Endless Quest Books for Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII

Re: Endless Quest Books for Mystara

Postby RobJN » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:45 pm

Havard wrote:"The reader, as Brion the elf, must drive out a horde of monsters from his father's castle and locate a treasure hidden in the dungeon."

Source: http://sciencefictionmuseum.org/EQ004/E ... .htm?Pg=Bg

I am more and more liking the idea of adapting this story to Wendar or perhaps the Wendar/Denagoth border.

"King" Cedrus may have been a local Elf Lord whose lands were overtaken by humanoids from Denagoth. At the end of the story, his son Brion might be succesful in retaking and rebuilding his family castle of Brookmere.

-Havard

You could set this in a certain barony in the North, too :twisted:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby JTrithen » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:39 am

This is a great list, havard!

Seems like the Pick a Path / Fantasy Forest book #9 (Jason's First Quest) could be set in Milenia (in the Hollow World). The locations in the book might be very specific, though, if they are implicitely set in the RW Greece (though mythic). That would take a little more converting.

That's kind of funny that only one specific book was implicitly set in a Mystara setting -- (Super Endless Quest #15, The Vanishing City.
It seems like the title immediately under that one, (#18) Prince of Thieves, could possibly be set in the thieve's capital of the Norwld, i.e., Landfall. But if it has some made up city/town locations in the novel itself then that would be harder to "ret-con."

As for many of the other D&D books, I'm okay with having adventures set in other lands, or dimensions that the characters could occasionally visit, in my campaign.

As a matter of fact, if I had occasion to just conveniently place some kingdom or reference from certain books into other places from other worlds, Laterre could possibly be used.

lastly, I have a few kingdoms around the Sylvan Realm region. The Thunder Rift setting implies there are other countries around Thunder Rift, and decided that that secluded valley and its nearby (mostly-)human kingdoms would be around the Sylvan Realms. So, I could place a few other realms there, too, from the books. Those are just my ideas. Without lots of additional time, it wouldn't be something I'd pursue, but it could be fun. I do like picking up every little tidbit of canon that can be used in shoehorning D&D into the Known World and Mystara setting.
JTrithen
Ogre

Postby Havard » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Found some more books. These were published in the mid 1980s and were simply labelled Solo Gamebooks. I don't know much about them yet.

This website has more details on the books: https://gamebooks.org/Series/291

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Havard wrote:Found some more books. These were published in the mid 1980s and were simply labelled Solo Gamebooks. I don't know much about them yet.

They were books designed for two players, each of which would play one of the characters. I played Revenge of the Red Dragon with my sister (who played the dragon and beat me handily); I remember it had the Tarrasque in it, so it was based on AD&D rather than BECMI.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby ghendar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:29 pm

Morfie wrote:Has anybody converted these to D&D modules?

The closest I ever got was trying to draw dungeons for a couple of the early ones like Dungeons of Dread.
Carpe Diem = Seize the day. Carp In Denim = Fish in pants.
Carpe DM. A phrase I don't want to hear, unless it's being uttered by an attractive female gamer.
ghendar
Hill Giant

Previous

Return to Mystara