I'm planning over the next few weeks to run my players through X1 The Isle of Dread - with a few tweaks:
- 1.They'll probably be getting there by accidental teleportation - courtesy of Bargle. So they'll find themsleves in the middle of a tropical paradise, and probably get attacked by a dinasour, and then on with the show. And then...
2. Bargle is using the Island to get together an army - in particular, enslaving natives (noone has returned from the tar pits for a while) and capturing dinosaurs - and so the adventurers will run across various of his raiding parties
3. I want to beef up the central plateau, but other than adding some rooms to the 'dungeon' I'm not sure quite what to do.
there are also a number of other things I'm exploring - courtesy in part from Thorf's lovely map (http://www.pandius.com/isle-of-dread-4.png):
- 1. are there certain areas where the dinasours are and aren't? are they / should they be restricted to a lost valley in the NE of the Island? and where are the dinosaurs from anyway?
2. what about the heat? can you wear metal armour? what about magical armour? I've got the old AD+D wilderness survival guide so could use that - but wondered what others thought
3. at some point I'm inclined to do a 1 mile per hex map. has anyone done any work on this?
4. Looking at the wilderness encounter tables on page 7 and 8 (1983 edition) of the module - where do the other monsters live? for example we have a green dragon lair - but there is also a black and a red dragon mentioned.
5. there are miles of caves just north of the Lizard Men lake - surely more than Trogs live there?
6. Surely the Arenea and other iconic creatures should be more than just a one off encounter?
So - what ideas do you have for the Isle of Dread?
By the way - I haven't got Savage Tide - and am not about to spend the $50+ I'd need to get it (and then have to retro fit it to BECMI) - so I want to build on X1