worth noting. :?: (unless you're making your version notably rural)

I dig what you are saying about the FFF, there aren't many farmers there... it doesn't make much sense. I thought about going somewhere with it, then didn't hahaha. Like I said, flying by the seat of the pants. Thanks Gecko, 86'ing that.

the numbers for Oxhill were taken from Aleksei Andrievski's article on Glantrian economics, http://pandius.com/glanecon.html which are based on completely on GAZ 3 so it seemed good enough to 'canonize'.

Oxhill
Main resources: 2 mineral
6 hexes: mountain; borderland; pop. 336; tax 16.8 dc
1 hex: clear; rural; pop. 560; tax 56 dc
Oxhill: village; pop. 224; tax 22.4 dc
Total population: 784 rural, 336 borderland

as you can see... most of the population actually lives in the one clear hex of the Barony which makes perfect sense. Small farms, subsistence farming, with any surplus sold to the south. It is not exactly prime Agricultural territory and I considered the Barony still at a deficiency since that surplus is not enough to meet the needs of the borderlands population and those that population supports that live outside the Barony proper. Though only a portion of the population lives in the borderlands (the 6 mountain hexes) they are what give the Barony it's 'character', which is what I tried to present here as rough, and centered around mining, no matter if 70% of the population doesn't even live there. Mining is what drives commerce in Oxhill, many of those farmers are ex-miners who have settled down. While still farmers, they are kept the 'frontier' mindset.. and that is what I was getting at. A mindset. A tough independent people.

keep the feedback coming Gecko... I appreciate it.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:07 pm

was going to do Kursk and the eastern dominions first before heading over the west. However before I get to them, a companion piece to the Western and Central Free Provinces which had already been done.

so here is the Free Province of Eastern Wendarian Ranges

Eastern Wendarian Ranges, Free Province of

Area: 5432 sq. miles

Population: 3304

Ethnic Groups: Boldavian 65%, Elf 25%, Other 10%

Villages: Redwood (416): located in the east of forested hills north of Kutchevski, and Vladimirov

Julinis (107): located 24 miles north the Barony of Kursk, it’s a village populated by scholars, trappers, and prospectors.

Government: Magistrate appointed by the Council of Princes, in charge for seven years. Seat in Redwood.

Ruler: Magistrate Silvana Gorriidel (born 870, Elf female, Elf 4, AL-L).

House: not aligned to any house but has strong support of Erewan and Boldavia

Territory: The mountains and large wooded hill area north of Boldavia running from halfway between the Baronies of Pavlova and Kutchevski, east to the mountains above the Barony of Kursk

Food: Deficit/Self-sustenance.

Trails: The only two regular trails lead to each of the two settlements in the Free Province. The trail to Redstone comes from Kutchevski and is patrolled by the elves up to the borders of the Barony. Another trail leads from Kursk to Julinis and is not patrolled outside of the borders of the Barony. There is has been no real effort to forge a trail into Wendar from the Eastern Wendarian Range. The weather is this area is extremely tricky and even if a trail was forged it would only be usuable for 3 months before concerns about changing weather would make it's use risky. Then there are the Dragons that are known to live to the west that are often seen over the Free Province. It has been deemed much easier, and profitable, by the merchants to swing east into the Heldannic territories make a stop in Grauenburg then move into Wendar. Smaller trails do exist into Wendar are are used by small parties crossing the border back and forth.

Economics: Magistrate Goriidel has one resource, the large forests of the great valley of wooded hills. The elves which comprise 70% of the population of this most populous area of the Province are in charge of the logging operations there. This had led to problems with the Council of Princes however and resulted in moves to remove Magistrate Goriidel from office. As befitting the Elven way, the logging operations are handled with a conservationist's touch. Never taking too many tree and investing heavily in replanting, which has cut into the perceived profitability of the operation which has upset some members of the council since those profits go directly to them. Goriidel's position has been saved to this point by the unlikely alliance, on this point at least, of Princess Carlotina and Prince Morphail. Carlotina's reasons being all the obvious, Morphail being opposed to having a large operation with all the resulting traffic and people moving in, out, and through his Principality. Like many wizards he puts a premium on privacy and he has no shortage of reasons for wanting to keep all sorts of strangers out of his Principality and his area of influence.

Other than logging, as other Wendarian Free Provinces, this one is very poor of resources but rich of dangers. The Magistrate, with prompting by the Council, has commissioned prospectors to search for mineral deposit in the mountains. So far without any positive results. Those who reside in the wooded valley tend to be self-sufficient with food for the forest support substantial amounts of game animals. Food for those who reside in the mountains is generally imported from Southern dominions or bought from caravans stopping in Redwood or Julinis.

Notable sites: The village of Julinis is a village supporting the prospectors heading into the depths of the Wendarians and the trappers that do bring some wealth and trade in the forms of firs and animal pelts, along with the occasional live animal or even monster destined to be sold in the Capital. The village also supports a research station sponsored by the Great School of Magic. The outpost just celebrated it's 10th year last year with a paper published in the capital summarizing all that the station has discovered. A group of between 20 and 30 mages and mundaner experts on Geology rotates in and out from the Capital. The town itself is a basic frontier outpost with outfitting stores for miners, trappers, scores of taverns and inn's for those who a warm bed and a brew after 6 months in the wilderness. Information is the real medium of exchange in Julinis. Monsters, ore deposits, migrations of animals, and weather are all that everyone, wizards included, want to talk about.

The village of Redwood is the administrative and economic center of the Free Dominion. The logging operations are centered here and under the watchful eye of the Magistrate. The town is also always in a semi-state of military alert as those in the valley share the forest and it's bounty with the Dragons to the west. The Dragons and the Elves have reached a mutual understanding that each uses the forest to live and survive and to fight over it will be to the benefit of neither and the detriment of all. As such the Magistrate has outlawed Dragon Hunting within the Valley and is unlawful to attack one except in self-defense. Amanth, in return, has pledged that no dragons under his control will attack those in the valley unless provoked first. So far the truce has held true. Not that all dragons have lived by this, or all humans for that matter. Humans that have taken to Dragon Hunting in spite of the Magistrate have almost without fail ended up as an hors d'oeuvre to a main meal of a large elk. Dragons that have tried to sneak in quick snack have run into the Magistrates trained and experienced guard forces that is always on the watch for such mid meal snackers. The town itself is a bit of a bore for the experienced adventurer. One tavern in the elven style town caters to humans and word back in Boldavia is the ale tastes like 'Darokin's Best' and the food like failed experiments from a Klantrian dive.

There is one last notable site to mention in the Eastern Wendarian Free Province. That is the tower of Loritil Drayroth. The tower lays just on the northern edge of the Province. However the existence of the tower is not common knowledge.. or even uncommon knowledge. Those that have found it, never escaped to tell others of it's existence. The tower is hidden by her powerful magics. Time will tell if anyone should discover this site, and live to tell of it.

Useful Links: Loritil Drayroth - http://pandius.com/drayroth.html
Last edited by micky on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:31 pm

so let's start working west to east through the Boldavian dominions... starting with a personal favorite of mine. Pavlova.

Pavlova, Barony of

Population: 805

Villages: Pavlova (161) is the administrative center of the Barony located in the foothills of the Wendarian Mountains underneath the Baroness's tower.

Djonick (101) Located in the southwestern hills, it is the agricultural center of the Barony.

Ethnic groups: Boldavians 85%, Flaem 10%, others 5%.

Languages: Traladaran, Flaemish

Ruler: Baroness Natasha Datchenka

House: Igorov

Military: A private army of twenty-odd bodyguards under her employ, mostly muscle-headed goons (at least F5 with Str 17 or higher) to help her keep order in Pavlova. Though once charmed, these goons have now sworn loyalty to the Baroness. In times of trouble, Natacha can easily increase her militia to about a hundred strong, through reserves, former comrades, eager recruits, local volunteers, mercenaries, or charmed minions from her barony.

History:
Barons of Pavlova

Natacha Datchenka 979-

Pavlova is a relatively new Barony, formed a hundred years later than the other established dominions in this part of Glantri. The dominion is rumored to have the fruition of a campaign by Prince Morphail to expand his influence in the area. In AC 978, trouble came to the village Pavlova, and the surrounding area, in the form of a cadre of fanatic vampire hunters. For over a year, these vampire hunters (secretly lead by a rogue vampire) stirred up the superstitious townsfolk, preying on their fears and organizing hunting parties. These parties easily became mobs, and these hunts quickly escalated into public staking.

News of the chaos in Pavlova eventually reached Prince Morphail Gorevitch-Woszlany. With the situation about to explode, Prince Morphail made a bid in Parliament to make Pavlova a barony and establish a definite military presence to control the area. Parliament passed the motion, and in AC 979, Pavlova was enfeoffed. As there were no other Glantrian politicians willing to rule a hotbed of civil unrest in the middle of a gloomy Boldavian countryside, Prince Morphail was free to install his own choice as the Baron of Pavlova. It is speculated by some politicians that Prince Morphail himself planted the vampire hunters to spark the disturbances in Pavlova, but this has not been proven.

Prince Morphail had planned to install Pavol Datchenka, a wizard and the mayor of the village of Pavlova, to be the new baron. But word of Pavol's death reached the Prince as he was about to make the pronouncement. Apparently, the mob had come to suspect that Pavol was a vampire, and had taken him and his whole family to be publicly executed by staking through the heart. Prince Morphail was at a loss, and made a secret visit to Pavlova to investigate the matter personally.

Within the next few days, Prince Morphail heard news that one of the Datchenkas had survived, Pavol's daughter Natacha, and she had organized her own band of militia and hunted down the vampire hunters. Natacha then installed herself as mayor of Pavlova and challenged any opposition to her claim to one-to-one combat. Prince Morphail arrived in Pavlova in time to witness the mob leader being beaten into a pulp by Natacha in a brutal boxing match. The mob died down and order was restored when Prince Morphail officially arrived with troops sent by the Council of Princes. Thoroughly impressed by her display of Amazonian strength, and since Natacha was a wizard herself, Prince Morphail proclaimed Natacha the new Baroness of Pavlova. Since then the Barony has been run effectively by the feared Baroness. She is one of the few mages in Glantri that is more feared for her physical attributes than her power in the arcane arts. The Great War with Alphatia brought death and war to the Barony as Pavlova, as well as other areas, suffered the effects of terrorist attacks with summoned monsters let loose in the Barony and around it. The Baroness and her goon-squad dealt with the threat in typically head-on fashion though and again cemented their reputations as the toughest around by personally dealing with the nastiest of the summoned monsters. Stories even reached Glantri City about the Baroness knocking an Iron Gargoyle out with a roundhouse punch during one daring raid in the streets of Pavlova. Those stories might be a bit on the side of fancy but there was not debating her toughness in close-in fight. In the last days of the war, the Barony was attacked by a party of Alphatian wizards as part of the celebrated last ditch assault by the Empire after Glantri destroyed their captial. Of course their attack failed when magic disappeared and Alphatia disappeared under the waves. There was no rumor this time as it was seen by all that the Baroness herself stood tall against several Alphatian mages and once the magic disappeared she beat them to a bloody pulp with her bare fists before they must have escaped. The village had ropes ready to string them up before they disappeared.

Though victorious in the war, it was not a painless victory for Glantri or Padova. The Glantrian census of 1010 showed a population of 805 which showed that Pavlova (like much of Glantri) lost close to 20% of it's population due to monster attacks, wizard attacks, and the plague. The years after the Great War have been spent picking up the pieces and getting back to the business of living. Strangely enough though the Baroness who loved to be out and seen by her Barony has remained closed away in her tower much more than she had before the war. Many wonder if that coincides with interesting meteorological abnormalities within the Barony.

Food: Sufficient

Trails: Fair trails connect the three villages, the tower of the Baroness and the mines in the mountains of Pavlova.
A fair trail connects Djonik to Rymskigrad to the south.

Economics: Padova is probably the leading producer of ice in the Principalites. Ice is a common commodity of course, but what Padovans have perfected is a means to prolong the 'shelf life' of ice and make it into an exportable commodity for the rest of Glantri. The secret in that comes from the mines in the mountains above the Barony. About two decades ago it was discovered quite by chance by local mage, Pliny the Elder, that the type quartz that was taken from the mines above Pavlova had a specific property when magical treated. When hit with a special control climate spell that Pliny knew, the quartz would hold the surrounding temperate around it for days....no... weeks at a time. The spell and the stone became closely guarded secrets among the Pavlovans. Over time the process was licensed to larger firms in Rymskigrad which allowed distribution to the Capital and points beyond within Glantri. Pavlova also breeds lambs for export, which provides a small income in addition to ice and the treated crystals for the Barony.

Personalities: Natasha Datchenka (born 946, Air Elementalist of the Third Circle) (OD&D: Mage 12th, AL: Chaotic, Nosferatu)

Mayor of Pavlova, Pavel Checkenov (born 980, Thief 12, AL-Neutral)

Coat of Arms: Image

Useful links: GPD – Natacha Datchenka by Kit Navarro

Glantrian Nobility during the years by Harri Mäki

The Economy of Pavlova by Aleksei Andrievski

Glantrian Heraldry by Chimpman
Last edited by micky on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:25 am

next up....

Kutchevski, Barony of

Population: 595

Villages: Kutchevski (119) The main settlement, and population center of the Barony is in the forested hills in the southwest part of the Barony.

Ethnic groups: Boldavian 94%, Flaem 5%, Others 1%.

Languages: Traladaran.

Ruler: Baron Piotr-Grygory Timenko

Military: The Baron maintains no standing military forces. He employees a standard complement of sheriffs and magistrates to keep law and order within the Barony.

Food: deficiency

Trails: The forest trail passes through the Barony running between the Lawensa Depession up in the Wendarian Ranges and Rymskigrad

Economics: Kutchevski is among the most wretched dominions in Glantri. Two large salt mines provide the economic basis of the dominion. Salt mining by it's nature is one of the more dangerous occupations in existence so any and all convicts are sent to work off their sentences in the mines. The heavy price of punishment has proven a major deterrent to crime so the local population is offered decent wages to take their chances in the mines and supplement the workforce there. That, plus occasional run-ins with undead especially vampires, gives the typical Kutchevskian you might meet in a tavern, a subdued, insular, fatalistic demeanor, even more than the typical Boldavian. Needless to say the Barony of Kutchevski has received the lowest tourism rating from the Glantrian branch of AAA 125 years running haha.

History:

Barons of Kutchevski

Alexandru Timenko 829-866
Vlaicu Timenko 866-883
Dan Timenko 883-918
Mihail Timenko 918-931
Vlad Timenko 931-976
Piotr-Grigori Timenko 976-

Kutchevski is one of the original dominions of Glantri formed the same year that Lord Glantri founded the Republic of Glantri. The original baron was a minor noble whose family had kept a hereditary position as Commanders of the Guard to the Boldavian Prince. Lord Alexandru was rewarded for his brilliant leadership during the Forty Years War with a Barony in the new Republic. The family has held the Barony in the family since then, never once trying to move to a different dominion during Awards Festivals when higher noble titles came vacant. The history of the dominion reflects the stability of the House of Timenko. No major events have really ever touched the Barony. Only in the Great War did anything other than the cycle of natural (and unnatural) death touch the Barony. Summoned monsters brought to Glantri by Alphatian terrorist squads did find their way to Kutchevski, the local population put up little resistance and the Barony had to be cleaned by the roving hunter-killer squads of Glantrian adventurers commissioned by the Council of Princes. All through the war, life never changed for the people of Kutchevski. They packed their lunches and made their way to the mines and then tried to make it home as quickly as they could before the sun set completely. As their fathers had.. their grandfathers had. After the war, life continued on as normal for the Barony. A never ending search for manpower to exploit the mines. To replace those that survived their sentences.. and to replace those that did not.

Notable sites: One of the only noteable sites in the Barony of the manor of the Baron. The Baron is quite possibly the most noted sage on Vampires and his manor is said to be a treasure trove of Vampiric Lore. Visitors are by appointment only though, and at night when few wish to be outdoors so visitors are a rare occurance.

Personalities: Baron Piotr-Grygory Timenko (born 950, Necromancer of the 2nd Circle) (OD&D: Mage 9th, Al C)
Seneshal of Kutchevski - Dingus McDiarmaid (Lupin male, born 980) (OD&D: Thief 8th, Al C)

Useful links:
GPD - Piotr-Grygory Timenko by Giampaolo Agosta
GPD - Dingus McDiarmaid by Giampaolo Agosta
Nobility during the yearsby Harri Mäki
The Economy of Kutchevski by Aleksei Andrievski
Last edited by micky on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:30 pm

next up... continuing the award winning PBS documentary 'Boldavia on a Crown' hosted by seasoned Glantrian tour guide.. the Mighty Mick haha

today's episode features...

Palatinsk, Barony of

Population: 1120

Villages: Palatinsk (224) The main village of the Barony located in the center of the Barony. The administrative and economic heart of the Barony

Mircea (128) This village, located in the southern woods of the Barony, is an important way station and Caravan outfitter for travelers heading east through the Czaikow Hills

Ethnic groups: Boldavian 80%, Flaem 15%, Others 5%.

Languages: Boldavian, Flaem, Thyatin (in Mercea).

Ruler: Baron Youri Ivanov

Military: 20 F1, horsemen (swords, bows, leather) The Baronal Guard

The Baronal Guard is a special handpicked unit completely loyal to the Baron who protect his tower. All administrative functions are handled in the village so the tower is the personal residence of the Baron and as such no visitors are allowed. Unannounced visitors have their names taken, along with the reason for their visit and but are turned away.

Patrols from Fort Tchernovodsk make regular stops in the Barony on their back to and from patrols in the Czaikow Hills.

Food: Self-Sufficient

Trails: a large fair trail runs east to west through the southern part of the Barony through the village of Mircea which is the main route from Rymskigrad to points east and beyond. An increase of trade with the Heldannic Territories over the last couple of years has done a great deal to bring increased traffic and gold into the Barony. Fair trails lead north out of Mircea to the large village of Palatinsk and south to Fort Tchernovodsk

Economics: Palatinsk is home of the horse breeders of the famous Tersk. The Tersks are known for their endurance, demonstrated when several horses were entered in the 192 mile ride, at the Kerendan Day of the Hoof in 1002, and every Tersk finished in good time and shape. They are also very fast, and frequently raced against Ylari Stallions. Over the last few years the Tersk, which has always been in demand within Glantri, usually priced well beyond any but nobles, military officers, or rich merchants, has become more in demand in foreign markets leading to a thriving export trade to all points of the known world. Needless to say, Horse Thievery is a capital offense in Palatinsk. A good sized lead mine in the northern hills, discovered back in the 980's, has provided the dominion a nice and steady mineral resource, as well as employment for the population. An abundant supply of game and vegetable in the forests and clearings gives the Barony enough food to be considered self-sufficient.

History:
Barons of Palatinsk

Moise Kviepoly 829-832
Vlad Kviepoly 832-845
Mircea Kviepoly 845-857
Petru Kviepoly 857-877
Mihneu Kviepoly 877-892
Alexandru Kviepoly 892-901
Radu Kviepoly 901-923
Gavril Kviepoly 923-929
Alberts Kviepoly 929-931
Matei Serban 931-959
Grigori Leon 959-973
Vlasniy Ivanov 973-997
Youri Ivanov 997-

Palatinsk is another of the original dominion created at the birth of the Glantrian Repubic. The Barony was awarded to Moise Kviepoly, an brilliant commander under Morphail during the 40 Years War. The Kviepolys, though they had been traditionally a family of fighters, managed to retain the Barony after the Light of Rad decision and continued to rule the Barony for over a hundred years. In 931 the Kviepoly family left the Barony they founded when they won the open Viscounty of Blofeld. Even today the name Kviepoly is fondly remembered in the Barony. The Kviepoly influence on Palatinsk is still strongly felt today and in fact is the source of pride for Barony. The Kviepoly family were champion breeders of the famous Palatinsk Tersk breed of horse. Over the 100 plus years of Kviepoly rule the breed became synonymous with Palatinsk and other breeders took to breeding these outstanding horses. Continuing the Palatinsk horse breeding tradition even after the Kviepoly family moved on to another dominion. Unfortunately the Kviepoly family dynasty came to a sad ending, not long after they shifted allegiance from Morphail to the House of Singhabad, when the whole family was discovered butchered in their tower. No arrests were ever made.

After the Kviepoly family moved on, the Baronal title passed between several families over the years before finally regaining some stability with the current Ivanov family who have ruled the Barony since 973. The years have been prosperous ones for the Barony. The crime rate, for some reason that sociologists at the Capital have never been able to offer a good reason for, is the lowest in Glantri. In fact is often said that Palatinsk may have the lowest crime rate in all of the known world. It is true that the people are much happier and much more prosperous than the average Boldavian. The current Baron by all accounts is a thoughtful and popular ruler, a hero to lower classes with his reputation of being a successful (ie long-lived haha) Vampire Hunter. He is a sympathetic figure within the Barony after word of his parents vampiric nature got out and how he had to destroy them. All those could explain a low crime rate but it really doesn't explain that low a crime rate. That is a mystery that no one has been able to explain to this point.

The recent war with Alphatia brought some changes to the Barony. Increased contacts with the Heldannic Territories to the east led to much more traffic going through the Barony, especially a marked increase in trade and caravan traffic. Unfortunately all that traffic brought a nasty side effect and the plague that hit Glantri, hit Palatinsk very hard. Documents published by the Glantrian Census Bureau estimate Palatinsk lost almost 40% of it's population during the war. Most of those due to the plague, and others were lost to monsters the Alphatians conjured and set loose. As such the Baron has put out a small bounty (10 dc per family) for people to settle in Palatinsk. So far the move is paying dividends and the population is almost back to AC 1000 population levels.

Notable sites: The Double R Bar Horse Farm The Double R is located in the southwestern part of the barony is a large forest and meadow property owned by the noted Priperov family of horse breeders and traders. The finest of Tersk horses are raised and trained here. Guided tours of the facility are given on the second and forth Lunadains of every month. Admission fee is 3 sv for adults, 1 sv for children 6 and up. Admission is free for those under the age of 6.

Two Legs and an Ass This pub in the heart of the town of Palatinsk is renouned throughout Glantri and is a popular destination for visitors to the Barony. The pub serves 17 types of ales and beers from all over the known world, 35 vintages of wines from Glantri and Thyatis, and some of the most exotic liquors you could imagine. The pub is a working monument to the 40 Years War with artists renditions of the major battles of the war, replica unit flags, and recreations of maps showing the deployments and strategic situations at various stages of the war. The food at 2LnA as the locals call it is the real treasure here. Here you can have what the locals call a hamburger, which is said to be ground beef formed into patties and then cooked just long enough for the outside to turn brown and then served between two pieces of bread. It is said that there is nothing better after a hard day at work than a Hamburger, some thinly sliced potatoes fried up, with a mug of Vestland Dark Ale

Personalities: Baron Youri Ivanov (born 963, M10, Necromancer of the 3rd Level, AL-Chaotic)

Useful links: GPD – Youri Ivanov by Andrew Theisen
The Economy of Palatisk by Aleksei Andrievski
Wiki entry on Tersk horses
Last edited by micky on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:43 pm

micky wrote:Useful links: GPD – Youri Ivanov by Kit Navarro
At the risk of sounding self-important, I was the author of Batman... err, Youri's entry. :lol:
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:57 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
micky wrote:Useful links: GPD – Youri Ivanov by Kit Navarro
At the risk of sounding self-important, I was the author of Batman... err, Youri's entry. :lol:
f**k hahahha

sorry... I cut and pasted the entry for Kutchevski changed the Baron's name... but forgot to change the author. Tried to get that posted before dinner and short shifted my editing. Changing that now :oops: :D

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:26 pm

micky, you've got a lot of great stuff here... the problem is that I think you write faster than I can read ;) Need to spend some time to catch up here, I'm getting behind.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:50 am

Chimpman wrote:micky, you've got a lot of great stuff here... the problem is that I think you write faster than I can read ;) Need to spend some time to catch up here, I'm getting behind.
thanks I appreciate that. :D I've made no secret of my appreciation, and how much I use their work IMC, of all the great stuff on the internet expanding Glantri past what was presented in Gaz 3. Especially all that the GPD did. I nearly broke a printer printing all that out hahah. Anyway I figure the dominions could use a bit of the treatment that the nobles themselves got.

Not sure if there is much interest... but I enjoy taking what they did and trying to expand upon that.

working on the next one I speak....

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:57 am

next up..

Vladimirov, Barony of

Population: 700

Villages: Vladimirov (140) The only population center of note in the barony. This village in the center of the barony, the foothills of the Wendarian Range, serves as the administrative and commercial center of the Barony.

Ethnic groups: Boldavians 90%, Kaelics 5%, Others 5%.

Languages: Boldavian, Thyatin

Ruler: Baroness Szasza Markovitch

Military: 20 F3 (chain, swords, longbows, riding horses, Charisma 16+) These men are all totally loyal to the Baroness and are drawn from the most handsome and toughest men in the Barony and surrounding area.

The Noble Guard of Markovich, was once a quite efficient military unit who assisted Morphail's division in patrolling the border of eastern Glantri against Ethengarian raids and incursions. Nowadays though, most of the veteran guards have left their employment, as many of the old guards didn't 'measure-up to the Baroness'exacting 'standards'. The patrols to the border have stopped and now days the guard remains within the Barony and whose primary purpose is to protect the Baroness' tower.

Food: slightly deficient

Trails: one fair trail leads south from the village of Markovich to the main east west trail just outside the border of the Barony to the south. Several poor trails lead into the mountains and one leads to the Baroness' tower on a low mountain overlooking the village and the hills below it.

Economics: The Barony of Vladimirov is a poor Barony. The mountains around the Barony have produced little but small amounts of lead which brings some income. Prospectors though continue to pry into the mountains looking for desposits of minerals that might prove valuable. Much the same as higher up in the Wendarian Range, so far they have had no luck. Other than the small amounts of lead coming down out of the mountains the primary source of income are the large flocks of game birds that, for unexplained reasons, tend to migrate to the Vladimirov area in the summer. The birds are prized in the kitchens of New Averoigne and throughout Glantri. The week of they traditionally descend upon the Barony corresponds with an annual festival in which prizes are given out to those who bag the biggest bird and for those who catch the most. The week ends with a great outdoor celebration the night before the Barony sends it's catch to Rymskigrad for sale. Typically what the Barony makes during the year is earned within the course of 10 to 14 days. As such frugality is second nature to Vladimirovians. There is little luxury here, but very often what they do earn in that week or two can see a family through a year. Since prospects economically are so bleak here, many of the best and brightest leave the Barony at the first opportunity, rarely if ever to return, to seek a better life in Rymskigrad or even as far away as Kopstar or the Capital itself.

History:
Barons of Vladimirov

Aleksei Markovitch 859-881
Piotr Markovitch 881-894
Konstantin Markovitch 894-900
Vladislav Markovitch 900-938
Boris Markovitch 938-970
Nikolai Markovitch 970-995
Saszha Markovitch 995-

The Barony of Vladimirov was founded in response the the Light of Rad in 859. The creation of the Principality of Boldavia meant that the existing Barony of Rymskigrad was to be dissolved and annexed to the new Principality under Prince Morphail. By the Light of Rad, If an existing fief was to be annexed to a Principality, the Prince was allowed to propose the creation of a new fief for the demised noble. The Council of Prince automatically grant that fief, provided the noble fulfiled all the requirements and provided he accepted the Light of Rad. Aleksei Markovitch was the dispossessed noble and a wizard who accepted the Light of Rad so Prince Morphail created the Barony which came to be known as Vladimirov for Aleksei. The Prince made this Barony the easternmost of Glantrian dominions and an important one for defense and exploration of eastern Glantri. Once the Markovitch family took the reigns of their new dominion they came to find, that while Prince Morphail gave him a great honor in making him the first line of defense in case of any threat from the east, the dominion itself was dreadfully located with few resources of any sort within the boundaries of the Barony itself. Thus the Barony served as a little more than a military outpost on the eastern edge of Glantri. Aleksei lost his mother, father, as well as his Grandfather (the previous Baron of Rymskigrad) in an attack by maurading Ethengarians. Thus Aleksei harbored a deep hatred of the Ethengarian and took to task, the implied Military function of the Barony and spent his years as Baron of Vladimirov exacting revenge upon the Ethengarians. He was known to be expert Necromancer, specializing in the creation and control of the undead and sent scores of undead horrors into Ethengar. Stories are still told in Vladimirov, and in Ethengar, of how the northern steppes were stained red by the blood shed by the Yugatis in those years. Aleksei finally reaped what he sowed in 881 when he apparantly lost control of a powerful undead who prompted killed the Baron.

The reign of the Markovitch family has continued through the years, rejecting any opportunity to participate in Awards Festival for any higher dominions that were vacant. However the prominence of the once important Barony has declined to next to nothing, after the creation of the Barony of Mariksen in 935 reflected the migration of population and extension of the frontier east. Thus the dominion was no more status than a typical Barony. Unfortunately that also left a Barony with little to no resources and little population. Thus with little to encourage people to emigrate there, and little to keep those that were, the Barony has remained one of the least populous, and least profitable in all Glantri. Even the world encompassing Great War against Alphatia left Vladimirov generally unscathed. The highlight of Vladimirov's role in the Great War was in 1006 when a tribe of Orcs came down from the Wendarians and descended into Vladimirov village planning to raid the Barony. That same day the Orcs turned back around and went back into the mountains. One of the whores at the Shattered Spear Inn was said to overhear the Orc chieftain laughingly tell his subordinates, in perfect Emporer's Thyatin, as they left that they only thing they might catch in the Barony was a case of the Clap and this place was best left for the damned Glantrians. No place, including Vladimirov, escaped the plague however. Due to the low population and how spread out the predominatly rural population is, the plague's toll in Vladimirov was a grand total of 31 people. Since the Great War nothing has changed in the Barony. The increased trade with the Heldannic Territories passes to the south through the Free Territories and has had little benefit to the Barony. The Baroness seems to care little about the lives nor the economic state of her Barony so life for those who reside in Vladimirov stands to not change for the better in the foreseeable future.

Notable sites: The only notable site, and only thing keeping Vladimirov from breaking Kutchevski's dubious record on having received the lowest tourism rating from the Glantrian branch of AAA 125 years running is the breathtaking beauty of the Natural Bridge.

The Natural Bridge is a geological formation in which Checkov Creek has carved out a gorge in the mountainous limestone terrain, forming an arch 215 ft (66 m) high with a span of 90 ft (27 m). It consists of horizontal limestone strata, and is the remains of the roof of a cave or tunnel through which the creek once flowed. It is crossed by the Markovitch Memorial Highway which is the main trail between the mountains and the village of Vladimirov. It is a popular tourist destination during the fall when all the leave turn and many of the greatest artists of Glantri have painted it.

Personalities: Baroness Szasza Markovitch (born 970, M12, Witch of the 3rd Circle, AL C).

Useful links: GPD – Szasza Markovitch by Markus Olavi Montola

The Economy of Vladimirov by Aleksei Andrievski

Wiki entry on Natural Bridge, Virginia.

Last edited by micky on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:47 am

somehow I think this project is going to keep me busy for a GOOD long time hahha.

next up... a two parter.. the current Baron has not really been given any kind of fleshing out like the other Boldavian nobles have, unless you count the G:KoM product. Which I don't :lol: .. personally if it weren't for the nice artwork I would have used that for lining the kitty litter box years ago haha.

anyway first the Barony... then I'll do something to try to improve upon what we known about the current Baron and his brother for those who might want Laszlo for their campaign purposes (pre-1012 I suppose).

Mariksen, Barony of

Population: 750

Villages: Medvezhyegorsk (150) Medvezhyegorsk is a growing village in the center of the Barony in the Wendarian foothills. It is the economic, administrative, and social center of the Barony.

Kyzyl (100) Kyzyl is new village in the southeastern part of Mariksen. It was founded by immigrants from the Bramya region of Glantri.

Ethnic groups: Boldavians 65%, Flaem 20%, Ethengarian 10%, Others 5%.

Languages: Various, mainly Boldavian.

Ruler: Baron Sergei Wutyla

House: Bramya.

Military: 20 F1 Cavalry (short bows, swords, riding horses). They are based in Medvezhyegorsk

The Baron's Calvary serve as the constabulary in the Barony. They patrol the Barony always on the lookout for trouble, from the outside and from the inside. Any troublemakers or lawbreakers are arrested and taken before the chief magistrate in Medvezhyegorsk. The cavalry also trains with Glantrian Army detactments and can serve in a military capacity as well as civil.

Mariksen hosts detachments from Ft Tchernovodsk. Though with the establishment of the Barony of Kursk to the east these detachments have not been coming as often as they used to come.

Food: slightly deficient

Trails: There are three main trails in the Barony of Mariksen. . The first is a fair trail. It is the main trade and commerce route of the Barony which runs from the village of Medvezhyegorsk south to the main east-west trade route which connects Glantri and Rymskigrad to points north and east. The second is a new trail which runs from Medvezhyegorsk to the southeast through Kyzyl and leads to the new Barony of Kursk. The third winds into the mountains to the Baron's new mining operations. Both of these trails have been rated 'poor' trails by the Glantrian branch of AAA. The Baron is said to be considering future public works projects to improve the quality of northern trail and perhaps the southeastern.

Economics: The Barony of Mariksen appeared for many years to be heading down the same path as it's neighbor, Vladimirov, had gone down. That of a new dominion created more for security and defense, that enjoyed significant financial support from the Council of Princes at it's beginning. However as time went by and the Barony was no longer required to be the eastern outpost of the Glantrian government and support from the Council dried up, the Barony would be left to it's own devices and it's own resources. Like Vladimirov, Mariksen had no substantial mineral resources and little land to cultivate for products for export.

Mariksen though had one thing that Vladimirov did not though. Luck and the discovery of a substantial, yet as of now undetermined, vein of Copper in it's territory. It's discovery in 1012, was unexpected and timely, happening just when Mariksen was beginning to feel the pinch of the Council's support being shifted to Kursk in the east. Infrastructure is still being constructed to make the Copper extractable and profitable but large scale mining operations are set to begin in the next year or two. The discovery sent shockwaves through the area and prospectors have descended into the Wendarians en mass. Nobles and area Magistrates have commissioned countless prospecting parties themselves and hope to be the next to strike it big.

Before discovery of the Copper and the immigration of the Bramyians to Mariksen the primary resource of the dominion was wax. With the influx of new immigrants from the Bramya region, a new village has been formed by them and attempts to grow Mulberry trees have started. Time will tell if the trees will take in the colder environment and if silk might become another product of Mariksen. Atypical of Boldavia and it's dominions, the people of Mariksen actually have reason to smile and hope for a brighter economic future.

History:
Barons of Mariksen

Lajos Wutyla 935-938
Bela Wutyla 938-961
Matthias Wutyla 961-990
Laszlo Wutyla 990-1012
Sergei Wutyla 1012-

The Barony of Mariksen was created by the Council of Princes in 935 at the request of Prince Morphail to assist in consolidation and control of the Eastern Wendarian Range and Czaikow's Hills bordering Ethengar. Created like Vladimirov and Palatinsk the Barony was more an administrative and military outpost. However after a hundred years of peace Morphail did not have a proven battlefield commander at hand to recommend to take the new dominion, so the title of Baron was to be decided by an Awards Festival. After months of feverish campaigning by scores of qualified wizards it became obvious by the time neared for the vote at Council that their were three that had distinguished themselves. The first, Lajos Wutyla, was promising necromancer whom Prince Morhail had his eyes on for some years. The second Piotr Szymanowski, a draconic sage of some note, was also a Boldavian who failed to recognize that Lajos had won the support of the Prince of Boldavia and thought Morphail was undecided. Of course the Prince was not about to correct his miscalculation. The third and final candidate who thought he had a chance and did not withdraw his petition to the Council was a promising Flaemish Mage, Aleida Verbeck, who hoped that she might capitalize on any anti-Boldavian votes.

Once the three had presented their petitions, and their credits before the council the voting took place. Szymanowski soon found out how, not matter what his knowledge of things draconic might be, his intellect did not extend to thing political. His case was dismissed while both Wutyla and Verbeck recieved the necessary votes and had their petitions sent to the Parliament. The last anyone heard of Szymanowski, he was soothing his crushed ego in the company of a sympathetic ear, the brother of Prince Morphail, Sir Boris. Verbeck however did read the political tea-leafs correctly and the vote in Parliament mirrored that of the Council and both received the votes necessary. In Glantri the solution to a deadlock as these, was to be a duel at the Dueling Court at the Great School of Magic. What followed was probably best described in the notorious Glantrian book 'A View to a Kill... 10 Famous Glantrian Duels'.

(reprinted without permission...though we tried haha. It seems the author went missing a short time after the book was published... as well as the publisher)

'.... then again it is not everyday that you get to see two high level wizards go at it at Dueling Court for this long. Both of the wizards after 20 minutes testing each others defenses warily pace around the white circle marking the boundary of the Court. Their eyes never leaving each other. After stalking each other around the ring for several minutes, both probably working out their next moves in their minds, Alaida makes her move to end the contest by conjuring an Air elemental.. what must be her ace in the hole against an opponent preparing for Fire Elementals. She smiles in anticipation of victory as she guides the elemental to the attack, blows from the elemental stagger then bloody the obviously exhausted Lajos. All of a sudden the crowd gasps audibly as Lajos shouts an unknown incarnation and two tall figures in black appear behind Alaida. Her concentration.. on the cusp of victory is shattered and she turns to unleash a spell on her new attackers. Before she is able to cast a spell one of figures in black grabs her arms, preventing her from casting and and as silence descends upon the crowd gathered to watch the second figures produces a knife and as the stunned crowd watches in silence pulls her hair back and slashes her throat from.......'

Thus in 935 Lajos Wutlya became the newest member of the Glantrian nobility as the new Baron of what he later named the Barony of Mariksen.

Mariksen through the rest of the century was an important military outpost and depot for Boldavian settlers who were beginning to move into Czaikow's Hills and the foothills of the Wendarians. A march east that started the previous century and after many years of peace was accelerating forward as the strength of the Glantrian military made large scale raids by Ethengar a thing of the past. Though the Barony had stability in that the Wutyla family has ruled the Barony since it's beginning it was never blessed with good leadership. Like many Boldavian nobles the people and lands of their holdings were simply not a concern, much less a priority, so life in the Barony was tough and dangerous with infestations of undead, especially Vampires being a problem. During the Great War, the Glantrian Army had a large presence in Markisen guarding the eastern landward approaches to Glantri and life for the Barony was never so good with all the soldiers spending their hard earned ducats on rest and relaxation. Monsters summoned by the Alphatians were a constant and deadly threat to the people of the Barony and the famed Boldavian Hunter-Killer group 'The Cossacks' led by Vladimir Ankundinov pretty much resided here during the war and Mariksen served as their home base from which they operated. The end of the Great War brought many profound changes to Mariksen, the hated and feared Baron Laszlo Wutyla was murdered by a Ethengarian Cleric and Laszlo's brother Sergei inherited the Barony. For the first time since the Barony was founded it had a Baron that actually worked to improve the state and condition of the Barony. This culminated with the discovery of a large Copper desposit in the northern mountains of the Barony. Also it must be noted that Sergei, surprisingly considering the circumstances that led him to becoming the Baron, has shown a great deal of kinship with the Ethengarian people. He has become very friendly with Prince Krinagar and invited settlers from Bramya to settle in his Barony. It is also noted that Sergei is rarely seen without a particularly striking woman of the Steppes. This interest in the people of Bramya culminated in the unheard of, for Boldavian nobles that is, move of Sergei switching allegiance from the House of Igorov to another. The House of Krinagar. What this might bode for Sergei and his barony remains unforeseen. Surprisingly the relationship between Boldavian and Bramyian has been pleasant. Both ethnic groups do keep with their own but when they have been together they have been cordial and civil. Add in a large Flaem population and you have the most ethnically mixed Baronies in the Boldavian region. The future looks bright for Mariksen right now, but the lesson of poor Aleida Verbeck should never be forgotten. It isn't over till you are 6 feet under, and remembering this is Glantri, and sometimes not even then. The following years should be interesting in Mariksen.

Notable sites: The village of Kyzyl is a village of some one hundred people in the southeastern part of Mariksen. It was founded recently by immigrants from the Bramya region of Glantri. The Mulberry trees planted in hope of cultivating silk worms are a source of quite some fascination to the locals. Two wizards that moved with settlers tend for these trees using arcane and traditional mundane methods.

Personalities: Baron Sergei Wutyla (born 950, M10, AL-Lawful)
Erega (born 970, C15, AL-Lawful)

Useful links: Glantrian Nobility during the years by Harri Mäki

The Economy of Mariksen by Aleksei Andrievski

Last edited by micky on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:29 am

micky wrote:keep the feedback coming Gecko... I appreciate it.
Chimpman wrote:... the problem is that I think you write faster than I can read ;) Need to spend some time to catch up here, I'm getting behind.
yeah likewise. I will comment, eventually :?

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:54 pm

Gecko wrote:
micky wrote:keep the feedback coming Gecko... I appreciate it.
Chimpman wrote:... the problem is that I think you write faster than I can read ;) Need to spend some time to catch up here, I'm getting behind.
yeah likewise. I will comment, eventually :?
cool.. thanks Gecko..

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:26 pm

next up... to finish off the Boldavian dominions... a new one from my campaign created in the last round of dominion creations in 1009. I show it on the map, to the east of Mariksen.

Kursk, Barony of

Population: 805

Villages: Pereslavl-Zalessky (161) Located in the southern hills of the Barony. The town is a major caravan stop and the administrative center of the Barony and a major military output.

Noyabrsk (110) A new village founded since the formation of the barony. Located in the center of the barony in a valley between two mountains. It serves as the outpost for those who live and work in the mountains of the barony and also weaves through mountains to the north out of the barony to the village of Julinis in the Eastern Wendarian Free Province.

Ethnic groups: Boldavians 65%, Flaem 20%, Others 15%.

Languages: Various, mainly Boldavian.

Ruler: Baron Mikail Zirchevski

Military: 25 F1 mounted bowmen (short bow, leather, short swords, riding horses)

The Baronal Guard is the force in charge of keeping order and supporting the local sheriffs and magistrates in their duties. Based in Noyabrsk, they often train and work in conjunction with army patrols out of Pereslavl-Zalessky

Food: sufficient

Trails: The main east-west caravan trail passes through the south of the Barony. It is like nearly all trails in Glantri is classified as a fair trail. A fair trail heads north out of Pereslavl-Zalessky through Noyabrsk into the Wendarian mountains to the village of Julinus.

Economics: Kursk for such a frontier dominion and a new one at that is remarkably stable economically. Subsidies are given to the Baron for construction of a fort to base the army patrols, which has given the people good steady work and ply. Then there is the economic boost that having army patrols stationed there that pump their pay into local products and services. As far as resources the area was settled well before the establishment of the barony, with the village of Pereslavl-Zalessky having been a caravan stop as well as being a center for the local free territory population for the last 35 years. The area is well known for it's hog farms which provide an excess above the needs of the local population and are often exported east and west. The region specializes in using pork in main dishes and several regional recipes have been picked up, and featured in some of the finest resturaunts in the capital and in New Averoigne. Since the foundation of the barony, the new Baron, like all the Boldavian nobles has invested in prospecting and exploration of the local mountains to find any mineral resources. There were some existing stone quarries in the mountains established well before the barony was founded. They provide stone preferred by local builders for permanent structures. It does bring some income into the new barony, but pork is king in these parts and this region serves as the source for the pork needs of the north-eastern region of Glantri.

History:
Barons of Kursk

Mikail Zirchevski 1009-

Much like the previously published entry for the Viscounty of Montruex. Kursk was formed near the very end of the Great War, created in the last round of dominion creation by the Council of Princes to help with managing the defenses, finances, and population of Glantri, as well as bringing the Parliment in line with all the Act of Enfiefment of the previous years in which 3 new Principalites were created. Kursk was a natural extension of a hundred and fifty years of expansion and consolidation of the far eastern reaches of Glantri. Much like Montruex, Kursk was a settled area previous to the barony being established and had economic and social framework already in place. As such the transition from Free Territory to Baronial holding was an easy one for the Baron who did not face carving a dominion out of nothing.

In the years since the establishment of the Barony things have been quiet and properous. Trade has increased with the Heldannic Territories as noted in other entries which has brought lots of goods into and through the barony. A fort in the south of the barony is near complete to provide a home base for extended deployments of Glantrian Army units who patrol the east of Glantri. Raids by Ethengarian horsemen were a daily threat but with the presence of of regular troops in the area the threat has decreased, though they still do occur. The Barony is ablely managed by a Flaemish seneshal who is a native of the area. The Baron himself does not interfere or really seem interested in events in the barony, preferring to reside with his family in Glantri City. The people themselves are happy with the situation since the Baron did have the good sense to put someone in charge who was one of them, and understands them.

Notable sites: Pereslavl-Zalessky was the seat of the (forthcoming) Free Province of the Eastern Czaikow Hills and for a frontier dominion is a thriving community with merchants from Daroken, the Heldannic Territories, Vestland, and even farher flung nations regularly passing through. Goods and services not readily available in many parts of Boldavia are regularly found here.
A new fort is being contructed outside of town which is to house Glantrian army detachments.

Personalities: Baron Mikail Zirchevski (15th Level Wizard, 3rd circle Dracologist, soon will be studying for the 4th circle)
Aalbert-Pieters Van Dijk; Seneshal of Kursk (7th level Wizard)

Coat of Arms: a Red Dragon's head over a black background

Useful links: GPD – Sinaria Verlien by Ohad Shaham. (introduced Zirchevski)

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:21 pm

next up.... the Free Provinces of the Boldavian region. Somewhat like Darokin. Those 'borderlands' are administered, in Glantri by the Council of Princes. Their primary duties to include: supervising the local authorities, collecting taxes, and upholding the law. Each Free Province of Glantri is administered by a Magistrate appointed by the council. To avoid confusion with the term 'magistrate' as it is used in canon Glantrian products (retainers at Parliament), I am giving these administrators a distinct name. Since Glantri at it's formation as a Republic was heavily influence by Lord Glantri and Thyatin ideas.. we'll use Roman jargon on this. A Roman governor was an official either elected or appointed to be the chief administrator of Roman law throughout one or more of the many provinces constituting the Roman Empire. A Roman governor is also known as a propraetor or proconsul. I like propraetor (more exotic haha).. so that is what we'll go with as the title of these Free Province Magistrates.

I don't believe anything has been written concerning these Propraetors other than their existence and the fact they are appointed for 7 year terms. So I'll take the liberty of establishing the ground rules. I may edit and add as I go but the first rule that needs to be established, being this is Glantri, Propraetors are NOT required to be arcaners. They are not nobility just appointed officials, and have no votes and are subject to, and answer ONLY to the Council of Princes. Given the distinction in Glantrian society between Arcaner and Mundaner, much as constables are not required to be wizards, Propraetors are considered as an agent of the law. Even a noble within a Free Territory is subject to the judgment of a Propraetors and must defer to a one WHEN the Propraetor is speaking for the Council of Princes, that is enforcing the laws of Glantri. Nobles (Princes excepted) are subject to all laws (even misdemeanors) of Glantri within the Free Provinces.

with that out of the way, it's on to the three remaining Free Provinces of the Boldavian region. The Three Fires, and the Western and Eastern Czaikow Hills. I will also be editting the territory and population of the Eastern Wendarian Free Province as well to fit the boundries of the next three Free Provinces.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi micky,

Still reading through, but I just wanted to ask you if you are pulling your coat of arms from some cannon source (I don't own GKoM), or are those something that you are devising yourself. Heraldry is a hot topic for me, which is the reason I ask. I've done several coats of arms for various Glantrian nobles, but they don't appear to match your own. I'll have to go through my notes again, but I think I picked up most of them from these websites (which again, may not be derived from cannon sources, but I don't know).

http://www.geocities.com/principalities ... lities.htm

http://gecko_g.fortunecity.com/br/mystara/glantri.html

Anyway, I may go back and do some variants shields based on your descriptions (if you don't mind). If you're interested in seeing some of the shields I've already generated you can follow the link in my sig (they may also be on the Vaults).
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:05 pm

Chimpman wrote:Hi micky,

Still reading through, but I just wanted to ask you if you are pulling your coat of arms from some cannon source (I don't own GKoM), or are those something that you are devising yourself. Heraldry is a hot topic for me, which is the reason I ask. I've done several coats of arms for various Glantrian nobles, but they don't appear to match your own. I'll have to go through my notes again, but I think I picked up most of them from these websites (which again, may not be derived from cannon sources, but I don't know).

http://www.geocities.com/principalities ... lities.htm

http://gecko_g.fortunecity.com/br/mystara/glantri.html

Anyway, I may go back and do some variants shields based on your descriptions (if you don't mind). If you're interested in seeing some of the shields I've already generated you can follow the link in my sig (they may also be on the Vaults).

awesome... that is the feedback I'm looking for. To answer your question. I just thought them up. I didn't check any sources for them. I will probably take ones that have already been done, and use them where I just 'thought' one up. Honestly I wouldn't have even thought to include them in the dominion descriptions but for the existing template that I referrenced in my first post. So anything I've done regarding coat of arms was just throwing something against the wall hahhah. I'd be more than happy to take what others have done and put them in place of what I did.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:11 pm

on the Free Provinces... here is what I am looking at. Will need to do some editing of the Eastern Wendarian (shifted the boundary west which will put the village of Julinus and the GSoM research facility in the Three Fires District.)

the reddish being the Eastern Wendarian, Blueish the Three Fires, the lavender being the Eastern Czaikow, and the brownish (was impossible for me to spray paint the borders without wiping everything out haha) is the western Czaikow.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:29 pm

Chimpman - just checked your Heraldry page.. .that is sweet. If you don't mind, I'd like to use those, and as I progress, any more you might have done. Much better than what I thought of hahha.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:54 pm

a new updated version of the Eastern Wendarian Free Province... removed some things, added a new village, and adjusted area and population. Might stick something interesting in it later.. something to give it a bit of character..

Eastern Wendarian Ranges, Free Province of

Area: 8232 sq. miles

Population: 4676 (took average of: 1 person per sq mile in wooded hills; 1 person per 2 sq miles in mountains)

Ethnic Groups: Boldavian 55%, Elf 25%, Other 20%

Villages: Redwood (416): located in the east of forested hills north of Kutchevski, and Vladimirov

Swaffelo (107): located approximately 24 miles east of the Barony of Kutchevski, it’s a village populated by trappers, and prospectors.

Government: Magistrate appointed by the Council of Princes, in charge for seven years. Seat in Redwood.

Ruler: Magistrate Silvana Gorriidel (born 870, Elf female, Elf 4, AL-L).

House: not aligned to any house but has strong support of Erewan and Boldavia

Territory: The mountains and large wooded hill area roughly north of Pavlova running east to the mountains above the Barony of Mariksen. Bordered on the north by Wendar and on the south by various dominions and the Western Czaikow Hills Free Province

Food: Deficit/Self-sustenance.

Trails: The only two regular trails lead to each of the two main settlements in the Free Province. The trail to Redstone comes from Kutchevski and is patrolled by the elves up to the borders of the Barony. Another trail leads from Swaffelo to Kutchevski and is not patrolled outside of the borders of the Barony. There is has been no real effort to forge a trail into Wendar from the Eastern Wendarian Range. The weather is this area is extremely tricky and even if a trail was forged it would only be usuable for 3 months before concerns about changing weather would make it's use risky. Then there are the Dragons that are known to live to the west that are often seen over the Free Province. It has been deemed much easier, and profitable, by the merchants to swing east into the Heldannic territories make a stop in Grauenburg then move into Wendar. Smaller trails do exist into Wendar are are used by small parties crossing the border back and forth.

Economics: Magistrate Goriidel has one resource, the large forests of the great valley of wooded hills. The elves which comprise 70% of the population of this most populous area of the Province are in charge of the logging operations there. This had led to problems with the Council of Princes however and resulted in moves to remove Magistrate Goriidel from office. As befitting the Elven way, the logging operations are handled with a conservationist's touch. Never taking too many tree and investing heavily in replanting, which has cut into the perceived profitability of the operation which has upset some members of the council since those profits go directly to them. Goriidel's position has been saved to this point by the unlikely alliance, on this point at least, of Princess Carlotina and Prince Morphail. Carlotina's reasons being all the obvious, Morphail being opposed to having a large operation with all the resulting traffic and people moving in, out, and through his Principality. Like many wizards he puts a premium on privacy and he has no shortage of reasons for wanting to keep all sorts of strangers out of his Principality and his area of influence.

Other than logging, as other Wendarian Free Provinces, this one is very poor of resources but rich of dangers. The Magistrate, with prompting by the Council, has commissioned prospectors to search for mineral deposit in the mountains. So far without any positive results. Those who reside in the wooded valley tend to be self-sufficient with food for the forest support substantial amounts of game animals. Food for those who reside in the mountains is generally imported from Southern dominions or bought from caravans stopping in Redwood or Swaffelo.

Notable sites: The village of Redwood is the administrative and economic center of the Free Dominion. The logging operations are centered here and under the watchful eye of the Magistrate. The town is also always in a semi-state of military alert as those in the valley share the forest and it's bounty with the Dragons to the west. The Dragons and the Elves have reached a mutual understanding that each uses the forest to live and survive and to fight over it will be to the benefit of neither and the detriment of all. As such the Magistrate has outlawed Dragon Hunting within the Valley and is unlawful to attack one except in self-defense. Amanth, in return, has pledged that no dragons under his control will attack those in the valley unless provoked first. So far the truce has held true. Not that all dragons have lived by this, or all humans for that matter. Humans that have taken to Dragon Hunting in spite of the Magistrate have almost without fail ended up as an hors d'oeuvre to a main meal of a large elk. Dragons that have tried to sneak in quick snack have run into the Magistrates trained and experienced guard forces that is always on the watch for such mid meal snackers. The town itself is a bit of a bore for the experienced adventurer. One tavern in the elven style town caters to humans and word back in Boldavia is the ale tastes like 'Darokin's Best' and the food like failed experiments from the kitchen of a Klantrian dive.

Useful Links: none...as of now.

Return to “Mystara”