[FC:Specularum] History of Specularum

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

agathokles
Red Dragon

[FC:Specularum] History of Specularum

Post by agathokles » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi all,
here is a draft of the timeline of Specularum, from the prehistory up to 1000 AC. Right now, it is mostly a selection of the events in my Traladaran Timeline, rephrased from a Specularum/Marilenev point of view, but I've also added some earlier events.
Of course, I'd like to add more events, so if you can think of any, feel free to post it :)

GP

History of Specularum

BC 2500 At this time, the future site of the Duke's castle in Specularum is occupied by a Fomorian homestead.

BC 2250 The Sheyallia elves reach Taymora. The local Necromancer Kings offer them the lands to the east of their nation, provided that they help opening new trade routes. Elven mercenary companies, armed with Taymoran bronze weaponry, invade the giant-held forests and mountains, chasing the giants from the region. The Giant-kin homestead becomes a river fort manned by elves and Taymoran humans.

BC 2100 Fomorian slaves are put at work, transforming the wooden fort into a stone fortress.

BC 1750 Taymor sinks under the waves. The few survivors reach the new coast, immediately to the south of the future site of Specularum. The earthquakes that destroy Taymor also bring the fall of the Fomorian-built fortress, and the formation of Mirror Bay.

BC 1500 The Nithian-led Traldar people uses the remains of the Fomorian fortress to build a massive tomb after the death of their first prince, Khmin. A fortified village, Os-Khmin (Throne of Khmin) is also founded nearby (on the site of the modern Church District).

BC 1400 A series of harsh winters, plagues, and attacks from native monsters has destroyed the Nithian aristocracy and turned the Traldar back to the stone age. The Hutaakans take over the village, and a Hutaakan priest settles in the abandoned fortified area. By this time, the tomb of Khmin has fallen into disrepair, and only its top half emerges from the ground.

BC 1100 The village of Marilenev is now a firmly established walled town, ruled by a dynasty of Traldar kings under the supervision of Hutaakan priests.

BC 1000 The Hutaakan priests seal the temple of Pflarr and leave Marilenev, fearing the destruction brought by the Beastman invasion. King Milen and his advisors, warned by Halav of Lavv of the impending invasion, choose to flee rather than fight. Marilenev loses three quarters its population, though it is not reached by the Beastman army, which is defeated eight years later on the river Volaga.

BC 800 Vandar tribesmen from the Hin lands reach Marilenev, settling the site Stronghold district. The Traldar kings welcome them to help repopulate the town.

BC 500 The fusion of Vandars and Traldars has brought to a new people, the Traladarans. The people of Marilenev starts trading with other villages upriver and on the coast.

AC 1 The population of Marilenev rises, and the town is now the major trade center of Traladara. Its princes (Ban) conquer the area that is now the Estate of Marilenev. The Banate of Marilenev is founded, under the Ivanovich dynasty.

AC 301-356 Bogdan Ivanovich, Ban of Marilenev, claims the title of King of Traladara. He manages to bring under his heel several clans, but the kingdom dissolves at Ivanovich's death.

AC 400 Thyatian missionary clerics reach Marilenev and other major towns in Traladara. A first Thyatian shrine is established in the Church district, on the site of the modern Cathedral of Karameikos. The Cathedral of Traladara is built only a few years later.

Meanwhile, the Merchants' Guild, the Leathersellers' Guild and the Skinners' Guild are formed to regulate trade with the northern lands.

AC 410 Merchants from New Alphatia bring lycanthropy and vampirism to Traladara. At the same time, the descendants of the Taymoran Nosferatu resurface. Marilenev suffers greatly from both plagues.

AC 412-417 The Bans of Marilenev lead various leagues of Traladaran city-states in the First Traladaran War against the Kingdom of Darokin. A modernization effort leads to adoption of Thyatian customs. The Banate of Marilenev becomes the Duchy of Marilenev.

AC 444-450 Religious conflicts within the Church of Traladara and political manipulation by the Harbortown envoys leads to the Second Traladaran War, which pits Marilenev against Halag. The Dukes of Marilenev wins thank to Harbortown's support. Marilenev becomes the primary coastal town of Traladara, expanding its influence on Dmitrov, Vidrin and Sulescu.
In Marilenev, the Order of St. Kruskiev hides its heterodox teaching by preserving a strong oral tradition in parallel with the ortodox, Thyatian-influenced written tradition of religious texts.

AC 474-493 Duke Demara of Halavos is acknowledged as King of Traladara by the northern barons. The Duke of Marilenev refuses to acknowledge the claimant, who allies with Darokin, leading to the Third and Fourth Traladaran War. Once more, the league of southern lords emerges victorious, weakening Halavos and Halag and strengthening Marilenev.

The Moneychangers' Guild and the Armorers' Guild are also chartered at the end of the war.

AC 494 The Scriveners' Guild is chartered.

AC 500-530 The Duchy of Marilenev reaches the height of its power. During this time, Marilenev is the capitol of the Traladaran League, a formal association of Traladaran lords who assembly in the Diet of Marilenev to take decisions on foreign affairs.

The Bakers' Guild is also chartered at this time, leading other tradesmen to form their own guilds in the VI century.

AC 590-600 The Great Drought. A series of successive droughts threatens the farmers in what is now the North End. The legend of the Weary Water Diviner tells of a man who vowed not to rest or drink until a well could be found, and died of exhaustion and dehydration during this time.
The Great Drought also causes widespread famine across Traladara. The inhabitants of regions heavily hit by the draught turn to banditry, as the lords of domains less affected refuse to lend help. This leads to increased strife among the Traladaran clans.

AC 600 The Traladaran League is finally dissolved due to dissension between the clans and the disappearance of the Darokin threat.

AC 612 The failure of the Traladaran League leaves the Duchy of Marilenev deprived of much of its political power. The trade guilds, led by the Radu family, oust Duke Alexandr Marilenev and replace the ducal government with an oligarchic republic, the City-State of Marilenev. The Marilenev family, led by Alexandr's sons, remains in control of the Estate of Marilenev, but is reduced in rank to being equal to the other great families, which in turn base their power on trade.

The Town Council (or Priorate) is formed to replace the Duke's authority.

AC 613 To prevent further droughts from affecting the local farmers, Guildmaster Petros Radu has an irrigation channel dug to provide a steady supply of water to the North End.

AC 675 Ilja Radu fortifies the Stronghold district, and starts a political campaign to extend the fortifications to whole town.

AC 681 As the Vampire Wars rage across Traladara, the Town Council of Marilenev finances the construction of the city walls.
The Bricklayers' Guild is chartered in return for support in the building project.

A few years later, the reduced trade with the north sends the Skinners and Leathersellers into a crisis. The Dyers and Tailors, up to this time junior members of those guilds, secede and form their own associations.
The Mariners' Guild is also formed as sea trade boosts, and the Apothecaries' Guild becomes a major guild as imports of spices and drugs from Minrothad and Thyatis increase.

While the town turns to the sea for most of its trade, and isolates itself from the rest of Traladara, the Marilenev clan takes part in the wars, forging new alliances and taking control of inland trade routes. By the end of the century, the Marilenev clan has recovered part of its status in the town, and pushes the town council to a more aggressive strategy against the vampire threat.

AC 728 An alliance including Marilenev, Vidrin and Selenica defeats the Black Count of the Moor.

AC 750 Favourable policies by the town council of Marilenev and the threat of war cause a large part of the rural population of Marilenev to settle within the walls of the city-state.

AC 802 Year of Infamy in the Highlands. Some Dwarven survivors settle in Marilenev. Syrklist Dwarves compete with the Traladaran moneychangers and jewellers. Due to the crowding of the city, Dwarves build the first blocks of the Foreign Quarter.

AC 860 At the height of the Selenican expansion, House Hallonica centralizes its embassy and trade agencies in Marilenev, constructing the Hallonica Building, at the time the most modern and prominent building in the city.

AC 900 The Emperor of Thyatis, Gabrionius IV, sends his legions in Traladara, and installs a governor in Marilenev, which is renamed Specularum. Garrisons are sent to the borderlands, with the goal of setting up spearheads for a campaign against the Darokinian successor states.
Selenican merchant houses are forced to retreat from Specularum. The Hallonica building is sold to Samuil Torenescu (father of Emmet Torenescu). Many Thyatians and Minrothaddans settle in the former Darokinian district.

AC 902 Governor General Flavian Osteropoulos charters the Goldsmiths' Guild, sapping the strength of the Moneychangers' Guild. As a reaction to anti-guild decrees and policies by Governor Osteropulos, some Traladaran merchants and guilders form a self-defense group, which will become the seed of the Veiled Society.

AC 903 Governor Osteropoulos charters the Bowyers' Guild to reduce the influence of the warlike Armorers' Guild.

AC 906 In one of his last decrees before returning to Thyatis, Governor Osteropoulos reduces the Armorers' Guild to minor guild status, and forms the Cutlers' Guild.

AC 908 The new Governor, Curtius Quadratus, launches a military campaign to pacify the rebellious western and northern fiefs. The riverside farmers near Specularum, left with little defenses, face attacks from bandits. Grypas Rullianus, a Thyatian noble warrior also known as the "Knight of the Griffon", helps the local farmers turn the tide.

AC 919 Elena Hessenberg, a Hattian colonist and explorer as well as a long time resident of Specularum, is named Governor General of the Province of Traladara.

AC 926 Governor General Iulius Bassus charters the Innkeepers', Vintners' and Fishmongers' Guilds.

AC 929 As the North End is now a residential area, the irrigation channel is filled to provide space for the Lesser Merchant District and Westron Alley.

AC 932 Grypas Rullianus dies and is interred near Mirror Bay.

AC 970 Stefan Karameikos III trades the Duchy of Machetos to Emperor Thincol for the Grand Duchy of Traladara and independence.

AC 971 The Radu, Torenescu and Marilenev clans rise against the new government, but fail. The clan Marilenev is almost destroyed. Thyatian exile and political philosopher Fabritius Luscinia dies in one of the many battles of the short lived revolution, as does Ivan Marilenev, the chief of the Marilenev clan.

AC 972 The Hightower is built to provide a rally point for the Phorsis Guard against Traladaran insurrections, as well as to serve as a lighthouse.

AC 973 Duke Stefan opens up trade relations with the Kingdom of Ierendi. Ierendian merchants swarm into Specularum, and many immigrants, temporary or permanent, settle in the Foreign Quarter. Also, the Darokinian House Hallonica buys back the Hallonica Building in the Foreign Quarter from the Torenescu clan, and opens an official branch in Specularum.

AC 980 Duke Stefan charters the Loggers's and Hunters' Guilds.

AC 987 Duke Stefan consolidates relations with the Emirates of Ylaruam. Mustapha ibn Ibrahim, an expert hazar adventurer and diplomat, is sent by the Caliph as an ambassador. Mustapha's activity leads many hazar merchants and craftsmen to settle in Specularum.

AC 991 The wizard Krollan, a counsellor of Duke Stefan, is murdered.

AC 996 Baron Desmond Kelvin I dies in a duel with the Ylari ambassador, Mustapha ibn Ibrahim. His son, Desmond II, is confirmed Baron of Kelvin. The ambassador is promptly recalled and replaced with Abdallah ibn Hamid, an experienced Alasiyan warrior of nomadic background.
Last edited by agathokles on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:26 am, edited 8 times in total.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Re: [FC:Specularum] History of Specularum

Post by Hugin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:34 pm

Interesting! Thanks for posting, agathokles.

There's nothing here that contradicts canon as far as I can see, is there?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:13 pm

Hugin wrote:Interesting! Thanks for posting, agathokles.

There's nothing here that contradicts canon as far as I can see, is there?
Uhm, I don't generally pay too much attention to these things, and the above shouldn't be considered an exhaustive (or exclusive) collection of canon references.
You might want to read the full Traladaran timeline on the Vaults for canon references (provided by Zendrolion). Of course, the early parts of the timeline above (per-BC 1500) refer to James Mishler's (and my own) version of Taymor.

GP

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:09 pm

Thanks again, GP!

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi GP -

Nice idea for another Specularum thread!

I'll have a think about what else might be included. Perhaps you might want to add the founding dates of the various Guilds as per your article in the Vaults? That would show some aspects of the city's cevelopment and might suggest certain events happening.

When did the Gnome Caravan first start itys annual trips to Specularum? (or Marilenev)

(BTW - I've just noticed that the Board now allows for tables to be created in messages - I must try that some time )

regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:58 am

Perhaps the major clans could be fleshed out a bit here? I have been thinking about it, but nothing
of substance so far (I am slowly developing the Torenescu-Vorloi-Radu scenario for my campaign).

I will try to come up with the dates of the historical events in the Lament of the Wavering Bard
(the great drought and the attacks of the river raiders, the death of the Griffon Knight).

The only sin is selfishness. So said the good Doctor.
- Iain M. Banks

mister c
Ogre

Post by mister c » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:44 am

Lovely bit of work GP, thanks.
IMC Krollan has become posthumously quite important, being the author of various books on the magical history of the Traldar. Both the Scribes Guild and the Wizards Guild hold copies of his works, notably Artifacta Arcanum. The copy in teh Wizards Guild has annotations supposedly made by Krollan himself.
Hope this is of some interest/use.

misterc

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:59 am

mister c wrote:Lovely bit of work GP, thanks.
IMC Krollan has become posthumously quite important, being the author of various books on the magical history of the Traldar. Both the Scribes Guild and the Wizards Guild hold copies of his works, notably Artifacta Arcanum. The copy in teh Wizards Guild has annotations supposedly made by Krollan himself.
Hope this is of some interest/use.
Sure, we can certainly use more details on these historical NPCs.
I've added the book to the Scriveners' Guildhall library.

GP
Last edited by agathokles on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:04 am

AllanP wrote: I'll have a think about what else might be included. Perhaps you might want to add the founding dates of the various Guilds as per your article in the Vaults? That would show some aspects of the city's cevelopment and might suggest certain events happening.
:oops: You're right, I should definitely include them.
When did the Gnome Caravan first start itys annual trips to Specularum? (or Marilenev)
I suppose it started between the I and IV century AC: the Gnomes settle in Highforge in BC 100, the dwarves 4 centuries later. By 400 AC, Marilenev is already a major trading center, justifying the yearly caravan.

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:38 am

I've added the guild history entries. This led to the identification of a new historical NPC, governor Iulius Bassus. Note that two other governors are known (Flavian Osteropoulos from "Arena of Thyatis", and Elena Hessenberg, designed by Giulio Caroletti and James Ruhland in the Thyatian literature article).

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:50 am

Ville Lahde wrote:Perhaps the major clans could be fleshed out a bit here? I have been thinking about it, but nothing
of substance so far (I am slowly developing the Torenescu-Vorloi-Radu scenario for my campaign).
Indeed. The Radu are already a major clan at the time of the Vampire Wars, while the Torenescu are even more ancient (they descend from the line of the Kings of Krakatos, and perhaps from Petra herself!). There's plenty of space for the history of clan Marilenev, of course. As to the Vorloi, one issue which should be considered is whether they originally were a Traladaran clan who moved to Thyatis -- the name looks more Traladaran than Thyatian.
I will try to come up with the dates of the historical events in the Lament of the Wavering Bard
(the great drought and the attacks of the river raiders, the death of the Griffon Knight).
Ok, thanks.

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:11 pm

Edited post:

Or perhaps his late wife was Traladaran? His own name does not sound so Traladaran to me. But your idea
(presumably inspired by Joaquin Menchaca's piece in the Vaults?) would work as well.

The exact role of the Radus and the Torenescus in the rebellion should be perhaps clarified - there must
be a reason they were left much more intact. The Gazetteer seems to imply that they stayed pretty
much away from the actual fighting. But on the other hand the notion that only the Marilenev clan
was involved sounds a bit dull. Perhaps there was a widespread popular revolt, with the Marilenevs
"in charge" but the other families involved inadvertedly through allies & friends or purposefully
through proxies. (If I remember correctly, you mention in some text the possibility that CoT was
devastated in that conflict, so some elements of the Church were involved. This is definitely a good
idea, giving additional colour to the mixed relationship of the churches.)
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:55 pm

Ville Lahde wrote:Or perhaps his late wife was Traladaran? His own name dor not sound so Traladaran to me. But your idea
(presumably inspired by Joaquin Menchaca's article?) would work as well.
Indeed, that's were it came from! However, I meant his surname. "Philip" obviously doesn't sound either Traladaran or Thyatian ;)
The exact role of the Radus and the Torenescus in the rebellion should be thought about - there must
be a reason they were left much more intact.
You're right, of course. According to GAZ1, the Marilenev clan acted too early, before the Torenescu and Radu could join them (though the Radu's delay at least might have been intentional), so the men of clan Marilenev were killed by the Phorsis Guard.
Later, "hooded assassins" tried to kill Stefan in his sleep -- this sounds like the Veiled Society.

So, a possible plot could go along the following lines: the Marilenev, as direct descendants of the last Duke of Marilenev, had (or thought they had) a claim to the throne, so they eager to get rid of Stefan and stake their claim -- they didn't want the Radu and perhaps even the Torenescu to share the limelight.
The Torenescu were simply careful -- they wanted to chase Stefan, and hoped then to act as the balancing force between the mercantile Radu and the landowning Marilenev, as their family had done in the City-State times. They were truly surprised when Ivan Marilenev sprung his early rebellion. They would have joined, but Ivan was killed in the first battle, and prospects were too bad at that point.
The Radu had plotted to delay their help to see who was winning, and actually expected Marilenev to lose (maybe they even tipped off the Phorsis Guard). Their plan was to get first rid of the Marilenev clan, and then deal with Stefan through assassination. The first part of their plan went perfectly -- unfortunately, the Veiled Society assassins underestimated Stefan's fighting prowess. However, they couldn't be traced back to the Radu -- even now, no one knows the Radu are behind the society.

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:17 pm

The events mentioned in the scenario "Lament of the Wavering Bard":

The details of these events can be found in the original version of the scenario. When I get to redrafting it, I will try to make it
fit this version of Specularum better, but at this stage this should suffice. Just say if something of this does not sit well with
you. In any case "Lament of the Wavering Bard" needs these three events and locations centered on water and connected
with each other in some way, but it is easy to adapt them.

1) The Great Drought and the Weary Water-Diviner

Successive droughts threaten the people of Marilenev, and especially the northern farmers (present-day Lesser Merchant District,
North End and Foreign Quarter) suffer. This could take place during the height of the Marilenev and the Traladaran League, around 600 AC?

2) The Great Irrigation Channel and the Suicide of the Guardians (see "Elder Guardians" in the scenario)

We actually discussed this earlier in the other thread. The notion is that in order to combat the droughts an irrigation channel was dug
in order to channel water to the northern fields. The preferred route would be (due to dramatic reasons in the scenario, and in keeping
with the contour-map of Specularum): Westward from the Hightower - Turn north towards Lesser Merchant District - Turn
northwestish towards present-day FQ in the middle of the Lesser Merchant District. Thus the marketplace where the Elder Guardians
appear would fit smack in the middle of the northern marketplace.
Since the scenario has the bridge and the channel also as a social class division line, we might place this event after the migrations of 750
AC, and the two northeastern hills might be (fittingly) the stronghold of the Radus, and the economic seat of power in the city. Digging the
channel itself might be one of the great PR stunts of the ascendant Radus after 612? (It would also fit the fact that the channel was
dug to combat the problem of dry wells.)

EDIT: The channel was obviously filled later, but I have no idea as of the date and reason. Or: perhaps it was done during Stefan's construction
projects - Foreign Quarter too over many of the older fields, and the northern areas were devoted to the Hunting Guild? So intensive irrigation
was no longer needed.

3) The Knight of the Griffon

This takes place soon after 900 AC, of course. The legendary Knight was not an actual Griffon Knight (since they originate in the CoK),
but definitely part of the original cults/churches that Jowett incorporated into his creation.
Note: As the Knight's body is buried under the Hightower (mistakenly called the Lighthouse in the scenario), this must take place
before the building of the tower. But this is presumably a Karameikan creation?
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:25 pm

The Knight of the Griffon might have been a Thyatian Knight of the Air with a griffon mount (or perhaps just a knight with a griffon in his coat of arms).
Jowett could have built over the well-known image of this character to build his own order.

The dates seem good.

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:31 am

I was thinking along the latter lines, since the man is supposed to be a fairly "mundane" hero. It is a good idea to have
Jowett originally build upon him, especially since the idea in the Gazetteer is that the Griffon Knight is mostly
remembered by the Traladara. Jowett tried to cash on one of the few positive images of Thyatians among the
natives.
- Iain M. Banks

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:57 am

Your notions on the rebellion sound good. Veiled Society should definitely also have been involved. (BTW, when might it have been
founded? After the Thyatian invasion? I think it should not be any "ancient cabal", that would give it a too high-fantasy feel?)

Perhaps we might also place some key battles of the rebellion, so they can be utilised later on
as historical symbols? The Statue of Ban Bogdan Ivanovich should be involved in some way (you mentioned this in the description of the
statue), especially as Vladimir and other demagogues will try to use this symbol repeatedly in the Specularum Series.
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:17 am

Ok, so we'll have a Thyatian Knight was coat of arms will be similar to (or even the same as) that of the Order of the Griffon.

As for the Veiled Society, I agree it should be born as a "self-defense" association sponsored by the Merchants' Guild when the Thyatians took over.

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:40 am

Good. That incidentally fits the image that the Specularum Series implicitly poses - that of the Veiled Society and the Traladaran
resistance movements struggling for the hearts and minds of the people and for determining the direction of the dissent. (I just
realised that this came out of the Series pretty unintentionally.) Of course the economic, personal and political interests of
the Radus also determine the actions of the VC. But I'd think that in addition to its sinister and threatening image the Society
would try to pose itself as a defender of the Traladara. Historical examples are legion.
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:20 pm

Ville Lahde wrote: But I'd think that in addition to its sinister and threatening image the Society
would try to pose itself as a defender of the Traladara. Historical examples are legion.
Definitely.

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:45 pm

The most significant immigration waves and the history of the Foreign Quarter are important, as AllanP noted in the other
thread. I guess in some sense the Foreign Quarter has been around for a few centuries, but the booming of trade after
the Thyatian invasion made it more permanent, not to mention the construction of the city walls.
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:14 am

Ville Lahde wrote:The most significant immigration waves and the history of the Foreign Quarter are important, as AllanP noted in the other
thread. I guess in some sense the Foreign Quarter has been around for a few centuries, but the booming of trade after
the Thyatian invasion made it more permanent, not to mention the construction of the city walls.
Done. I've dated the formation of the Foreign Quarter to the Dwarven migration of 802 AC. IMO, it makes sense because the walled city was crowded at the time (see the events in 750 AC), and the dwarven migration was both large and permanent. The construction of Hallonica Building some fifty years later marks the full development of the quarter. Ierendi, Elven and Ylari immigrants are definitely newcomers (they came after Stefan opened up relations with them).
Darokinians and Minrothaddans have always been there, but not always in the Foreign Quarter (before its creation, the North market and the Trader's Corridor were the primary areas inhabited by foreigners).

GP

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:49 pm

Ville Lahde wrote:2) The Great Irrigation Channel and the Suicide of the Guardians (see "Elder Guardians" in the scenario)

We actually discussed this earlier in the other thread. The notion is that in order to combat the droughts an irrigation channel was dug in order to channel water to the northern fields. The preferred route would be (due to dramatic reasons in the scenario, and in keeping with the contour-map of Specularum): Westward from the Hightower - Turn north towards Lesser Merchant District - Turn northwestish towards present-day FQ in the middle of the Lesser Merchant District. Thus the marketplace where the Elder Guardians appear would fit smack in the middle of the northern marketplace.
Since the scenario has the bridge and the channel also as a social class division line, we might place this event after the migrations of 750 AC, and the two northeastern hills might be (fittingly) the stronghold of the Radus, and the economic seat of power in the city. Digging the channel itself might be one of the great PR stunts of the ascendant Radus after 612? (It would also fit the fact that the channel was dug to combat the problem of dry wells.)
I guess you're referring to the contour mao I worked up inthe "Physical Geography of Specularum" thread here. I reproduce that map below, but with the "seven hills of Specularum" labelled A to G. I guess you're referring to hills (B) and (C) as the north east hills...

If the Radu clan set up settlements inthese two hills, which clans had the original settlements on the other hills? I'm assuming that the Marilenev clan had the earlier settlement on hill A...?
AllanP

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:55 pm

Ville Lahde wrote:Perhaps we might also place some key battles of the rebellion, so they can be utilised later on
as historical symbols? The Statue of Ban Bogdan Ivanovich should be involved in some way (you mentioned this in the description of the statue), especially as Vladimir and other demagogues will try to use this symbol repeatedly in the Specularum Series.
That's a good ideam Ville, it kight help name some of the locales within the city districts. There might be a "Victory Square", or a "Crowning Street" (or is that Coronation Street ;) ? or a Triumph Arch, etc....
AllanP

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:58 pm

agathokles wrote:
Ville Lahde wrote:The most significant immigration waves and the history of the Foreign Quarter are important, as AllanP noted in the other
Done. I've dated the formation of the Foreign Quarter to the Dwarven migration of 802 AC. IMO, it makes sense because the walled city was crowded at the time (see the events in 750 AC), and the dwarven migration was both large and permanent. The construction of Hallonica Building some fifty years later marks the full development of the quarter. Ierendi, Elven and Ylari immigrants are definitely newcomers (they came after Stefan opened up relations with them).
Darokinians and Minrothaddans have always been there, but not always in the Foreign Quarter (before its creation, the North market and the Trader's Corridor were the primary areas inhabited by foreigners).

GP
To GP and Ville -
Just to say well done on your work here guys, delving into Specularum's history like this is great stuff and should help me with my mapping of the city as time progresses.
regards,
AllanP

Return to “Mystara”