X1 Isle of Dread+ Ideas

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII

X1 Isle of Dread+ Ideas

Postby happylarry » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi all

I'm planning over the next few weeks to run my players through X1 The Isle of Dread - with a few tweaks:

1.They'll probably be getting there by accidental teleportation - courtesy of Bargle. So they'll find themsleves in the middle of a tropical paradise, and probably get attacked by a dinasour, and then on with the show. And then...

2. Bargle is using the Island to get together an army - in particular, enslaving natives (noone has returned from the tar pits for a while) and capturing dinosaurs - and so the adventurers will run across various of his raiding parties

3. I want to beef up the central plateau, but other than adding some rooms to the 'dungeon' I'm not sure quite what to do.

there are also a number of other things I'm exploring - courtesy in part from Thorf's lovely map (http://www.pandius.com/isle-of-dread-4.png):
    1. are there certain areas where the dinasours are and aren't? are they / should they be restricted to a lost valley in the NE of the Island? and where are the dinosaurs from anyway?

2. what about the heat? can you wear metal armour? what about magical armour? I've got the old AD+D wilderness survival guide so could use that - but wondered what others thought

3. at some point I'm inclined to do a 1 mile per hex map. has anyone done any work on this?

4. Looking at the wilderness encounter tables on page 7 and 8 (1983 edition) of the module - where do the other monsters live? for example we have a green dragon lair - but there is also a black and a red dragon mentioned.

5. there are miles of caves just north of the Lizard Men lake - surely more than Trogs live there?

6. Surely the Arenea and other iconic creatures should be more than just a one off encounter?

So - what ideas do you have for the Isle of Dread?

By the way - I haven't got Savage Tide - and am not about to spend the $50+ I'd need to get it (and then have to retro fit it to BECMI) - so I want to build on X1
happylarry
Ogre

Re: X1 Isle of Dread+ Ideas

Postby Chimpman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:44 am

happylarry wrote:[list]1. are there certain areas where the dinasours are and aren't? are they / should they be restricted to a lost valley in the NE of the Island? and where are the dinosaurs from anyway?

Actually the dinosaurs are all over the island - that's why the villagers have that humongous wall to keep them out.

Sorry, I haven't got more to add to this discussion at the moment. I'll keep thinking about things - I'm especially intrigued by your idea about beefing up the central plateau and expanding on the trog caves. I'm hoping that whatever ideas we come up with here will also be useful in helping to develop this area in the BC 2300 era. I have been working on the map of that area recently, so I wonder if looking at that might generate some more ideas. I'll see if I can post that in the Geographical Mapping forum.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Khuzd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:38 pm

I would rule that Bargle has already obtained the government of all Ogres, Lizardmen and Troglodytes in the island (via "charm Person" and killing the more intelligent leaders). These are better soldiers than human natives.

Lizardmen have empathy and have tamed some amphybial dinosaurs (that you can design as you need).

Instead of rules for heat, I would create rules for mosquitos, mau-mau and other parasitycal nasty bugs... such as a Saving Throw against venom each day in the jungle for avoiding diseases.
"Glantri needs some re-shaping; a million dwarves would help!"
Khuzd
Troll

Location: Mad-dirid (Madrid); used to be Barcelona (Barak-Zelona), Spain

Postby happylarry » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Hi Khuzd - thnaks for these ideas!

I would rule that Bargle has already obtained the government of all Ogres, Lizardmen and Troglodytes in the island (via "charm Person" and killing the more intelligent leaders). These are better soldiers than human natives.

I like it - according to the WM tables there should also be trolls, hill giants and stone giants (maybe primitive giants?) to be negociated with. I might make a subplot where the PC's can interfere with complicated negociations here.

The human natives aren't for soldiers - they are for enslaving and taking back to Bargle HQ as easily frightened servants than don't smell as bad as zombies

Lizardmen have empathy and have tamed some amphybial dinosaurs (that you can design as you need).

Yes, I like the sound of this - did you have any particular dinosaurs in mind?

I also like that the Lizardmen, like the Rakasta, are Neutral - along with the Phanaton and Neanderthals, that gives four 'societies' in the south-central area to interact with, none of which would automatically side with Bargle.

Instead of rules for heat, I would create rules for mosquitos, mau-mau and other parasitycal nasty bugs... such as a Saving Throw against venom each day in the jungle for avoiding diseases.

I like this too - maybe a saving throw at +10 first day, then declining 1 per day of staying outside, adjusted for bad water (-4) lck of food (-4), getting injured (-4) etc. and maybe only a slow onset disease- lose 1 CON and 1 STR per day until dead / healed?

But I like the heat too! what would the temperate of the Isle of dread be? presumably it's pretty much the same the whole year round? Presumably there's a rainy / monsoon season?
happylarry
Ogre

Postby happylarry » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:34 pm

Chimpman wrote:
Actually the dinosaurs are all over the island - that's why the villagers have that humongous wall to keep them out.

:oops: good point! Maybe given the societies that exist in the south central section (see above) there are more of them / more dangerous ones to the north?

I'm hoping that whatever ideas we come up with here will also be useful in helping to develop this area in the BC 2300 era. I have been working on the map of that area recently, so I wonder if looking at that might generate some more ideas. I'll see if I can post that in the Geographical Mapping forum

Me too! I'm hoping to develop the Island to fit in with as much of canon and developments as possible - with the Bargle plot as an extra. I look forward to your map.
happylarry
Ogre

Postby Seer of Yhog » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:37 pm

I'd like to see that map, too.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:35 pm

The map's not quite ready for prime-time, but hopefully I can post it in a couple of days. In the meantime I'll try to compile some ideas that we've had in other threads (mostly centered around the BC 2300 timeline). Maybe you can find something useful from that - feel free to pick and choose the elements that best fit your needs.

1) Carnifex Dominance - it's likely that the carnifex had some presence in this area in the distant to not so distant past. Geoff's got a great story about trog inhabitants on one of the islands, and all of the disturbing practices (related to OB worship) that they maintain. Also there are a few threads floating around with the idea of ancient carnifex lore being discovered and used by folks all the way from the SC (Herath and it's lizard creating experiments) to Ylaruam (the undead lizard empire from which Geoff created Mogreth). There may be another example I'm forgetting at the moment, but you get the idea. So I think there might be a good possibility of finding ancient carnifex ruins on the Isle of Dread, along with perhaps some of their forgotten lore.

2) Kopru - we know that these guys hang out under the central plateau, and that at one point they had a kingdom located here. This is basically the premise that I'm taking for the BC 2300 Adhuza. Sharon D and I (and Geoff as well) discussed kopru rule and kopru kingdoms several years ago (mostly relating to the Hollow Moon) although nothing concrete ever came of those discussions (yet... ;) ). Anyway, I'm envisioning an island nation with small kingdoms of aranea, phanaton, humans, rakasta, and possibly more, but ultimately everyone is a puppet of the kopru. Their kingdom would even extend across the ocean (again with several puppet undersea kingdoms being ruled by the kopru) all the way to Suthus (see the BC 2300 Taymora map) which would have been just off the coast of southern Brun, and would probably have touched portions of Davania as well.

Anyway, once kopru rule was broken all those kingdoms would begin infighting and eventually degrade into what we see there in modern times.

3) M'kar - Kopru Conflicts - IIRC M'kar is the name Geoff gave to the ancients in X8. See this thread for more details. Although the M'kar probably didn't have a foothold on the Isle of Dread itself, there might still be some evidence of them there. We've theorized that they may be both mind controllers as well as masters at fleshcrafting.

Anyway, what does all of this mean for the IoD?

Based on #2 we can theorize that there are probably island spanning ruins across the Thanegioth Archipelago - roads that lead into the ocean only to reappear on the next island over - that kind of thing. There are probably lots more ruins under the ocean as well. The plateau would have been an ancient capital, so in addition to the ruins/dungeons in X1 you could have all manner of structures on the surface ready to be explored.

Based on #1 you may be able to expand the trog caves into something that leads to much more. Perhaps an ancient ruined carnifex city?

I also have a theory based on #1 and #3 as to how the dinosaurs got to the island. If the M'kar were having a secret war with the kopru, (and if they had access to ancient carnifex lore) they may have been able to seed the island with saurian megalife. Dinosaurs roaming through your territory are one sure means of causing vast amounts of destruction.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby metal » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:22 am

Chimpman wrote:Based on #2 we can theorize that there are probably island spanning ruins across the Thanegioth Archipelago - roads that lead into the ocean only to reappear on the next island over - that kind of thing. There are probably lots more ruins under the ocean as well. The plateau would have been an ancient capital, so in addition to the ruins/dungeons in X1 you could have all manner of structures on the surface ready to be explored.

Maybe something along the lines of the Maya ruins scattered all Mexico. I'm not saying M-Mayan stuff, just the idea of temple, buildings, ruins, whatever buried deep under/in the jungle. Lots of hacking away at the jungle to find (exposing the PCs to all sorts of vermin along the way). :twisted:
metal
Long live Mystara
"I'll fire aimlessly if you don't come out!"
metal
Stone Giant

Postby Vile » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:52 pm

happylarry wrote:But I like the heat too! What would the temperature of the Isle of dread be? Presumably it's pretty much the same the whole year round? Presumably there's a rainy / monsoon season?
You could model it on Singapore and basically have it hot and humid all the time, with downpours most afternoons. It's atypical tropical rainforest climate, average 26-28 degrees centigrade all year. A useful point to note is that you will get much more rainforest on the windward side of hills and mountains, because that's where most of the rain hits.

I think tropical monsoon climates are a bit different, but I can't rightly remember.
Vile
Bugbear

Postby happylarry » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:15 pm

Thanks for all your comments!

Chimpman wrote:
Based on #2 we can theorize that there are probably island spanning ruins across the Thanegioth Archipelago - roads that lead into the ocean only to reappear on the next island over - that kind of thing. There are probably lots more ruins under the ocean as well. The plateau would have been an ancient capital, so in addition to the ruins/dungeons in X1 you could have all manner of structures on the surface ready to be explored.

Yes - I like this. I think the main areas for this are the Plateau, and also the jungle area to the NE, E and S.

Presumably Geoff has done extensive work on Carnifex architecture? so far I've only picked up that it's solid and black.

I also like the idea of there being many different ruins from different settlement stages

Based on #1 you may be able to expand the trog caves into something that leads to much more. Perhaps an ancient ruined carnifex city?

sounds like a plan

I also have a theory based on #1 and #3 as to how the dinosaurs got to the island. If the M'kar were having a secret war with the kopru, (and if they had access to ancient carnifex lore) they may have been able to seed the island with saurian megalife. Dinosaurs roaming through your territory are one sure means of causing vast amounts of destruction.

Sounds possible. DDoes thta mean M'Kar ruins as well?
happylarry
Ogre

Postby happylarry » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:36 pm

happylarry wrote:
But I like the heat too! What would the temperature of the Isle of dread be? Presumably it's pretty much the same the whole year round? Presumably there's a rainy / monsoon season?

Vile wrote:
You could model it on Singapore and basically have it hot and humid all the time, with downpours most afternoons. It's atypical tropical rainforest climate, average 26-28 degrees centigrade all year. A useful point to note is that you will get much more rainforest on the windward side of hills and mountains, because that's where most of the rain hits

thanks for this - I did a little climate digging around Indonesia and the Caribean, and looks like around 75-90f - so 25-30 celsius or thereabouts. enough to make metal - and thick leather - armoutr uncomfortable. I looked up Tanakumba's weather on p172 of PWA2, and that goes for 50-75 in the winter and 75-110 in the summer - but I like the uniform temperature, and regular rain

Climate wise I'm currently thinking disease + penalties to hit and hp/con for wearing metal armour
happylarry
Ogre

Postby Chimpman » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:46 pm

happylarry wrote:

Sounds possible. DDoes thta mean M'Kar ruins as well?

Possibly, but not necessarily. If I put any M'kar ruins on the IoD, I'd make them more the rogue wizard's stronghold type ruins as opposed to an ancient M'kar city. I get the feeling that the M'kar were pretty isolationist and would have preferred to stay on their own island.

...Hmmm... a secret base might be an interesting idea. Something that could have laid hidden even during kopru occupation, and would have served as a stronghold/laboratory from which the M'kar released all manner of violent dinos. Such a location probably would have been inland, and not too near any volcanic activity (ie as far away from the actual kopru as possible). It would also have had to remain relatively hidden from any kopru puppets walking around. However, given the fact that the M'kar may have been mentalists of some sort or another, it's also possible that the site was shielded from the kopru and their minions through some form of mental magic. Anyway, it could be fun to explore such a site in the modern era. It's a chance to give players some hints as to why there are dinos on the island and where they came from, as well as giving them a glance into Mystara's past.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:30 am

happylarry wrote:Presumably Geoff has done extensive work on Carnifex architecture? so far I've only picked up that it's solid and black.

Surprisingly, I haven't. I do have a pretty good idea what it looks like, but I've never really sat down to describe it at length, because I've always been afraid I'd end up falling into the Lovecraft trap. I make no secret that his works have inspired a lot of what I've done, but I never set out to simply imitate him. That said, I'll say this much:

Carnifex architecture is solid - designed to last for millennia. Multiple buildings are erected on great foundation stones that weigh thousands of tons (so that, if the earth shifts, the buildings shouldn't - they took the long view on this sort of thing). The first cities were built out of basalt and obsidian because that's what was available at the time, and the habit stuck. Darker-coloured stone might also be pleasing to Carnifex tastes, too. Although the Carnifex weren't all that much larger than humans, their buildings always tended to be on a grand scale because they literally saw themselves as the first great race to walk the planet, a race capable of challenging the Immortals, and therefore deserving of something grand. Even the most modest Carnifex house was huge by modern Mystaran standards, with plenty of space for possessions, practicing hobbies, pursuing studies, or whatever it was the occupant wanted to do. To give you a rough idea of how I envision the average Carnifex dwelling, imagine a house having five bedrooms, five bathrooms, a three-car garage, solarium, kitchen, dining room, living room, playroom for each child, and a huge walled yard and swimming pool. And space for many, many servants.

Streets are broad, buildings are multi-storey (three floors and up), and there are a lot of squares for residents to congregate. What greenery exists is carefully controlled and manicured - the Carnifex are used to being masters of everything they survey, and if they can't force a plant to grow exactly the way they want it to, they won't let it grow. Instead, they will place statues, arches of triumph, and other things to remind themselves of their greatness throughout their cities. So order is imposed ruthlessly on the landscape, but it's Carnifex order, and it's aided by the magic of the Outer Beings. This means that streets may look straight (and you're able to clearly see your destination), but they might actually curve as you walk along them, and at times you'll lose sight of where you're going. However, if you stay on your route, you'll end up where you want to go. As stated earlier, buildings are tall and angular, but if you really concentrate on the lines of a given building (rather than just looking at the whole thing), you'll notice that there are subtle twists and curves to the lines, so the building isn't 100% straight after all.

The temples are the biggest buildings of all, supposedly intended to house the physical form of an Outer Being, should It choose to come for a visit. They would dwarf surrounding buildings, and would cover acres of space.

A good idea of a Carnifex street:

http://www.dreamhours.com/gallery/rlyeh9.1.jpg

Other images to provide some ideas:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs32/f/2008/ ... depths.jpg
http://www.kevinevans.com/content/Illus ... 27lyeh.jpg

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby Chimpman » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:14 am

Still not quite ready to open a thread in the mapping section, but here is a preview.
Adhuza
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Vile » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:49 am

happylarry wrote:I did a little climate digging around Indonesia and the Caribean, and looks like around 75-90f - so 25-30 celsius or thereabouts. enough to make metal - and thick leather - armoutr uncomfortable. I looked up Tanakumba's weather on p172 of PWA2, and that goes for 50-75 in the winter and 75-110 in the summer - but I like the uniform temperature, and regular rain

Climate wise I'm currently thinking disease + penalties to hit and hp/con for wearing metal armour

The constant humidity also plays hell with equipment - metal corrodes and leather and fabric rot very quickly without regular care and maintenance (I spend a fortune on dehumidifier electric bills, and I only live in the subtropics!).
Vile
Bugbear

Postby cab » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:54 am

The thing about X1 is that it changes how modules work; its not an 'adventure' as such (although you may use it as one), its more a setting wrapped up in the trappings of a module.

So its better to think about who the races and peoples are and how to construct encounters that reflect what you want going on than it is to look at the individual encounters as written.

If you want 'origins', heres how I handle it:

http://pandius.com/orgdread.html

Theres another island in the chain that sometimes features in my campaign, one I call Arachne:

http://pandius.com/arachne.html
http://pandius.com/arachneh.html
http://pandius.com/ctyheart.html
cab
Storm Giant

Postby happylarry » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:10 pm

Once again, thanks for all the comments - and sorry for my spelling the other night - a bit tired...

Chimpman wrote:
...Hmmm... a secret base might be an interesting idea. Something that could have laid hidden even during kopru occupation, and would have served as a stronghold/laboratory from which the M'kar released all manner of violent dinos. Such a location probably would have been inland, and not too near any volcanic activity (ie as far away from the actual kopru as possible). It would also have had to remain relatively hidden from any kopru puppets walking around. However, given the fact that the M'kar may have been mentalists of some sort or another, it's also possible that the site was shielded from the kopru and their minions through some form of mental magic. Anyway, it could be fun to explore such a site in the modern era. It's a chance to give players some hints as to why there are dinos on the island and where they came from, as well as giving them a glance into Mystara's past.

Might be tempted to place this either:
a. on one of the smaller islands on the Isle of Dread map
b. in or south of the badlands
c. under the green dragon's lair (that owuld have kept it safe)
d. at the bottom of the NW lake

preferring c. or d. at the moment...

will need to look at X8 for some M'Kar inspiration
happylarry
Ogre

Postby happylarry » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:15 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:
Surprisingly, I haven't. I do have a pretty good idea what it looks like, but I've never really sat down to describe it at length, because I've always been afraid I'd end up falling into the Lovecraft trap. I make no secret that his works have inspired a lot of what I've done, but I never set out to simply imitate him. That said, I'll say this much...

Well if nothing more this thread has at least squeezed out some Carnifex lore! Love the picture by the way.

The only trouble is - if Carnifex ruins were both big and permanent - then how do they become ruins? or would they just sink under a jungle/swamp over time? I like the idea of ruined / abandoned temples with just the top showing above ground (a bit like the Lost City) where adventurers could find themselves in a massive building with plenty of evil still hanging around - maybe even a manifestation of some outer being if the PC's are really careless.
happylarry
Ogre

Postby happylarry » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:18 pm

Still not quite ready to open a thread in the mapping section, but here is a preview.
Adhuza

Even now I love this map, and what it will become. One plea - can you fix it (Jim?) so that some of the cities in Adhuza match up with places on the present Isalnd? perhaps under Tanaroa, or the green dragon lair or something (you may already have planned this.

Presumably the present sea level comes along c.1700BC? how would this cataclysm affect the Islands? might it be what destroys one of the dominant civilisations? (will have to check dates on this)
happylarry
Ogre

Postby happylarry » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Vile wrote:
The constant humidity also plays hell with equipment - metal corrodes and leather and fabric rot very quickly without regular care and maintenance (I spend a fortune on dehumidifier electric bills, and I only live in the subtropics!).

oh yes - probably restrict this to non-magical equipment, but can see this happening too.

Cab wrote:
The thing about X1 is that it changes how modules work; its not an 'adventure' as such (although you may use it as one), its more a setting wrapped up in the trappings of a module.

So its better to think about who the races and peoples are and how to construct encounters that reflect what you want going on than it is to look at the individual encounters as written.

Yes - when I picked X1 up again the other day, I realised this - it's been such a long time since I read it that I'd forgotten how little information there is on what to do with the various encounters, and when we played in BITD oit was very much - kill anything that isn't lawful. :oops:

If you want 'origins', heres how I handle it:

http://pandius.com/orgdread.html

thanks - do you put any dates on this? sometime soon after 1000BC? Is Rakasta in Glantri canon? (I don't have the AD+D accesory for Glantri)

This could well be what lies beneath the plateau
happylarry
Ogre

Postby happylarry » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:00 pm

Okay - and now for some semi-original thinking.

some first thoughts on the Phanaton:

The Phanaton of Dread

History:
Entries on Jibaru describe the Phanaton as rising to sentience relatively recently – but don’t put any timescale on it. As far as I can see, that’s it for Canon. Then there is Geoff’s entry on the Isles of Steam on Pandius, which has the Phanaton arriving there in 900BC as Aranea slaves. The link between the two races seems to be that the Phanaton’s like eating spiders.

That’s not a lot to work from! I’m inclined to think of the Phanaton as native to the savage coast, and that those on Dread came as Aranea slaves at around the time they got to steam – c900BC. (I’ll work out what happened to the Aranea another time)

Anyway, one way or another the slaves escape, and go on to live in the jungle as marked on the X1 map.

Current situation:
The Phanaton live a comparatively peaceful existence - they need to be wary of Lizard Men, Rakasta and Neanderthals, all of which will eat them, but they have five villages in the treetops, stretching from that marked on the Isle of Dread map (which is the biggest and ‘capital’ at 200 Phanaton), down to the coast. They don’t go out of the jungle to the coast themselves. Total population is about 600.

Each village is laid out as per p11 of X1 (also p21 of X9 a helpful source). Government is tribal, and each village is independent, with a chief / war leader and a shaman. (note stats from X9)

There jungle has many ruins, and the Phanaton know the location of most / all of them – even some that would be almost impossible to find otherwise. They like collecting trinkets from the ruins to use in their mobiles (X1 p11) – but never go far into them.

The Phanaton can hide if they want to – there tree villages are all at least 50’ off the ground – but often their natural inquisitiveness gets the better of them, and they will trail an adventuring party, and if they behave themselves in the jungle, they will make contact.

PC’s wishing to make contact would be wise to bring appropriate trinkets or plants as gifts (see X1)

Motivations / adventure hooks:

At some point in my campaign, Bargle will probably discover and try to enslave the Phanaton

The Phanaton could function as sort of nature guardians – and might come to the PC’s for help if there was a major threat to the jungle.

At some point the Aranea might rediscover themselves and their former slaves.
happylarry
Ogre

Postby Chimpman » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:26 am

happylarry wrote:Even now I love this map, and what it will become. One plea - can you fix it (Jim?) so that some of the cities in Adhuza match up with places on the present Isalnd? perhaps under Tanaroa, or the green dragon lair or something (you may already have planned this.

Glad you like it (it's John, by the way). So far the cities I have placed are all on top of some of the ruins found on Mark Howard's Known World and Sea of Dread 8 miles per hex - although I might have missed some. You're right though, I still need to go back and review as many maps as possible and evaluate more settlement sites. That's something I'll do more of once I start a thread dedicated to the map.

I like the idea of using the green dragon's lair for something in the past since it means there may be more to the lair than just the dragon in the present ;).

happylarry wrote:Presumably the present sea level comes along c.1700BC? how would this cataclysm affect the Islands? might it be what destroys one of the dominant civilisations? (will have to check dates on this)

The two main events would have been in BC 1750 and then again in BC 1720. The BC 1700 (Blackmoor-elf catastrophe in the Broken Lands) shouldn't really have effected ocean levels. Hugin and Zomp and myself (among others) spent quite a bit of time researching the subject (recently). You may be able to pull some more info from those threads. The main one is here:
GazH Timeline
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby Seer of Yhog » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:44 am

happylarry wrote:The only trouble is - if Carnifex ruins were both big and permanent - then how do they become ruins? or would they just sink under a jungle/swamp over time? I like the idea of ruined / abandoned temples with just the top showing above ground (a bit like the Lost City) where adventurers could find themselves in a massive building with plenty of evil still hanging around - maybe even a manifestation of some outer being if the PC's are really careless.

IMO, nothing lasts forever. However, in some cases, things can stick around for a long, long time. So, while Carnifex cities were built to last forever, they could still be submerged by oceans, buried in lava, or shattered by earthquakes. In the latter case, the buildings would hold up a bit better due to their construction, but facades would still crack and bits and pieces would fall off. In basic terms, take a typical ruin and multiply its potential age by ten or so to find a Carnifex equivalent. Does that help?

My Blog is here!
Seer of Yhog
Black Dragon

Postby paleologos » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:43 am

happylarry wrote:So - what ideas do you have for the Isle of Dread?

Well, my wife and I are big fans of Lost and it occurred to me that you could get a lot of ideas from that show...not the least of which is a big, black "smoke" monster that can't be hit with normal weapons! (Might even want to throw a polar bear or two at the PCs).

You could ignore the technological aspects or embrace them (drawing upon Blackmoor lore). Similarly, you could have lots of fun with time travel. Honestly, it's a wellspring of ideas.

(Incidentally, I would highly recommend getting the soundtrack for additional atmosphere while running the adventure...)
paleologos
Bugbear

Postby Wuddy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:19 am

At some point I'm going to be using the Isle of Dread as one of the Mystara vignettes for my game. I was kind of stuck for what to do with it, and I was wondering where I could go with a forbidding, lost to the modern world feel. I was planning on playing up the vodun more than the dinosaurs or pirates, but this carnifex stuff is a real inspiration! I am so going to drop in crazy geometric structures and Lovecraftian temples in the isle interior.

I've also been looking for somewhere to use imagery from Zdzislaw Beksinski in a game, and I think the Isle of Dread might be just the place.
Wuddy
Hobgoblin

Next

Return to Mystara