[Hollow Moon] Ruminations Over a Blue Moon

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Chimpman
Hadozee

[Hollow Moon] Ruminations Over a Blue Moon

Post by Chimpman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:19 pm

Hi all,

I've had some conversations with Rotipher regarding the Hollow Moon setting and have her permission to share them with you here. The topics discussed cover issues in two separate threads already started (one for mapping/geography, and the other for cultures/nations):
Hollow Moon: Nearside, 40 miles per hex
[Hollow Moon] Nation Overview

What I'd like to do is reproduce our conversations here in their entirety, and then use this thread to mine data for the other two. Hopefully at some point Rotipher might stop by in person to contribute to the group discussion (so if you see her around give her a gentle prod in this direction ;) ).
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: [Hollow Moon] Ruminations Over a Blue Moon

Post by Chimpman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:24 pm

Rotipher wrote:Hi, there!
Chimpman wrote:I have a couple of questions for you regarding the Hollow Moon.
More than a couple, looks like. ;-) It's been a while since I thought about the HM in this kind of detail, but I'll do my best.

Your message was pretty long, and Hotmail's "Reply" window is pretty small, so I'll split my reply into two parts.

Chimpman wrote:Questions for Sharon:
1) There is a feature called the Archerusia Promontory that separates Tranquilitatis from Serenitatis.
There are some subsequent references about the location of the Kopru Dominarchy, one of which refers to the Straight Wall (which I assume to be the same as the Archerusia Promonotory) and another which refers to the SWPA range.
Yes, the Straight Wall extends out from that promontory. Amusingly, "Straight Wall" is the exact name given to a ridge at that location on my possibly-outdated moon map.

BM-AL wrote:In the subterranean hot springs of the Stofler-Walter-Purbach-Arzachel mountain range, giant clams and tubeworms which cluster round the spewing "black smokers" use chemoautotrophic bacteria to live on hydrogen sulphide, and these in turn provide nourishment for the kopru and a bewildering array of intermediate lifeforms... many of them extinct throughout the rest of the world, long before the Hollow Moon or even the dinosaurs ever existed. Slithery giant hagfishes, and relict trilobites unseen beyond the vents since the Cambrian, are among the least-alien of these freakish fossils come to life.
These two locations are separated by some distance and it doesn't seem likely that the Dominarchy extends through each. I'm assuming that the reference to the SWPA is correct, but I'm not sure.
The Dominarchy is intended to be the "big bad" menace of the HM setting, so yes, it's pretty large. The kopru live in an extensive network of geyser-flooded caverns that stretch along the length of that mountain range. (I'd meant to give it a name eventually, but naming the mountains/craters seemed like the best way to indicate where it's located on a real moon map.) The kopru's subjects range much farther out than they do: there's no distance limit on how far kopru can influence the minds of their thralls, once charmed, so their satrapies of humans and merfolk are located along the coastline and beyond, while they stick to the warmth of their mountains.

FWIW, "dominarchy" means government by direct mind-control over a nation's key movers and shakers, not necessarily the populace as a whole. The old Dominarchy on Mystara was huge, because kopru consider any nation they've infiltrated via their mental powers to be a "satrapy" of theirs, even if nobody else suspects they've done so. Nithia was once a kopru possession, by their definition, as they exerted considerable pull over its merchants and military officers, right under the noses of the pharaohs.

I'm currently drawing Copernicus as a fairly large island in the Midland Sea, but I'd like to get your input on this.
Copernicus is a HUGE mountain, Matera's version of Everest. On that basis, I'm assuming its base is wide enough that it abuts the crystalbarrens on its rimward face, though the Midland Sea does surround it on three sides. Land access to the crystalbarrens is actually kind of important to the cryions' culture, as they regard the mountain as holy and visit it regularly.

I actually drew a large portion of the map (mostly the crystlbarrens and seas) before going back and really reading (and understanding) your descriptions. I did this purposely, in order to see how much of my own visions matched with your own.

Hey, if I'd had more input like yours when I was writing this stuff, I might not have run out of mental steam and set the project aside! Any ideas you've got are more than welcome, the moreso in that it's been so long that my own "visions" are rather faded by now. :-)

Okay, that's about all that Hotmail will let me squeeze into this message. Check the next one for more answers, or at least more vague speculations.
In the case of the Straight, I figured that the naroness of the straight, coupled with the freezing properties of the crystal beneath it, might create an ice fringed passage between the two seas. I see this as being a very dangerous place, with the ice from the crystalbarrens being thawed and cracked constantly by nearby volcanic activity. In this case the straight would be very hazardous to traverse (what with all of the icebergs floating through it). What are your thoughts.
Sounds great! I honestly don't recall having worked out what that strait was like, but if it's virtually impassable to ships, that'll provide a good excuse for land-based caravans (and aranea windships?) taking up the slack in cargo transport. Plenty of hooks for adventures, there! :-)

Related to #3 above, there are several places (especially near the seas) where there are patches of barren crystal open on the landscape. Again, this stems from drawing the terrain before going into your descriptions in depth. What do you think about these scattered crystal patches?
Given how small the HM setting is, I'd rather limit the crystalbarrens' scope to the real moon's actual named Maria, leaving more space for somebody other than the cryions to eke out a living. An occasional bare patch might be useful as a terrain-obstacle for wilderness adventures, so if a DM wants to put a mini-crystalbarren on a regional map, that's fine. But Matera needs some conventional flatlands also, so I'd interpreted most such lowlands as soil-covered and lightly vegetated with moss and shrubs, or grasses in the Midlands.

What kind of terrain should be around the Altai Scarp? I'm not sure I'm happy with my current depiction. Should it be more rocky, or should it be more woodsy? If you could provide some input here that would be great.
IIRC, that's the region where the aranea -- exiles from Herath, who'd resisted their fellows' plans to hide in humanoid form -- have been living. If so, I'd imagined it as a very rugged area, full of steep canyons and buttes, but blanketed with scraggly pine forests. Lots of verticality to the terrain, suited to anchoring web-cities and parking windships.

What is the nation of Thebit? It is mentioned as one of three magocracies in the HM, but then no other mention of it is made. Could Thebit have something to do with the albheldri islands or the Nephthisians?
Thebit is one of the southernmost of the city-states within the Adhuzan Dominions, which is what non-kopru call the Dominarchy. Its inhabitants are descended from Nithians, whose ancestors converted to the kopru's puppet "Adhuzan" religion and were driven from their homeland, eventually settling in Vulcania with a bunch of the kopru's other subject-peoples. So far as human history records it, Thebit was founded by wizards, and the prevalence of arcane magic there makes it a likely starting point for any attempt to break the kopru's control over their satrapies. The Nephthisian exiles do have a presence there, although their faith is not very popular in most Adhuzan settlements due to kopru-spread propaganda.

2) Who (and what) are the margasta tribes? I'm pretty sure that they aren't human, but have no idea what they are, or where (and when) they come from. There is one sentence comparing them to the Nithians, and another calling them witch-wary (which might suggest some kind of contact with the Nephthisians), but that is all.
They're Hollow Moon rakasta. Rather small and timid, compared to most of the Mystaran breeds, which is why more aggressive species drove them extinct there; their closest cousins are the ocelot-breed from that old Dragon article on rakasta subraces, so I named them for margeys. Simple hunter-fisher tribesfolk, very good at hiding and slinking around, with a deep fear of curses and bad luck.

Hey, it's a nocturnal game-setting! Cat-people certainly belong there. :-)

3) I'm assuming that the Nephthisians live on the albheldri islands (Haemus?) with their albierendi allies, but I could be wrong. Since the cryions brought them into the Hollow Moon, I always assumed that they would have some contact with those creatures once they settled, but placement on the Haemus might make that unlikely.
The Nephthisians and cryions do get along, but they can't endure each others' habitats for very long, so contact is necessarily limited. The Haemus Isles were one of the safest human-populated regions for the exiles to settle down in, at the time -- most humans in the HM are of more recent origin than the Nephthisians -- so that's where the exiles had to settle if they were to live among their own kind. But the albheldi are good sailors, so the Nephthisians' albinoid descendents can sail to Mt. Copernicus or the icy sea/crystalbarren borderline if they need to contact the cryions.
4) There are 5 human nations mentioned specifically - Deslandres and Vedal, Cynidicea and Qaurikka, and the albheldri islands. Cynidicea and Qaurikka are easy enough.

Yep, those are pretty self-explanatory. The Qaurikka are your basic cold-climate barbarians, who only wound up in the Hollow Moon because their culture was too caught up in battling the "terrors of the night" to translate to a Hollow World life. The Cynidiceans' arrival was actually written into Geoff's historical timeline for the Lost City.
I'm assuming that the albheldri are the albierendi albinos that left with the Nephthisians (but I could be wrong), and that both those human populations are located on the above mentioned islands.
Just one human population, by this point. The albheldri/albharendi strain of albinism is genetically dominant, which is why it didn't die out ages ago, and the Haemus Isle Nephthisians and their albino shipwrights have long since intermarried to a point where all their physical and cultural differences have vanished. As the albheldri's ancestors were selectively bred by Taymoran vampires to have superior night vision, it's to the Nephthisians' benefit that their populations blended.

Likewise I'm also assuming (based mostly on their name and the fact that their society contains Bhuts) that the Vedal originated somewhere near Hule or Sind.
From Sind, originally. Remember how the Sindhis rose up and ousted all those evil shapechangers from power, that used to rule their nation? Most of the imposters could vanish into the population, but bhuts on Mystara don't actually control when they take on a monstrous form. Their kind always change at nightfall, which means that once their cover was blown, they were easy pickings for vengeful Sind heroes. While some fled to Hule, their patron Immortal Jammudharrah successfully perssuaded Ka that evil races had a right to be preserved from extinction too, so the last bhuts in Sind were brought to Matera -- an environment where the usual day/night boundaries are blurred, allowing them far more control over their forms -- along with a human food supply. Think Nepal, for culture.

That leaves Deslandres. Where are these people from? Unfortunately the name gives us no hint (since it is a moon reference and not a Mystaran one).
Deslandres is where the Toroldorskis settled. They're ethnic Traladarans who were brought there to escape the cultural subjugation by Thyatis which had seemed likely, before Stefan proved to be so open-minded. They could've gone to the Hollow World instead, but Halav wanted them to still have a chance to attain the "Golden Age" they'd been dreaming about for centuries, which the Spell of Preservation would have balked. Think Poland at the height of its power, with the addition of a Neutral goblin minority whose presence has caused Halav and Zirchev to argue a lot.

Also related to this there are other human populations/countries mentioned in other passages - Toroldorsk and the Trade Cities, as well as original Alphatian bloodlines. The Alphers can be sprinkled among many of the other peoples from the Trade Cities, to Vedal, and possibly even some amongst the Cynidicea. I'm assuming that most other one shot references to human populations get placed in or near the Trade Cities - this would include the Rodemus family from Thyatis - since those cities are mentioned as melting pots that are open and accepting of strangers.
The Trade Cities are cosmopolitan enough that they'll accept just about anyone, so that's indeed where most humans without another Materan homeland (Alphers included) would be found. The Cacklogallinians will hire just about anyone who's got a strong back and can refrain from chicken jokes.

Humans are also common in the Adhuzan Dominions, but they aren't actually the dominant influence, even discounting the kopru: it's the merfolk who are at the top of the pecking order, and there's a city-state of minotaurs as well as several of humans and one of Kogalor dwarves. Many of the human figurehead-rulers have a merfolk ancestor, much like the Queen of Aquas on Mystara does. Orc slaves are also common in the Dominarchy's territories, and these have been ground down by their masters for so long that they've lost virtually all their savagery and spirit.

I didn't include the Adhuzan humans in my list of human cultures imported, BTW, because it wasn't the humans that the Dominarchy was brought to Matera to preserve, so much as the multicultural society on Vulcania which the kopru had created, in bringing representatives of all their satrapies together there. Sadly, if they'd just taken the other races and left the kopru behind, then the entire social structure would've collapsed, so the Immortals had to bring the puppetmasters along with the puppets.

Whew! Long time since I've reviewed this stuff, but it's good to be reminded of it all. Thanks, Chimpman! :D
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:27 pm

[EDIT: Silly me, I forgot to post my original response. Rotiphers reply has been bumped to the next post in this thread.]
Chimpman wrote:Hi Rotipher!

Thanks for the response! I think I'm getting a much better sense of overall Hollow Moon interactions already.

Rotipher wrote:Yes, the Straight Wall extends out from that promontory. Amusingly, "Straight Wall" is the exact name given to a ridge at that location on my possibly-outdated moon map.

How far Nearward would you say that the Straight Wall extends?
Rotipher wrote:The kopru's subjects range much farther out than they do: there's no distance limit on how far kopru can influence the minds of their thralls, once charmed, so their satrapies of humans and merfolk are located along the coastline and beyond, while they stick to the warmth of their mountains.

Ok, this makes a lot of sense to me. You mention merfolk (which I'm assuming live in the Spindrift Sea), so it makes sense that the kopru's influence would extend from the SWPA range to the shores of that ocean (and to its depths as well). From the kopru's point of view would Shaergarde and the Vesper Elves (and the perhaps even the aardovoi of the Rilles) also fall within their domain?

At one point in your previous articles you also mention that the only thing keeping the kopru in check was Shaergarde and the humans of Deslandres (Toroldorsk). Does this mean that those cultures know about kopru mind control and actively work against it?
Rotipher wrote:Copernicus is a HUGE mountain, Matera's version of Everest. On that basis, I'm assuming its base is wide enough that it abuts the crystalbarrens on its rimward face, though the Midland Sea does surround it on three sides. Land access to the crystalbarrens is actually kind of important to the cryions' culture, as they regard the mountain as holy and visit it regularly.

It's funny because on my first iteration Mt Copernicus was attached to the crystalbarrens exactly as you describe. It was only after reading the blurb about the Carpathian Archipelago that I went back and re-worked it (since the Carpatians are directly rimward of Copernicus). Do you recall any plans that you had for that island group? Could the cryions hop through that island chain during the pilgramage to their sacred mountain? It wouldn't be quite as easy as sailing over directly from the crystal barrens, but it might make their journey slightly more meaningful (and possibly provide for some adventure ideas) if they had to cross two seas (one crystal and one water) instead of just one in order to reach it.

Hmmm... looking at my map though I'm presented with a few alternate solutions. I've currently got Mt. C. on an island that extends way (HM) eastward, nearly touching the Apennines. I could probably shift that to the west a bit, moving the island away from the Apennines until it touches the western shore and basically makes Mt C a peninsula (I've been contemplating making that island smaller for quite a while now anyway). That should still allow the existence of the Carpathians as well as provide the cryions with direct access to their holy site.
Rotipher wrote:Given how small the HM setting is, I'd rather limit the crystalbarrens' scope to the real moon's actual named Maria, leaving more space for somebody other than the cryions to eke out a living. An occasional bare patch might be useful as a terrain-obstacle for wilderness adventures, so if a DM wants to put a mini-crystalbarren on a regional map, that's fine. But Matera needs some conventional flatlands also, so I'd interpreted most such lowlands as soil-covered and lightly vegetated with moss and shrubs, or grasses in the Midlands.

I think we're on the same page here. The "extra crystalbarrens" I'm talking about are just a few splotchy areas that extend out from the main seas. I wouldn't cover entire flatland areas. I may go back to my map and make some of those splotches slightly smaller though, and some of them may be transformed into lakes as well depending.

That's all for now. Again this input really helps me in putting the map together, so I really appreciate it :D.

Oh... one other thing I have to ask you - is it alright if I share (cut and paste) this conversation with others on the Piazza boards? I know there are others out there following this map development with interest and I'm sure they'd love to see these tidbits of HM goodness.
Last edited by Chimpman on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:44 pm

Rotipher wrote:
Chimpman wrote:>How far Nearward would you say that the Straight Wall extends?

Hmmm. I double-checked the old map I'd been using, and it's actually the Promontory Taenarium that the Straight Wall is attached to. It's just to the Nearward side of a small crater called Birt, and runs nearly North/South from 20 to 25 degrees South lattitude.

Chimpman wrote:>Ok, this makes a lot of sense to me. You mention merfolk (which I'm assuming live in the Spindrift Sea), so it makes sense that the kopru's influence would extend from the SWPA range to the shores of that ocean (and to its depths as well).

Yep, the kopru naturally favor merfolk over "dryskins", so they set things up with the merfolk as the public face of their empire. Official humanoid histories attribute the merfolk's power to how easily they can either support or sabotage land-dwellers' navies and merchant fleets, as well as the strength of their Magi. (Even in BD&D, I'd intended to let the Adhuzan merfolk advance in the same character classes as humans, not as monsters a la the Creature Crucibles.) In reality, the kopru would infiltrate a vulnerable nation with their pawns, then stage a token coup or naval skirmish to justify the merfolk's laying claim to it.

Chimpman wrote:>From the kopru's point of view would Shaergarde and the Vesper Elves (and the perhaps even the aardovoi of the Rilles) also fall within their domain?

They'd like to claim both realms, but the vesper elves have proven difficult to exert their mental influence over, and aren't really heirarchical enough for conventional kopru tactics to work well there. The only way they could usurp power in the vesperlands as a whole would be to dominate the relic-keepers, but the vesper elves' relic (the Prism of All Colors) offers a great deal of protection to its caretakers' minds.

Chimpman wrote:>At one point in your previous articles you also mention that the only thing keeping the kopru in check was Shaergarde and the humans of Deslandres (Toroldorsk). Does this mean that those cultures know about kopru mind control and actively work against it?

The kopru haven't had much luck in Shaergarde, because the halflings have developed their own variant of the Five Shires' Denial ability. They can't dispel cast magics by yelling "No!", but if a halfling seems to be acting abnormal, another halfling can shout at them to "Wake up!", and they shake off whatever's affecting them. This Revival ability wasn't originally an anti-kopru defense -- Shaergarde's halflings already had some mental problems of their own to cope with, when the Hin Heroes sent them to the HM -- but it's proven to be useful for that purpose.

As for the Toroldorskis, the reason their nation is still independent actually has nothing to do with what they do or don't know. The immigrant Traladarans don't have any special weapons against mind-control. It's the presence of several clans of werewolves among them -- creatures which, for the time being, are loyal to King Casimir -- that's got the kopru worried: the last thing they want spreading through their satrapies is a plague of lycanthropy, because a werebeast in animal form becomes almost impossible to keep under control.

Chimpman wrote:>It's funny because on my first iteration Mt Copernicus was attached to the crystalbarrens exactly as you describe. It was only after reading the blurb about the Carpathian Archipelago that I went back and re-worked it (since the Carpatians are directly rimward of Copernicus).

Sorry, I guess the semantics weren't clear enough when I wrote that. "Archipelago" refers to islands of rock and soil within the crystalbarrens, not within a body of water. The cryions use a lot of oceanic imagery in their language and customs, even though they sail on crystal rather than liquid; worshipping an Immortal who happens to be a whale is largely to blame for that.

Chimpman wrote:>Do you recall any plans that you had for that island group? Could the cryions hop through that island chain during the pilgramage to their sacred mountain? It wouldn't be quite as easy as sailing over directly from the crystal barrens, but it might make their journey slightly more meaningful (and possibly provide for some adventure ideas) if they had to cross two seas (one crystal and one water) instead of just one in order to reach it.

Again, there isn't a sea around the Carpathian Archipelago, just crystal. But it's a pretty important region to them, as its thick lichens and its alpine streams give them a safe place to pasture their herds of reindeer and musk oxen while they visit the sacred mountain.

Basically, the cryions are herd-keepers who have to migrate from one patch of encrustation to another, so their herds can forage. There's nothing edible that can grow on naked crystal, although their herds' hooves allow the livestock to traverse it without damage. So they criss-cross the Oceanus Procellarum seasonally, in accordance with the prevailing winds at different stages of the Storm Cycle. Their routes bring them to Mt. Copernicus every 18 months, at which time they re-shuffle their travelling bands (mnelds) and inscribe the names of births and deaths on the mountain's face.

Incidentally, those cryions which emigrated to Mystara (trading ships with the Nephthisians) now live on the inside of the northern polar opening. They venture from the interior to the exterior of the planet, or vice versa, every 18 months, to honor their old homeland's migratory traditions. That's why the description of cryions in the Creature Catalog says they only visit northern settlements once every three years: that's how often they leave the shadowlands to visit the outside of the planet. Their "unprovoked" attacks on villages are actually a response to their observing signs of whale-killing by villagers.

Chimpman wrote:>I think we're on the same page here. The "extra crystalbarrens" I'm talking about are just a few splotchy areas that extend out from the main seas. I wouldn't cover entire flatland areas. I may go back to my map and make some of those splotches slightly smaller though, and some of them may be transformed into lakes as well depending.

Whatever works for your maps is fine. Really, I just threw a bunch of ideas together, then found places on the map where they'd fit. Quite often, I decided which terrain was crystalbarren and which was something else, based on whether the names on the map were interesting; that's how the Marsh of Putrescence came to be, for example. If you've got any particular areas you aren't sure about, just ask!

Chimpman wrote:>Oh... one other thing I have to ask you - is it alright if I share (cut and paste) this conversation with others on the Piazza boards? I know there are others out there following this map development with interest and I'm sure they'd love to see these tidbits of HM goodness.

Sure, go ahead! I'd never actually intended to monopolize this project as much as I did, and I'm unlikely to get back to writing it any time in the foreseeable future, so we may as well throw it open for other Mystara fans to develop. I'll try to stop by the Piazza from time to time, and explain what I'd originally intended to do with particular regions or cultures.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:24 pm

John - this is great! Kudos to you for bringing the HM setting back to life, and kudos to Sharon (again) for creating it in the first place. I really wish I hadn't lost all those old emails when I changed jobs, as there were tons of old conversations about the HM that might have been relevant here. Still, I may have some things kicking around, as I'm a real e-packrat.

Geoff
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:43 pm

That reminds me... I think I still have some conversations from around 2005 that I'd like to share with people. Lots of discussion about the kopru. I'll have to dig those out as well, but I'll post those in a separate thread as they touched on the HM, but also dealt a lot with Mystaran history.

Hehe... and I almost feel sorry for poor Rotipher... you're only seeing the first batch of questions that I've asked her. There's a whole other batch waiting to ambush her.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Return to “Mystara”