another week... another Glantrian project ahhaha

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

micky
Cloud Giant

Re: another week... another Glantrian project ahhaha

Post by micky » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:52 pm

awesome! Always nice, though rare, when I inspire good productive demonic behavior from women :lol: ;) Checking it out as soon as I finish my list of fandom sources for the d'Ambrevilles. I'll want a slight break putting everything together in my head and will turn my full attention back to the map before starting to write all this out.

making an edit to my Ansel Widefarer document.. I see I forgot a fandom source used with the character. The Glantrian Foreign Service by Kit Navarro. Adding that.
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:06 pm

np..i'll continue on the map tomorrow, as my D&D group is working on their home expansion...so no D&D this week...drat
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:09 pm

cool.. I will get to it today or tomorrow.. about got all the sources covered!
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:17 pm

deleted for being.. deaf dumb and blind...

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:45 pm

draft 2 was crashed on the site deviant art, luckily i had the original, however, already worked on it so here draft 3
Whatdid I do
1 added the 2.66 mile map region of darokin, lake amsorak, to make a nice rectangular map , added to mine
2 mixed detail and some geology to explain ithel river, by making ithel glacier and glacial lake.
3 finished silver sierra valleys
http://sta.sh/02bt8uxgwdlc
click to enlarge and view if only white visible or use downloadbutton right
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:47 pm

micky wrote:deleted for being.. deaf dumb and blind...
??
uhuh, oe oe, boing :P

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:03 am

oh no Robin.. I posted something here that I meant to post in the d'Ambreville thread..

the dangers of spamming.. you lose track of where you are

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:27 pm

so... let's turn our heads back to the Outerworlders. It came up when I did the history of the Sablestone region, they will come up in the history of the New Averoigne region. It is probably time for a history of the Outerworlder population in Glantri.
micky-History of Sablestone wrote:The Sablestone region, like the rest of the borderland region between Glantri’s western mountains and the Adri Varna Plateau, was not settled by either the Flaem nor the elves upon their arrivals in the Highlands. The lands were first settled by several groups of Outerworlders who, like the Flaem, were brought to Mystara by the Overlord. After his defeat most returned to their previous homes but some either could not or chose not to return and most settled in the Adri Varma, the Highlands or the lands between them. A large group settled in the Sablestone region, giving the region its name. Most of the new settlers settled close to a creek that flowed through the heart of the region and eked out a living the dry arid conditions of Sablestone.
Back when I did the history of the Flaem I did take the Dragonlord Chronicles and make that a part of Glantrian canon. No reason not to, it gave us a good detailed pre-history of the Flaem (and the Highlands itself) that GAZ3 sort of broad stroked over.

What it did though is leave us with a somewhat large indigent population residing in the Highlands.

So what do we know of them. Canon-wise I'll go back through the Dragonlord books to specific details as they exist. Other than that, we do have the old B3 adventure and the Gulluvians. They could easily be written as Outerworlders.

Of the mass of Outerworlders that remained (by choice or necessity) after the Overlord was defeated? They could break a couple of different ways.

One ..that stayed in the Adri Varma... perhaps becoming the Gulluvians of the early B3 module and later fandom works.
Two ... a group that settled the western borderlands between the Adri Varma and Glantri
Three ... there is room for a 3rd group, out of the way of Glantri proper and the already well established history of... likely in the upper Isoile Valley... never was a part of Glantri until the d'Ambrevilles arrived and finally decided to join the Glantri years later

Four.. an intriguing possibility. The Belcadiz Human.. one can stay with just offspring of mating of Belcadiz elves with other 'traditional' Glantri ethinicities (ie Thyatians, Fen, Kaelic) or they could be the remnants (some pure who adapted the culture of the Belcadiz, others offspring of matings with the elves) of a group of Outerworlders who wanted to settle in the Highlands but found the Flame unsufferable and a bit too highstrung.. thus they migrated south to the lands of the Belcadiz and settled there amoung the much more 'live and let live' Belcadiz.

Likely as soon as I finish the family history of the d'Ambrevilles and while working of the history of New Averoigne I'll do a concurrent history of the Outerworlders in Glantri

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:32 pm

As working on "your"our map...I do still need some reflection of you...at least thus far.
I am working on it tomorrow again, so I can use any input.(I also work on the Soth-Kabree/Nathrat/Ritternour/Southern Free Province btw..so any input on flaws/omissions there please inform me ;) )
One interesting thing I saw while merging the maps(Sean's, Your's, canon, Darokin) is the shape that come forth from the Redstone region....
A it is almost round
B it has a higher central area ( after which the area was probably named; Red stone )
C it has some other minor mountain spots following your map
D The outer edges are higher than the inner centre
E a river and lower area NE seem to hide that corner

All in all it seems that this area has been an old(very olde) impact crater with a less devastating effect... as the canon Great Crater of the WotI adventure.
Checking the older maps (canon/fanon) it was first mapped in 2300 BC but not on 3000 BC maps. So somewhere inbetween there, when the region was very barren and devastated by the GRoF event and aftermath.
The central area is the meteor itself, http://www.lpi.usra.edu/science/kiefer/ ... ucture.gif
As thus I assume that the Redstone is red due oxidation and holds meteorite iron...a highly demanded ore...
I assume some mining should be there...

Let me hear your opinion :P

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:54 pm

no doubt... tomorrow is a catch up map day Robin. I had to put the pedal to the metal with the d'Ambreville stuff while the creative iron was hot.

now I can relax a bit and take my time with the detailed writeup. I'll get back to the maps tomorrow! and first thing will be giving the Wylon and Redstone maps the full court Micky press....

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:03 pm

Robin wrote:As working on "your"our map...I do still need some reflection of you...at least thus far.
I am working on it tomorrow again, so I can use any input.(I also work on the Soth-Kabree/Nathrat/Ritternour/Southern Free Province btw..so any input on flaws/omissions there please inform me ;) )
One interesting thing I saw while merging the maps(Sean's, Your's, canon, Darokin) is the shape that come forth from the Redstone region....
A it is almost round
B it has a higher central area ( after which the area was probably named; Red stone )
C it has some other minor mountain spots following your map
D The outer edges are higher than the inner centre
E a river and lower area NE seem to hide that corner

All in all it seems that this area has been an old(very olde) impact crater with a less devastating effect... as the canon Great Crater of the WotI adventure.
Checking the older maps (canon/fanon) it was first mapped in 2300 BC but not on 3000 BC maps. So somewhere inbetween there, when the region was very barren and devastated by the GRoF event and aftermath.
The central area is the meteor itself, http://www.lpi.usra.edu/science/kiefer/ ... ucture.gif
As thus I assume that the Redstone is red due oxidation and holds meteorite iron...a highly demanded ore...
I assume some mining should be there...

Let me hear your opinion :P
and today is catch up day with the maps today Robin! Starting with Wylon, Redstone. Trasnferring what you did to my maps then giving feedback.

As far as Soth-Kabree, Nathrat, Rittenour. I haven't written up those dominions yet. That area was to be next after I finished the Red River-Arnus map as I have all the domionions in that area written up. I have been using the maps as a sort of check up list to get dominions written up that I hadn't previously. I sort of also wanted to finish my work on Thar's invasion to establish the base line history that would then be the basis of the later history of those dominons. Here it is likely we can work together but in reverse of what we might have done previously where you took previous work and put it to map, here I willl likely take what you have done with the maps and tranfer that to the writeups. I'l look at those today as well and give you some feedback but again they are very open ended right now (very undeveloped by fandom) so you did have a sort of black canvas to work with.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:15 pm

holy smokes Robin!!!! Just checked out your blog and your deviantart page. Wonderful wonderful work....

I ESPECIALLY love that trail map you did from Corrunglain to Trintin. fabulous! *missing Piazza emoticon for clapping hands*

on a personal note... really dug your mini bio there. My kind of person there... and will spare you probably the 1000th question of just HOW THE HECK can you type with fingernails that long ...

anyhow... going to my map and adjusting it (as best I can using Hexographer) what you have done with Wylon. Mine may be a bit different as my maps are circa 1014 and this dominion was on the front lines of the war with Thar.. it will be scarred....

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Robin wrote:
Beware...You've unleashed the mapping demon of Hell :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
See Draft 2 of the map thus far.
What I've done now
1 Removed the crater on Sean's map further and replaced with mountains and valleys.
2 readjusting some fitting issues between my map and Sean's (his hexes came out of size, in reflection to my map and its own left side?? It is solved now
3 added snow/ice on mountains
4 added streams, lakes and forestation
5 readjusted Volcano...It is now snow covered and actually very high...in reflection to its surroundings.
6 placed some tags and names where missing, I took them from your map
http://sta.sh/0osiozd7nux
Let me know if you're content.
this link didn't work for me Robin

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:20 pm

bumping for myself :D
Robin wrote:I'll answer your last post later.
It is 01.55 and I need to stop my bed from calling me :? :o
Spend the last 12 hours in the map....
This is its first draft

http://sta.sh/01ibl6c4a1y6
1 I grabbed Your map thus far of Redstone area
2 I grabbed Sean Meaneys map of the great Crater
3 I grabbed my map of the Broken Lands and copied the section of Glantri containing Wylon,and others along the Red River
4 Opened all in Paint.
5 Enlarged Sean's and your maps until the hexes were equal to those I use from my Legend.
6 Superimposed your map over Sean's map where he placed the Crater...as mountains do not suddenly appear or dissapear, most mountains pictured there must also exist prior, thus also in our map (lol I like the "our"effect in this).
7 attached my map to the combined map thus far.
8 reposisioned the Red River (moving it 8 miles south, so it would fit with my map and still within the canon 8 mile map
9 as your map covers most of the crater area, your map will be the dominant one in those areas.
10 as sean's map covers all undamaged areas West+north of the crater those areas are dominant.
11 covering all hexes thus displayed with my hexes as given as per maps of those regions.
12 accentuating volcano+lava tunnels + volcanic formations
13, differentiating altitude in canyons/valleys by placing Alpine meadows, evergreen trees and creeks
14 placed your creeks and those missing in Sean's map
15 readjusted these creeks by the lake
16 placed beaverdams (3) and swamp on lake border, outlined lake to differentiate lake's edge
17 placed settlement as per your map, thus "Solen" came on the other side of the lake...what is convieniently as "Solen" is Swedish for "alone"
18 placed trails based on your trails readjusting them somewhat. placed "solen Ferry"
19 As Mnt Redstone is a dominant name on your map and the same area is a vast broken land area on Sean's map, I decided that the lake, you placed, made the mountain porous and let it cave in when the meteor crashed down, thus explaining the vast broken lands area and placing the mountain somewhat readjusted where you desired it...with the lake, but a bit bigger and part of the Mountain chain Silver Sierras
20 placed triangle marker to locate mountain tops
Added your mines
21 added trails to mines
22 added readjusted name Mount Twillingssister & altitudes and estimated altitude lake
23 readjusted Red River to come together between your and Sean's map,
24 readjusted upper secction of Red river to alpine meadows due altitude
25 added creaks to fill lake Mbnt Redstone(incl. underwater stream
26 Added readjusted Altitudes Mnt Trivas & Redstone
27 Added sandshore RedRiver
28 changed Forsti into Första (Swedish for "the first")

Hope you like it thus far... :? :roll:
Of course a lot is still flawed or missing
More altitudes must be inserted and the region between my map and Redstone is still near to blank.
The whole section of the Silver Sierras has to be mapped using Sean's crater map as a base for the undamed sections, and to create the rest myself.
Now to bed I go :halo: :P

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:41 pm

micky wrote:
Robin wrote: http://sta.sh/0osiozd7nux
Let me know if you're content.
this link didn't work for me Robin
Of course, as I said a bit earlier, that link became flawed, while I improved the original further. so at the moment only the first and 3rd draw are available. here the 3rd draw link
http://sta.sh/01ibl6c4a1y6

Nice you liked the trail Map and the rest of the maps. Have you seen the pen & pencil art?.to see all fantasy art; enter Deviantart as member and declare you are an adult...stupid frigging exposure rules...as if a nipple is more dangerous than the blood/violence/gore Deviantart is filled with :o :? :evil:

and to the personal; You'll get used to everything. Even hanging...after a few moments you stop complaining :twisted: :mrgreen:
I am completely used to the 6+inch heels, the corsetry, and the nails and a lot more.
Life is hard, but D&D keeps me up, and gives me some of the relection I need to fight the depression. So in all I thank all D&D fans who like my stuff.

To the Wylon map...of course it will be a bit different as your maps does not use the crater...I should mention that though..to avoid confusion. So no problem.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:31 pm

I'm not familiar with deviantart... first time ever actually really hahah. I am a tech idiot Robin.

I'm in the middle of transferring Wylon to my map but this will take some time.

I might as well do Blackhill as well and as well as Redstone. Once I have them transferred then I've give you my thoughts and feedback.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:40 pm

Robin wrote:
Nice you liked the trail Map and the rest of the maps. Have you seen the pen & pencil art?.to see all fantasy art; enter Deviantart as member and declare you are an adult...stupid frigging exposure rules...as if a nipple is more dangerous than the blood/violence/gore Deviantart is filled with :o :? :evil:
I'll have to make myself a member I suppose to check everyone out..

and oh yeah.. I am an American... I grew up in a prudish priggish society. Guns.. Drugs.. booze....violence.. HELL YEAH... bring 'em on...

show a nipple or god forbid nudity... oh no.. can't have that. Think of the youth... :lol:

hihama
Vesihiisi

Post by hihama » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:51 pm

micky wrote:
and oh yeah.. I am an American... I grew up in a prudish priggish society. Guns.. Drugs.. booze....violence.. HELL YEAH... bring 'em on...

show a nipple or god forbid nudity... oh no.. can't have that. Think of the youth... :lol:
As a person who grew up going to sauna with parents, brothers, relatives, friends, total strangers, who ever. Naked. I really cannot understand that kind of attitude. Yes, I'm from Finland and nudity is no problem for me. :D

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:18 pm

I warned my wife before she moved here.. but it isn't something you can appreciate or understand until you fully experience it. She has been living here for 8 years and is still flabbergasted by our society.

We truly are a great mass of contradictions.. America...the nation of immigrants ... built by them...that is the land of opportunity.. that is if you are christian.. oh yeah.. and white... :lol:

The frontier mentality which is very deeply ingrained here even though it hasn't seen a rampaging Indian warrior or foreign invader in centuries explains our cultures continued great love of guns and our glorification of, and great propensity for violence. Upon ourselves or others.. yet due to our puritanical origins as nation.. with God and all that stuff... we are extremely conscious about sex, nudity and all that jazz. It makes no sense.. but that is America in nutshell I suppose. :D

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:59 pm

yo Robin! Got a question for you. What are those hexes in the upper right of the Wylon map supposed to be so I can find a suitable Hexographer translation.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:10 pm

yo. Micky :P

how the F... :evil: do you succeed to post the map here where i could not... :o :?
Whatever.... :roll:

I use this legend; :mrgreen:
http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/art/Legend-610520076
The Bright Green along the creek is thus Produce land, very fertile (by Dung, compost, crop rotation plans, magic, etc), mostly only one sort of plant per land section. Straw is a byproduct regularly used for matrass filling or house building/isolation.
The midgreen is thus cattle land(Sheep, cow, horse, pig, etc mostly bordered up with thread, barbed wire, fences, rows of bushes, or even magic). Mostly 1 or 2 species of animals togerher, mostly only grasses, regularly cut/dried/stored as straw for winter season or extra feeding.
Both are farmlands

the pale green is thus unused wilderness grass/herb lands, sometimes former farmlands and neglected thus may have borders. Sometimes tactical open spaves (like North of Bugburbia) to easily view coming invasions from afar. Medium Fertile, used by wildlife only.(or rarely hunters/foragers).

Other flatlands I use are;
Pastorable Meadows,(yellowish with green grass within), medium for grazing, very variable(not only grass but also other plants/flowers dominant), medium fertile, good for hunting (rabid, mice, rat, lemming, etc)
Poor choice grazing Lands (Yellowish with lots of little grey stripes)Bad for grazing, poor, easily grazed to extinction
Choice Grazing lands (green with grass within) Good for grazing larger cattle, fertile.
These three do not have fences/borders

The sections you encircled are
A wizards tower (tower/keep symbol with pink dot)
A minor trail (for as far as you could name it a trail) even less than the regular farm trails (medium dotted line) or treu trails (larger dotted lines), or roads (black line). When they are purple, they are forgotten but still existing, when brown they are underground.
the small group of rectangular is a Hamlet or a few farms located together for any reason
Somewhere in the future I intend to explain all the landscape hexes in detail in my Blog.. but other things first.

As to you mapping, i believe ---as far as I remember someone explaining me here somewhere... that it is possible to use drawings here as hexes in hexografer (or similar), so it might be possible you'll be able to rip my legend and isert them as you desire.
However, As I am not able to use hexographer, ...I am not so sure if this is indeed possible, but you may try ;)
All my maps on Deviant art can best be downloaded by use of the green arrow button right for best results...as when you copy paste...clarity will often be lost

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:30 pm

thanks Robin! If I picked up what you put down, I found corresponding Hexographer hexes

the whiter hexes are standard grasslands

the darker ones being grazing lands

as far as posting pictures.. .easy! I use Photobucket as a image hoster. Granted (as I found out with my big maps) it will only get so large before the details become unreadable but all in all it works pretty well. Upload an image.. and it gives you a link which you can simply put in a post and the image comes up .. voila.. just like this.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:40 pm

and you use the green ones as produce?
The farms /hamlets I have created myself...if they are red they are abandoned/ruined

btw you missed some along the Creeks North
And the mountains goes a bit more west (easily visible on the Redstone map, but also on the wylon map)
:P

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:47 pm

yeah.. standard green clear hexes are general farmlands...

extra productive has its own hex. Not sure if we'll have that here.. but here is what it looks like on another map..

the very rich Vesubian valley... the detail stinks as to what exactly the hex is. However if you still ahve the link to my dropbox.. you'll see them up close and personal on my other maps ...

oh for right now I'm just transfering Wylon to my map.. and yeah.. I'm not even done with that yet hahah. This will take me some time. Still have rivers roads to do.... still plenty to go. It will take me some time, almost as long as doing it onesself as I always have to check my translation of yours to make sure mine is correct. Hate to get most of the way through and find I made a mistake.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:57 pm

I can't seem to get a sharp download even if I use the download button right below
But the variation on your maps was the reason for me to do the same in my legend...As thus I created Reedlands, Orchards, Hilly Orchards, Poor Vinyard, Good vinyard, all the variation s in flatland, just to call a few.
I created Summer and winter dikes, better volcanic or ice symbols, etc. etc...even volcanic salt areas.

Many could have created only due your work.
The only one I did not create was Forested Mountain...because at first you have tree line effects, secondly, if there are mountains having trees these are sparse due the rapid flowoff of water and nutrient, and thus could never create a forest. As thus deemed by me (as Ecology/biology/etc teacher) i ordained this symbol flawed and unusable.

Return to “Mystara”