First Quest Boxed Set

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Havard

First Quest Boxed Set

Postby Havard » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:06 pm

There are three different TSR products called First Quest that have nothing to do with oneanother:

This thread is about the 1994 AD&D 2nd Edition Boxed Set with Audio CD:

This boxed set arrived at my post office last week. I originally decided not to buy this product since it didnt seem to have anything to offer, but now that I have it in my posession, I was surprised to discover how firmly this can be considered a Mystara product. The box contains the following:

* A CD
* A Poster with the art from the K:KoA cover, with a Mystara logo on it.
* A Poster with maps for all the 4 adventures
* 6 cardboard cards with pregen characters
* 1 cardboard card with quick reference info
* 1 cardboard card with a map of "The Town"
* 1 Dungeon Master's Screen
* 1 booklet with Cleric spells
* 1 booklet with Wizard spells
* 1 booklet: The Rules Book
* 1 booklet: Monsters & Treasure
* 1 booklet: Adventures (Includes 4 adventures connected to Karameikos)
* 6 plastic minuatures corresponding with the pregen characters.

The adventure booklet specifically mentions that "The town" which is the starting point for each of the adventures is set in Karameikos, Mystara.

The third adventure, Wildspace is a Spelljammer adventure, but even here the PCs start out in Karameikos.

In this threadit is stated that Mount Dread appears on the K:KoA map near Mt Pavel. Can someone confirm this? It might give us a better idea of where the Town should be located.

On the downside, monsters like Drow and Duergar appear in the adventures. I dislike this since these monsters have Mystaran equivalents so why not use Shadowelves and Moulder Dwarves. The Wildspace adventure has other creatures like Giff that normally dont appear on Mystara, but this bothers me less, since most of the adventure is set in the Spelljammer Setting.

Havard

Edit: see also this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2574&p=75528

Edit:
Three versions of this boxed set were published between 1995-1996. The original, labelled First Quest was set in Mystara, while the two revised boxed sets replaced the Mystara references with Forgotten Realms and removed the Spelljammer adventure:

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: First Quest Boxed Set

Postby Gawain_VIII » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:11 pm

About 40 miles NW of Threshold (through the mountains), 16 miles due-west of Mt. Pavel. The Mt. itself is actually located in Darokin.

(Aren't y'all gald my books arrived last week?)

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby Havard » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:26 pm

Awesome Roger!

Looking at the adventure, it states that King Stefan is looking to expand his lands to include the area of Mt Dread, which is why he wants the monsters of the region cleared out.

Actually, it doesnt say that "The Town" neccessarily is close to Mt Dread, so I suppose any town in Karameikos is still available. I would prefer not using the more developed towns like Threshold, since the First Quest box actually does provide quite a bit of detail (including the map) on "the Town".

Azazabus, an "evil sorcerer" lived under Mt Dread "centuries ago". Any thoughts who this guy might have been?

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Gawain_VIII » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:49 pm

Havard wrote:Actually, it doesnt say that "The Town" neccessarily is close to Mt Dread, so I suppose any town in Karameikos is still available. I would prefer not using the more developed towns like Threshold, since the First Quest box actually does provide quite a bit of detail (including the map) on "the Town".

Agreed. Luln perhaps (maybe a bit too large for "the town" but it would be nice to have a map of this walled village)? Or some unnamed village in the foothills at the head of the Achelos River?

Azazabus, an "evil sorcerer" lived under Mt Dread "centuries ago". Any thoughts who this guy might have been?

In my continuity, B1's Zelligar and Rogahn were contemporaries of Halav, et al. In fact, IMC, they were quite pivital in Traladara's success against the beast-men. They're not remembered because they failed to ascend to Immortality with their companions.

According to B1's player's background,
Many years passed, until one day a great barbarian invasion came from the lands to the north, threatening to engulf the entire land...

IMC, these barbarians are the gnolls, later to be termed beast-men.

Later in the same description:
Rogahn and Zelligar apparently decided upon a joint foray into the lands of the hated barbarians... the two personages, it seems, disappeared into the forbidding alien lands to the north on a great adventure... may have been asked by the very gods themselves.

The question to be asked, then, is whether Azazabus was a gnollish wokani--or, considering the proximity to the lost valley, a hutaakan wizard?

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:57 pm

I suppose the town could be Verge or Rifllian. Does the adventure give any more information about "the town"?
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Gawain_VIII » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:59 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:I suppose the town could be Verge or Rifllian. Does the adventure give any more information about "the town"?

I could go along with Verge. IDK about Rifflian though. Not having seen "the town" map, I'm willing to bet that it doesn't match the "elven trading post" description of Rifflian.

Roger
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby Planefarer » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:23 pm

Havard wrote:Actually, it doesnt say that "The Town" neccessarily is close to Mt Dread, so I suppose any town in Karameikos is still available. I would prefer not using the more developed towns like Threshold, since the First Quest box actually does provide quite a bit of detail (including the map) on "the Town".

"The Town" is mentioned in the K:KoA boxed set, where the sidebar on p. 7-8 in the Explorer's Guide, where it is speculated that it is named Krondsfield as the basics of a campaign setting is described. I'll just quote the relevant bit.

K:KoA, Explorer's Guide, p. 7-8 wrote:Remember the town in the First Quest game? There are lots of buildings on the map of the town, including the wizard's tower, the temple, and the store. Each of these places serves a purpose in the game, but no details about the proprietors are given. None of the tidbits of information about the kind of people they are, their secrets, or anything else that might serve to create an adventure is explained. A campaign setting fills all of that information .
For example, a campaign setting might tell us that the town is actually called Krondsfield, named after old Jacob Krond, who over 100 years ago was the first farmer to settle the area and clear the trees for his crop field. We might be told that the Evening Star Inn is run by a retired adventurer named Gulter Olafsen, who keeps a minotaur's head mounted on the wall over his bar. He proudly tells anyone who asks that he slew it with his maical sword, which he still wears on his belt to discourage fighting in his establishment. None of this information has anything to do with the current adventure, but when the characters are done and return to the town to enjoy the fruits of their labors, it establishes a sense of realness to the world.
A campaign setting acts as more than just a backdrop to adventures, though. Because it is a dynamic place, it also becomes a stage for new adventures, a springboard for the imagination.
Perhaps there is a rumor that old Jacob Krond liked to bury pots of gold coins in his field, although nobody knows where his farm was anymore. Maybe somebody breaks in the Evening Sar Inn one night, kills Gulter, and steals the magical sword that he always brags about. Two new adventures are starting to shape.

The rest of the text doesn't give more detail, but just expands on the concepts of a campaign setting.

Havard wrote:Azazabus, an "evil sorcerer" lived under Mt Dread "centuries ago". Any thoughts who this guy might have been?

I actually went back and explored the "Under Mount Dread" adventure again and used Azazabus in the adventure. Remember that only two levels of the dungeons are accessible in the adventure? Well, I let other adventurers find a way through a lair of griffons high in the mountains that would lead to the lower levels. Bascially just your huge monster cave down to the lair of Azazabus in an attempt to capture his treasure.

Except Azazabus was still there. I made him a lich, who was once a nasty wizard thrown out of Thyatis. So he came to Traladara centuries in the past, before the Thyatian invasion, and made his lair under Mount Dread.
"When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life."
Planefarer
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:32 pm

Planefarer wrote:
"The Town" is mentioned in the K:KoA boxed set, where the sidebar on p. 7-8 in the Explorer's Guide, where it is speculated that it is named Krondsfield as the basics of a campaign setting is described. I'll just quote the relevant bit.

Good catch Planefarer. Thanks for the quote!

I actually went back and explored the "Under Mount Dread" adventure again and used Azazabus in the adventure. Remember that only two levels of the dungeons are accessible in the adventure? Well, I let other adventurers find a way through a lair of griffons high in the mountains that would lead to the lower levels. Bascially just your huge monster cave down to the lair of Azazabus in an attempt to capture his treasure.

Except Azazabus was still there. I made him a lich, who was once a nasty wizard thrown out of Thyatis. So he came to Traladara centuries in the past, before the Thyatian invasion, and made his lair under Mount Dread.

Cool ideas! I like Roger's idea about linking Azazaubus to Nithia, though I must admit that my first reaction was to make him a Thyatian as well. Probably due to the -us ending of his name..

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:08 am

Nelluonkkar* bump!

* = This is an in-joke for TBeholder. ;)

Havard wrote:This boxed set arrived at my post office last week. I originally decided not to buy this product since it didnt seem to have anything to offer, but now that I have it in my posession, I was surprised to discover how firmly this can be considered a Mystara product. The box contains the following:

* A CD
* A Poster with the art from the K:KoA cover, with a Mystara logo on it.
* A Poster with maps for all the 4 adventures
* 6 cardboard cards with pregen characters
* 1 cardboard card with quick reference info
* 1 cardboard card with a map of "The Town"
* 1 Dungeon Master's Screen
* 1 booklet with Cleric spells
* 1 booklet with Wizard spells
* 1 booklet: The Rules Book
* 1 booklet: Monsters & Treasure
* 1 booklet: Adventures (Includes 4 adventures connected to Karameikos)
* 6 plastic minuatures corresponding with the pregen characters.

I was reading your other thread about this ([First Quest] The adventures of Giff-Captain Blotomus) in the Spelljammer forum, and found that your link to the TSR Archive was dead. So I went searching for information on First Quest and found out something (on Tome of Treasures) that may be of interest to Mystara fans. The First Quest boxed set has actually been published four times!

That in itself, is not so interesting, but the fact that the other three boxed sets are not called First Quest might be:

So, the First Quest brand name has been dropped (a shame in my opinion, as it is an interesting name for what might have been expanded into another Mystara subsetting)...

...but...

...it seems very much to me that, Mystara has very quietly switched from being "the Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting" to being "the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting". :shock:

At least, it seems that way from the point of view of an introductory boxed set. I belived that someone told me that Thunder Rift was originally set up as a "starter area" for D&D. So this makes it look like they have made Mystara (or rather the Karameikos region of Mystara) into the "starter setting" for AD&D. I don't think anyone has mentioned this to me before, so maybe some of you have not noticed this yet. (If that is the case, I'll have raised my Mystara-fu level and will be able to drink my weak lemon drink. :cool: )

Comparing your contents for TSR1105 (First Quest) and Tome of Treasures contents for TSR1134 adds to my interest:

Tome of Treasures page for TSR1134 wrote:
  • Interactive audio CD with over 60 minutes of digital sound
  • 6 plastic player character miniatures
  • Player's handbook (32 pages, 1134XXX1901) has basic rules, expanded rules, and spells
  • 6 hero cards — one for each character (1134XXX0601)
  • DUNGEON MASTER® Guide (64 pages, 1134XXX1902) and Screen (three-fold, 1134XXX1401) - with adventures!
  • MONSTROUS MANUAL™ - monsters and treasures in full color (32 pages, 1134XXX1903)
  • Full-color double-sided dungeon map (1134XXX0701)
  • Player aid/character sheet card (1134XXX0601) and town map card
  • 7 adventure dice

Tome of Treasure's page for Introduction to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons® says "This is basically identical to the 1994 FIRST QUEST boxed set. The box and the interior layout was adapted to the new 'red logo' AD&D design (1995) and the art was exchanged."

Take a look specifically at the three books (as they look totally different). First Quest had "Rules Book", "Monsters and Treasures Book" and "Adventure Book". Introduction to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons® had "Player's Handbook", "Dungeon Master's Guide" and "Monstrous Manual". (You can see cover pictures on the Tome of Treasures pages for the first two products in the list above.)

Introduction to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons® looks like a totally different thing - the PHB, DMG, MM reboot makes this look like a miniature version of D&D! :shock: I would never have thought that this was the same thing as First Quest in a million years (apart from the fact that the character sheet picture looks the same). But if Tome of Treasures is correct (and I don't see why they wouldn't be) that means that people at TSR were doing their best to get Mystara accepted as an AD&D campaign setting (and as I said above - perhaps as the "default" campaign setting).

I think it would have been interesting to have seen a follow up to First Quest, but sadly it seems that TSR's idea of a follow up was to keep changing the cover and selling the same product to people. (I think I'd have been really hacked off if I had bought First Quest, Introduction to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons® and The Complete Starter Set and brought them home only to discover I had bought the same thing three times!

I'm mostly interested in First Quest because of the Mystara/Spelljammer connection. I might go pick up Introduction to Advanced Dungeons & Dragons® just so that I can compare notes to Havard.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Interesting!

I knew there were a bunch of introductory sets published during the late 1990s, but I had no idea the Mystara & Spelljammer-based adventure booklet was included in more than one of them. OTOH, it doesnt seem like there would be any new setting material in the later versions; only reprinted old material. It would be interesting to see though.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ghendar » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:58 pm

I bought a copy of this way after the fact. At one point, a local toy store K-B Toy Works (now defunct) was selling some shrinkwrapped D&D box sets cheap (around 2.99-5.99 as I recall. I remember they had several Wrath of the Immortals sets. Wish I bought more!! :( ). First Quest was one of them that I picked up. Never really gave it much thought. I'll have to give it another look.
Fifth registered member, bitches!
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby Raymond » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:17 pm

I remember reading about what looked like a Spelljammer adventure in that First Quest book. I don't remember it explaining if the Spelljammer ship should operate like it would if taking off from Oerth or if there were Mystara-specific restrictions on what the ship or its crew could do. Do you think it was written as if the ship could fly in the regular Spelljammer way?
Raymond
Hobgoblin

Postby Havard » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:22 pm

Raymond wrote:I remember reading about what looked like a Spelljammer adventure in that First Quest book. I don't remember it explaining if the Spelljammer ship should operate like it would if taking off from Oerth or if there were Mystara-specific restrictions on what the ship or its crew could do. Do you think it was written as if the ship could fly in the regular Spelljammer way?

IIRC the module does not go into detail on how the Spelljammer ship takes off with regard to the Sky Shield or other Mystara-Specific issues other than the fact that the ship appears in Karameikos. The majority of the module takes place in what I assume to be Mystaraspace. The ship itself is a regular Spelljammer ship rather than a Mystaran Skyship/Voidship. It was not built on Mystara as Captain Blotomous has only recently learned how to get to Mystaraspace via the Rock of Braal.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby firebee » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:46 pm

Planefarer wrote:

"The Town" is mentioned in the K:KoA boxed set, where the sidebar on p. 7-8 in the Explorer's Guide, where it is speculated that it is named Krondsfield as the basics of a campaign setting is described.

Unfortunately, it gives no location for Krondsfield. I ended up using "The Town" for Irenke. It seemed to be kind of an "Adventurers Paradise" in that it seemed specifically geared towards supporting/supplying adventurers.
Tom Mahaney
firebee
Bugbear

Postby Knightfall » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:53 pm

Okay, I have to get this now! :cool:
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Havard » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:33 am

For those of you not following the Spelljammer Forum, Banesbox has just made a cleaned up version of the battle map from the Wildspace adventure contained in the First Quest Boxed Set. You can find it in this thread.

In the same thread, Morfie revealed that the TSR 1134 AD&D intro set (1995) reused some of the adventures and other material from the First Quest Boxed Set:

Morfie wrote:However, this set was then rebranded into Intro to AD&D TSR 1134 and released in 1995, after they killed off most of the settings.
This removed the Across Wildspace! adventure and changed the other adventures to be explicitly set in the Forgotten Realms - the town of Freedale in Shadowdale. Thus removing any Spelljammer or Mystara references.

Well, I guess we are all used to TSR/WotC retconning Mystara material into other settings by now. Anyway, if you aren't able to get your hands on the First Quest Boxed set, but are interested in the adventures, the AD&D Intro set might be a decent alternative.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby julius_cleaver » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:15 pm

With the Jackie Chan picture, I must say...Well played Sir...Well played!
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog
julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Havard » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:08 am

Hehe :)

As it turns out three versions of this boxed set were published between 1995-1996. The original, labelled First Quest was set in Mystara, while the two revised boxed sets replaced the Mystara references with Forgotten Realms and removed the Spelljammer adventure:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Return to Mystara