Endless Quest Books for Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII

Endless Quest Books for Mystara

Postby Havard » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:32 pm

I have made a list of the Endless Quest books. I have removed the books that are officially linked to other settings. All of these books were published after the creation of the Known World. The Endless Quest books all carry the "classic" D&D logo which would associate them with Mystara. The Super Endless Quest books sometimes bore the AD&D logo, but some of these books are in fact identified as set i Mystara.

Endless Quest Books Series 1

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endless_Quest

Endless Quest: Crimson Crystal Series

Endless Quest Series 2

Super Endless Quest (aka AD&D Adventure Gamebooks)

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_D ... _Gamebooks

TSR Pick a Path to Adventure Books / Fantasy Forest Series

**These Three books are set in the same world. Sir Gregor, Knight of the Golden Dragon appears as an NPC in all the books. Possibly connected to Blackmoor.

Source: https://rpggeek.com/rpg/4575/tsr-pick-p ... ture-books

Green means that I own the book. Does anyone have any of the other books? Any thoughts to their possible setting within Mystara?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Endless Quest Books for Mystara

Postby Birchbeer » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:55 pm

I own this:
4 Return to Brookmere D&D Rose Estes.

Additionally, "in theory" I own more of these books. They are lost somewhere at my parents house and I've searched through their basement over a dozen times to locate them... I know I've read:
1 Dungeon of Dread D&D Rose Estes
2 Mountain of Mirrors D&D Rose Estes
3 Pillars of Pentegarn D&D Rose Estes
5 Revolt of the Dwarves D&D Rose Estes
6 Revenge of the Rainbow Dragons D&D Rose Estes
14 Raid on Nightmare Castle D&D Catherine McGuire
22 The Endless Catacombs D&D Margaret Weis (last book I got of them)
My memory of the above is, at best, sketchy (I last read these books over 20 years ago).

As for Brookmere, it's about an elf going back to his family castle which was overrun sometime by goblinnoids and giants. It turns out his amulet he wears is a sentient magical artifact gifted to him to help him out (as the amulet sees fit, sometimes he's not very helpful).

If you take a bunch of different courses you find out your castle was overrun by a mixed force of goblins, hobgoblins, possibly gnolls and hill giants led by a wererat (only one is seen but more could be present. Most of the castle above ground is ruins, but the dungeons are still intact.

The castle magician cast a spell that cost his life to freeze time so that most of the castle occupants could flee. Also, the elves their kept Giant Weasels as pets and apparently they remember their lost elven masters, are semi-sentient and are terrorizing the occupying forces (who can't make heads nor tails of what is eating them). There several endings, some you die in, others you return to your father and report on what you've seen.

There could be more to the story, the above is what I remember from reading with my son.

As for setting fitting in, I imagine it could be set in several places where elves have strongholds. The tricky thing is I'm not sure elves are known for building castles in all their cultures, so you'd need to pick ones that do or could. I'm thinking Northern Wendor may fit. Also, I'm not aware of the statistics on Giant Weasels nor how trainable they are.
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Postby Cthulhudrew » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:57 pm

I've been thinking about trying to pick these up again; I used to have most of the early EQ books when I was younger. Been checking out listings on Ebay for them.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:01 pm

I remember some of these containing AD&D concepts, despite the label. I suppose after Mystara's translation to 2e, though, that's not much of a barrier.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:35 pm

Birchbeer wrote:I own this:
4 Return to Brookmere D&D Rose Estes.

Additionally, "in theory" I own more of these books. They are lost somewhere at my parents house and I've searched through their basement over a dozen times to locate them... I know I've read:
<snip>

Great! This means we have alot of material covered already.

Thanks for the summary of Brookmere. It would be nice if we could get some notes on each of the books in the series, perhaps in the end making a map marking the locations of each book?

Cthulhudrew wrote:I've been thinking about trying to pick these up again; I used to have most of the early EQ books when I was younger. Been checking out listings on Ebay for them.

Excellent. Let us know if you come across some. Perhaps you remember if any of them were suited for Mystara?

ripvanwormer wrote:I remember some of these containing AD&D concepts, despite the label. I suppose after Mystara's translation to 2e, though, that's not much of a barrier.

True. I am not sure about how much we should worry about that? In most cases I suspect we will be talking about adapting the books for Mystara, rather than discovering that they are officially placed there. Vanishing City is the only exception I can think of so far.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ghendar » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Ah, Endless Quest books. Pretty much got me into D&D back then.
Carpe Diem = Seize the day. Carp In Denim = Fish in pants.
Carpe DM. A phrase I don't want to hear, unless it's being uttered by an attractive female gamer.
ghendar
Hill Giant

Postby Cthulhudrew » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Offhand, several of the EQ books would work in Mystara, even if not especially well. Mountains of Ice would work in Norwold; the Pentagarn series could work in Alphatia; Brookmere and Dungeon of Dread could work just about anywhere. Not sure where or if the Revolt of the Dwarves could fit.

It's been so long, though, that I don't really recall too well on any of them. If/when I fill out my collection again, you can bet I'll post some thoughts (that's actually one of the reasons I want to pick them up again.)
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:14 pm

Interestingly, WotC is coming out with a new board gamenamed after the first Endless Quest Book. I wonder if the connection ends there?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:51 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Offhand, several of the EQ books would work in Mystara, even if not especially well. Mountains of Ice would work in Norwold; the Pentagarn series could work in Alphatia; Brookmere and Dungeon of Dread could work just about anywhere. Not sure where or if the Revolt of the Dwarves could fit.

Excellent, this gives us a great starting point. Revolt of the Dwarves sounds interesting. Is this about a dwarven realm, or dwarves revolting against someone else?

It's been so long, though, that I don't really recall too well on any of them. If/when I fill out my collection again, you can bet I'll post some thoughts (that's actually one of the reasons I want to pick them up again.)

Looking forward to it! :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:57 pm

Havard wrote:Excellent, this gives us a great starting point. Revolt of the Dwarves sounds interesting. Is this about a dwarven realm, or dwarves revolting against someone else?

As I recall, evil dwarves who had long served the kingdom as part of the military revolted against the rightful human rulers of a kingdom and turned it into a dwarven tyranny, leaving the human protagonist to help put the stunties back in their place. I have no idea how you'd fit that into Mystaran history.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:30 am

Yeah, I don't recall the specifics of the plot of Revolt too well. It would definitely have to be fit into some "lesser" known realm, though, and not the Known World. Possibly a case could be made for Denwarf-Hurgon in Alphatia, depending on exactly what the story was, but more likely it would have to be somewhere relatively uncharted- the Isle of Dawn, maybe.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Havard » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:50 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Yeah, I don't recall the specifics of the plot of Revolt too well. It would definitely have to be fit into some "lesser" known realm, though, and not the Known World. Possibly a case could be made for Denwarf-Hurgon in Alphatia, depending on exactly what the story was, but more likely it would have to be somewhere relatively uncharted- the Isle of Dawn, maybe.

My initial thought was to have it during the dwarven occupation of the Five Shires. Would require some tweaks though...

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Flipped through the Kingdom of Sorcery Trilogy last night. This consists of the three books:
Sceptre of Power
The Sorcerer's Crown
Clash of the Sorcerers

Anyway, there are alot of Greyhawk-isms in these books such as references to Lolth and Pazuzu. The setting is a Kingdom called Tikandia and the Isle of Seashore. Not sure those are actually in Greyhawk, but I am leaning towards skipping these books for Mystara.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Castle Quarras
Since this is authored by Doug Niles, it would be cool if it was possible to place it in Norwold.

It is set in the City of Quarras, ruled by King Kerrel. A nearby land is the Glacier of Isenthrall. The King once led an expedition to Isenthrall from which he brought back the Gem of Illystria. Since then, over the last decade, the King has fallen under the enchantment of his new advisor, the wizard Kharseron. You play Derek Shadowalker, Thief of the realm.

Some other interesting tidbits: Members of the Assasin's Guild wear black headbands. A red mark on your headband indicates a Master Slayer.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby blackdaggr » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:21 pm

I have Brookmere, Nightmare Castle, and Petegarn. All of them seem to be set in a generic fantasy world.
blackdaggr
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:45 am

Havard wrote:Endless Quest Series 2
All these books have been identified as belonging to other settings, possibly with the exception of the two DragonStrike books.

What "evidence" do you have that DragonStike has a connection to Mystara? :?:

I've got the four young adult novels, as well as the Endless Quest books. I've only read the four novels, so far. They didn't really give a lot of names of locations.

But the Wildspace video establishes that "Wildspace" is above the DragonStike planet. And from what I can tell of the Wildspace product line, the DragonStike crystal sphere is controlled by four artefacts called "The Elementals".
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:15 am

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:Endless Quest Series 2
All these books have been identified as belonging to other settings, possibly with the exception of the two DragonStrike books.

What "evidence" do you have that DragonStike has a connection to Mystara? :?:

I've got the four young adult novels, as well as the Endless Quest books. I've only read the four novels, so far. They didn't really give a lot of names of locations.

But the Wildspace video establishes that "Wildspace" is above the DragonStike planet. And from what I can tell of the Wildspace product line, the DragonStike crystal sphere is controlled by four artefacts called "The Elementals".

There is a possible connection between DragonStrike and Thunder Rift. This connection could be limited to the fact that the DragonStrike logo is derived from the Classic D&D logo used in the Thunder Rift period of publishing. The connection to the SJ setting doesnt neccessarily contradict this since the First Quest box (also from the same period) also connects SJ and Mystara.

"The Elementals" artifacts are interesting.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:00 pm

Although they did not use the Endless Quest label, I have added the TSR Pick a Path to Adventure Books / Fantasy Forest Series to the original post:

TSR Pick a Path to Adventure Books / Fantasy Forest Series

**These Three books are set in the same world. Sir Gregor, Knight of the Golden Dragon appears as an NPC in all the books. Possibly connected to Blackmoor.

Source: https://rpggeek.com/rpg/4575/tsr-pick-p ... ture-books

Green means that I own the book. Does anyone have any of the other books? Any thoughts to their possible setting within Mystara?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Robin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:15 pm

nice list havard
now i know which ones i can buy at the bookmarket in amsterdam
they have several
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Fire Giant

Postby Havard » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:39 pm

"The reader, as Brion the elf, must drive out a horde of monsters from his father's castle and locate a treasure hidden in the dungeon."

In Return to Brookmere, you will be an elven fighter named Brion. As Brion, you are five feet tall and weight 100 pounds. You have shoulder-length honey blonde hair, pointed ears, and brilliant gray-green eyes. Like all elves, you have elvensight allowing you to see object up to 60 feet away in the dark by the heat they give off. Although elves are not as strong as humans, they are very clever and quick. Elves are able to speak the languages of orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, and gnolls as well as the "common" language of humans.
For your adventure, your father, King Cedrus, has given you a finely made suit of silvery chainmail that covers you from head to waist. Chain mail looks like a heavy knit silver sweater but it's woven from metal, not wool. Chainmail is light, flexible and will protect you in combat. You wear your chainmail under a purple wool tunic. Sturdy black leather breeches and tall black boots complete your outfit. You are armed with a sword and a dagger and carry a polished metal shield. A leather pouch filled with food and water is tied at your waist.
There is a heavy gold chain around your neck. At the end of the chain is a golden charm, worked in precious gems, in the shape of dragon's head. The charm is the fabled amulet, the Mouth of Mimulus. With the help of this magical necklace, you will be able to speak with and understand any creature you meet on your adventure.
The dangers awaiting you will challenge your skills to the limit. Gather your wits about you. Take a firm hold on your sword, and take the first step into . . . adventure!

You are leading a party of four elven fighters on a scouting mission to the ruins of your former home, Castle Brookmere.
Once this beautiful castle was filled with laughter and song. All that is gone now. Long ago, in the time of the Great Hunger, orcs, giants and other monsters swept down from the Far Frost Lands into Brookmere in search of food and treasure. They destroyed everything in their path, including Castle Brookmere.
The outnumbered defenders of Brookmere were taken by surprise. They had no time to call on neighboring kingdoms for help. Although they fought valiantly, the elves had little hope of victory against the hordes of monsters. Your father, King Cedrus, sadly ordered his people to retreat to avoid their complete destruction.
Your family and friends fled Brookmere, saving only the few possessions they could carry on their backs. Your last memory of your beloved home is of foul monsters screaming insults at you from the captured castle's walls. Broken with grief, your father shook his fist at the ugly faces and vowed to return one day.
Now he has sent you on a quest with four elven fighters to discover what remains of his castle and the treasure hidden in the dungeon beneath it.
Your party stops at the edge of the forest that once ringed the castle and stares in disbelief. The only thing that still stands is the broken shell of a tower. All else is ruins. Scattered across the ground are enormous piles of boulders. The most noticeable feature on the ruined landscape is a wide black hole in the area of the castle that one housed the dungeon treasure vault.
With the aid of your friends, you push aside some of the rocks and follow a winding stairway down into the gaping hole. You are halfway down when the stairs and part of the walls collapse. You seem to fall forever and are knocked unconscious.
You awaken in silent darkness. Every bone in your body feels broken and your mouth is as dry as the desert. You wonder what has happened to your friends. Far above you, you can see a faint light and the rim of the hole. Below, you can make out the dim outline of a passageway leading into the dongeons

Source: http://sciencefictionmuseum.org/EQ004/E ... .htm?Pg=Bg

I am more and more liking the idea of adapting this story to Wendar or perhaps the Wendar/Denagoth border.

"King" Cedrus may have been a local Elf Lord whose lands were overtaken by humanoids from Denagoth. At the end of the story, his son Brion might be succesful in retaking and rebuilding his family castle of Brookmere.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:26 pm

Finally managed to find some reasonably priced copies of several of these at a comic-con a few weeks ago. $1 apiece; I picked up the first 12-15 or so. Missing the one I most wanted, Return to Brookmere, as well as the sequel to Pillars of Pentegarn (Revenge of the Rainbow Dragons).

Have only read a couple of them so far, and not exhaustively. I went through ones that I never owned and/or read first (Villains of Volturnus, Robbers and Robots). I have parsed through Pillars of Pentegarn, Mountain of Mirrors, and Revolt of the Dwarves, all of which I originally owned and was familiar with. They really are far more sparse on setting info than I'd thought.

I tend to stick to my original hypothesis on Revolt of the Dwarves; if setting it in Mystara, it would probably work best in the Denwarf-Hurgon region, in one of the surrounding predominantly human areas, where they might rely on a dwarvish military or elite guard for their protection. Given the fairy ties in it (Treants, Dryads, Pixies), I'd say it could fit into either southern Trollhattan, Stoutfellow, western Haven, or even southern Frisland.

Mountain of Mirrors really only involves a valley of elves near the mountain of Shanafria, so could work very well in Norwold.

Pillars of Pentegarn I'm not sure about. Again, offhand Alphatia probably fits, but I want to try and find Revenge of the Rainbow Dragons to see if there is anything more in there.

All in all, though, I'm half-tempted to try and just write up an "Endless Quest" campaign setting separate from all other worlds, just based on the meager info in these books.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Robin » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:51 pm

I always try to get these (thanx to the list above) on the amsterdam book market (saterdays) there is a fantasy stand selling D&D stuff...I found a Rules cyclopedia for only 9 euro last time...i already and heavily use two but i was surely tempted
However back to the EQ series, Those I have are good, and indeed very simple to impose somewhere in mystara
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Fire Giant

Postby julius_cleaver » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:50 am

Huh...the Mountain of Mirrors sounded familiar...so I did a Google Image search...and sure enough I own it! I had completely forgotten about it. Went downstairs and rummaged through my box of many times read fantasy novels, and there it was.

I think my parents gave me this as a "stocking stuffer" soon after it came out. My younger brother, who did play in my Mystara campaign, was eight years younger. As a result we carried the Santa thing out for quite awhile growing up. I think even my sister and I got to do the honors the last two years.

Anyway...I wish I had more of these! AND: As Robin said...great list Havard!
Last edited by julius_cleaver on Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog
julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Morfie » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:29 am

Has anybody converted these to D&D modules?
Morfie
Metamorph

Postby religon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:17 pm

Morfie wrote:Has anybody converted these to D&D modules?

I looked at doing so once, but it seemed a large task. Perhaps harder than writing a new module and certainly harder than adapting a traditional module's ruleset or challenge level.
religon
Gnoll

Next

Return to Mystara