Page 1 of 7

Fan Productions Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:23 pm
by Havard
Here's an overview of the Mystara Fan Gazetteers and other major fan creations:

Mystara Fanzines Mystara Cartography Mystara Net Almanacs

Mystara Rulebooks

The GAZ F series - Fan Gazetteers ***
Alphatian Mini-Gazetteers ***

Other Gazetteers
***
Fan Adventures
***

The Hollow World Fan Material
***

Dragonsfoot Productions

***
OD&DITIES ***

Other works Works in Italian
Can anyone think of other fan creations that should be added to the list? It is pretty impressive what we have come up with.

Havard

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:58 pm
by Seer of Yhog
Hi Havard!

This is a good start - I would also add Alex Benson's comprehensive Gazetteer of Randel.

Geoff

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:25 pm
by Havard
Seer of Yhog wrote:This is a good start - I would also add Alex Benson's comprehensive Gazetteer of Randel.
Wow, that one had completely escaped me. Thanks Geoff!
It would be nice if we could get all of these made available in a pdf format with nice covers and so on. Anyone up for the task?

BTW, I am thinking about adding the Almanacs to the list as well, even if they aren't Gazetteers as such. :)

Havard

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:34 pm
by agathokles
Two works by Jennifer Guerra I'd also consider:

Gazetteer of Traladara
http://pandius.com/tral_gaz.html

Gazetteer of Belcadiz
http://pandius.com/belcgaz.html

GP

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:50 pm
by OldDawg
Havard,

a few of the GazF links you posted are broken. As soon as they go to the Vaults they are taken off of my webspace, which has a miniscule 5MB cap.

The map of Heldann is: http://www.pandius.com/heldann.gif
The Landfall Gazetteer is: http://www.pandius.com/landfall_gaz.pdf

Also, discussions should be linked to the GazF forum rather than the WotC boards
GazF: viewforum.php?f=33
(Discussion threads developing)

-OD

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:51 pm
by Seer of Yhog
Would we consider the Alphatian mini-gazetteers that were done Jeff Daly, myself, and others?

Geoff

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:54 pm
by hihama
There are other fan-made gazetteers about Alphatian kingdoms in Vaults also. Arogansa, Bettellyn, Blackheart, Floating Ar, Foresthome, Frisland, Greenspur, Haven, and Theranderol. Some of the writers are even still here. Geoff and Andrew, you should promote your work better.
;)

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:55 pm
by OldDawg
After this info gets compiled, I will list it over in the Other Fan Continuities thread at GazF as a sticky archive.

-OD

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:07 pm
by Havard
OldDawg wrote:Havard,

a few of the GazF links you posted are broken. As soon as they go to the Vaults they are taken off of my webspace, which has a miniscule 5MB cap.

The map of Heldann is: http://www.pandius.com/heldann.gif
The Landfall Gazetteer is: http://www.pandius.com/landfall_gaz.pdf

Also, discussions should be linked to the GazF forum rather than the WotC boards
GazF: viewforum.php?f=33
(Discussion threads developing)

-OD
OD, thanks for the links. They should be updated now.

Geoff & Hihama: I don't see why we shouldn't include those as well. If this thread helps spread the word of what is out there, that is great! If you guys could provide me with URLs, that would make my job so much easier. :)

I am also considering some of Guilio Caroletti's work on regions like Nentsun and Wyrmsteeth to be added, but I'm not really sure which link to use for those. They are really impressive pieces though.

OldDawg wrote:After this info gets compiled, I will list it over in the Other Fan Continuities thread at GazF as a sticky archive
Great idea :)

Havard

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:46 pm
by Havard
Okay, I think I got all of the Alphatian mini-gazetteers as well as Simone's Caerdania gaz.

Havard

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:37 pm
by Zendrolion
Havard wrote:Okay, I think I got all of the Alphatian mini-gazetteers as well as Simone's Caerdania gaz.
Don't know if my Caerdania's GAZ (well, draft) is worthy to feature in that list. It's nothing more than a timeline and two maps at the moment. :oops:
As soon as I'm finishing my project on dragons I'll try to work again on it!

BTW, it seems on the Vaults' page hosting my GAZ it's impossible to see the first of the two Caerdania's maps.
However, the link to my page hosting it seems to work... Shawn, could you fix it please? Thank you! :)

Anyway, if we ever manage to form a publishing company and get back rights for Mystara, we're already going to have a full printing schedule! :D

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:59 pm
by Seer of Yhog
Not sure if this counts as a true "gaz" per se, but we also have an Almanac-style entry on the Kingdom of Højgylden, by Isabelle Sarikhan.

Geoff

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:06 pm
by JohnBiles
Not sure if you're accepting alternate visions of places with official gazeteers, but I've done two alternate gazeteers for the Shires and Ierendi:

http://www.thekeep.org/~wombat/Mystara/AIGV1.pdf for Ierendi

http://www.pandius.com/AlternateFiveShiresDraftOne.pdf for the Five Shires

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:15 pm
by Havard
JohnBiles wrote:Not sure if you're accepting alternate visions of places with official gazeteers, but I've done two alternate gazeteers for the Shires and Ierendi:

http://www.thekeep.org/~wombat/Mystara/AIGV1.pdf for Ierendi

http://www.pandius.com/AlternateFiveShiresDraftOne.pdf for the Five Shires
Oh absolutely! I was looking for the Ierendi one actually. Why isn't that one on Pandius yet?

Havard

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:20 pm
by McDeath
I swear there was a site with some other gazatteers that I just can't put my finger on. As I recall the site's links to their own pdfs didn't work if that is any clue. I don't suppose someone can link the site (unless I find it first)?

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:28 pm
by Havard
Seer of Yhog wrote:Not sure if this counts as a true "gaz" per se, but we also have an Almanac-style entry on the Kingdom of Højgylden, by Isabelle Sarikhan.
I dont know about Almanac entries. If I open up to those, there's a whole bunch of them that might be up for consideration. What do others think? Should I make an exception for Højgylden?

Havard

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:36 pm
by agathokles
Havard wrote: I dont know about Almanac entries. If I open up to those, there's a whole bunch of them that might be up for consideration. What do others think? Should I make an exception for Højgylden?
I'd say so. It's a complete description of a nation in Mystara. Of course, so are the descriptions of the Hulean Empire, the Empire of Zuyevo and the Yezchamenid Empire, and all three deserve mention (besides their worth as mini-gazetteers, they are also part of the history of the fan community).

GP

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:51 pm
by Havard
agathokles wrote:I'd say so. It's a complete description of a nation in Mystara. Of course, so are the descriptions of the Hulean Empire, the Empire of Zuyevo and the Yezchamenid Empire, and all three deserve mention (besides their worth as mini-gazetteers, they are also part of the history of the fan community).
Done :)

By the way I wasnt quite sure which page to link to the Hulean Empire. Hopefully I got the best one. It would really have been cool to have all of these available as pdfs...

Havard

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:11 pm
by NPCDave
While I have only had time to read the first two F GAZs, Wendar and Denagoth, I found them to be very well done. So well done in fact, that I changed my plans in my own campaigns. I run two simultaneous campaigns in the Known World with my plan to bring the X11 module into one of them. Instead after reading those two gazeteers I realized that there was too many good campaign seeds to run X11 in isolation.

So to run X11 I will one day run a third campaign with an adventuring group that lives to the north of the Known World.

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:05 pm
by McDeath
Does anyone know of a particular Mystara site that had links to Gazatteers of their own but the links were faulty. For the life of me I can't seem to find the site. I know that finding a site that has faulty links seems a little odd but perhaps I can get a dl link via the Wayback Machine.

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:36 am
by McDeath
This wasn't what I was looking for but here's something short:

DRÜT Island Gazetteer

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:56 am
by McDeath
AH HA! I finally found the site:

Mystara.FR

Hmm, I guess we already have those pdfs. Go Figure. You know what would be swell? If all the Almanacs got redone (particulalary the ones that are split by some program) on the pandius site. I mean this link:

Mystara Net Almanac

Take a look at 1016. I've never been able to put the split back together.

EDIT --- er, maybe I meant the pdf for 1017. Sure I could have a RTF but I want a pdf of 1017

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:39 am
by stanles
Havard wrote:
JohnBiles wrote:Not sure if you're accepting alternate visions of places with official gazeteers, but I've done two alternate gazeteers for the Shires and Ierendi:

http://www.thekeep.org/~wombat/Mystara/AIGV1.pdf for Ierendi

http://www.pandius.com/AlternateFiveShiresDraftOne.pdf for the Five Shires
Oh absolutely! I was looking for the Ierendi one actually. Why isn't that one on Pandius yet?

Havard
I dunno, John?

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:12 am
by JohnBiles
stanles wrote:
Havard wrote:
JohnBiles wrote:Not sure if you're accepting alternate visions of places with official gazeteers, but I've done two alternate gazeteers for the Shires and Ierendi:

http://www.thekeep.org/~wombat/Mystara/AIGV1.pdf for Ierendi

http://www.pandius.com/AlternateFiveShiresDraftOne.pdf for the Five Shires
Oh absolutely! I was looking for the Ierendi one actually. Why isn't that one on Pandius yet?

Havard
I dunno, John?
I don't know, just one small section of it is up on Pandius. But I'd certainly like it to be on Pandius!

Re: Fan Gazetteers Overview

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:34 am
by Havard
McDeath wrote:This wasn't what I was looking for but here's something short:

DRÜT Island Gazetteer
Wow, there's something I haven't seen. The author, Marc-Antoine Guidault, sounds familiar somehow. More for the next Pandius update Shawn?

(added to the list)

Havard