[Thorn's Chronicle Crunch]Of Weavers and Weaving

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

RobJN
Dire Flumph

[Thorn's Chronicle Crunch]Of Weavers and Weaving

Post by RobJN » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:43 am

Just finished initial notes on the the two major groups of weavers on Mystara: Sundsvall Initiates and Ciprian Wilders.

I welcome feedback (advice, criticism, etc.) on the (forthcoming) mechanics of weaves, weaving, and the different traditions among the nations of the Known World.

A heads up, yes, this will be (attempting to, anyway) putting a BEMCI wrapper around existing mechanics from Wizards' Wheel of Time RPG. I didn't realize until I really started digging into things just how hard it is to go backwards in editions!

I still haven't fully worked out how to take care of feats. I was thinking of planting them at certain levels like they did for the special abilities of the Mystic class, but that seems to take a lot of the freedom and flexibility away from players. ("I want to multiweave right off the bat, why do I have to wait until 5th level for that??")
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [Thorn's Chronicle Crunch]Of Weavers and Weaving

Post by RobJN » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:36 pm

Initial write ups for the Sundsvall Initiate and Ciprian Wilder have been posted. The charts for their weaves-by-level have been posted, though I'm still working on drafting the weaves themselves.
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:09 am

What, no Black Weavers? I really like the link to WoT Rob, a great idea and one I really want to bring to my 2E game as well.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:31 am

Azaghal wrote:What, no Black Weavers? I really like the link to WoT Rob, a great idea and one I really want to bring to my 2E game as well.
The first rule of being a Black Weaver is we don't talk about Black Weavers ;) :twisted:

Hope you can get some mileage out of my (not even remotely playtested) rules meandering.
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:58 pm

After a bit of reorganizing, finally, some rules for the Magic of Thorn's Mystara
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:28 am

A bit of reworking the material to scooch it to fit into the Basic D&D framework, and we have the first Talent: Skyweaving: Control of Winds and the Weather.

Existing D&D Druid spells cover a lot of the effects, but the weaver's "slots per day" runs pretty close to existing cleric/wizard levels, in terms of when the effects would be used, level-wise.

Mind you, though the powers mimic Druid spells, they completely sidestep the "natural balance" flavor notion I've built into the druidic magic of Thorn's Mystara.
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:58 pm

Rules for the collar-and-bracelet, as seen on Golithar and Jolenta, and still worn by the two weavers accompanying Thorn & company.

Let me know what you think!
Rob

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:45 pm

RobJN wrote:Rules for the collar-and-bracelet, as seen on Golithar and Jolenta, and still worn by the two weavers accompanying Thorn & company.

Very, very cool. :geek:

Any specifics on the creation of this item (and possibly how to create one)?
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:39 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
RobJN wrote:Rules for the collar-and-bracelet, as seen on Golithar and Jolenta, and still worn by the two weavers accompanying Thorn & company.

Very, very cool. :geek:

Any specifics on the creation of this item (and possibly how to create one)?
Since this is something that shouldn't be in the hands of players... no, no creation rules as such. These I would consider minor artifacts in the BECMI D&D rules -- more than likely, they require a boon of Alphaks (or perhaps Zugzul) to ensure they work properly.

I did consider having one of the elements used in the creation of the spellbinder be orihalcon. There are several conflicting descriptions of the metal: some say it is a blend of gold and silver (very fitting with that ongoing theme of Thorn's Chronicle). Other descriptions say it is a mix of gold and copper, or brass. Yet other sources say it is a metallic-pink colored metal. This sounds a lot like the Savage Coast's cinnabryl to me.

Perhaps the secret of their crafting is lost, and the Glantrians can't actually make more, simply reusing those they carried with them over their own Exile.

Thorn and company don't know it yet, but Glantrians make use of bloodhound-stock lupins to hunt down rogue weavers who have escaped their shepherds so they can retrieve the spellbinders and exact punishment on the weaver who dared defy her betters....

Of course, if you have any ideas, feel free to pitch them in! This isn't really something I've totally thought through, and am open to anything that makes for a good story. If you have the know-how to work this through another edition's (I'm looking at you, 3.x) magic item creation system, I'd love to see how the numbers work out. I never had the patience to get a handle on the item creation rules. :oops:

I'm also open to a better name for this contraption. :roll:
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:20 pm

Earth Singing: Weaves of the Land have been added to the Magic of Thorn's Chronicle section of the main site.

Coming soon: Elementalism: Weaves of Air and Flame
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:42 pm

Ciprian Spellbindings have been updated to include further information on the benefits of the collar-and-bracelet connection.
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:04 pm

For those interested, I have (finally!) added the two weavers from Thorn's Chronicle to the mix of characters.

And, yes, they do have names! :P (Only took a year and a half to come up with them...) :oops:
Rob

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:36 am

RobJN wrote:Just finished initial notes on the the two major groups of weavers on Mystara: Sundsvall Initiates and Ciprian Wilders.
This requires login. Would it be possible to host the info somewhere without restricted access?

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:45 am

The Angelic Dragon wrote:
RobJN wrote:Just finished initial notes on the the two major groups of weavers on Mystara: Sundsvall Initiates and Ciprian Wilders.
This requires login. Would it be possible to host the info somewhere without restricted access?
Ah, my old .mac website that Apple closed when they opened up the iCloud service. :oops: That information has been "reprinted" in pages 13-16 of the Netbook
Rob

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:10 am

RobJN wrote:Ah, my old .mac website that Apple closed when they opened up the iCloud service. :oops: That information has been "reprinted" in pages 13-16 of the Netbook
Okey-doke, good to know.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Return to “Mystara”