Mystara Modules and Placement

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

paleologos
Ogre

Re: B Series Modules

Post by paleologos » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:56 pm

PeripheralBlue wrote:Just wanted to get some clarification with regards to the differences between the calendars; sources and what have you. Also, do you guys think that one'd be better served by placing this module closer to 1000AC? I mean, the Duchy certainly seems to take on a more civilized feel as time goes on, no? Especially when we're lookin' at Karameikos, post WotI. At least that's the impression I've gotten from K:KoA... for whatever that's worth.
The months in the calendar in B10 aren't limited to 28 days, IIRC. The module can definitely be played in 1000AC - it's pretty flexible in that regard.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:45 pm

PeripheralBlue wrote:Just wanted to get some clarification with regards to the differences between the calendars; sources and what have you.
As Paleologos points out, the calendar in B10 is actually a 365 day calendar, rather than the 28 day/month calendar that later became the standard for Mystara. Otherwise, it uses the same day and month names as later products do.

As far as time placement, c. 1000 AC is probably the best time frame; Sgt Arthol is an NPC in the module, and is mentioned in Gaz1 as well (and is still 3rd level), though Gaz1 makes no mention of his age (hence why I didn't include that as a reference as to chronological placement). In any event, it should occur prior to the Duchy becoming a Kingdom, though national changes don't really impact the module too much.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

PeripheralBlue
Goblin

Re: Mystara Modules and Placement

Post by PeripheralBlue » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:52 am

Aha! Well, thanks very much guys.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

M Series Modules

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:07 am

M1: Into the Maelstrom
Location Notes: The module is assumed to take place in Norwold, with the adventurers being sent out as agents of King Ericall. They may or may not necessarily be dominion rulers themselves.
Time Period: 996 AC or later.
Staging Suggestions: The adventure is best run c. 1000 AC. Note that Alphaks’ Volcano in the module is somewhat different from the version in Dawn of the Emperors.
Continuity Problems: Baron Norlan of Qeodhar is listed as being an F15 in the module, whereas in DotE (set in 1000 AC) he is listed as F18. Further, Mariella is noted in DotE as being “in the process” of creating the identity of Hyldeborg to steal away to be with her lover, Norlan, whereas in the module the PCs intercept her en route to Qeodhar with Norlan. Norlan’s level discontinuities are best ignored and the module works best in the 1000 AC period. DMs should note changes between versions of Alphaks’ Volcano (mentioned above). Given the use of the time travel “reset button” at the end of the module, continuity differences can be handled with relative ease.
References: DotE (p.7, 40, 52, 80), PWA1010 (p. 149)

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:10 am

Updated information to include modules CM7, CM9, and M1. Still working out the rest (and I intentionally skipped CM8, as I'm debating how best to present it, since it doesn't really fit well with the suggested location- Glantri- and I'm trying to decide if there's a better way/place to stage it).

happylarry
Ogre

Post by happylarry » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:48 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Updated information to include modules CM7, CM9, and M1. Still working out the rest (and I intentionally skipped CM8, as I'm debating how best to present it, since it doesn't really fit well with the suggested location- Glantri- and I'm trying to decide if there's a better way/place to stage it).
Thanks - I looked up CM8 as a result of your comment here, and it was a module I'd largely forgotten about. I think it's probably also a module where setting is less critical - but I wondered about NE Alphatia - perhaps Foresthome? (For which I couldn't find a writeup in DoE) The description of NE Alphatia on p10 ofthe palayers book seemed to fit - would explain plenty of MUs as per the adventure, the localised community of Daelzun's inn and is laregly forested - not rocky, but rugged!

Just a thought - and anyway, it was fun looking at the module again. (Must go on the vaults for some 'missing' kingdom writeups!)

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:09 pm

Ok... I've resisted as long as I can....

Whenever I see your board name, one of two images pops into my brain:

1. HappyCat (aka Frank)... the original "I Can Has Cheezeburger?" cat.
(Happycat was a Russian pet food brand [also Happydog, Happyhorse, etc], and Frank was used in their advertising).

2. speaks for itself.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

happylarry
Ogre

Post by happylarry » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:16 pm

Well, they do say resistance is futile...

Appropriate action has been taken :D

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:20 pm

It seems likely that one would want to link CM5 to the other CM modules set in Norwold. Was it incorporated into the FGaz series?

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:59 am

I just discovered this thread. Great work. Excellent information. :cool:
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Post by julius_cleaver » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:57 am

You left out CM8: The Endless Stair. Four days out of Glantri City. I actually thought it was in the forest North of Malinbois?
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:25 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Updated information to include modules CM7, CM9, and M1. Still working out the rest (and I intentionally skipped CM8, as I'm debating how best to present it, since it doesn't really fit well with the suggested location- Glantri- and I'm trying to decide if there's a better way/place to stage it).
I seem to remember reading somewhere that CM8 is linked to the Forgotten Realms. :?:
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:33 pm

Knightfall wrote:I seem to remember reading somewhere that CM8 is linked to the Forgotten Realms. :?:
It is written by Ed Greenwood, so maybe that is the connection?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:51 pm

Havard wrote:
Knightfall wrote:I seem to remember reading somewhere that CM8 is linked to the Forgotten Realms. :?:
It is written by Ed Greenwood, so maybe that is the connection?

-Havard
I found this on the Candle Keep forum...

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5179
Asgetrion wrote:I may be wrong here, but I seem to recall that Ed Greenwood's marvelous adventure The Endless Stair was set in Erlkazar?
ShadowJack wrote:Asgetrion,

Pray tell, Where can the adventure the Endless Stair be found?
Faraer wrote:CM8 The Endless Stair, Ed's first formal design project for TSR, doesn't have a definite setting, at least not in the Realms -- it's suggested for Glantri, on Mystara. It's eminently Realms-compatible and fits the Sword Coast backlands and the Dales particularly well.
Steven Schend wrote:While I consider the Endless Stair and The Five Shires (both Ed creations for the then-called D&D Known World) "lost Realmslore," I haven't looked at ES for so long I don't know if it would fit. I actually built Erlkazar out of another 1E D&D module...and I'm sure I've mentioned it in public before, but the name's lost to me. Can see the green cover and a ghostly face of a king hovering over his own dead body...but nothing more.

George? Eric? Either of you remember what module it sprang from?

Sorry... Must be my aging brain....or lack of sleep.... ;)
The module Steven Schend is referring to (underlined) is N3 Destiny of Kings.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:10 pm

The Mystara-Realms connection of The Endless Stair could make for an interesting crossover adventure where characters from Glantri are transported to Erlkazar where they must deal with the events of Destiny of Kings before heading back to the Known World.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:29 am

I think it'd be cool to tie the Endless Stair with the Infinite Staircase. Then it could crossover with any world or plane.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:55 am

Since the NorReach Gaz already has canon links to the Realms, via runegates, having some parellel link using the Endless Stair wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Andrelvis
Orc

Post by Andrelvis » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:50 pm

What about the First Quest modules/adventures? They all happened in Karameikos.

Bouv
Cloud Giant

Post by Bouv » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:58 am

Excellent job. I actually placed most of the B series on my Karameikos map and seemed to have gotten them correct!

Raymond
Gnoll

Post by Raymond » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:30 pm

How does GAZ7 The Northern Reaches have canon links to FR via runegates?

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:44 pm

I'm not sure about runegates, but you can reach Moonshae in FR via Yggdrasil, an outer plane in Mystara. Page 64 of GAZ7's DM book.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:24 am

Raymond wrote:How does GAZ7 The Northern Reaches have canon links to FR via runegates?
On the back cover of GAZ7 one of the bullet points is "Gates to the FORGOTTEN REALMS Campaign Set".

Also on the DMs Booklet, page 64 "Adapting Gazetteers to AD&D Campaigns" it says:
Access from the Northern Reaches to other campaign worlds is possible through Yggdrasil through the use of the clerical travel spell (in the D&D game) or plane shift or gate spell (in the AD&D game) or use of an artifact with similar powers. Such artifacts may be found as sacred cult treasures of any one of the various Northman cults, and may also be found in the treasure hoards of the Modriswerg.

From Yggdrasil, adventurers may come to the Sea of Moving Ice, enter the lands of the Moonshae Northmen (both of the FORGOTTEN REALMS boxed set), or to the Snow Barbarians (Kingdom of Schnai) of the World of Greyhawk boxed set, or any Norse culture in your own AD&D game campaign setting.
I'm positive there's a direct reference to Runegates in NorReach to the Realms in the text itself, rather than an appendix, but my PDF isn't searchable, and I don't have a paper Gaz anymore... If someone could run that down for me I'd be grateful.

Cheers,
Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

snorri
Ogre

Post by snorri » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:08 pm

B5: Horror on the Hill
Location: Guido’s Fort, upriver from the Barony of Kelvin, Karameikos.
Location Notes: The suggested location is from module B1-9.
Time Period: Any
Staging Suggestions: Guido’s Fort and the Hill of the Hobgoblin King can be placed easily anywhere.
Continuity Problems: Guido’s Fort is located along the river Shrill in the module, but there is no Shrill river noted on the Karameikos maps. Shrill may be a tributary of the Hillfollow (Shutturgal) River, or a local name.
References: B1-9 (p.61)

I wonder if this one couldn't be located better somewhere in Darokin. The main salvic / traldar sounding in the module is the mad Berserker emperor.

- Shrill river sounds like Streel river. It could be a local proncunciation.

- Guido is a common italian name (Guido reni is a famous Italian painter, as an example) [a lits of famous Guido's : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido]

Alternatively, it could be in Glantri, as Guido is a also a common flemish name.

paleologos
Ogre

Post by paleologos » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:02 am

snorri wrote:I wonder if this one couldn't be located better somewhere in Darokin. The main salvic / traldar sounding in the module is the mad Berserker emperor.

- Shrill river sounds like Streel river. It could be a local proncunciation.

- Guido is a common italian name (Guido reni is a famous Italian painter, as an example) [a lits of famous Guido's : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido]

Alternatively, it could be in Glantri, as Guido is a also a common flemish name.
For the longest time, I figured that Guido's Fort was best situated at the mouth of the Streel for the same reasons, with Malpheggi swamp serving as the swamp mentioned in the module. More recently, I started to favour the Greater Achelos in Karameikos, since this river was unnamed at the time Niles wrote the module, and also serves as the eastern border of a swamp. Guido's Fort must be near the coast, since a mile-wide river is unlikely far inland.

In an interview with Niles, he confessed that use of the name Guido was a nod to the SNL character Father Guido Sarducci. As a result, I like to envision Guido's Fort as a Franciscan-style Ispan missionary fort, founded by a cleric from the Church of Thyatis based out of Kerendas. This could even work somewhere along the Savage Coast, as a result, but I've always had a hard time finding other good locations.

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:38 pm

What about the rest of the M modules and The IM modules?

Just thought I would chime in way late.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

Return to “Mystara”