another week... another Glantrian project ahhaha

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

micky
Cloud Giant

Re: another week... another Glantrian project ahhaha

Post by micky » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:24 am

you rock Robin... there is a rock song to be had there me thinks.

Touching some of the larger notions you've touched upon.

two newer issues here... one I immediately see your point. Width of the rivers. I was basing them on real life counterparts (the Vesubian on my beloved Columbia) but made a mistake in taking a 3 miles gorge width for the actual river. The average width is about a mile so I adjusted the maps and really dialed down the widths of the rivers. The feeder rivers, Isoile, Red, and Upper Vesubian I brought down to a likely more realistic width of a quarter to half mile. At Glantri City and Nyra though as they come together they will widen it. Between Glantri City and Nyra I have it about 3/4's of a mile and past Nyra just over a mile in length. It seems to (now haha) match real world norms, yet also fits the larger picture which is having a river that is a barrier to military movements (ie Thar's invasion)s

Uploaded the latest adjustment to the Lower Vesubian maps to the Dropbox.

With the mountains... I'll really have to think on what you have there with your map. And perhaps do some more real life extrapolation/research. That area between the Isoile and Red Rivers is a mountain range, the Glantrian Alps, thus has multiple mountains. It seems completely dominated by Mount DeGlace in yours. I believe some of the later canon detailing noted the average height of the mountains in that range is about 20k feet. I'll leave the mountains alone for now and think over it for a bit.

Beautiful map of De Glace and Hightower, just seeing that for the first time. I'll be adjusting my Lower Vesubian map to fit yours

Again back to the dominion borders. That is where our maps will differ. At least for now. If I was just starting I would have done it the way you have done it, however at this point it is probably best, if not for my own sanity, to remain consistent with the overall presentation. I don't suppose there are lines of red tape running through the hills marking just where borders begin and end and it would be just as unrealistic as my uniform borders to expect that every dominion has nice clean delineation points were one can say this is where my area starts and stops. Perhaps when I finish I might fiddle around with the individual borders, however what I have started doing is started using rivers more as those separation points. Not in every case but where they don't seem forced as of course it would look odd to have every river follow the same pattern I had established for the dominion boundries haha. It is too late for me at this stage to go to change, but wasn't too late to start working in some natural features into the borders as already established.
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:55 pm

My goodness can my wife's family cook.. made it through night 2 of 3 of the traditional family Christmas feast without my stomach exploding. The best part is we get another 3 night family feast around New Years. Lentils and Cotechino... ummm.. I could eat that for days...weeks.. months haha.

Anyhow.. uploading the current work on the Lower Vesubian map. Again, twiddled with river widths, made the Glantri City area more to specs, and started working in Robin's map to mine. I used the names you had on your map Robin, but likely will change most all of them. That area is a historically Thyatian area. Settled by them and still the majority population of the region. The village/town names should have a more distinct Thyatian flavor IMO.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9ta2j6mjk4qf ... zeona?dl=0

It is hard to translate your work to my maps Robin, as yours is better and capable of more detail than mine, but I think I did a fair to good job of it. I didn't quite get all the streams but I'll get those added later. Since this area is moving ahead quickly I'll likely translate the finished De Glace Free Province sections of the Lower Vesubian map to the RedArnus Map, do some work in the Silver Sierra FP between Caurenze and Blackhill, do Blackhill using Robins input but adjusting it for my nefarious purposes in a Post Thar/AC 1014 setting and then...

I take a good break from mapping for I need to complete a major unfinished project.. which is the detailed writeup of the Great War and Thar's invasion. I needed a working detailed map to do that, yet I need the finished writeup to in turn finish the map. And once I have the writeup done.. I can progress to the major unfinished project. The Almanac project specific for Glantri years AC 1000-1019. I have the political stuff done (a couple of pages back in this thread), it just needs to be dated and imputed, the Great War stuff needs to go in once I set all the dates for that, I had already added all the PWA entries, and later fandom Almanac entries (over 80 pages alone in the word document) with suitable modifications for some of the changes I am detailing. (altering the whole Fenswick Principality/Planet killing Meteor-Great Crater crap of course among other things).
He does not have a mandate. He does not have large congressional majorities. If a small minority in the Tea Party could stop President Obama, then we the majority can stop a petty tyrant named Trump

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:30 pm

good productive day today.. a mapless day today. I did a major clean up with a few small additions and alterations to the already written sections Grand Army-Great War 1004-1009 document, and also got a nice start on moving forward with slotting in events from 1000-1009 into the 1000-1019 Glantrian Almanac Project.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:55 pm

attention to detail.. .love it...

KALDMONT 8, AC 1013: AVALANCHE!!!!!

Description: A massive avalanche breaks loose from the Ghiacciaio del Calderone south of Mt. DeGlace. The flow of ice and snow spectacularly took it over the 3000’ high cliffs towering over the Arnus River. Eyewitnesses, including a few lucky on boats well away from the impacted section of the river, claim it to have been the most awe-inspiring thing they have ever seen.

marking this as a revision for the Glantrian Alps maps...

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:07 pm

been working on the nitty gritty, the real fun stuff. Programing everything from AC 1000-1009 into the Glantrian Almanac. Far more intensive than one might think. Not just translating the canon (WotI) stuff into date specific Almanac form, but all the fandom.. not just mine but read..all the years and years of GPD files which have been a real joy to go back through and read. Perhaps even more than the almanacs finding that website more than anything inspired me to really dive deep into Glantri, first in playing, then in my own attempts at doing fandom.

Anyhow.. all those individual histories which have events which belong on the dateline and there are events implied but never really explained that could be placed into the almanac and detailed (Hippolito getting fried by Henri in a duel for example) On top of that there are a lot of holes to be filled and that is the real fun.. such as the brush war between de Montebello and Vandehaar in their attempts to get an act of enfoeffment in Sablestone, and how Harald swooped in and did it.... the fleshing out of the revised d'Ambreville timeline with the beginning of the passing of the old generation and the beginning of the start of new generation.

Very labor intensive.. but hope any that are interested in it.. will find it of interest. :lol: If not.. oh well... it beats motorcycles, performance enhancing drugs, getting hair transplants and chasing younger women. Glantri is the crack cocaine of D&D.. it is vice.. and some are better than others ....

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:17 pm

i'll be back later
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:45 pm

Robin wrote:i'll be back later
:( don't be too long Robin. I miss ya already! It can get very lonely in this thread :lol:

Today I finished identifying all the canon and fandom tidbits to go into the Glantrian Almanac.. now its time to start writing them up.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:03 pm

micky wrote:
:( don't be too long Robin. I miss ya already! It can get very lonely in this thread :lol:

Today I finished identifying all the canon and fandom tidbits to go into the Glantrian Almanac.. now its time to start writing them up.
don't be afraid, even though I have my stupid moments :o ;( in my depression and utter lonlyness, I still have this. I'll return as soon as they release me. ..I hope...working on an old hospital PCis crap,
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:32 pm

Robin wrote:
micky wrote:

don't be afraid, even though I have my stupid moments :o ;( in my depression and utter lonlyness, I still have this. I'll return as soon as they release me. ..I hope...working on an old hospital PCis crap,
stupid moments? pffff... you are hangin' with the forum idiot here Robin.. I make everyone else look smart! That is why I am so beloved around the internet :lol:

No hurry Robin, I am waiting for your feedback/thoughts/input before moving forward but making good use of the time to do some writing as opposed to mapping.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:58 pm

@ Robin..... had a good laugh and figured you'd enjoy this. I was doing some internet research on some characters and google took me back to this great thread Blacky and NPCDave did detailing all the Mystara products.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?72 ... ad70872cd7

it seems I've found the reason why I really don't have a problem with the way I've drawn the individual dominion boundries. Long before I even got into D&D I was heavy into Avalon Hill games. Panzerblitz, France 1940. Tactics II. Squad Leader.. explains a lot

The straight borders in the northern parts of the map look very unrealistic. Probably an american thing, where lots of state borders were simply drawn with a ruler and stayed that way (same thing with large parts of Africa and the Arabian countries, though). In Europe, South America, and most of Asia, you will never find a single stretch of straight border long enough to be visible on a map. They always follow the terrain in some way. (Otherwise there would be no way to tell in what territory you are while on the ground.)
The rivers are only slightly better, still visible following a hex grid.

I recall an online discussion a long time ago about CM1 Test of the Warlords asking why King Ericall divvied out his land in 24 mile hexes. To paraphrase the best reply, before Ericall was a king, he was a wargamer.

awesome man... just awesome.. and so true I suppose. I suppose Robin I really should change those borders and make them less... wargamish :lol: :lol:

Greenbrier
Goblin

Post by Greenbrier » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:52 am

So glad to see all of this new Glantri activity and get the info on Mickey's new dominions! Hope that Robin will be back soon and wishing everyone all the best for 2017 -

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:37 pm

yeah... we are missing you Robin. Come back to us soon!!

Plugging away Greenbrier.. just finished one side project (GAG post WotI), almost done with a 2nd (d'Ambreville family history) and may have that posted today. Then it is likely back to finally finishing the writeups for the Averoignian dominions, old and new. I'd like to get that long overdue work done before going back to what will likely prove to me the longest and hardest side project, the detailing of the Great War and the accompanying dedicated Glantrian Almanac (1000-1020). Really neat to begin finally seeing daylight at the end of the tunnel for all this, which we started what? 8 years ago!!! :lol:

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:39 pm

got a real big update coming in the next few days. Finished the Noevelle Averoigne and Morlay-Malinboise writeups (some of my best I think, came out well I thought), the County of Touraine, Genevieve de Sephora's GPD writeup, and well into the Viscounty of Fausseflammes writeup. Also have written the main remaining part of the d'Amberville family tree work, which of course is the important part and is the details of their return, what Etienne has been up to, and how we got to Gaz3 AC 1000.

All sort of tie together and multiple cross references.. so won't post them till all are done so I can catch any inconsistencies or omissions.

Also did a good update of the Noevelle Averoigne map as I was doing all this...

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:37 am

Nouvelle Averoigne, Principality of
1014 AC

Area:
1,456 square miles

Population:
1000 AC - 28,990
1014 AC - 26,671

Towns/Large Villages: (population values are given for 1000 AC and 1014 AC)
Vyonnes (5200/7800):
Ximes (2500/2050):
Perigon (1200/1000):

Selected Villages: (population values are given for 1000 AC and 1014 AC)
Séguret (750/700): is a large village adjacent to the d’Ambreville estate.
Rouergue (500/450): is a village 16 miles west of Vyonnes famed throughout the world for its vineyards.
Albigeois (800/725): is a large farming village 8 miles southwest of Sylaire on the Isoile River.
Vignes (650/575): is a farming village 16 miles northwest of Perigon

Ethnic groups:
Averoignian 70%, Flaem 15%, Orkarians 13%, Other 2%

Languages:
Averoignian, Thyatin common

Ruler:
1000 AC
Prince Etienne d’Ambreville, Viscount of Sylaire, Grand Master of the Great School of Magic
Born 798, M36, AL-Lawful

1014 AC
Princess Isidore d’Ambreville, Viscount of Sylaire, Chamberlain of the Land 1012 - ,
Born 828, M14/WWO6, AL - Chaotic

House:
Sylaire
1000 AC – Voting Power 25 at the Council, 45 at the Parliament
Allies: Dame Genevieve de Sephora, Countess of Touraine; Dame Diane de Moriamis, Viscountess of Malinbois; Sire Gilles Grenier, Viscount of Fausseflammes; Sire Malachie du Marais, Baron of Morlay

1014 AC – Voting Power 19 at the Council, 38 at the Parliament
Allies: Dame Genevieve de Sephora, Countess of Touraine; Sire Michel Leconte, Viscount of Amboise; Sire Adik de Chevas, Baron of Sherlin, Dame Circe DeVille, Baroness of Leadyl

Family:
Dame Catherine: born 812, M13, AL - Chaotic
Sire Charles: born 801, M9, AL - Chaotic
Dame Magdalene: born 825, F8, AL - Chaotic
Sire Andre-David: born 835, F9, AL - Chaotic

Military:
Princess Isidore (and Prince Etienne before her) maintains an independent force of 150 F1 (leather, sword, riding horse), the Gendarmerie Averoigne, which polices the Principality and enforces the laws and whims of the ruling Prince/Princess of Nouvelle Averoigne. Sylaire also has a personal guard force of 40 F5 which guard the tower of Sylaire and the Princess of Noevelle Averoigne.

Vyonnes is the current home base of the 12th Glantrian Infantry division under command of Prince Malachie. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd banners of the division are based in Vyonnes and assist the Gendarmerie in patrolling Noevelle Averoigne as well as patrolling the area around the principality. The banners also regularly train with the local militia. Vyonnes is the assembly point for four reserve divisions; the 48th drawn from the Moulins Free Province and western Noevelle Averoigne, and 49th drawn from Noevelle Averoigne and Morlay-Malinbois, the 47th from Morlay-Malinbois, and the 50th Division from the Isoile Free Province. Vyonnes is home to a large depot, guarded by the 12th Division, with arms and supplies for the 4 reserve divisions in the event they were mobilized by the Glantrian High Command.

Trails:
In the last ten years caravan travel has increased substantially into and out of Noevelle Averoigne as the new western baronies, as well as the new principalities of Sablestone and Morlay-Malinbois have made travel and trade much more profitable in the far west of Glantri. Accordingly trade with Sind has increased 75% and trade with Wendar up 500% from AC 1000 levels. The main trail through Noevelle Averoigne itself is the Sablestone -Glantri City road. It is one of the most heavily traveled in all of Glantri. Rated ‘good’ by Glantrian AAA, there has recently been talk at the Capital of paving it between Glantri City and Vyonnes. So far all attempts to fund the paving have failed at the Council of Princes. Noevelle Averoigne also has numerous smaller poor trails connecting the numerous villages and towns of the principality as well as with those in the bordering free provinces of Moulins and Isoile.

The Isoile River is also navigable to large ship traffic from Glantri City to Vyonnes. River boat traffic can be handled on the Isoile River between Vyonnes and Moulins and on the Loir River between Vyonnes and Malinbois in the Principality of Morlay-Malinbois. The Tarn River is also navigable for river boats between Perigon and the Isoile River.

Food:
Surplus food, exported throughout Glantri

Economics:
Noevelle Averoigne produces a substantial food surplus thanks to a large population, large amount of farming lands, and a good climate. Its many vineyards produce wines and spirits famous and in high demand not just in Glantri but throughout the region. Noevelle Averoigne is also a leading producer of meat and animal furs due to its large game population. Some of the most famed hunters are to be found in and around Noevelle Averoigne.

Nouvelle Averoigne Monthly Financial Ledger (figures from 1000 AC)

Main resources: 1 vegetable (food), 2 animal (furs and meat)
6 hexes: clear, river; rural; pop. 10,080; tax 1008 dc
2 hexes: clear; rural; pop. 2240; tax 224 dc
1 hex: clear, river; suburban; pop. 1680; tax 504 dc
11 hexes: hill, river; rural; pop. 4620; tax 462 dc
4 hexes: hill; rural; pop. 1120; tax 112 dc
1 hex: forested hills, river; borderland; pop. 210; tax 10.5 dc
1 hex: forested hills; borderland; pop. 140; tax 7 dc
Vyonnes: large town; pop. 5200; tax 2080 dc Ximes: small town; pop. 2500; tax 750 dc Perigon: small town; pop. 1200; tax 360 dc

Total population: 5200 large towns, 5380 small towns/suburban, 18,060 villages/rural, 350 borderland

Tax Income: 5517.5 dc
Resource Income: 27,587.5 dc
Standard Income: 29,334 dc
Council Tax: 12,487.8 dc
Net Cash: 20,617.2 dc
Overhead (65%): 13,401.2 dc
Available Cash: 7216 dc

With 397,260 XP/year, in 10 years (1000-1009) Etienne d'Ambreville could have gained up to 3,972,600 XP. In 3 years (1011-1014) Isidore d’Ambreville could gain up to 1,191,780 XP, rising from M11 to M19 on dominion XP alone (but by the rules M14 as she can gain no more than 1 level per year with just dominion XP).

Alternate: With 66210 XP/year in 10 years Etienne could have gained 662,100 XP. In 3 years, 1011-1014, Isidore d’Ambreville could gain 198,630 rising from M11 to M12.

History:
Princes of Noevelle Averoigne:
Etienne d’Ambreville 875-881 b.798 d.1010
Grand Master of the School 875-881

Henri d’Ambreville 881 b.816 d.1011

Pierre d’Ambreville 881-927 b.848 d.927
Grand Master of the School 881-896

Rebeque d’Ambreville 927-984 b.902 d.990

Etienne d’Ambreville 984-1010 b.798 d.1010
Grand Master of the School 985-1010

Isidore d’Ambreville 1010 b.828 d.

Henri d’Ambreville 1010-1011 b.816 d.1011

Isidore d’Ambreville 1011- b.828
Chamberlain of the Land 1012 -

The area of present day Noevelle Averoigne was sparsely settled by the Flaem during their first centuries of living in the Highlands and was considered a formal part of the Kingdom of the Highlands. Not until the invasion of the Overlord in 512 did the region see significant settlement. After the defeat of the Overlord most of the Outerworlders under his control were returned to their home worlds, however several groups were not able to return. The Okarians, a blue skinned human like asexual race was one of them. Most Okarians decided to remain in the Highlands and settled the region of present day Noevelle Averoigne. Left to their own devices by the Flaemish the Okarians cultivated the land and led a peaceful agrarian life as farmers of the rich and bountiful lands, selling their surpluses to the Flaemish to the east at Braejr. The Orkarians established their main settlement, Uddesie, at the confluence of the Areste and Chanal Rivers which served as their center of economic and social life.

The Okarians continued their peaceful and undisturbed lives for over 200 years until the region was flooded by nearly a thousand ‘Otherworlders’ who suddenly appeared right In the midst of their lands. The new arrivals were the Averoignians of Count Edoard d’Ambreville that had opened a gate from their world of Laterre and came through it to the Highlands. Quickly overcoming language difficulties through d’Ambreville magic permission was sought of the Okarians to settle among them. The Orkarian chieftain, seeing little choice, warmly received the Averoignians and gave them permission to settle in the Orkarian lands. The Averoignians at first established new settlements of their own close to the still functioning gate, but as that first year progressed more and more Averoignians continued to arrive and they began to expand outward and settle alongside the Okarians.

Soon after arrival Edoard received an envoy of the King of the Flaem who welcomed the Averoignians and invited Count Edoard to Braejr to meet with the King of the Flaem. Edoard and the King of the Flaem immediately hit it off personally and since the Flaem saw no threat in the Averoignians they were officially welcomed to the Highlands and given permission to establish their own dominion. Edoard returned to his people and spent the next year exploring the surrounding area, leading trips back into Old Averoigne on Laterre to bring back still more followers and settlers, and overseeing the settling of his people in this new land. Edoard also made use of the time to learn about the Okarians and their chieftain, an Orkarian named Grraahi. Edoard quickly learned of the prior history of the Orkarians and their special nature as long lived and asexual yet pacifistic race. In 729 Edoard invited Grraahi to special meeting where he asked his opinions on whether the Orkarian would accept Edoard as their King. Grraahi told Edoard that the Orkarian had but one thing that was important to them, to live in peace and never be a party to work or violence again. If Edoard could guarantee that and the safety of the Orkarian, Grraahi told him, he was quite sure that the Orkarians would accept him as their King. Edoard shook Grraahi’s hand and told him that was a pledge his would swear on his own life. Soon after Count Edoard declared himself King of Noevelle Averoigne and made Grraahi a Grand Duke answerable only to the King himself.

The gate that brought the Averoignians to the Highlands continued to function for nearly 25 years after the first Averoignians arrived and by the time it closed it was estimated that nearly 20,000 Averoignians moved from Averoigne on Laterre to Noevelle Averoigne on Mystara. Soon the populations of the Averoignian matched, and then overtook those of the longer lived but slow to reproduce, Orkarian. King Edoard’s new palatial mansion, Châteaux d’Ambreville, was completed in 734 and became the seat of power in the new kingdom. In AC 743 a second wave of Averoignian settlers arrived. Unlike the first wave which consisted of the d’Ambreville family and many of their followers, this much larger 2nd wave consisted of Averoignians who were previously unassociated directly with the d’Ambreville family. While most of the 2nd wave settled lower in the lower Areste River valley closer to Braejr, and founded the town of Les Hiboux. The village of Ximes was founded by Averoignian settlers in 750. The Areste River was renamed to the Isoile River with permission of the King of the Flame in 752 along with the Chanal River which was renamed the Loir River. Finally in 752 the original gate between Laterre and Mystara collapsed. The loss of the gate was blamed on the Klantrians, who were using it to also escape from a different region of Laterre to the Highlands. The loss of the gate, which the Averoignians blamed upon the Klantrians, is still held again them to this day.

The region the Averoignians settled an area that was blessed with rich soil, warm, dry summers and with mild winters. The Orkarians had learned over the past two centuries which crops grew best and shared that knowledge and expertise with the Averoignians who had come from a more forested and livestock driven land. Over the first decades in their new home the Averoignians learned how to cultivate the many grapes, vegetables, and fruits. As they did they began working those ingredients, along with their own traditional ingredients, into their native cooking and before long Averoignian cuisine and wines became famous throughout the Highlands. Chefs from Noevelle Averoigne, Orkarian in particular, also became famous and highly in demand throughout the Highlands.

In 767 King Edoard passed away in his sleep and after a day of mourning throughout Noevelle Averoigne his eldest son Michel became the next King of Noevelle Averoigne. Michel was a keen and observant student of the way his father ruled his Kingdom and continued his father’s policies toward the Orkarian and continued to show great honor to Grand Duke Grraahi and relied heavily in his council. Not long after becoming King, Michel’s leadership was tested as the northwestern Noevelle Averoigne was struck by a strong humanoid attack in 775. Drawing upon his Averoignian forces King Michel took the field and pushed the humanoids back into the mountains. On the 50thanniversary of the arrival of the Averoignians, in 779, the main Orkarian settlement of Uddesie, now almost 70% Averoignian, was renamed Vyonnes in honor of Averoigne’s main city back on Laterre. The anniversary was marked by a week of celebration by both Averoignian and Orkarian and was topped off by a state visit by the Flaemish king who took the opportunity to explore Vyonnes now famous theater district where he took in two shows. Michel was to be tested as a King as war soon broke out in the Highland river valleys to the east where simmering tensions between the Flaem and other arriving groups of settlers finally exploded into war in 784.

Both sides, Flaem and Settler both called upon King Michel and asked him to join the conflict on their respective sides. Michel was advised by his brother Matthieu, his ambassador to the Highlands, to join the side of the settlers, as a mage Matthieu had studied with the Flaem and was well aware of their disparaging views on other races. However Grand Duke Grraahi recommended staying neutral and out of the war. He reminded King Michel that the Flaem had always been friendly to him and his father as well as welcoming of not just the Averoignian but the Orkarian before them. Michel decided to stay neutral which infuriated his brother who left Noevelle Averoigne and joined as a volunteer the forces of the Settlers. The Settlers defeated the Flaem four years later at the Battle of Braastar and the new Republic of the Highlands is established. Noevelle Averoigne is invited to join the new Republic but again King Michel refuses, against the advice of his brother who leaves the Highlands in a rage for Traladara and never returns.

King Michel’s decision proved to be a wise one for Noevelle Averoigne as the ruling Council of the new Republic was almost immediately kidnapped by the leader of the Alphatian faction and the Republic was dissolved and the Highlands declared an Alphatian Protectorate and a new civil war, one that would last 40 years, gripped the Highlands. King Michel continued to refuse entreaties from both sides to join the fighting and since neither side wished to push Noevelle Averoigne into the camp of the other, both sides respected Noevelle Averoigne’s neutrality and his kingdom became enriched by supplying both armies with food and provision for gold. The war drew on for years and as his kingdom grew richer and more powerful, King Michel grew older and in 826 King Michel died of a sudden heart attack.

After a bitter succession battle among Michel’s sons, his 2nd son Etienne emerged as the new King of New Averoigne. Not two years later the 40 Year War ended with the defeat of the Alphatians and their allies. Etienne again refused offers to have Noevelle Averoigne become a part of the Republic of Glantri. However as the years passed King Etienne saw the benefits to joining Noevelle Averoigne to the new nation and after some intense negotiation Noevelle Averoigne became a Viscounty of the Republic of Glantri and Etienne its Viscount. As part of the deal Etienne arranged with the ruling Council a new dominion was created out of the southern lands of the old Kingdom of Noevelle Averoigne. The Viscounty of Fausseflammes was created and Etienne was permitted to choose its new Viscount. Etienne chose one of his own students to be the new Viscount of Fausseflammes. Bttrie the young son of Grraahi, the long time family advisor and Grand Duke of the Kingdom of Noevelle Averoigne, became the new Viscount of Fausseflammes.

After construction of the Great School of Magic was completed in 875 Viscount Etienne was rewarded by the Council of Princes for his service to the new magocracy and Noevelle Averoigne was enfoeffed and made the 8th principality of Glantri and Etienne its prince. The borders of the new Principality of Noevelle Averoigne were established as the lands between the Loire, Isoile and Tarn Rivers. The area of the new Principality was roughly about a third of the old Kingdom but was much larger than the old Viscounty. The largely Averoignian/Orkarian populated outlying areas, the Isoile and Moulins Free Provinces were controlled indirectly by Prince Etienne as well since he was able to force out the previous Propraetors and have choices of his own, loyal to him, promoted to administer the provinces. A new Viscounty, Fausseflammes, was also established to the southwest of Noevelle Averoigne and an Orkarian mage became its first Viscount. Many Orkarians moved from Averoigne to be a part of the first Okarian dominion in Glantri.

Several years later, in 881, Noevelle Averoigne was the place of perhaps the weirdest and mind boggling series of events in the whole of the history of the Highlands. Noevelle Averoigne, along with the rest of Glantri, was shocked to hear that Prince Etienne was dead, killed by his brother in self defense. Prince Henri was soon after confirmed as the new Prince of Noevelle Averoigne. However his reign as Princes lasted all of two days before the entire Châteaux d’Ambreville disappeared the night of his private coronation celebration and the site of the Châteaux surrounded by a grey mist that killed any that ventured into it. After a couple of days Etienne and Henri’s cousin Pierre d’Ambreville was confirmed as the 3rd Prince of Noevelle Averoigne.

The Grey Mist proved to be quite an attraction for Noevelle Averoigne, drawing the curious and incredulous to come to Noevelle Averoigne to see it for themselves which proved quite a nice tourism boost for the principality. Many fools tried to test the Great Mist to try to reach inside and either died or were pulled out, horribly sickened, just in the nick of time by friends. The site of the former Châteaux d’Ambreville grew to such freak show proportions that even though it brought in loads of gold the residents of the area petitioned Prince Pierre to do something about this for it was disturbing the peace of the normally tranquil Averoignian countryside. Prince Pierre soon had guards posted with ordered to arrest anyone who got within 50m of the mist. After some six months the novelty wore off and life returned to normal for the people of Noevelle Averoigne.

Pierre himself had no interest in ruling Noevelle Averoigne so he called upon the elderly but still mentally sharp Grraahi to administer Noevelle Averoigne while Prince Pierre attended to his duties in Glantri City. Grraahi accepted and administered Noevelle Averoigne for the Prince, keeping the principality running smoothly until Grraahi passed away in 902 at the ripe old age (for an Orkarian) of 350. He was replaced by a handpicked choice, an Orkarian named Esteeqi, who continued to run Noevelle Averoigne for Prince Pierre who ruled himself until 927 when he passed away. Prince Pierre was succeeded by his 25 yr old daughter Rebeque d’Ambreville.

An elderly Rebeque was still Princess of Noevelle Averoigne when insanity returned upon Noevelle Averoigne in 984 when suddenly the Grey Mist disappeared revealing a pile of stone and a large group of people emerging from the ruins of Châteaux d’Ambreville. Some were adventurers who had lifted the Grey Mist, but more importantly and unbelievably, others were the long missing and presumed dead members of the d’Ambreville family who had disappeared 103 years earlier. Immediately before anyone could mob them or ask questions the Count of Touraine himself, Count Thierry Tulasne, swept in and teleported the group away. It was thought to his tower to kelp them reacclimatize and save them having to face people or undue questions about what had happened. In the days that followed a whole new wave of Averoignian immigrants from Laterre entered Noevelle Averoigne through some sort of dimensional portal.

However the strangest part was yet to come, as the Council waited the answering of their summons for the d’Ambrevilles and the adventurers to appear before them they received a visit, but not from anyone they might have expected nor would have summoned. For most all had only heard only stories about him. Though none had met him, all knew him immediately upon his entering the Council chamber. His portraits were all over the Great School of Magic. It was none other than he former Prince of Noevelle Averoigne, founder of the Great School of Magic, and thought to be dead for 103 years, Etienne d’Ambreville himself. After a series of sessions at the Council of Princes Rebeque d’Ambreville steps down and Etienne is reconfirmed as Prince of Noevelle Averoigne. The children of Rebeque privately and vehemently protest her decision to step down and end up leaving Glantri as Etienne and all of his family reemerged into Glantrian politics and society.

Over the next two years the ruins of Châteaux d’Ambreville were cleared and a new residence was constructed for the d’Ambreville family. The new residence for the family was the tower Sylaire which was carried stone by stone through the portal from old Averoigne to Noevelle Averoigne and was gifted to the d’Ambreville family. The gift came from Genevieve de Sephora, a powerful wizard in Old Averoigne who was one of the many who used the portal to come to Noevelle Averoigne from old Averoigne on Laterre. The gate remained open for over 5 years before finally closing, in the years it remained open nearly ten thousand more Averoignians came to Mystara and settled in the lands around Noevelle Averoigne, in particular many settled the sparsely inhabited heavily wooded foothills of the Black Mountains north of Noevelle Averoigne known as the Valley of the Wolves.

Outside of a large outbreak of wolf lycanthropy in the woods and hills in and around Noevelle Averoigne that coincided with the arrival of the second wave of Averoignian settlers Noevelle Averoigne settled into a period of relative quiet and prosperity which lasted for the next 20 years until relations between Glantri and Alphatia went sour very quickly in 1004 and was culminated by a group of Glantrians accidently destroying most Alphatia’s skyship navy and triggering an immense firestorm that killed half the population in one of Alphatia’s largest cities. Soon after, in 1005, Alphatia declared war on Glantri. Given time to prepare thanks to Glantri’s allies, Heldann and Thyatis, the Council of Princes decided to call for a partial mobilization and expanded the Grand Army of Glantri from 8 to 62 divisions. Of the 62 divisions four were mobilized with recruits from Noevelle Averoigne; the 46th (Vyonnes) Division, the 48th (Ximes) Division, the 50th (Perigon) Division, and the 55th (d’Ambreville) Division. The 46th and 55th Divisions were assembled and assigned to the 6th Army under General Erik von Kluge and stationed at Fort Nordling. The 48th and 50th Divisions were assigned to the 8th Army under Prince Brannart and stationed at Fort Sablestone.

While the armies of Alphatia were heavily engaged with the Thyatians in the first years of the war on the Isle of Dawn, the Alphatians still brought the war to Noevelle Averoigne by having squads of wizards summon monsters and set them loose to terrorize Glantri. In defense Glantri deployed Hunter-Killer (H-K) units, usually made of teams of adventurers, to track down and destroy the monsters and the Alphatian agents behind them. Noevelle Averoigne though plagued by monsters was fairly well guarded by several H-K units which did much to protect its population from the worst of attacks. One of the most famed units was led by a wizard who later would become one of Glantri’s most famed war-heroes, native of Vyonnes, Michel Leconte. In 1007 Thar invaded Glantri and while Noevelle Averoigne was not directly affected by Thar it did feel the impact as all four of the Noevelle Averoigne divisions saw heavy action against Thar. The Great Plague of 1008 killed upwards of 15% of Noevelle Averoigne’s population before the plague, with some help from clerics, finally ran its course.

The end of the Great War brought a change in rulership to Noevelle Averoigne as Prince Etienne was declared missing in early 1010 not having been seen prior to the attack of the 1000 wizards of Alphatia on Glantri. What followed was a year long struggle between Henri and Isidore d’Ambreville to succeed Etienne. In 1011 Isidore defeated Henri in a duel and become the new Princess of Noevelle Averoigne.
In the years since Isidore become Princess Noevelle Averoigne has moved past the scars of the Great War, and the plague. While the population is still down from pre-war totals it has started to grow again and the land itself remains as rich and bountiful as it always has been and Noevelle Averoigne remains one of the wealthy and most productive of all the principalities.

Cultural Curiosities:
FOOD
The Piazza Food Network is pleased to welcome back after a long vacation our beloved by readers and feared by chefs, food critic. You might remember his award winning culinary reviews for Glantri’s BETTER TOWERS AND GARDENS magazine: Micky the Mage.. So without further adieu… HERES….MICKY!!

Thanks Ed! You do need to lose that suit though man. Hey folks! Micky here reporting from Vyonnes; a lively town with many first class eating establishments. Averoignian cuisine boasts hearty, tasty and varied food, as well as local gourmet products from the soil. With its traditional Potee Averoignate and the well-known Averoigne Blue cheese, the typical gastronomy of this region of Glantri can satisfy both meat and cheese lovers!

Every time I come to Vyonnes I always go to my favorite Vyonnes restaurant, La Bergerie, located at 24 rue de la Tour d'Averoigne. I took advantage of the beautiful weather and managed to secure a table on the roof overlooking the scenic Isoile River. I ordered my favorite bottle of Averoignian wine, a bottle of pre-war red Chanturgue. I started with a personal favorite of mine, Soupe aux Choux au Cantal a combination of cabbage and the superb Averoignian Cantal cheese. Next I proceeded to order the Melon Fraîcheur et son Jambon d’Averoigne. A wonderfully tasty dish with chilled mellon and cured Averoignian ham. HEAVENLY! For my main course I ordered Truite Sauvage, a freshly caught trout from the Isoile grilled over a wood food and served with carrots. What good Averoignian meal at La Bergerie is complete without having their signature desert, Tarte de les Perles Noires et Perles Rouge de l’Averoigne. The ‘pearls’ of this delicious tart are the blackberries and raspberries picked fresh from the hills and mountain slopes of southwestern Averoigne. I left my table at the end of a wonderful dining experience completely satisfied with the extremely high quality of the service and the food, but also significantly lighter, to the total of 20 ducats in the coin purse. (However excluding the 15 ducat bottle of wine and a 3 ducat tip to Bernard, the actual meal was a much more reasonable 2 ducats). However take it from me, it was worth every ounce of the Piazza’s gold it them once they got my expense report.

ARTS AND LITERATURE
Other than for its food and wine Noevelle Averoigne is probably most famous in Glantri for the quality and passion of its people for the theater. Every child in Averoigne, who isn’t dreaming of being a powerful wizard, or playing striker for AC Vyonnes, dreams of being a talented famous stage actor. Next to Bergdhoven Noevelle Averoigne boasts the highest literacy rate in all Glantri. Nearly all Averoignians are well versed in the literary classics, as well as most contemporary works, and are madly passionate and enthusiastic audiences for stage presentations of the literary works of Glantri. Vyonnes’ entertainment quarter is home to the largest number of theaters in all Glantri, even more than Glantri City itself.

ARCHITECTURE
Perhaps due to their outerworldly origins the architecture of the Averoignian lands is distinctly different from other areas of Glantri, even of anything found in Klantyre. Averoignian architecture is distinguished primarily by richly sculpted surfaces used to achieve three-dimensional sculpted classicism. While the surface of a typical Glantrian building is typically neatly divided into sections (in accordance with classical clarity and order), an Averoignian surface is treated as a continuous whole. For example facade in the Glantrian architectural style often consists of many similar sections, such that one's eye is not drawn to any particular part of the building. A façade in the Averoignian style, on the other hand, often features an attention-grabbing concentration of rich elements (e.g. curved walls, columns, blind arches, statues, relief sculpture) around a central entrance. Some examples of Averoignian architecture are the old Chateux d’Ambreville, which though long gone, lives today still through many paintings and other artwork. A current example is the stunning mansion of the Viscount of Amboise, on the Loir River opposite Noevelle Averoigne.

SOCIAL CUSTOMS
The Averoignians have developed quite a well earned reputation with other Glantrians for seeing themselves as superior to most of the other ethnicities of Glantri. Only the Flaem, who rival the Averoignians in literary, culture, and predisposition to magic are seen as equals socially. The long lived Okarians that still live in Noevelle Averoigne tend to keep to themselves but the friendly relationship cultivated early with the Averoignians continues to this day. Morlay-Malinbois has several holidays and festivals that exemplify some of these traits found here as well as their Averoignian heritage.

Nouvel An: (1 Nuwmont) First day of the year celebrated with feasts and dances throughout Noevelle Averoigne.
Fête des Fleurs: (5 Thaumont) An annual celebration of Spring. Larger villages host flower parades, horse races, and livestock markets. Everyone dresses in their most colorful clothes and adorn themselves with flower wreaths.
Fête des Feux: (18 Yarthmont) A celebration of late spring, in which villages light tremendous bonfires to burn throughout the night.
Vyonnese Carnival: (15 Fyrmont) The national holiday of the Averoignian people.
Fête des Vignes: (28 Ambyrmont) An annual of the year’s grape harvest. Wine tasting contests are held all throughout the Principality and wine merchants from all over Glantri attend and make their selections.

Notable sites:
Vyonnes
Ruler: Constable of Vyonnes Joséphine de Beauharnais (born 961, F17, AL- L) Joséphine was appointed to be Constable of Vyonnes in 1006 replacing Gaston d’Ambreville who was slain by an Iron Gargoyle in the streets of Vyonnes during the Great War. Joséphine was a noted adventurer in her youth and was thought to be a favorite of the Prince Etienne which have something to do with the rumors that she was somehow involved with the return of the Prince and his family in 984.

The town of Vyonnes is much different today than it was in 1000 AC. Due to the opening of the western frontier, the creation of Sablestone and the other new western dominions as well as the resulting expanded trade with both Sind and Wendar, the town has experienced rapid growth and is expected to reach city status in the next decade. Vyonnes has become a major economic, logistical, and military center of western Glantri. Even in the midst of the population loss in Noevelle Averoigne due to the war and the plague its population has increased by 50% in the last decade.

Théâtre de Guénégaud is perhaps the most famed theater in all Glantri and is only rivaled by the Metropolitan in Glantri City. Constructed in 832 it is the center of the entertainment quarter of Vyonnes which was built around it. The greatest of Averoignian actors can often be seen performing here as well. The theater is subsided by the d’Ambreville family and entrance is free to citizens of Noevelle Averoigne.

Beaux Arts de Vyonnes is a university famed throughout the world for its renowned faculty. Here students can learn from the masters of art, both visual and performance. Much like the Théâtre de Guénégaud the university is completely subsidized by the d’Ambreville family but the Grandmaster only selects the most talented of students, less than 4% of the annual applicants to the school are selected to study here at the d’Ambreville family’s expense.

La Place Beauvau is the central square of old Vyonnes and today is the center of the new Business Quarter. It is a bustling area where local farmers bring their goods, and caravans passing both east and west through Vyonnes stop selling their goods and purchasing Averoignian goods to take west and east. Place Beauvau is dominated by a 50 foot statue of Edoard d’Ambreville carved from a single block of solid amber.

Ximes
Ruler: Constable François Cortot (born 971, M9) François recently retired from the Glantrian Government after serving as a mid level bureaucrat in the Isoile Free Province. Upon retiring he moved to Ximes and after the mysterious death of the former Constable of Ximes in 1011 (reported to have been at the hands of a dragon) he applied to Princess Isidore to take over administration of the town. He is a fair administrator and strives to keep the sleepy peaceful town just that.

Ximes is a small town on the Tarn River just upriver from where it meets the Isoile River. Ximes is renowned for its sour cherry orchards which are used in Ximes famed maraschino liqueur. The town is a commercial center of southern Noevelle Averoigne and has a good sized port area where river boat traffic to and from Glantri City can dock. The stone Pont de Edoard spans the Tarn River and helps connect Ximes and the southern half of Noevelle Averoigne with Touraine and Glantri City via the Pont des Artes over the Isoile River. The bridge is decorated with busts of all the d’Ambreville heads of family since their days back on Laterre. The most recent addition was a bust of Princess Isidore which was finished just last year by the famed Averoignian sculptor. The town itself has a bustling market quarter as well as an entertainment quarter that while not as grand as Vyonnes is still quite lively and with a number of theaters to see music and stage productions.

Perigon
Ruler: Constable Jean-Christophe Gaumont (born 967, F6) Jean-Christophe is an ex-adventurer who served in the Gendarmerie Averoigne as well as with the 50th Division in the Great War. After the end of the Great War Gaumont decided to settle down in Perigon and married a local woman and started a family. He took a job as blacksmith but when the position of Constable came upon in 1013 upon the retirement of the old one he applied for the position and was selected. Jean-Christophe is a no nonsense constable and strictly applies and enforces the laws of Noevelle Averoigne. Gaumont has no love however for Kaelics and any obvious Kaelic visistors to Perigon are apt to having the constable breathing down their necks and tossed into the town jail for the slightest infractions of the law.

Perigon sits upon a large group of hills overlooking the Tarn River. The town is the furthest upriver that river boats can travel up the Tarn River so the town sees a great deal of activity from local farmers and especially loggers and miners from Fausseflammes to the west. The village is home to the famous Perigon brewery which produces a famed sparkling wine which is traditionally drank throughout Noevelle Averoigne on Nouvel An. The hills surrounding Perigon are home to the famed vineyards of Perigon whose grapes are used for the sparkling wine of Perigon. Also the hills are home to a large cherry orchard which produces Morello cherries which are used in many Averoignian recipes.

Séguret
Séguret was the first settlement of the Averoignians when they arrived on Mystara. It serves the needs of the large family estate of the d’Ambrevilles and hosts the occasional treasure hunters that still come to sift through the ruins of Châteaux d’Ambreville in hopes of finding some overlooked magical treasure. The new estate of the d’Ambreville family, Sylaire, lies just to the north of the village. The center tower of the estate is said to have been the tower of the Countess of Touraine in Old Averoigne and was carried over stone by stone and reconstructed over a period of two years. In the following years a large châteaux was built encompassing the tower and was modeled on the original Châteaux d’Ambreville. The village of Séguret also serves the miners who continue to explore the Forêt de Ambre for lodes of amber which occasional are still found today.

Coat of Arms:

Useful links:
Night Crawlers by Ann Dupruis
Glantrian Political History 828-884 - Harri Mäki and Giovanni Porpora
The Economy of Sylaire by Aleksei Andrievski
The d’Ambreville family tree, The Grand Army of Glantri 1000-1014 by Michael Berry

Angelika Tatsu
Goblin Girl

Post by Angelika Tatsu » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:40 am

Good stuff. Love it! ♥
In affectus veritá.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:53 am

Morlay-Malinbois, Principality of
1014 AC

Area:
1,344 square miles

Population:
Morlay (1000 AC): 984 (15% lycanthrope)
Malinbois (1000 AC): 1890 (50% lycanthrope)
Morlay-Malinbois (1014 AC): 5774 (35% lycanthrope)

Towns/Large Villages: (population values are given for 1000 AC and 1014 AC)
Loupmont: 200/1050(60% lycanthrope)
Malinbois: 910/1125(25% lycanthrope)

Selected Villages: (population values are given for 1000 AC and 1014 AC)
Beaufort (150/250): is a village and fort guarding the north end of the Valley of Wolves.
Chauffeur (200/250): is a farming village approximately 14 miles southwest of Loupmont.
Vignes (150/250): is located 6 miles south of Loupmont and is famous for its excellent wineries.
Fort Defi (175/200): is a small farming village in the foothills of the Black Mountains.

Ethnic groups:
Morlay (1000 AC): Averoignian 75%, Hattian 13%, Flaem 5%, Orkarian 2%, Other 5%
Malinbois (1000 AC): Averoignian 80%, Orkarian 10%, Flaem 7%, Other 3%
Morlay-Malinbois (1014 AC): Averoignian 70%, Hattian 10%, Flaem 6%, Orkarian 4%, Other 10%

Languages:
Averoignian, Thyatian common

Ruler:
Prince Field Marshal Malachie du Marais, Baron of Morlay, Commander of 39th Glantrian Division 1005-1008, Commander of 6th Army 1008-1009, Commander of Army Group Southwest 1009-1010, Commander of Glantrian 4th Army Corp and Commander of the Glantrian 12th and 15th divisions 1010-
Born 956, M14/WWO11, Alchemist of the 3rd Circle, AL-Chaotic

House:
Morlay (1000 AC): Sylaire
Malinbois (1000 AC): Sylaire
Morlay-Malinbois (1014 AC): Morlay

1014 AC – Voting Power 15 at the Council, 20 at the Parliament
Allies: Lord Niccolo Galateo (M24/WT6), Viscount of Fausseflammes

Family:
Sire Noussoir (brother): born AC 991, T7, AL - Chaotic
Dame Suzanne (sister): born AC 986, F5, AL - Neutral
Dame Diane (wife): born AC 944, M11, AL - Neutral

Military:
Prince Malachie holds the rank of Field Marshal in the Glantrian Army and commands two Glantrian army divisions; the 12th and 15th divisions. He also has the command of the 4th Army Corp when activated in times of emergency which includes his two divisions and the 2 divisions of Princess Carlotina. In times of war as befits his rank, experience and proven abilities shown during the Great War Malachie would likely hold an Army Group command. Prince Malachie is considered to be one of the possible successors to Prince Jaggar as Warden of the Marches.

Prince Malachie has the 2nd Banner of his 12th Division stationed in Loupmont. The Banner patrols Morlay-Malinbois and the surrounding areas in order to maintain law and order. The other three Banner of the 12th Division are based in Vyonnes and patrol Noevelle Averoigne and the surrounding area. His 15th Division is home based at Les Hiboux and patrols the area between Glantri City and Noevelle Averoigne. Malachie also maintains an elite bodyguard of 25 men (F7) at Morlay who are the Personal Guard of the Prince. They are called La Garde d’Obsidienne.

Since it is well known that Morlay-Malinbois have a significant were-population it should be noted, even though they are legal citizens there and in the free-territories of Glantri, Malachie has not actively recruited any of the were-population into his divisions or organized them into formal units. That is not to say that there might not be were-creatures in the divisions. The Militia of Morlay-Malinbois is however is managed and led by those in la Confrérie des Loups, the Brotherhood of Wolves. In times of a military emergency and mobilization the militia of Morlay-Malinbois (nearly 80% lycanthropic) would form the basis of the 47th (Res) Glantrian Division. The militia meets for 2 days every month (around the full moon) and trains for two weeks during the summer every year.

Trails:
For most of its years of being settled the two rivers running through the Valley of the Wolves; the Loir down the west side of the valley, and the Luneau running down the east side, provided for the transportation needs of the few settlers in the valley. The rivers also provided easy transport for the loggers and trappers of the great wooded hills. The Loir River is navigable to river boats between Vyonnes and Malinbois. The Luneua River is navigable to river boat between Villeneuve and Cherburg in the Viscounty of Amboise where it meets the Loir River.

Prince Malachie and the Council of the Princes after the Great War saw the need to improve transportation infrastructure within and especially through the Principality to the western frontier in the borderlands below the Adri Varna in the northwest of Glantri. Started in AC 1011, and completed two years later, the Great Northwestern trail runs adjacent to the Luneau River connecting the villages of Verdun in the Isoile Free Province to the village of Villeneuve. From there it continues north up the valley, passing through Lundegarde until it reaches Loupmont and Beaufort and then leaves the valley finally running north all the way into Wendar. The Trail is rated fair by Glantrian AAA and has become a major caravan route with the opening of the western borderland areas to settlement as well as with the corresponding increase in relations and trade with Wendar. Smaller trails connect the small settlements and a fair quality spur of the Great Northwestern Trail connects Malinbois with Sylaire to the south and continues north until it hits the Great Northwestern trail at Beaufort.

Food:
Subsistence/Imported (wild game)

Economics:
Morlay-Malinbois recently started to exploit its recently discovered substantial mineral deposits in the form of Silver and Gold as well as the previously tapped Obsidian deposits. The recently discovered gold mines in the Black Mountains in 1004 now provides a great source of income for the Prince and wealth for its people. Morlay-Malinbois has thus become a leading center of gold and silver mining over the last several years in western Glantri. Next to agriculture and logging; mining operations are the largest employer in the Principality. The large forests of the region also hold of wild game, yet with the substantial increase in the lycanthrope population in the last 15 years Prince Malachie has to continuous monitor the stocks of wild game to make sure they are not depleted. At times he has had to import wild game from other wilderness regions to keep the populations high.

Malinbois Monthly Financial Ledger (figures from 1000 AC)

Main resources: 1 animal (fur), 1 vegetable (wine/grapes)

2 hexes: forested hills, river; rural; pop. 560; tax 56 dc
1 hex: forested hills, river; borderland; pop. 280; tax 14 dc
3 hexes: forested hills; borderland; pop. 420; tax 21 dc
1 hex: hills; borderland; pop. 280; tax 14 dc
Malinbois: village; pop. 350; tax 35 dc

Total population: 910 villages/rural, 980 borderland

Tax Income: 140 dc
Resource Income: 420 dc
Standard Income: 1120 dc
Council Tax: 336 dc
Net Cash: 224 dc
Overhead (40%): 89.6 dc
Available Cash: 134.4 dc

With 6720 XP/year, in 5 years (1000-1005) the Viscount could gain up to 33,600 XP on dominion XP alone, not rising in level.

Alternate: 1680 XP/year, in 5 years (1000-1005) the Viscount could gain up to 8400 XP on dominion XP alone, not rising in level.

Morlay Financial Ledger (figures from 1000 AC)

Main resources: 1 animal (furs), 1 mineral (obsidian)

4 hexes: mountain; borderland; pop. 224; tax 11.2 dc
2 hexes: forested hills; borderland; pop 280 tax 14 dc
1 hex: hills; borderland; pop. 280; tax 14 dc
Loupmont: village; pop. 200; tax 20 dc

Total population: 200 villages/rural, 784 borderland

Tax Income: 59.2 dc
Resource Income: 413.6 dc
Standard Income: 473.6 dc
Council Tax: 189.3 dc
Net Cash: 283.5 dc
Overhead (35%): 99.2 dc
Available Cash: 184.3 dc

With 5673.6 XP/year, in 5 years (1000-1005) the Baron could gain up to 28,368 XP on dominion XP alone, not rising in level.

Alternate: 710.4 XP/year, in 5 years (1000-1005) the Baron could gain up to 3552 XP on dominion XP alone, not rising in level.

Morlay-Malinbois Monthly Financial Ledger (figures from 1014 AC)

Main resources: 1 Animal (furs), 2 mineral (silver, obsidian/gold)

2 hexes: hills; rural; pop. 520; tax 52 dc
3 hexes: hills; borderland; pop. 720; tax 36 dc
2 hexes: forested hills with river; rural; pop. 500; tax 50 dc
3 hexes: forested hills with river; borderland; pop. 750; tax 57.5 dc
3 hexes: forested hills; rural; pop. 378; tax 37.8 dc
3 hexes: forested hills; borderland; pop. 378; tax 18.9 dc
8 hexes: mountain; borderland; pop. 403; tax 20.2 dc
Loupmont: village; pop. 1050; tax 105 dc
Malinbois: village; pop. 1125; tax 112.5 dc

Total Population: 3523 village/rural, 2251 borderland

Tax Income: 432.4 dc
Resource Income: 3718.8 dc
Standard Income: 3718.8 dc
Council Tax: 1574 dc
Net Cash: 2577.2 dc
Overhead (55%): 1417.5 dc
Available Cash: 1159.7 dc

With 49,814 XP/year, in 9 years (1005-1014) Malachie du Marais gains up to 448,326 XP with dominion XP rising from M10 to M13 on dominion XP alone (just short of M15, reaching it in 1015).

Alternate: 5189 XP/year, in 9 years (1005-1014) Malachie du Marais gains up to 46,701 XP with dominion XP, not rising in level.

History:
Viscounts of Malinbois:
Gauthier de Moriamis 895-937 b.857 d.937

Henry de Moriamis 937-964 b.892 d.964

Maxime de Moriamis 964-997 b.927 d. 997

Diane de Moriamis 997-1005 b.958

Barons of Morlay:
Giles Grenier 990-993 b.947 d.1007

Malachie du Marais 993-1005 b.956

Princes of Morlay-Malinbois:
Malachie du Marais 1005- b.956
Division Commander 1010-

The area of present day Morlay-Malinbois, like Noevelle Averoigne, was sparsely settled by the Flaem prior to the Averoignians arriving from their home world of Laterre in AC 728. The Averoignians were granted permission by the leaders of the Flaem as well as the Okarians already settled in the region, to settle the upper Isoile River valley. Most of the original settlers from Laterre settled in the fertile region between the Isoile and Loir Rivers around the estate of the d’Ambreville family who lead the migration from Laterre. The forested hills of the valley north of Noevelle Averoigne was wilderness with a few Averoignian hunters, trappers and loggers settling among the few isolated Okarians or Flaem living the region. Due to the large and ferocious packs of wolves inhabiting the valley it came to be known as la Vallee des Loups, the Valley of the Wolves, and remained lightly settled for centuries even after the arrival of the Averoignians.

In AC 743 a second wave of Averoignian settlers arrived. Unlike the first wave which consisted of the d’Ambreville family and many of their followers, this much larger 2nd wave consisted of Averoignians who were previously unassociated directly with the d’Ambreville family. While most of the 2nd wave settled lower in the Isoile closer to Braejr, and founded the town of Les Hiboux, some of the newly arrived settlers moved north and in AC 745 the first permanent settlements were founded in the Valley. For the next 150 years history and events marched on in the rest of the Highlands as civil wars raged and a Glantrian nation was formed but little changed in the Valley.

After the disappearance of Prince Etienne in 881 his cousin and apprentice Pierre took over rulership of Noevelle Averoigne as well as the charge of Grandmaster of the Great School of Magic. Many Princes coveted the title however and they made a deal with Pierre that his confirmation as Prince was contingent upon agreeing that the holder of the charge of Grandmaster could be revisited in 15 years. Pierre agreed and was confirmed Prince of Noevelle Averoigne but in 895 the Council of Princes, true to its word, revisited the notion of who would be Grandmaster since the missing Etienne was obviously dead or simply disappeared for good. A challenge by Fernando de Belcadiz left the Council of Princes at an impass as both Pierre and Fernando had significant support. A compromise was proposed, by Pierre’s councilor Thierry Tuslane that Pierre would step away from the title of Grandmaster in return for the Council creating two new dominions in western Glantri that Pierre could fill with his supporters. The relieved Council agreed and later that year two new dominions were created. The County of Touraine to the southwest of Les Hiboux for which Pierre submitted Tulasne; a mysterious wizard reputed to be very powerful and experienced, who was confirmed by the Council. The second dominion was in the lower Valley of the Wolves and the Viscounty of Malinbois was created. To fill this noble slot Pierre chose an old friend of his and chose Gauthier de Moriamis to be the first Viscount of Malinbois.

Even with the new dominion of Malinbois the Valley of the Wolves remained rather sparsely settled in the decades that followed the establishment of Malinbois and the valley continued to be a place where hunters, trappers, and miners plied their trades rather than where settlers and families would come to tame the wilderness and settle down. The Valley however was forever changed in AC 984 when the d’Ambreville family returned to New Averoigne after disappearing mysteriously for 103 years. Along with the d’Ambrevilles came a mysterious figure that would change the Valley of the Wolves forever, Malachie du Marais.

The return of Etienne and the rest of the d’Ambrevilles opened a second gate between Noevelle Averoigne and old Averoigne on Laterre. The gate stayed upon for some five years and while it was open an estimated 10,000 Averoignians came through the gate to settle in western Glantri. Rather than crowd previously settled lands most of the new settlers moved into the sparsely settled lands of the Valley of the Wolves. One of the newly arrived wizards, Malachie du Marais quickly became their leader and spokesman and established himself a stronghold at the northern tip of the valley. The gate in addition to bring thousands to the area also brought a significant outbreak of Lycanthropy to the region. After years of settling the northern end of the Valley of the Wolves the Council of Princes agreed in 990 to create a new Barony but to everyone’s surprise Prince Etienne selected Giles Grenier, another newly arrived wizard of some notoriety, over du Marais that most observers thought would be selected to be the Baron. Even more controversial was Grenier’s decision to claim Marais’ tower at Morlay as his seat of power. Only the personal intervention of Prince Etienne kept Malachie from challenging Grenier to a duel. However while du Marais acquiesced and left the tower he built with his own money, the new Barony of Morlay saw a frightful outbreak of lycanthropic attacks. While he claimed no knowledge of them, most obviously blamed du Marais and the first rumors were started around Glantri that he himself was a lycanthrope and behind the outbreak of lycanthropy that plagued western Glantri around the time of the reappearance of the d’Ambrevilles. A fact Etienne knew and at first detested which is why he supported Grenier over the logical choice of du Marais to become the first Baron of Morlay.

However the strife and Grenier’s rule of Morlay was not to last long. In 993 the long lived Orkarian Viscount of Fausseflammes, Bttrie, died without an heir. An awards festival was held and Grenier defeated the Barons of Egorn, Ezechiel Naramis, and Oxhill, Pieter Vandehaar to become the new Viscount of Fausseflammes. With the support of the population and this time the support of Prince Etienne Malachie beat out three others to win the Awards Festival for the open Barony of Moray and became its second Baron. Several years later in 997 the elderly Claude de Moriamis died without a child but one of the new arrivals from old Averoigne was one Diane de Moriamis, a distant relation across the two stage of Averoignian emigration from Old Averoigne. After a contentious session at the Council of Princes she was recognized as a legal heir to Malinbois and was confirmed as Claude’s successor to Malinbois de Moriamis.

While Moriamis had little interest in ruling and spent much of her time socializing in Glantri City Marais was content to rule his dominion. However he was far from content to only be a Baron. Years previous to arriving in Glantri Malachie had contracted wolf Lycanthropy and soon started to have notions of establishing a Principality, a Principality of Free Wolves. He then spent many years planning and preparing, trying to establish alliances and support at Parliament and with the local population. He also worked to consolidate his power within the region by quietly making it be known that lycanthropes, especially werewolves, to the Valley. Soon after Dame Diane became the Viscount a path to his goal of a creation of Principality of Free Wolves came to the Baron of Morlay. Diane de Moriamis was unmarried, unattractive, and socially inept thus not particularly likely to marry soon or well. Malachie concocted a scheme to court her and propose marriage and join their two dominions together to cover the vast majority of the Valley of the Wolves and create a Principality of Free Wolves.

After many years of planning and preparing, Malachie finally saw his opportunity with the onset of the Great War in AC 1005. After a long courtship of Moriamis, Malachie proposed to Diane soon after war was declared between Glantri and Alphatia, and they were married. Now that he could count on the full support of the whole of the Valley he made his move and applied to the Council of Princes for an Act of Enfiefment for the Valley of the Wolves. Reasoning with the Council that he and his lycanthropic subjects could be an advantage to Glantri in the coming war, and with Prince Etienne’s strong support (having set aside his personal feelings about lycanthropy and seeing the obvious benefit they could be to Glantri in this time of war), Malachie managed to persuade enough Princes on the Council (Vanserie, Jaggar, Harald, Volospin, and Etienne) to approve the Act and in 1005 the Barony of Morlay and Viscounty of Malinbois were dissolved and Morlay-Malinbois became the 13th Glantrian Principality.

Prince Malachie had little time to administer his new Principality however as he set to raising a division to fulfill the call for volunteers to help expand the Grand Army of Glantri from 8 to 60 divisions. Malachie was able to raise over a thousand volunteers (nearly 50% being lycanthropes) and the Council of Princes designated the Morlay-Malinbois division as the 39th Glantrian Division. Many Army commanders did not want Malachie’s division in their armies however believing the lycanthropes would prove to be more trouble and create more problems (like infecting their other troops!) than any combat benefit they might have. Prince Jaggar pushed to have General Erik von Kluge, pre-war commandant of the Fuhrburg Military Academy his choice to command the 1st Army, to take the division which he did. Prince Malachie and his division were then sent to Fort Nordling where the troops were drilled in discipline and tactics and Prince Malachie himself learned the fine arts of military command and strategy from General von Kluge.

While the armies of Alphatia were heavily engaged with the Thyatians in the first years of the war on the Isle of Dawn, the Alphatians still brought the war to Morlay-Malinbois by having squads of wizards summon monsters and set them loose to terrorize Glantri. In defense Glantri deployed Hunter-Killer (H-K) units, usually made of teams of adventurers, to track down and destroy the monsters and the Alphatian agents behind them. Morlay-Malinbois though plagued by monsters was fairly well guarded by several H-K units which did much to protect its population from the worst of attacks. One of the most famed units was led by a wizard who later would become one of Glantri’s most famed war-heroes, native of Vyonnes, Michel Leconte. In 1007 Thar invaded Glantri and while Morlay-Malinbois was not directly affected by Thar the 39th (Morlay-Malinbois) Division saw heavy action against Thar and acquitted itself well. In particular Prince Malachie was shown to be a quick student of war and a talented and inspiration leader. While Thar’s hordes were still occupying large parts of Glanri and besieging Glantri City the Great Plague hit in the summer of 1008 eventually killing upwards of 15% of Glantri’s (and Morlay-Malinbois’s) population before the plague, with some help from imported clerics, finally ran its course. One of the casualties of the plague was Prince Malachie’s commander General von Kluge. Prince Malachie was selected by Prince Jagger to command the 1st Army and he performed brilliantly in the Glantrian winter counteroffensive of 1008-1009 where the siege of Glantri City was broken and Thar’s army eventually driven back to the Broken Lands.

The end of the war saw Prince Malachie commanding an ad hoc Army Group defending the whole of southwest Glantri. Guarding against further attacks from Thar as well as preparing for the expected Alphatian offensive in early 1010. Prince Malachie’s talent and skill as a military leader were recognized with The Glantrian Military Reorganization Act of 1010. Malachie was given the Council Charge of command of two new regular army divisions and made a Corp Commander and given a commission in the newly restructured Grand Army of Glantri and given the rank of Field Marshal. With the demobilization of the Glantrian Army Prince Malachie returned home to Morlay-Malinbois and took stock of the state of his Principality.

The lycanthropes of Morlay-Malinbois were no more immune to the devastating plague as normal men were and it was estimated that nearly 20% of Morlay-Malinbois’s population died during the war between monster attacks and the plague. Prince Malachie used the years of peace and rebuilding after the end of the war with Alphatia to recruit lycanthropes from all over the world to come to Morlay-Malinbois where they could live without fear and with some measure of respect from non-lycanthropes. In addition Prince Malachie took advantage of the relaxed restrictions on clerics in Glantri to recruit as many as he could to come to his Principality. Today in 1014 population levels, while still down from pre-war totals, are starting to strongly rebound and Prince Malachie expects that within five years the population of Morlay-Malinbois will reach the pre-war population levels, and with an even higher percentage of lycanthropes than existed in the pre-war population.

Cultural Curiosities:
FOOD
The Piazza Food Network is pleased to welcome back after a long vacation our beloved by readers and feared by chefs, food critic. You might remember his award winning culinary reviews for Glantri’s BETTER TOWERS AND GARDENS magazine: Micky the Mage.. So without further adieu… HERES….MICKY!!

Thanks Ed! You do need to lose that suit though man. Hey folks! Micky here reporting from the wilds of Morlay-Malinbois. I have a special treat for us today. I made the trip up to Loupmont to see what the local culinary scene was like. I really didn’t expect much, and nothing could be as ‘frontier’ as I remember Bramya being so with low expectations I made the trip from Vyonnes to Loupmont on the new Great Western Road. To my surprise soon after checking in at wildly overpriced Auberge des Chasseurs, (7gp a NIGHT!!?), I received an invitation to join the Prince of Morlay-Malinbois for dinner that evening at his tower. Joining the Prince and I for dinner was his lovely sister Suzanne. Prince Malachie opened (himself) a bottle of Camay, the famed Beaufjolais from the Princes Vineyard at Vignes. The regional dishes of Morlay-Mainbois tend to be simple, rustic food, nothing fancy just hearty tasty fare and are renowned for the quality of its pork products as the crisp mountain valley air is perfect for drying hams and curing sausages. Meat dishes are prepared by combining the meat with local nuts including hazelnuts, and chestnuts. We enjoyed a fine meal starting with plates of green lentils from Lundegarde, grown on volcanic soil, have a distinctive and refined flavor that just stimulated one’s palate for the next courses.

Next we were served the signature dish of Malinboise, Pôchouse Malinbosonne, a traditional fish stew that is prepared with bass, pike, and tench from the Loir River. The fish is poached in aligoté (a white wine from Malinbois) and served with a cream sauce. For our main course we had the signature dish of Morlay, Les Tripou, lambs feet and veal offal stuffed with nuts, herbs, cooked for over four hours in a veal stock, salted, peppered, flavored with white wine , with carrots and tomatoes, and served over a bed of mashed potatoes . Absolutely heaven! For dessert we have a simple, yet delectable Tarte aux Myrtilles using blackberries from the slopes of the Black mountains. We finished our meal with a glass of Morlay Brandy and retired to the Prince’s study where we enjoyed a lively evening of billards and small talk about the state of Glantri today and retired for the evening and staying as a guest as his tower. Thanks to Prince Malachie for being a perfect host and complements to his chef for an outstanding meal that really typified the cuisine of the Valley of the Wolves.

ARTS AND LITERATURE/ ARCHITECTURE
There is very little to be found in the frontier wilderness of Morlay-Malinbois.

SPECIAL CUSTOMS
The people of Morlay-Malinbois place a high priority on individualism, privacy and hard work as reflecting the borderland frontier nature of the principality. Due to the ever present dangers of being a borderland frontier region participation in militias is expected of all able bodied men and women of the principality. Prince Malachie has several laws that are unique to the rest of Glantri that travelers must be aware of when visiting. Killing wolves is a felony in Morlay-Malinbois and while lycanthropy is not a crime here transmitting the disease to unwitting victims is also considered a felony. Unlike many principalities not only has Prince Malachie encouraged clerics to settle in Morlay-Malinbois he keeps a staff of them on hand to cure illegal infections of unwilling citizens, travelers, or visitors. Morlay-Malinbois has several holidays and festivals that exemplify some of these traits found here as well as their Averoignian heritage.

Nouvel An: (1 Nuwmont) First day of the year celebrated with feasts and dances throughout Morlay-Malinbois.

Fête des Fleurs: (5 Thaumont) An annual celebration of Spring. Larger villages host flower parades, horse races, and livestock markets. Everyone dresses in their most colorful clothes and adorn themselves with flower wreaths.

Fête des Feux: (18 Yarthmont) A celebration of late spring, in which villages light tremendous bonfires to burn throughout the night.

Milice Deux Semaine : (8 Felmont-21 Felmont) A holiday of sort in that most all work ceases for two weeks in the middle of summer. However it is not a time of celebration but a time for duty in Morlay-Malinbois as all able bodied men as well as women who volunteer report in at their villages and are organized into militia company and train under the command their citizen officers and often under the direct supervision of Prince Malachie himself.

Vyonnese Carnival: (15 Fyrmont) The national holiday of the Averoignian people.

Fête des Vignes: (28 Ambyrmont) An annual of the year’s grape harvest. Wine tasting contests are held all throughout the Principality and wine merchants from all over Glantri attend and make their selections. The largest festivals are in Vignes and Malinbois.

Fête des Châtaigne : (13 Sviftmont)The annual festival of Malinbois and the lower valley celebrating the chestnut harvest

Notable sites:
Loupmont
Ruler: Constable Seamus Greenfields (born 973, C16/WWO4, AL- L) Seamus is a cleric of Ruaidhri Hawkbane who once secretly came to Glantri from Minrothad to investigate the lycanthrope situation. Soon after arriving he himself became one. Receiving guidance from his immortal to serve the new Prince of Werewolves whom the immortal finds of great interest, Seamus revealed himself not as a retired fighter but a cleric of an order against the spread of lycanthropy. Prince Malachie welcomed his honest and told him he would show his patron that lycanthropy was not a curse, but a blessing and those blessed with it were no more prone to be monsters than the unafflicted. Seamus proved invaluable in helping combat the plague and preventing even more widespread death. Prince Malachie rewarded him by giving him control of the principalities 2nd largest but most important community.

Loupmont itself has grown rapidity in the last few years and is one of the few communities in Glantri (along with Malinbois) to have surpassed pre-war pre-plague population levels. New construction projects are found all over the village, most commercially orientated as increasing numbers of caravans move east and west through the village coming from or heading to the far northwestern dominions or Wendar. The gold strike in the Black Mountains northeast of Loupmont has brought great wealth not only to the Prince but the people of Loupmont. Guards for mining operations and for the caravans carrying their goods are always in demand to protect the mines and caravans carrying their yield from the dangers of the frontier.

Tour de Silence
Located near the geographic center of the principality the tower has come to be a regional fascination over the years. Seemingly abandoned for no one has been seen inhabiting or leaving the tower. Built long before the region was settled it is said that no one has ever managed to gain entrance to the tower itself. It’s stout doors have defeated any attempt to batter down, its locks impervious to any attempts to pick, and most peculiarly the tower is surrounded by a 100’ radius of ‘silence’ that defeats any attempt to cast spells while close to the tower. Generations of residents of the valley have grown up dreaming of being the one to gain entrance to the tower and gain the riches said to be within the tower.

Malinbois
Ruler Constable Guy Chastain (born 989, F12) Guy was born in Malinbois and enlisted at age 16 as a private in the 48th Glantrian Division in 1005. Seeing heavy combat during Thar’s invasion Guy rose through the ranks, first to Deca, then Sergeant and ending the war as a Lieutenant in the division’s 3rd banner he became an adventurer of some note in the years immediately after the war. When the old Constable of Malinbois died earlier this year Chastain was appointed by Prince Malachie to be Constable of the village of Malinbois. While not a lycanthrope Guy is aware of the politics of the Valley of the Wolves and has no prejudice against lycanthropes and supports them and their goal of establishing a safe region for them to live.

Malinbois is the largest community in the southern valley and is an economically vital commercial center with rich farming lands, rare in the valley, along with renowned vineyards, and most importantly a large vein of silver recently discovered underneath Malinbois keep and ancestral home of the de Moriamis family. The keep was torn down and relocated after the end of the Great War and after extensive excavation and preparation the new mine delivered its first yields of high quality silver in 1014. In addition Malinbois saw a substantial influx of population due to the new mine has seen a steep increase in population which has kept it just above the rapidly growing Loupmont as the largest community in Morlay-Malinbois. The former Viscountess of Malinbois, and still legally the wife of Prince Malachie, Diane de Moriamis still resides at her family home but is rarely seen these days and is rumored to be suffering from depression.

Coat of Arms:

Useful links:
Night Howlers by Ann Dupuis
The Economy of Morlay-Malinbois by Aleksei Andrievski
The Grand Army of Glantri 1000-1014, Noevelle Averoigne, The history of the d’Ambreville family by Michael Berry

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:10 am

Touraine, County of
1014 AC

Area:
392 square miles

Population:
1000 AC - 2800
1014 AC - 2520

Villages: (population values are given for 1000 AC and 1014 AC)
Vendeè (560/500): is located in the center of the County a couple of miles north of the tower of Touraine.
The village serves as the commercial and administrative center of Touraine and serves the needs of the ruling Countess of Touraine.
Rombiolo (400/350): is located on the Isoile River at the south end of the Pont de Arts and one of the primary crossing points over the Isoile River. Located where the Ource meets the Isoile the land is incredible fertile and is the agricultural center of Touraine.
Chantonnay (245/225): is located in the foothills of the Glantrian Alps and is the center of the silver mining trade in Touraine with two large mines in operation in the surrounding hills and mountains.

Ethnic groups:
Averoignian 35%, Flaem 35%, Thyatian 25%, Orkarian 3%, Other 2%

Languages:
Thyatian common, Averoignian

Ruler:
Dame Genevieve de Sephora (born 959, 1000AC - M20, 1014AC - M23, 5th Circle Alchemist, AL - Neutral)

House:
Sylaire

Military:
The Countess maintains a fulltime professional guard force, The Ram’s Head (40 F2, chain, spear and short sword or hand axe, riding normal horses) are divided into 4 squads each led by a sergeant which patrols Touraine and upholds the laws and watches for wandering monsters from the nearby mountains. Touraine is often visited by patrols from Les Hiboux by the various banners of Malachie's 15th Division that is stationed there and they assist the Ram’s Head in patrolling the land and watching for wandering monsters. The 15th Division also participates in training and exercises with the local militia of Touraine. The Viscounty employs 20 sheriffs who handle basic law and order within the Viscounty.

Trails:
Touraine, located on the south bank of the Isoile River and tucked between the river and the mountains has no major trails passing through it. The fair quality Ximes road leads from Rombiolo westward and over the Tarn River at the Pont de Edoard to Ximes in Noevelle Averoigne. The majestic Pont des Arts crosses the Isoile opposite Rombiolo and provides easy access to and from Touraine from the Isoile and Les Hiboux Free Provinces and the rest of Glantri via the Vyonnes-Glantri City Road. The trail leading from Vendeè to Rombiolo and over the Pont des Arts to Canolo in the Isoile Free Province is a fair rated trail and is heavily patrolled by the Ram’s Head. The smaller settlements of Touraine are linked to each other and to Vendeè and Rombiolo by smaller poor quality trails.

Food:
Subsistence

Economics:
Touraine produces enough staple foods to feed its own population and those communities surrounding it. Touraine is home to several large productive silver mines which account for a large portion of the wealth of the County. The rolling hills of Touraine are tailor made for livestock so Touraine raises an excess of cows, sheep and pigs which are often shipped across the river to the more agricultural Les Hiboux Free Province where the land is too rich to waste by giving it over to grazing lands.

Touraine Monthly Financial Ledger (figures from 1000 AC)

Main resources: 1 animal (livestock), 1 mineral (silver)

5 hexes: hills; rural; pop. 1400; tax 140 dc
2 hexes: hills, river; rural; pop. 840; tax 84 dc
Touraine: village; pop. 560; tax 56 dc

Total population: 2800 villages/rural

Tax Income: 280 dc
Resource Income: 1400 dc
Standard Income: 2240 dc
Council Tax: 784 dc
Net Cash: 896 dc
Overhead (45%): 403 dc
Available Cash: 493 dc

With 20160 XP/year, in 14 years (1000-1014) the Countess could gain 282,240 XP, rising from M20 to M22 on dominion XP alone.

Alternate: 3360 XP/year in 14 years (1000-1014) the Countess could gain 47,040 XP on dominion XP alone.

History:
Counts of Touraine:
Thierry Tulasne 896-986 b.? d.984
Brotherhood of the Radiance 896-986

Genevieve de Sephora 986- b.959

The lands that later became the Country of Touraine were, like all of western Glantri sparsely settled by the Flaem upon their arrival in the Highlands. Other than the occasional prospector, hunter/trapper, or reclusive wizard the lands up the Isoile River valley remained unsettled until the stranded remnants of the Overlord’s army settled the lands. While the Orkarians did settle the upper river valley they tended to concentrate in the rich agricultural lands of present day Noevelle Averoigne. Only a few Orkarians and Flaem settled the wild hills between the Isoile River and the mountains to the west of Braejr. However with the coming of the Averoignians to the northwest and the Thyatians to the southeast around 728, the hills to the south of the Isoile were soon rapidly settled by the land and space hungry settlers.

At first the Thyatians were the predominant settlers of the hills of Touraine and surrounding area due to the proximity of their main settlements in present day Westheath and Hightower where the Averoignians under King Edoard had the rich lands of present day Noevelle Averoigne as well as the rich river valley north of the Isoile to settle. All changed however once the first word of significant deposits of silver and other valuable metals were discovered in the hills and adjacent mountains. The hills were outside of King Edoard’s original borders for his Kingdom of Noevelle Averoigne and unclaimed by the Kings of the Flaem so a general land rush ensued as Thyatian, Flaem, and Averoignians all moved into the hills to tap into and exploit the mineral wealth of the hills. It is likely that conflict would have ensued between the Averoignian, Flaem and the Thyatians if not for the series of civil wars that plagued the Highlands starting in 784.

Taking advantage of first the war between the Thyatian and the Flaem and soon after the war between the Alphatian/Hattians and Thyatin/Flaem coalitions the King of the Noevelle Averoigne, King Michel, annexed the hills south of the Isoile as far east as Les Hiboux and made them a part of his Kingdom. The end of the civil wars in 828 brought peace to the Highlands for the first time in nearly 50 years and not wanting to risk a new war, this time with Noevelle Averoigne, the new Council of the Republic grudgingly gave up claims over the rich hills but redoubled efforts to have the Kingdom join the Republic. Finally with the 3rd King of Noevelle Averoigne, Etienne d’Ambreville, progress was made and in return for some steep conditions the Kingdom of Noevelle Averoigne was dissolved and the whole of western Glantri was annexed. The hills of Touraine were made a free province and saw a new wave of Flaemish and Thyatian settlers arrive to settle the hills alongside the Averoignians.

The hills of Touraine remained a part of the Isoile Free Province, and under the auspices of the Council of Princes of the new magocracy of Glantri for some 50 years until political dealings between the Council of Princes and Etienne d’Ambreville’s successor Pierre resulted in a new dominion being carved from the Isoile Free Territory. Part of the terms of Pierre being allowed to follow his mentor, Etienne, as Grandmaster of the Great School was that the issue who would hold the most prestigious and powerful Council Charge would be readdressed in 15 years. When that time came in 896 the Council found itself at an impasse between supporters of Pierre and those of Fernando de Belcadiz. As part of the compromise to allow resolution Pierre agreed to step down but only if the Council would create two new dominions in western Glantri and that he would be able to put forward to the Council those to rule them. The Council agreed and Pierre choose the hills of Touraine to be one and chose his mysterious advisor, but one known to be extremely powerful wizard, Thierry Tulasne to be his choice to rule the new County. The Council debated for the day about the choice of Tulasne. There was no doubt as to his qualifications but no one could trace his background back any further than 5 years into the past. No one knew where he came from, or even if he was Glantrian. However at the end of the day Tulasne won approval of the Council of Princes with only a few dissentions and established the Country of Touraine and became its first Count.

The mysterious Count Tulasne was rarely ever seen in Touraine and appointed a very capable Orkarian to administer Touraine while Tulasne immersed himself in his magical research at his new tower of Touraine. Touraine was led capably by Tulasne’s appointed Orkarian administrator and enjoyed many years of growth and prosperity as a new silver lode was found in the southwest portion of Touraine which brought even more settlers to the dominion. Tulasne himself was seen only rarely outside of his tower, at most once a year, and as time went on both the people of Touraine and Council of Princes forgot about him.

And so it went for nearly 100 years the Thierry Tulasne remained the Count of Touraine. A long time for sure but for long lived wizards it was hardly rare enough to merit the attention of the Council of Princes. He was rarely seen in his years of rule but seen enough, once or twice a year, to not raise questions with the Council so little notice was paid when he was not seen for several years, coinciding with the reappearance of the d’Ambrevilles and the lifting of the Grey Mist in 984 so it came as little surprise when Prince Etienne announced to the Council of Princes in 986 that Thierry Tulasne, Count of Touraine had passed away. Tulasne was thought to be heirless with no children, known family, or a declared heir. Prince Etienne surprised the Council of Princes by introducing Genevieve de Sephora, a recently arrived wizard from Old Averoigne, as a distant relation to Tulasne from Old Averoigne. After several sessions of debate and investigation a bitterly divided Council barely passed Etienne’s motion and declared Genevieve de Sephora as the new Countess of Touraine.

In the years that followed the new Countess taking over Touraine the County saw a steady growth in population and a firm steady hand in administering it as Genevieve took a personal hand in ruling Touraine and unlike many nobles spend most of her time in her dominion. Unlike Tulasne before her Genevieve made it a point to get out of her tower and visit the settlements of Touraine and soon came to earn the respect of those she ruled. Her reign as Countess was tested severely during the Great Plague when Touraine, as all Glantri, was hit hard and without clerical magic to help combat it lost nearly 15% of its population. With the end of the plague and then the Great War Touraine has seen life pretty much return to normal. The population has started to grow again after the grievous losses of 1008-1009 and within a few years Touraine is expected to return to pre-war population levels and prosperity.

Notable sites:
The DeVille estate located in the southeast hills of the County is the longtime home of the DeVille family, a family of famous were-hunters. For years it served as the home and based of operations of Circè (M13), Simon (M9), and Lucien (F7). Today it no longer serves as the home of the DeVilles. Simon and Lucien were killed in 1004 on a werewolf hunt in the Valley of the Wolves and Circè became the Baroness of Leadyl in 1010. Today the estate still belongs to the family but is presently only occupied by a caretaker hired by the Baroness.

Mont Lauziére is a small mountain located near the center of the County of Touraine. Several silver lodes have been found within its slopes and foothills. Unknown as of yet however is the existence of a large cavern within the mountain. The cavern has a hidden surface exit on the southern slopes of the mountain other exits from the cavern lead downward and lead nearly 1000 feet downward and eventually exit in the lands of the Shadow elves. The shadow elves are aware of the path into and out of their lands and make sure the tunnel is guarded. Agents and spies are regularly dispatched to Glantri through the cavern and tunnels.

Coat of Arms:

Useful links:
The Economy of Touraine by Aleksei Andrievski
Noevelle Averoigne, Morlay-Malinbois, Fausseflammes, The history of the d’Ambreville family, and Genevieve de Sephora by Michael Berry

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:21 am

Genevieve de Sephora
Countess of Touraine
AC 1014
By Michael Berry
“Before I die I will have his white pelt on my wall”

I. Appearance
Of all the beautiful women in Glantri, and boy let me tell you there are some, few even compare to Genevieve de Sephora. Genevieve stands 5’ 7” tall with long curly brown hair and green eyes. Her skin is mentioned often as perhaps her most stunning attribute. Despite her age her skin is flawless with no wrinkles and is soft and milky white. She tends to wear tight silk robes which accentuate her rather awe inspiring figure. Genevieve tends to prefer neutral colors with her clothing and often will wear jewelry to match her choice in colors and has a preference for simple jeweled pendants which rest upon her ample bosom. It is often joked among the male nobles that the Countess could simple charm a man by winking or smiling at him, the truth is her beauty is so exquisite that any male must save versus spells or be subject to a non-magical charm (same effect and duration as the spell).

II. Personality & Quirks
Genevieve de Sephora is driven by two increasingly divergent aspects of her personality. She is intensely loyal to the d’Ambreville family, especially Etienne, for providing her an escape from Old Averoigne on Laterre and bringing her to this place and giving her the opportunity, with the rulership of Touraine, to show that she is not just a pretty face and killer body but an intelligent woman and a wizard of great power. The darker side of Genevieve’s personality is that she is driven by a absolute hatred of Prince Malachie du Marais and of any lycanthropic creature. She has made it her single most important mission in life to see Malachie dead. While unable to act directly due to the realities of Glantrian politics she normally has multiple plots brewing at any time to have 3rd parties either kill him or more preferably quietly capture him and deliver him to her at Touraine so that she can reap her revenge upon him directly.

Outside of d’Ambrevilles and lycanthropes Genevieve is quite the pleasant host or guest. Having felt like she has proven herself as a wizard, reaching the High Mastery of Alchemy, and proved to all that she is a capable and efficient dominion administrator she feels little need to try to impress her fellow nobles as she did when she first was raised to Countess of Touraine by Etienne d’Ambreville himself in the face of substantial opposition at the Council of Princes. In her private life Genevieve has never felt the need to marry but has been quick to take lovers as she has felt the desire or whim and has 3 children from 3 different fathers; Etienne (age 7), Mathéo (age 5), and Eugénie (age 2). As her son is set to enter the Great School of Magic in a few years she is seriously considering becoming a teacher at the Great School and leaving her dominion under the care of a hired professional. However before leaving Touraine for Glantri City she still has one thing she wants to accomplish, avenging her family.

III. History & Background
Genevieve de Sephora was the only child of Sébastien and Francine de Sephora. Genevieve was born in 959 and raised at Sylaire, her family’s estate, in Old Averoigne. In the two hundred plus years since the d’Ambrevilles were driven out of Averoigne by the King of France the practice of magic was severely cracked down upon by the King and the Counts of Averoigne following the exodus of the d’Ambervilles and their followers. Magic was highly illegal in Old Averoigne and due to its particular history in the province was stamped out whenever indentified. Anyone found, or often even suspected to be capable, of practicing magic was brought to the Count of Averoigne and almost without fail was soon burned alive in the public square of the capital of Averoigne. So it was to her parents great horror when innocent little Genevieve starting showing latent magical abilities at the age of 5.

Knowing that if her talent was unharnessed she would likely be discovered and sent to the Count and likely burned alive her parents made the choice to have her formally educated as the best way to protect their only child. After many back channel inquiries and much gold being passed that the de Sephora family was put in touch with a underground wizard named Julien Beauvilliers. After meeting young Genevieve, Julien agreed to formally teach her magic as well as guide her in how to survive as a magician in Averoigne. Under the tutelage of Beauvilliers Genevieve progressed quickly as a mage and discovered a passion for alchemy. Genevieve studied under Julien for over 10 years until personal tragedy struck her and became the singular focus that defined Genevieve de Sephora.

In the summer of 975 the 16 year old Genevieve was due for her coming of age party and her parents arranged for her to be presented at the court of the Count of Averoigne. On the road at night between Sylaire and Vyonnes her family was attacked by a pack of six wolves under the bright light of a full moon. Using her magical powers Genevieve tried to protect her mother and father and moved between the wolves and her family and told them to flee with their two personal guards and ride as fast as they could back to Sylaire. After dispatching the wolves Genevieve rode hard back towards Sylaire to meet her parents and resume their journey but the young Genevieve instead came upon a large white wolf starting to feast upon the remains of her parents. Summoning all the magic she had remaining the enraged Genevieve attacked the white wolf which fled into the night. Both of her parents and one of the household guards was dead, the other guard was near death when Genevieve arrived. Soon after the white wolf had fled the severely wounded guard, before Genevieve’s own eyes, began to transform into a wolf. Suddenly realizing this was no normal wolf attack Genevieve dispatched the now lycanthropic guard.

Now the master of her family’s tower the young Genevieve buried her parents and made it her singular mission in life to find this white werewolf and destroy it. Over the following years she, and other fellow werewolf hunters, would gird herself for combat and search the dark forest of Old Averoigne on the nights of the full moon in search of werewolves and especially the white werewolf. The guerilla war continued for several years without resolution. One night in 981 Genevieve was on a werehunt and had found the white wolf alone they were locked in combat when a 3rd party stumbled upon them, a group of adventurers, who naturally joined Genevieve and attacked the white wolf soon forcing the white wolf to flee. Thanking the party of adventurers Genevieve was shocked to hear the story of how the party, not of Averoigne, was not even apparently from this world but somehow were from some parallel world. Knowing her history Genevieve immediately understood this party was from the same world that the infamous d’Ambreville family had fled to hundreds of years ago. Joining the party Genevieve helped break the curse of Etienne d’Ambreville upon his family and she found herself transported with the party to Noevelle Averoigne and the ruins of the old Châteaux d’Ambreville.

In the days that followed her arrival Genevieve met the Etienne d’Ambreville and they immediately struck up a friendship and she offered to serve him and the family to the best of her abilities. She also offered to see the rebuilding of a the d’Ambreville family estate and proceeded to arrange having Sylaire disassembled stone by stone and brought through the new portal between Old and New Averoigne for the use of the family. Along with the tower of Sylaire many in Old Averoigne took advantage of the new portal to flee the iron hand of the Count of Averoigne and settle on Mystara.

Soon reports of an outbreak of werewolf attacks came to Genevieve’s attention and once word of a large white wolf got to her Genevieve knew her battle with her parent’s killer was to continue. However her personal war with the White Wolf soon was soon sidetracked after a personal meeting with Prince Etienne who thanked her personally for the relocation of Sylaire and offered her a chance to join the nobility of Glantri. All she had to do was play along with Etienne who was going to claim she was a distant relative of a recently deceased noble. Trusting Etienne to carry off the charade Genevieve agreed and upon the announcement that the Count of Touraine, Thierry Tulasne, had passed away supposedly without a declared heir or any known family she was presented to the Council of Princes as his distant relative.

Genevieve was known to the Council for being a new arrival from the d’Ambreville’s homeworld and donating her tower to the d’Ambrevilles which was carried through the portal stone and stone and rebuilt as Sylaire, the new home of the d’Ambreville family but not as any relation to Tulasne. Angry questions and hints of cronyism were directed at Etienne but he was able to provide a signed document from Tulasne indicating that his distant relative from Laterre be his heir, in addition Etienne produced paperwork said to be from Laterre notating the ancestral connection. After a week of bitter divisive debate, as much suspecting cronyism as much as simply wanting an Awards Festival to this prized dominion, Genevieve de Sephora was barely confirmed by Council vote to become the next Countess of Touraine. It is said her unique charming influence on men had as much to do winning the vote as Etienne’s dubious paperwork.

Settling into her new position as Countess of Touraine, de Sephora had three priorities. Establishing herself as a formidable wizard and master of alchemy to the other wizards of Glantri, taking a hands on approach to running Touraine, and last but not least continuing her private war against her enemy from Laterre the White Wolf. The years that followed her ascension to Countess of Touraine Genevieve de Sephora did remarkably well, first learning of, joining, and defeated the High Master of the Secret Craft of Alchemy and becoming its Master. She also proved to be an able administrator of her dominion, skillfully guiding it through the Great War and the devastating plague and over time became quite beloved by the people of Touraine. Only in her private war with the White Wolf did she not succeed. Soon after becoming Countess of Touraine a Averoignian wizard came to her attention who was an albino and active in the Valley of the Wolves. Strongly suspecting Malachie du Marais was the White Wolf Genevieve commissioned numerous attempts to kill or capture him which all failed. Soon her war against Malachie became more complicated as Malachie become a fellow noble then later a Prince of Glantri. Genevieve was never able to get hard proof that the White Wolf and Malachie were one and the same so she couldn’t act directly against him nor find any recourse in the laws of Glantri. Never one to admit defeat she continues her private war on Malachie to this day and lycanthropes in general and is noted for having cleared nearly all lycanthropes from her dominion.

IV. Web of Intrigue
Genevieve for most of her years in Glantri has not been personally involved in Glantrian Politics preferred to lay low and administer to her dominion and gain power by establishing herself as the premier alchemist in Glantri. Her only real goal outside of Touraine was of course her private war with Malachie du Marais. Restrained by the realities of Glantrian politics she has been forced to resort to using 3rd parties to attempt eliminating or capturing him. The elevation of Malachie to Prince of Morlay-Malinbois and the close working relationship he had first with Prince Etienne and later Princess Ididore have made her task even more difficult. She has in the past and continues still today to make use of her skills with alchemy to aid in finally getting her revenge upon Prince Malachie.

In the years since the Great War Genevieve has taken greater interest in the politics of Glantri. After the death of Henri d’Ambreville the traditional loyalty of Genevieve to Noevelle Averoigne has been severely strained. Relations between the Countess and Princess Isidore have been strained by rumors of her being a lycanthrope, a werewolf, and most certainly not helped by Princess Isidore’s alliance with Prince Malachie. Last year Countess de Sephora was known to have had several social visits with Princess Dolores of Blackhill and has been seriously mulling Dolores’ offer to leave House Sylaire and join House Silverston. Time will tell if she will for no matter how cold the relationship between Genevieve and Isidore, there always remains the Averoignian bond and loyalty to the memory of Prince Etienne. However if Princess Dolores was able to do as she promised, and deliver Prince Malachie to Genevieve, she might seriously consider joining House Silverston.

V. Statistics & Style of Magic

Statistics: 23rd level Wizard, 5th Circle Alchemist; Str 11, Int 17, Wis 15, Dex 10, Con 13, Chr 18; AL - Neutral

Languages:
Averoignian, Thyatin Common, Alphatian (Flaemish dialect), Elf

Weapon Proficiencies:
Dagger (skilled), Staff (skilled)

Skills (11): Alchemy (I+3), Metallurgy (I), Alternative Magics (I), Knowledge of Lycanthropy (I+1), Knowledge of Glantrian Government (I), Glantrian Society and Nobility (I), Persuasion (Cha)

Genevieve is a powerful spellcaster who is well versed in all the common offensive and defensive spells. While not particularly known as a combat mage by the very nature of her high level and repertoire of spells she would prove a very formidable opponent in combat. Due to her high political and social standing in Glantri she is more apt to use her formidable and more subtle skills as a alchemist and High Master of the Secret Craft of Alchemy to combat a known opponent. Genevieve would only resort to dagger and staff in the most extreme cases otherwise teleporting away from a danger that her magic alone could not defeat.

‘Oh don’t listen to the rumors; she just never forgave me for shooting her down one night’
(Malachie du Marais)

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:31 am

Fausseflammes, Viscounty of
1014 AC

Area:
504 square miles

Population:
1000 AC - 2010
1014 AC - 1709

Villages: (population values are given for 1000 AC and 1014 AC)
Orkari (400/325): located in the center of the Viscounty this is the economic and administrative center of Fausseflammes.
Prrissa (200/150): is an Orkarian mining village in the western half of Fausseflammes and is known for its lead mines.
Sainte Zenobie (225/200): is an Averoignian farming village on the Tarn River in the eastern half of Fausseflammes.
Avannui (150/125): is an Orkarian mining village in the southeastern hills of Fausseflammes known for its silver mines.

Ethnic groups:
1000 AC - Orkarian 70%, Averoignian 25%, Flaem 3%, Other 2%
1014 AC - Orkarian 68%, Averoignian 23%, Thyatian 5%, Flaem 3%, Other 1%

Languages:
Thyatian common, Orkarian, Averoignian

Ruler:
1000 AC - Sire Giles Grenier (born 947, M9, 2nd Circle Witch, AL - Neutral)
1014 AC - Sire Niccolo Galateo (born 968, M22, WTI 7, AL - Neutral)

House:
1000 AC - Sylaire
1014 AC - Morlay

Military:
Fausseflammes maintains a full time force of 30 level 2 Fighters that enforce the laws of Glantri and Fausseflammes within the borders of the dominion. They are equipped with riding horses, chain mail with swords and bows. They are known as the Vieille Garde and acts as a Constabulary for the Viscount. The Viscount also maintains an elite guard force with protects his tower near Orkari. The guard force consists of 10 F7 and 1 M7 which also serve as bodyguards for the Viscount.

Trails:
As Fausseflammes is a remote dominion tucked against the Kurish Massif Mountains there are no trails of note passing through Fausseflammes. Various poor quality trails connect the major villages of Fausseflammes and there exist a few trails leading to mining communities in the mountains around Fausseflammes. There is a trail leaving Fausseflammes which leads to Nandin and Sablestone which goes through Pelat Pass. The pass is open normally from mid spring to mid fall but has very little meaningful caravan traffic through it as it is too dangerous for transporting lumber between Fausseflammes and on to Sablestone through Nandin. The pass mainly just sees foot traffic and thus is rarely used.

Food:
Subsistence

Economics:
Fausseflammes has long been the primary logging resource for western Glantri. Its endless tracks of forests provide not only the needs of New Averoigne but for the Sablestone region. The large tracts of forest also hold large numbers of game animals and the new Viscount has a trade deal worked out with the Prince of Morlay-Malinbois to buy trapped game animals, especially deer and elk and have them transported to the forests of Morlay-Malinbois. The lead and silver mines of Fausseflammes bring in a nice income.

Fausseflammes Monthly Financial Ledger (figures from 1000 AC)

Main resources: 1 vegetable (lumber), 1 mineral (lead,silver)
2 hexes: forested hills, river; rural; pop. 420; tax 42 dc
3 hexes: forested hills, river; borderland; pop. 630; tax 31.5 dc
4 hexes: forested hills; borderland; pop. 560; tax 28 dc
Orkari: village; pop. 400; tax 40 dc

Total population: 820 villages/rural, 1190 borderland

Tax Income: 141.5 dc
Resource Income: 566 dc
Standard Income: 1132 dc
Council Tax: 367.9 dc
Net Cash: 339.6 dc
Overhead (35%): 118.9 dc
Available Cash: 220.7 dc

With 8490 XP/year, in 7 years (1007-1014) the Viscount could gain 59,430 XP on dominion XP alone, not rising in level (just short of M23, reaching it in 1015).

Alternate: 1698 XP/year. In 7 years (1007-1014) the Viscount could gain 11,886 XP on dominion XP alone, not rising in level.

History:
Viscounts of Fausseflammes:
Bttrie 845-993 b.? d.993

Giles Grenier 993-1007 b.947 d.1007

Niccolo Galateo 1007- b.968

The area of present day Fausseflammes was sparsely settled by the Flaem during their first centuries of living in the Highlands and was considered a formal part of the Kingdom of the Highlands. Not until the invasion of the Overlord in 512 did the region see significant settlement. After the defeat of the Overlord most of the Outerworlders under his control were returned to their home worlds, however several groups were not able to return. The Okarians, a blue skinned human like asexual race was one of them. Most Okarians decided to remain in the Highlands and settled in the western Highlands including the forests of present day Fausseflammes. Left to own their devices by the Flaemish the Okarians traded primarily with the Rzechians who were in need of lumber which the forests of the Orkarians had in abundance. The Orkarians established their main settlement in the area in a large clearing in the middle of the forested hills and named it Orkari.

Life in the forested hills was hard for the pacifistic Orkarians however as their non-violent beliefs, fostered by their collective shame for the violence they did in the name of the Overlord, were severely tested by the wild nature of the forested hills. The cycle of life in the forested hills was often dictated by destruction and rebuilding as settlements were often destroyed by humanoids or even more fearsome creatures and then rebuilt only to be destroyed and rebuilt again. Flaemish mercenaries were often employed by the Orkarians to try to help protect their settlements.

The Okarians continued their peaceful but turbulent lives for over 200 years until the region was flooded by nearly a thousand ‘Otherworlders’ who suddenly appeared right In the midst of their lands. The new arrivals were the Averoignians of Count Edoard d’Ambreville that had opened a gate from their world of Laterre and came through it to the Highlands. Quickly overcoming language difficulties through d’Ambreville magic permission was sought of the Okarians to settle among them. The Orkarian chieftain, seeing little choice, warmly received the Averoignians and gave them permission to settle in the Orkarian lands. The Averoignians at first established new settlements of their own close to the still functioning gate, but as the years progressed more and more Averoignians continued to arrive and they began to expand outward and settle alongside the Okarians and the forested hills around Orkari saw large numbers of Averoignian trappers arrive to hunt for wild game and valuable furs as well as Averoignians not restrained by pacifistic notions who helped protect the forests against marauding humanoids and the occasional larger threats of dragons and giants. The wooded hills and their Orkarian residents were peaceable annexed by the newly founded Kingdom of Noevelle Averoigne but King Edoard was highly respectful of the Orkarians and left the Orkarians to their own self rule at the local level asking only prompt payment of taxes which were always paid with no complaints by the Orkarians in large part for the protection the Averoignians provided in return to the Orkarian settlements.

Life continued pretty much unchanged in the wooded hills southwest of Noevelle Averoigne for years until the reign of King Etienne. Etienne like his grandfather held the Orkarians in great respect. Etienne, like his grandfather and father before him, originally refused offers to have Noevelle Averoigne become a part of the Republic of Glantri. However as the years passed King Etienne saw the benefits to joining Noevelle Averoigne to the new nation and after some intense negotiation Noevelle Averoigne became a Viscounty of the Republic of Glantri and Etienne its Viscount. As part of the deal Etienne arranged with the ruling Council a new dominion was created out of the southern wooded hills of the old Kingdom of Noevelle Averoigne. The Viscounty of Fausseflammes was created and Etienne was permitted to choose its new Viscount. Etienne chose one of his own students to be the new Viscount of Fausseflammes. Bttrie the young son of Grraahi, the long time family advisor and Grand Duke of the Kingdom of Noevelle Averoigne, became the new Viscount of Fausseflammes.

The reign of Bttrie saw an increase in population as many Orkarians came to Fausseflammes from Noevelle Averoigne to live under the rule of one of their own. The discovery of large veins of silver and lead in the hills of Fausseflammes also brought large numbers of Averoignians to Fausseflammes and new settlements sprung up to help support and facilitate the exploitation of the natural resources of Fausseflammes. Bttrie was a rarity among Orkarians however as only 1 in 200 Orkarians was found to have the affinity for magic so Bttrie was unable to sire an heir that would be able to inherit Fausseflammes. However the Orkarians were long lived, the longest lived living up to 250 years. Bttrie effectively ruled Fausseflammes for nearly 150 years; long enough to be reunited with his old master Etienne d’Ambreville, before passing away without a suitable heir in 993. The Viscounty of Fausseflammes thus came open for an Awards Festival for all the Barons of Glantri. The Council, recognizing the special nature of the majority Orkarian populated dominion showed great preference to keeping within House Sylaire and thus the Baron of Morlay, Giles Grenier, won the Awards Festival over the Barons of Egorn, Ezechiel Naramis, and Oxhill, Pieter Vandehaar and became the new Viscount of Fausseflammes.

The new Viscount of Fausseflammes had little interest in ruling or even living in Fausseflammes but he earned the respect of his dominion by appointing the mundaner eldest son of Bttrie, Mrrsion, as castellan of Fausseflammes in Greiner’s absence and to administer the dominion in the name of the Viscount who took up residence in Glantri City. Fausseflammes remained peaceful and profitable during the years of Grenier’s rule until the year 1005 when Glantri went to war with Alphatia. Glantri recognized the pacifistic nature of the Orkarians and did not require the Orkarian to serve in combat units but accepted Orkarian volunteers in logistic banners and many Orkarians did volunteer in non combat roles. The reign of Giles Grenier as Viscount of Fausseflammes ended however not long after the Great War started as he was killed in 1007 by a potion he had created. A healing potion he was creating for the Grand Army stocks went horribly wrong and poisoned the Viscount upon testing it who died before an antidote could be administered to him. Grenier had no children and died heirless so once again Fausseflammes came open for an Awards Festival.

Most of the newly elected nobles of AC 1006 declined to compete as some were in Alphatia as Glantri had launched a insurgency campaign of its own in Alphatia earlier in the year, some were still settling into their new dominions and nearly all had exhausted their finances campaigning for the new Baronies in the year previous. Three Barons did enter the Awards Festival and the Baron of Edleview Niccolo Galateo of House Sirrechia won the Awards Festival and soon shocked Glantrian circles by leaving House Sirrechia and joining the new House Morlay. Taking residence at Fausseflammes the new Viscount was the target of numerous assignation attempts over the first years of his rule and several foiled with help of the Orkarians who reported groups of obvious ‘outsiders’ who entered into Fausseflammes. The new Viscount, much like Grenier before him, had little interest in ruling Fausseflammes only for his personal magical research. Like Grenier he appointed Mrrsion to be his Castellan and rule the dominion in his name.

However Mrrsion was only to live another year as the Great Plague hit Glantri the next year and Mrrsion died along with thousands in Glantri and approximately 20% of Fausseflammes population. The years since the passing of the Great Plague and the end of the Great War have seen relative peace and stability return to Fausseflammes. Viscount Galateo still resides in the tower of Fausseflammes but has delegated administration to another Orkarian, Psilioni, who capably sees to the running of Fausseflammes. The people of Fausseflammes do worry about the future and hope their run of good luck will continue for like Grenier and Bttrie before him, the Viscount has no children or declared heirs, and the Orkarians wonder how long their good luck will continue of having understanding and benevolent rulers. For they know they are the exception more than the rule in Glantri.

Notable sites:
Orkari
Ruler Constable Jacques Baudet (born 981, F4/WFO5) Jacques is a recent appointee of Viscount Galateo and is a werefox. Jacques officially is responsible for maintaining law and order in the village of Orkari. Unofficially Jacques is head of the Fausseflammian equivalent of Prince Malachie’s Le Tribunal des Loups and making sure all lycanthropes within Fausseflammes adhere to the notions of Malachie’s’ Wolf Law.

Orkari is decent sized village which is 90% Orkarian and thus is a very dull yet safe place to visit. The village hasn’t seen a murder in over 15 years and the non-Orkarian visitors are warned by the Constable that those who disturb the peace and cause problems will be dealt with immediately and harshly with a good chance of being dealt with personally by the powerful Viscount himself. The village itself has little of note. Like all Averoignian settlers of any size it has a theater where stage productions and music concerts are regularly held. The local beverage, a strong Apple brandy, is beloved by all Fausseflammians and many in Noevelle Averoigne and is often the only beverage to be found in the inns and taverns in Orkari.

Dragon Woods
Dragon Woods is a dangerous area that all natives of Fausseflammes avoid. Located near the northern tip of Fausseflammes is a large area, nearly 18 square miles, of heavily wooded terrain that has long been home to a group of Green Dragons. It has been standing policy of the Viscounts of Fausseflammes for years to discourage anyone, especially visitors and would be dragon slayers from entering the woods. For the most part the Dragons keep to themselves and the last time one of the Greens was a problem for the people of Fausseflammes it was because the dragons were agitated that a party of would be slayers disturbed them. The exact number of Green Dragons in the woods is unknown but the likely ruler of the group is well known by the natives of Fausseflammes and she, a huge Green, is often seen flying high over the northern parts of Fausseflammes on her way or returning from hunting in the mountains.

The Nature Preserve
An 7 square mile area set off for the personal use of the Viscount of Fausseflammes. Locals are well aware that the woods in the area are off limits and any visitors to the area are warned to stay well away from these woods. No patrols from the Vieille Garde or any constables enforce the law, a felony, prohibited entry. It is understood that if anyone is found in those woods, it will be by the Viscount himself who is known to spend great deals of time alone there. And what happens to trespassers will be at the discretion of the Viscount.

Coat of Arms:

Useful links:
The Economy of Fausseflammes by Aleksei Andrievski
Niccolo Galateo, Morlay-Malinbois, Noevelle Averoigne, The history of the d’Ambreville family, Niccolo Galateo by Michael Berry

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:39 am

proud of this one. A facinating character BEGGING to be used, which I did in my campaign. Also this one took an entire day to write as it involved a crash course on learning every detail about lycanthropic characters hahaha

Niccolo Galateo
Viscount of Fausseflammes
AC 1014
By Michael Berry
“It took the blessing of contracting lycanthropy to finally purge the bad Thyatian blood...”

I. Appearance
Niccolo stands just over six feet tall and is thought to weigh in excess of 200 pounds and all of it reputed to be muscle. Galateo is fully bearded and with long hair to his shoulders. He has purple eyes and black hair and olive skinned complexion to his skin. Niccolo rarely wears jewelry of any type and often dresses in wizard robes favoring those in neutral earth tones. While not favoring jewelry Niccolo has a weakness for perfumes from Bergdhoven and can often be smelled before he is seen.

II. Personality & Quirks
Niccolo Galateo is a Weretiger and lycanthrope. He enjoys solitude and resides alone at his tower in Fausseflammes. Niccolo is not interested in women, or men, and attempts to match him with eligible women ended many years ago. Niccolo spends much of his time in Fausseflammes but spends much of his time outside his tower in his Weretiger form in his own nature preserve. When not in Weretiger form he spends time at his research facility also found in his preserve continuing to research lycanthropy.

The main social contact Niccolo has with the world around him is his time spends at the Great School of Magic where he helps support his research by teaching for several months a year at the Great School. While teaching at the Great School Niccolo is not seen socially outside of the School and is noteworthy for never attending parties, galas or other social events so beloved by other members of the nobility. He spends the rest of his days in Glantri City at the Great School; either in class teaching or in the various laboratories found at the Great School of Magic and is never seen out of the Great School at night.

III. History & Background
In 968 Niccolo Galateo was born in Glantri City to a Thyatian father and an Alphatian mother. Only the very few close to Niccolo know that his mother was the last pure descendent of the Padfoots, a pure blooded family of Alphatian natural shape shifters who traced their family line all the way back to Old Alphatia and could take the form of tigers at will. The ability was lost with Niccolo as his father’s impure bloodlines thus made his mother the last of a line of a family of natural shape shifters that had existed for thousands of years.

While not a pureblooded Alphatia Niccolo’s father was himself a capable wizard of no small account himself and had enjoyed a long distinguished career with the Grand Army of Glantri after graduating the Great School where he retired as Deputy Commander of Carnelia’s division. Niccolo had a happy childhood with both his parents doting on their son and living a comfortable life in Glantri City. Niccolo was found to have strong latent magical ability at age 5 and a year later was sent off to the Great School of Magic. While very close to his parents the separation for Niccolo obviously was not as rough as it was for some children as his mother and father taught part time at the Great School while he was enrolled.

Graduating with honors at age 16 in 984 Niccolo naturally found himself intrigued by the subject of shape shifting and especially lycanthropy and after graduating the Great School left with his mother for an extended working stay in Alphatia where he joined the Alphatian Center for Disease Control, a series of laboratories dedicated to researching lycanthropy and searching for a cure as well as monitoring Alphatia and the rest of Mystara for epidemics of know forms of lycanthropy and watching for the signs of new strains of the disease. Niccolo and his mother stayed in Alphatia for 11 years until his mother passed away in her sleep in 995 and mourning her loss deeply Niccolo chose to return to Glantri.

Upon returning to Glantri Niccolo was intrigued by the rumors of rampant lycanthropic activity in the hills in and around Noevelle Averoigne so he established himself at Fortress d’Ylourgne and attached himself to the Viceroy of the fort, Prince Innocenti Malapietra, who relied on him to act as an outside agent and spy upon his brother Agnostio who served as the Castellan of d’Ylourgne in Innocenti’s absence. Galateo gladly took the offer and the mission and used the opportunity to get information on what was going in the hills in and around Noevelle Averoigne. Niccolo used the substantial payments Prince Innocenti provided to establish his own well hidden laboratory in the hills around Fortress d’Ylourgne where he continued his own researches into lycanthropy. Finally in 998 Niccolo took the final step in his research and infected his self with tiger lycanthropy so he could study the disease first hand. During these years Galateo also determined that the legendary White Wolf was the Baron of Morlay and also determined, and secretly supported his plan to establish a Lycanthropic Principality in the Valley of the Wolves. Returning to Glantri gave Niccolo a few last years to spend with his father who also passed way in 1003 just prior to the Great War which offered great opportunities to Niccolo which he did not fail to act upon.

The declaration of war upon Glantri by Alphatia in 1005 sped Malachie du Marais’s plans seeing the opportunity to sell his plan of establishing a Lycanthropic Principality. While not particularly policially active nor with much pull, Innocenti was aghast at the idea and would have never been able to have been persuaded by a mere agent of his, Niccolo did lend his support financially and covertly helping to try to convince otherwise hesitant residents that lycanthropes were not all monsters. The measure passed the Council and Morlay-Malinbois was established as the 13th Glantrian Principality. A year later as the costs of the expanded Grand Army of Glantri began to eat at the Glantrian treasury a new measure that directly affected Niccolo Galateo was passed and with it Niccolo saw his opportunity to further himself and the cause of lycanthropes.

In 1006 the Council of Princes approves the creation of 8 new dominions. The Princes felt the new dominions would provide greater control of the population and needed increase in revenue tax with the massive increase in the Grand Army due to the war with Alphatia. As a side benefit the new dominions would also provide more balance to a Glantrian nobility structure that now had nearly as many Principalities as Baronies and Viscounties combined. The Viscounty of d’Ylourgne was created and the Fortress of d’Ylourgne was decommissioned. Prince Innocenti lost his Viceroyalty and Niccolo his job spying on the Princes’ brother and the tidy income that brought. Seeing an opportunity to join the nobility Niccolo decided to compete for one of the new Baronies. He won the Awards Festival to a new Barony created between the Baronies of Egorn and Oxhill in the Sablestone region and named it Edleview. Recognizing the support and help of Prince Innocenti and not being prepared to formally join House Morlay as he was inclined to do, the new Baron of Edleview declared his allegiance to House Sirrechia.

The new Baron of Edleview had barely moved into his newly constructed tower of Edleview when the game of Glantrian politics came calling. In 1007 the Viscount of Fausseflammes died without an heir after ingesting a potion that was poisonous. Most of the newly elected nobles of AC 1006 declined to compete as some were in Alphatia as Glantri launching a insurgency campaign of its own in Alphatia earlier in the year, some are still settling into their new dominions and nearly all exhausted their finances campaigning for the new Baronies just last year. Being rather wealthy from his parents success Niccolo decided to compete as Fausseflammes would have been a perfect dominion for him to rule. Three Barons entered the Awards Festival: Niccolo Galateo, Baron of Edleview; Juan Manuel Cagigal y Monserrat, Baron of Egorn; and Pieter Vandehaar, Baron of Oxhill. Prince Malachie after doing some mental calculations of the likely Council votes figured both Niccolo and Juan Manuel would be short which meant likely both will face off in a duel that Juan Manuel would likely win. Behind the scenes Malachie and Etienne approached Niccolo and worked out a 3 party deal with Prince Volospin. For his support, which he would not likely normally give a Thyatian; Niccolo would then leave House Sirrechia and join House Marais. Asked why he might agree to do so, Niccolo informed Prince Volospin of his mother’s heritage and that he has long been an agent of the Averoignian lycanthropes. Volospin agreed to vote for Niccolo IF he would agree to leave House Sirrechia. Niccolo agreed to the bargain and Niccolo was elected by the Council of Princes to be the new Viscount of Fausseflammes. Soon afterwards in Parliament Galateo announced he was leaving House Sirrechia and joining House Morlay, infuriating and embarrassing Prince Innocenti.

Niccolo spent the new few years settling into Fausseflammes, dealing with the Great Plague and avoiding numerous assassination attempts obviously initiated by the Prince of Caurenze. By the end of the Great War fewer attempts at Niccolo’s life were made and life settled down as he established himself in Fausseflammes and set aside a nature preserve for his own use where he established a new laboratory and spent much of his time in Weretiger form. However Niccolo was drawn again into the Machiavellian politics of Glantri when he was approached in 1011 by Prince Malachie and enlisted in a scheme to oust the hated, and most decidedly un-sympathetic to lycanthropes, Prince Henri of Noevelle Averoigne. Niccolo played his part to perfection and sacrificed his laboratory in the hills of Ylourgne to the cause and Henri was defeated by Isidore d’Ambreville at the dueling court and became the new Princess of Noevelle Averoigne and another lycanthrope on the Council of Princes. In the years since Princess Isidore took control of Noevelle Averoigne Niccolo has stayed clear of politics and though the occasional assassins still make attempts on his life he has settled into a perfect life of research, teaching and enjoying a peaceful wilderness dominion where he further his own lycanthropic interests.

IV. Web of Intrigue
Niccolo is very loyal to Prince Malachie and to a lesser extent the Princess of Noevelle Averoigne. He never attends the House of Lords or parliamentary session but his spokesman has been instructed to always follow Prince Malachie’s lead when it comes to votes. Galateo’s betrayal of Prince Innocenti is still not forgotten, much less forgiven by the Prince of Caurenze and he still commissions teams of assassins to try to kill the traitor to Caurenze. Niccolo is extremely hard to get at in Fausseflammes as Innocenti has discovered to his chagrin and so most attempt are made in Glantri City but even then the notoriously unsocial Viscount is still a hard target to reach as he spends most of his waking time inside the Great School and is rumored to teleport back and forth to Fausseflammes in the mornings and at night.

Otherwise Niccolo has little dealings with other nobles either professionally or personally. He was aware of the interest the Count of Wylon and previously Viscount of Ylourgne, Franz Lowenroth is rumored to have in him and after investigating him to find out why he might be, now Lowenroth, and especially his son, is now very much of interest to Galateo. Niccolo has learned of the fascination of the Count in big cats but the behavior of is son really intrigues Galateo and he believes there is something magical there and is considering reaching out to the Count as Galateo is probably one of the world’s leading experts on shape shifting and lycanthropy, as well as the history of Alphatian shape shifters.

V. Statistics & Style of Magic
Statistics: 22nd level Wizard (reaching 23rd Level in 1015), WTI7 (reaching 8th Level also in 1015);
Str 12, Int 18, Wis 11, Dex 12, Con 10, Chr 9; AL - Neutral
Languages: Thyatin Common, Alphatian, Averoignian, Orc, Dragon
Weapon Proficiencies: Dagger (skilled), Staff (skilled)
Skills(12): Alchemy (I), Alternative Magics (I), Knowledge of Lycanthropy (I+2), Alphatian History (I+2), Danger Sense (W+1), Animal Biology (I), Tracking (I)

Galateo though not a combat mage would prove to be a very formidable opponent in combat as he is a powerful spellcaster who is well versed in all the common offensive and defensive spells with the ability to transform at will into a high level Weretiger. Unlike many mages Niccolo would not hesitate to engage in hand to hand combat and would use a staff to defend himself.

‘I want you to get this traitor where he breathes! I want you to find this nancy-boy Galateo, I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! I want his tower burned to the GROUND! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna PISS ON HIS ASHES!’
(ummm… Prince Innocenti Malapietra)

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:47 am

and with that... one MAJOR sub project done. The bane of this project for me from the early days, and the cause of at least one major break from the project. the d'Ambrevilles and fixing their canoniacal lunacy. Fixed.

I notice I only have a hand full of Gaz3 dominions left to writeup, all of them directly tied in with Thar invasion work so I suppose it is time to return to that as well as the 1000-1020 Glantrian Almanac. I still have a number of western non-canon dominions to write up but I'll fill those in as breaks to the Thar and Almanac projects.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:49 am

Angelika Tatsu wrote:Good stuff. Love it! ♥
ahh.. slipped that in on me. Thanks!

A labor of love and fun outlet of creative energy it is :lol:

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Micky...Micky...I have missed you too... ;(
You've done quit a lot in my absence. :o
And though I am back from the hospital, I am still not 100%...so I go a bit slow.. :|
First reading through your expansive exploits, than trying to continue on the map sections we have left behind where we left them. :geek:
Then also trying to help in fusing your maps with mine :mrgreen:
Hope we speak soon. :lol:
I'll try to get online at least once a week...but circumstances permitting this may be more.
PM me if you desire to know more...i am willing to explain this to a rare few, and that group contains you if you so desire.

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:09 am

awesome man... just awesome!!! :lol:

Robin wrote:Micky...Micky...I have missed you too... ;(
You've done quit a lot in my absence. :o
And though I am back from the hospital, I am still not 100%...so I go a bit slow.. :|
First reading through your expansive exploits, than trying to continue on the map sections we have left behind where we left them. :geek:
Then also trying to help in fusing your maps with mine :mrgreen:
Hope we speak soon. :lol:
I'll try to get online at least once a week...but circumstances permitting this may be more.
PM me if you desire to know more...i am willing to explain this to a rare few, and that group contains you if you so desire.

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:55 am

:o wow...incomming....cats ( :lol: :mrgreen: ^_^ )
nice to be felt welcome :| ;)

Return to “Mystara”