Vaults of Pandius Geocities Links

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

copperblade
Gnoll

Re: Vaults of Pandius Geocities Links

Post by copperblade » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:51 pm

Well here's something interesting I didn't notice before. It looks like webring has copied over geocities sites before they went down. I noticed someone's site was archived without their knowledge, and I looked around online and found this:

http://www.webringworld.org/mailarc/msg05079.html

Hopefully this means all the sites are preserved.
Forums: Blackmoor | Mystara | Classic D&D
I contribute to the Cyclopedia Mystara

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:42 pm

I notice that you have plenty of Reocities links, but no OoCities links. One of the good things about OoCities, is that they have a custom Google search box that searches OoCities and other Geocities archives.

A search for the word Mystara on the OoCities custom search gives me four pages of results.
Gawain_VIII wrote:
maddog wrote:Yikes! It looks like there are some dead links in the gazetteer section. Everything except for Karameikos is giving a 404 error. For example.....

http://classic.mystara.us/darokin.html
I know it looks bad on me, and it's extremely annoying for you, but that's a result of having a "living" website. Not everything is written down. As I complete each page, it gets uploaded. The three options available to me are (1) don't link anything until the associated page is done--forcing me to add in the links for every other page, essentially updating the whole site fresh just for one page; (2) create a generic 404-redirect page, which I don't know how to do; or (3) leave the links dead, pointing to the address of the page that will go there, and wait till I make that update.

Obviously, option 2 is the best solution, but since I don't know how to do that... I can make the page, but I don't know how to go about redirecting broken links to the 404 page. I guess it's a server-side thing Angelo might know about, I'll have to ask him. Option 1 is NOT under consideration. That leaves 3, for now.
One of the problems of dead links, is that they make Googlebot (other search engines are available) think that your website is unfinished (as well as making your visitors think it is unfinished). There are a lot of unfinished websites that are abandoned (and having a website that looks like it is "und*r constr*ction" can make people think it is abandoned. This might have some sort of effect on your page rank, or reduce the frequency at which Googlebot comes back to your page.

So if you can get a 404 page working, it is something you should always try to do.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

copperblade
Gnoll

Post by copperblade » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:55 pm

There was some potential malicious code or virus detected on oocities.com reported in the past, so I didn't include it. (I don't know if that's currently an issue or not.) Webring also copied geocities sites that belonged to webrings, so there are some on there. At this point, the death of geocities has caused a lot of the geocities sites to have more exposure than anything ;)
Forums: Blackmoor | Mystara | Classic D&D
I contribute to the Cyclopedia Mystara

Return to “Mystara”