3E/4E/5E Mystara Product List (and Downloads)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII

Re: 3E/4E Mystara Product List

Postby Havard » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:29 am

Big Mac wrote:
Chimpman wrote:If nothing else, you could use that as a guideline, but I'm pretty sure there are other rules versions on the Vaults, as well as several monster lists and indexes.

Echohawk's Complete D&D Monster Index is an index that attempts to list every D&D monster and every D&D monster conversion.

You should be able to find all Mystara conversions, either those on Vaults of Pandius or those done elsewhere, in Echohawk's index.

Echohawk is also helping out with the Creature Catalogue team (at ENWorld). They are converting all unconverted monsters to 3e stats. If there are missing monsters, they will get them done at some point.

If someone had a lot of time, it would be cool to have a thread here on The Piazza listing every single monster of Mystara with links to the conversions at Pandius, ENWorld and elsewhere. Preferably in the table format.

Just saying... ;)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: 3E/4E Mystara Product List

Postby Hugin » Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:31 pm

Havard wrote:If someone had a lot of time, it would be cool to have a thread here on The Piazza listing every single monster of Mystara with links to the conversions at Pandius, ENWorld and elsewhere. Preferably in the table format.

Well, this would be good start, I'd think.

Consolidated Creature Conversion Index
Hugin
Green Dragon

Re: 3E/4E/5E Mystara Product List (and Downloads)

Postby NPCDave » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:40 pm

The Razor Coast adventure hardcover, called Heart of the Razor, contains an adventure for 5th level characters called The Black Spot. It is centered around a nel-thaggu, or brain collector. The adventure is quite good, and provides some insights into the race's culture, outlook and technology, or at least one author's (Gary McBride) of what it might be.

It features a nel-thaggu craft which has been disabled, and aspects of clockwork technology, animated objects which act like constructs, necromancy and biotech monsters and weapons.

The adventure is stand-alone and easily set anywhere in Mystara's oceans or even a large lake.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:40 pm

Very cool discovery David! I am curious to see what a Nel-thaggu craft might look like.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby NPCDave » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:00 pm

It comes across a bit like a space ship, but the only map of it is after it has had significant sections of it destroyed. When it crossed the dimensional/planar barriers to arrive it materialized inside a coral reef.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:53 pm

Isle of Dread Walkthrough Map (Isle of Dread) added to the D&D Next list (with link in OP).

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Morfie » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:16 am

Pathfinder Bestiary 4 will be including the Nosferatu. :)

http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lffe?Bestiary-4-Table-of-Contents
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:52 am

The Pathfinder Nosferatu is a somewhat different beast than the Mystara one. It's more in line with the 1922 movie Nosferatu featuring Max Schreck, whereas the Mystara version is essentially a powerful vampire that can go abroad by daylight (and is itself somewhat more in keeping with Dracula from Bram Stoker's seminal novel).
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby agathokles » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:The Pathfinder Nosferatu is a somewhat different beast than the Mystara one. It's more in line with the 1922 movie Nosferatu featuring Max Schreck, whereas the Mystara version is essentially a powerful vampire that can go abroad by daylight (and is itself somewhat more in keeping with Dracula from Bram Stoker's seminal novel).

I don't know about Pathfinder, but Mystaran Nosferatu are essentially non-level-draining vampires designed to work more as NPCs than as monsters (e.g., they keep their class abilities). Their resistance to daylight is developed as they age, though, so young Nosferatu cannot go out in daylight, while old ones like Zemiros Sulescu can.

GP
agathokles
Blue Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:12 pm

Update:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby NPCDave » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:46 am

So I have been reading through the first adventure of the new Pathfinder AP called Iron Gods. This is Pathfinder #85 Fires of Creation, and the entire AP revolves around a crashed alien spaceship on Paizo's Golarion world, bringing back themes from Blackmoor and Greyhawk.

But I also note something of interest that will be showing up in Part #4 of this six part AP. In Fires of Creation, the reason that the ship crashed thousands of years ago is because it encountered another alien race known as the Dominion of the Black. This Dominion controlled a particular region of space at the time, and the spaceship had to fight off the Dominion. It managed to hyperdrive and escape across the universe into another galaxy where Golarion resides, and there it crashed.

Now the Dominion of the Black is not described, but they will be appearing in Part #4. The title of the adventure for Part #4...Valley of the Brain Collectors.

Other aliens are mentioned, so the brain collectors may not actually be the Dominion, but we will find out in about three months.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby shesheyan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:52 am

Sadly, it seems that many of the links pointing to the WoTC site are now broken. Ex: Isle of Dread Walkthrough Map (Isle of Dread)
shesheyan
Stone Giant

Postby Ashtagon » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:11 pm

shesheyan wrote:Sadly, it seems that many of the links pointing to the WoTC site are now broken. Ex: Isle of Dread Walkthrough Map (Isle of Dread)

A lot of those work if you replace www.wizards.com with archive.wizards.com
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Thanks, that helps Ash, but unfortunately it doesnt work for all of them.

Anyway, here is the Isle of Dread one: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/map_isledreadth.jpg

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:14 pm

NPCDave wrote:So I have been reading through the first adventure of the new Pathfinder AP called Iron Gods. This is Pathfinder #85 Fires of Creation, and the entire AP revolves around a crashed alien spaceship on Paizo's Golarion world, bringing back themes from Blackmoor and Greyhawk.

But I also note something of interest that will be showing up in Part #4 of this six part AP. In Fires of Creation, the reason that the ship crashed thousands of years ago is because it encountered another alien race known as the Dominion of the Black. This Dominion controlled a particular region of space at the time, and the spaceship had to fight off the Dominion. It managed to hyperdrive and escape across the universe into another galaxy where Golarion resides, and there it crashed.

Now the Dominion of the Black is not described, but they will be appearing in Part #4. The title of the adventure for Part #4...Valley of the Brain Collectors.

Other aliens are mentioned, so the brain collectors may not actually be the Dominion, but we will find out in about three months.

Awesome find! I started a separate thread about this here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12577

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:22 pm

The Pathfinder Bestiary 4 also includes the Colossus from Castle Amber (as "Colossus, Flesh"). 'There are also stats for the juggernaut, more magical but not terribly different from the ones in the Creature Catalogue. There are pookas, too.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:02 am

ripvanwormer wrote:The Pathfinder Bestiary 4 also includes the Colossus from Castle Amber (as "Colossus, Flesh"). 'There are also stats for the juggernaut, more magical but not terribly different from the ones in the Creature Catalogue. There are pookas, too.

Great find! I have added it to the list.

Thanks! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:26 pm

Updated to include the Hackmaster books referencing Mystara.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby NPCDave » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:02 am

I just recalled that when 3E was released, WotC had Stephen Kenson update Stefan Karameikos to 3E.

The page is saved on Pandus here.

http://www.pandius.com/stefan.html

I can't recall if any other NPCs were done, but it was the only 3E on the list at Pandus which isn't credited to the MML or the MMB.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:46 pm

Added to the list. Thanks to Birchbeer for sharing! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:06 pm

For some reason I had skipped the core books:

I find it interesting which creatures I consider iconic Mystaran monsters and not. All of these were found in the Creature Catalog and were not mainstream AD&D monsters AFAIK.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Entry updated:

• D&D 4E Demonomicon (Yeenonoghu Death Pack, Ulgurshek - Draeden introduced in 3rd Ed's Fiendish Codex I: mention only)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby NPCDave » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:41 am

I have some general fixes and notations for updating the first page...

Havard wrote:WotC 5E/D&D Next Books with Mystara Teasers
[*]D&D Next Playtest Files September 2012 (Caves of Chaos)
[*]D&D Next Playtest Files October 2012 (Isle of Dread)

These two are being hosted online but the source is of dubious legality. I assume you won't want links to such but they are out there.
[*]Isle of Dread Walkthrough Map (Isle of Dread)[/list]

You can no longer view the whole map at WotC, I believe, although you can purchase the map print at
https://store.mockman.com/collections/w ... map-prints

WotC 4E Books with Mystara Teasers
  • Wizards Presents: Worlds and Monsters (Isle of Dread, Orcus)

A legal preview of this book allows you to download the pdf for the Isle of Dread piece here...
http://dnd4.com/worlds-and-monsters-4th-edition-preview

• D&D 4E Demonomicon (Yeenonoghu Death Pack, Ulgurshek - Draeden introduced in 3rd Ed's Fiendish Codex I: mention only)

• Ulgurshek is still the name of the 92nd layer of the Abyss, but the draeden is not mentioned.

• Dragon # 418 has stats for the Thoul, Rhagoddessa, Decapus and Magen. Palace of the Silver Princess and Halls of Amber mentioned. (DDI Subscribers only)
  • Dungeon #195 has stats for Dusanu and Vampire rose. (DDI subscribers only)
  • "Playing with Gnolls", Dragon #367 - information about Gnolls and references to Yeenoghu

• Now these issues are available at DriveThru RPG.

WotC 4E Free Downloads

Link broken, see here http://web.archive.org/web/201511101303 ... /20081017a

Link broken, now found here http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Elder_Evils_4E.pdf

Links broken, for Season 3 Keep on the Borderlands, see here http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/121 ... ters-15-4e

• Monster Makeover: Shademaw of the Isle of Dread: http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... t/20110421

• Link broken, see here https://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/MonsterMakeover1.pdf

WotC 3E Books with Mystara Teasers

Add Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords...very brief one sentence mention of the Isle of Dawn. p139

WotC 3E Free Downloads & Web Articles

Link broken, see here http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp? ... /20070223a

• Night of the Straw Men http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/duad/20080507 (Set in Glantri)

• Link broken, see here, but note that the pdfs can't be downloaded from it...https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d ... 2F20080507
    Should also be noted as set in Karameikos, see here http://pandius.com/notstrwm.html

• Vaults of Catharandamus Map http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ag/20060331a (B3 sequel)

• Link broken, see here http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp? ... /20060331a

• Essence of Evil http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... d/20071221 (adaptations to Mystara, includes reference to Outer Beings).

• Link broken, hosted elsewhere, but legality questionable

Dragon Magazine Articles (Paizo)
  • Dragon # 359 World Serpent Inn, Savage Tides Contents

• World Serpent Inn is actually found in Dragon Magazine #351.

Green Ronin
    • Denizens of Freeport: Describes Alfhild the Northwoman Raider, a character who may very well be the fiance of Ragnar of Soderfjord.
    • Focus on Freeport #15: Describes Countess d'Ambreville.

Legal download for Focus on Freeport #15 is found here http://freeronin.com/gr_files/focus15.pdf

Alfhild and Ragnar are both further described in Buccaneers of Freeport which makes clear they are from a general Norse kingdom, not Soderfjord.

Kenzer & Company
    • Hackmaster: Little Keep on the Borderlands - Details a version of the Keep on the Borderlands
    • Hackmaster: Gawds & Demi-Gawds -Features a parody version of Rad and other Immortals.

Rad is the only Immortal, along with Mystaros, that is fleshed out.

Should we include the Hackmaster version of B1 In Search of the Unknown? And Pacesetter Games sequel to B1, Legacy of the Unknown?
    NPCDave
    Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:21 pm

NPCDave wrote:I have some general fixes and notations for updating the first page...

Thanks for the fixed links and corrections. That is very helpful. :)
    I will get around to updating the OP as soon as possible.

As you suggest, we should probably not include links of questionable legality. Ashtagon has been pretty clear on that where the rules of The Piazza are concerned.

Add Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords...very brief one sentence mention of the Isle of Dawn. p139

This is a great find! There are even more Mystara references in that book as it turns out. I started a separate thread for that here.

Should we include the Hackmaster version of B1 In Search of the Unknown? And Pacesetter Games sequel to B1, Legacy of the Unknown?

I have included some Hackmaster material, but so far I have not listed any OSR material with nods to Mystara as this thread focused on 3E and beyond while those modules are typically written for TSR era D&D or AD&D. On the other hand, we might as well add in those as well. There is also the Shire of Aleena, RC Pinnel's Wereskalot, a few Keep on the Borderlands tributes etc....

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
    My moderator voice is
    GREEN.
    Havard
    Dragon Turtle

Postby NPCDave » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:57 pm

I learned (thanks to JnC) that WotC also did a 2006 April Fool's Joke for the Hollow World...

Back by popular demand, look for the next RPGA campaign starting in spring 2007: Living Hollow World. Fans of this unique setting can expect a triumphant return to the strange world-within-the-world… including the pikemen of the Milenian Empire, the mysterious pyramids of the Nithians, and the strong and savage Azcans! In 2007, the known world isn’t flat—but it is hollow!
    NPCDave
    Stone Giant

PreviousNext

Return to Mystara