another week... another Glantrian project ahhaha

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

micky
Cloud Giant

Re: another week... another Glantrian project ahhaha

Post by micky » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:46 pm

awesome I love feedback.. especially negative feedback!!

Got a email comment that 'the moors' was stupid and out of place! :lol: Well maybe not those exact words but I'll be looking at making that a bit more realistic and trying to finish Boldavia today.
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:13 pm

micky wrote:Pernegg? I need something better than Kern or even Haaskinz... and that sounds as good as any. Give me a reason or a importance TO that particular name for Harald and I'll write it into the Sablestone writeup as well as the political history document. [...] I do like the Pernegg idea, if you have any kind of backstory or significance TO that name in particular.. let me know.
Not that amazing background behind the name "Pernegg", I fear...
It's only the name of a minor Austrian castle/cloister I chose to use as the name of Harald's new castle... :oops: ;(

BTW, great work on the maps! I like very much how the 1-mph version is turning out! :cool:
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:45 pm

NP man! I still like it, and with your permission I'm going to bogart the name and use it. I'll create a significance for the name. I'm going back to Sablestone to do some tweaking (to bring the Kurish Massif up to Boldavian standards as far as detail and having less generic blobs of 'mountain hexes'. I'll change that name, on the main maps, detailed maps, Sablestone History and political history docs.

I didn't get much done yesterday but today I plan to finish Boldavia, start the basic layout of the next one.. the upper Vesubian, then get hard into New Averoigne's map.
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:44 pm

nice. I really really like this.

Boldavia done pending feedback. I've taken 'the moors' off the map but will likely come back in a more 'realistic' form once we figure it out. No sense hanging on that. I just deleted it and will revise as we hammer it out.

Here is Boldavia. Uploaded to the dropbox folder if anyone wants it.

so what is next. Will start filling in the details of the Averoignian region.. I had already done the broad sketch. I'm not sure if this will take longer or shorter since parts of this have already been done on a 1 mile scale. Morlay-Malinbois was in PC4, New Averoigne in a fandom work, and I've done some of the lesser dominions in free hand drawings. I'm not if working with no guidelines or working within them will be longer or shorter but we'll soon find out haha. This map is definitely larger than Boldavia but with a lot more 'open' areas.

After I finished Boldavia this morning.. I started the sketch of the next one in the batter's box. The Upper Vesubian Region. This one larger still than the Averoignian one but this one.. this one I think will be a real hoot. I did manage to get the Dragon Kingdom in it. That will fun and interesting to sort of detail. This one stretches from the top of Uigmuir in the north to just north of Taterhill in the south and from Aalban in the west to Klanyre in the east catching 4 Principalities and 7 more lesser dominions.

I'm not sure how I'll proceed from there. A quick overview shows that 3 more large maps would cover the rest of the Principalities and most of the dominions but there would be a lot of duplication which would cost me a lot of time. I likely will go with 4 smaller maps.

One for the Middle Colossus Mounts to catch Bramya and Skullhorn and the dominions around that.
Another for Belcadiz, Erewan, and the Glantri City area
A third for Blackhill and points south
A fourth for Caurenze and dominions around it.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:39 pm

a good start today on the New Averoigne map. The PC 4 map was not too hard to translate. Only made, and corrected about 5 errors which I caught in backchecking.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:31 am

Micky it's really great to see Glantri with so much details :) so my infinite praises for that!
But while the Boldavia map is detailed enough, the Sablestone map here:
http://s5.photobucket.com/user/magnific ... p.png.html
seems to be blurry and I cannot see clearly 1mile hexes and tags, even If I used the button "download media".
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:26 am

Thanks! Infinite thanks man haha!

What I've been posting are photobucket images. I think they are compressed, the forum only allows a certain size image to be posted there. Some images are of good quality, some I heard were not.

I've set up a Dropbox folder where I have the large image files, as well as the Hexographer (Dungeonographer) files in case anyone wants them. That might come in handy for those that either don't like the additions (they can wipe them out with the program) or want to change things for their own games and campaigns.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9ta2j6mjk4qf ... zeona?dl=0

If you have any problems accessing them let me know!

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:41 pm

Thanks, now I can see clearly Sablestone too!

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:30 pm

groovy man! Any critiques on it, or them, don't be shy.

My wife arrived back from Italy yesterday. minus her luggage... last seen by Air France to have been in Atlanta :lol: :lol: . So I expect to move slower on progress now she is back and I'm not alone here watching the walls close in on me when home hahaha.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:57 am

Zendrolion
Stone Giant

Post by Zendrolion » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:40 am

Good work on New Averoigne, micky! :cool:

Just remember to add Circé de Ville's tower which should be found "in the hills southeast of Touraine" (PC4, DM's Guide, page 60). It's not clear if Touraine here means Geneviève's castle or the domain itself, and so if Circè's tower is found within or beyond the borders of the county - this is up to you to determine! ;)
"The prince should study historical accounts of the actions of great men, to see how they conducted themselves in war; he should study the
causes of their victories and defeats, so as to avoid the defeats and imitate the victories" N. Machiavelli, The Prince, XIV, 5

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:57 pm

oh I wouldn't forget nor have I forgotten that interesting set of characters from the PC 4 adventure. I have made good use of her, she wanted payback after her brother bit the dust in the PC4 adventure and nearly got it, she nearly killed two of the PC's before finally having to withdraw. As the party were pretty much globe trotters, doing the X10, WOTI thing afterwards by the time they came back fulltime to Glantri they had matched, or exceeded her level. So she has been a indirect recurrent 'foe' to the PC's during the course of the campaign.

Look for a detailed writeup of her, she called in some favors and made allies with the anti-lycanthrope factions and became a noble IOC. She really hit it off with Dolores and is now president of the 'death to Malachie du Marais' club. ( I can relate, I was the president of the local chapter of the 'death to Jon Bon Jovi' club in High School) :lol:

The Averoignian map cuts off immediately at the east border of Touraine (it was large enough haha). I think I'll make it s.e. of the Countesses tower, within the dominion itself, and get the de Ville tower on the Averoignian themed map.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:02 pm

and added the de Ville family tower. This is really beginning to take shape. I'm going to work west to east, south to north as I really need to think over how I want to do Aalban and the surrounding area.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:49 pm

here is where the Averoignian maps is heading into the weekend.

A lot of work to add names to all the places but now that I look at it, it is pretty close to being finished as far as the fine details other than the Aalban area which I will do last and likely not till the next map is ready and I'll likely fill in both at the same time.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:55 pm

nice... curious how it will look when finished
respect ;)
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:43 pm

thanks Robin! Back at you man..

now working on two at one time. :lol:

the Averoignian one is done except for the Aalban areas,

so I started the new map and am filling in overlapping areas of both.

Needless to say I'll be working on the Upper Vesubian one from west to east.

I think the next one, which I'll start sketching out with be the Red and Arnus River valleys (Caurenze and Blackhill). Sablestone needs an update and doing the map that adjoins it to the south is a good excuse to get it done.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:21 pm

here is where the maps stand.

New Averoigne is finished and uploaded to the dropbox folder.

So true to form, finished one and started laying out another.

Next up will be the Arnus and Red River valleys

plowing ahead with the Upper Vesubian, the original layout had it just short of the Boldavian map so I expanded it slightly to the east and now they have a slight overlap.

speaking of Boldavia. A good revision of that will be worked on. I got some really good feedback on that and want to work that into it. I'll probably finish that as I finish the Upper Vesubian map. I'll probably do the Sablestone revision when I do the Red/Arnus River Valleys.

Baron
Ogre

Post by Baron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:39 am

New Averoigne looks great! Looking forward to seeing what you want to change on Boldavia.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:34 am

The Averoigne link on photobucket seems to be a low definition image....

Kilr Kowalski
Gnoll

Post by Kilr Kowalski » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:07 am

The High Res version seems to be up on the drop box link Sturm.
It looks great BTW Micky.

Mark

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:55 am

Thanks, I could not find the link.
Great map, yet it seems its definition is worse than Sablestone and Boldavia...

Baron
Ogre

Post by Baron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:47 pm

Hm, now that I think of it, I got that impression, too.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Baron wrote:Hm, now that I think of it, I got that impression, too.
hmmm.. I see that as well.

Reupping a higher res version. :D

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:17 pm

oh yeah. I didn't realize I didn't have a big honkin' image uploaded. Uploaded an 8 meg image to the drop box file

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Kilr Kowalski wrote:The High Res version seems to be up on the drop box link Sturm.
It looks great BTW Micky.

Mark

thanks Mark! I really like that map. My favorite so far, I'm learning as I go. I have a few talents but map making is one I'm having to learn as I go haha. Thus the revisions needed to earlier maps. The mountains of the Sablestone map need work to fully flesh out, and the rivers in both the Sablestone and Boldavia need a little more TLC. Plus I have some good feedback on Boldavia I'd like to work in.

Return to “Mystara”