One decade per edition?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Havard
Dragon Turtle

One decade per edition?

Post by Havard » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:25 pm

The Classic D&D default setting for Mystara is AC1000.
The AD&D Mystara line is set around AC1010 (or a few years later)
Would that logically suggest that a hypothetical 3E Mystara would have been set in AC1020 (with the Savage Tide, perhaps)?
And that an even more hypothetical Mystara 4E will be set in AC1030?

Ofcourse, the FR leapt a century with 4E...

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: One decade per edition?

Post by night_druid » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:32 pm

For what purpose? An official, WotC-printed book? Or for the purposes of fan products?
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:45 pm

night_druid wrote:For what purpose? An official, WotC-printed book? Or for the purposes of fan products?
Well, I'm not saying fan products should follow this set-up. IIRC the Mystara 3E project will be set in AC1000, which makes alot of sense to me. On the other hand I do like to speculate to what Mystara's future will be like. I am not suggesting that Dragonborn and Thieflings should start apearing in Mystara in AC1030 though. My enthusiasm for WotC Meta-setting material has declined somewhat over the last few months. ;)

Still, D&D 5E with Mystara AC1040 as its Flagship setting.... 8-)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:10 pm

Havard wrote:
night_druid wrote:For what purpose? An official, WotC-printed book? Or for the purposes of fan products?
Well, I'm not saying fan products should follow this set-up. IIRC the Mystara 3E project will be set in AC1000, which makes alot of sense to me. On the other hand I do like to speculate to what Mystara's future will be like. I am not suggesting that Dragonborn and Thieflings should start apearing in Mystara in AC1030 though. My enthusiasm for WotC Meta-setting material has declined somewhat over the last few months. ;)

Still, D&D 5E with Mystara AC1040 as its Flagship setting.... 8-)
Ah, telfling ninjas and dragonborn brothels to look forward to! ;) And the Keep on the Borderlands becomes a giant flying fortress over the shattered ruins of the Known World (except for the kingdoms of good-guy orcs, goblins, and kobolds fighting bad-guy humans, elves, & dwarves), whose land has been so distorted and warped by reality-busting, raging magic that there's almost nothing habitable left :twisted:

Hausman
Bugbear

Post by Hausman » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:31 am

Havard :
I have remembered about previous MMB post about some speculations about 1020/1030 timeline...very good post,well i prefer annual almanac edition year by year ( not like WotI...that resumes 10 years on 1book) but i think that a good idea is keep in mind all alamanacs can be made adaptables to all editions ( some notes inside book if necessary about 1st ed. but acompaign some posts with sugestion to suport it to others editions ).

but about 10 years per edition.. long time ago i lost any hope that WotC retake any mystara book :/
hey! talking about almanacs...and about put some artwors (draws)on it? i could draw something if someone want it!! :)

Plaag
Troll

Post by Plaag » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:19 am

The Almanacs advance the years by 1010+Year-1991 so the current year could be AC1027 if you wanted to go this route.

ShaneG.
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:23 pm

Hausman wrote: hey! talking about almanacs...and about put some artwors (draws)on it? i could draw something if someone want it!! :)
I'm currently re-editing the 1014 almanac (for a start). Chris should draw us a cover, but I'm all for adding interior illustrations.
Feel free to send me drawings!

If you need a quick reminder of what happened in 1014, here's a list I collated, events-wise:
The Princess Ark explores the HW
The two pharaohs of Nithia, civil war
Dogrel enslaves the Torolai, who retaliate
Traldar heroes' quest leads them to the Schattenalfen
In the wake of the extension of the Red Curse, baronial intrigue goes unabated while the Hulean shadow extends over the city-states and the savage baronies
Establishement of Nouvelle Renardie
Eusdrian attempt to stop the spread of the amber lotuses
War among the city-states and threat to cinnabryl supplies
Lothar threatened by Milenians, helped by proselyting HK
After the return of the Karameikan Polar expedition, revelation that Alphatia survived in the HW
Quest for the Blue Knife prompts the Great Migration
NACE created, expands, gains recognition
Hard-ball
SE/AE attempt to save Canolbarth in an uneasy, failed common attempt
Gareth faith spreads in Sind, Darokin, Karameikos, SC
War in Esterhold, republic proclaimed
Heldanners revolt, HK lose their patron's favor
Synn loses power in Glantri, Etienne interfers
Synn intrigues in Ylaruam, Broken Lands
Fall of the Falun Caverns kobolds, Thar raids Rhoona, Psa'gh and Thar unite but are defeated by the Northmen
United humanoids in the Orclands, dragon Khordarg awakened
Birth of Thyatian princess
World Games
Raising of Aengmor City, New Way of Rafiel and cult of Atz, civil war
Ethengarians skirmish with the HK, fight among themselves, then ride to war against Glantri
Ylari civil war, Kin takes power, expels foreigners
Information Wants To Be Free
Hervé Musseau http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1223372668

Hausman
Bugbear

Post by Hausman » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:18 pm

Hey Andaire ( Hervé ), how are you? :)
hehehe.. i know well 1014 ( i have playing 3 mystara champaigns on 1014- rockhome, wendar and glantri) actualy i´m on sviftmont/eirmont :)
not only me but Rafael Ramos ( interior Fgaz Landfall ) could make some draws to 1014 almanac ( it could be a honor!!)...what you think about 2 pictures per month?, after we can discuss about Npc session , atlas and so...
some days ago, i was thinking about put a post about opinions draws to 1019 (how event would be most interesting to make some draw) ...but if 1014 is priority, no problem :)
do you prefer a pre-based choised event to draw or create some post and see how event would be more interesting to draw ( acordly with other peoples)?
Hausman.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:07 pm

The MA1019 is not currently a priority because it has just been released :? Well Book III (Adventures) is not out, but until then I had some time and started to reedit the older almanacs, starting with the first one, AC 1014. That's why it's the priority now. If you it pretty well thanks to playing through that year recently, all the better!
I'm actually almost done, and will be awaiting the illustrations, before proceeding with he final layout.
Anyway, feel free to pick events from the almanac that inspire you. The list above was just a reminder of the main threads, but if you already know them that's even better. You may already have seen events that, when you read them, struck you as totally yours to illustrate :)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:15 pm

Andaire, will you be referring to the re-edited versions of the Almanacs as the 2nd edition? :)

Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:00 pm

Havard wrote:Andaire, will you be referring to the re-edited versions of the Almanacs as the 2nd edition? :)

Havard
That's something that, I think, should be referred to as a printing or revision at the most... more likely a printing, since there will be no actual revision (as far as I am aware) to the substance of the material--only grammar and layout.

Everyone has one,
Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Andaire
Stone Giant

Post by Andaire » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:45 pm

They are indeed called printings. In fact it will be the third printing, as Fabrizio already released a second printing long ago (I think it was called v1.1...). Other almanacs that undergo this treatment in the future may be second printing only, though (although I believe some were already in their second printing).
While the material is not substantially altered, it is not left untouched either. It is a little more than just grammar and layout. Content is reorganized somewhat (notably into two book, atlas and events), some things have been reedited or rephrased for various reasons, and some content has even been added, although it is minor. But there are no new or changed events, for example: the real content is the same. Illustrations and cover will be new content, when I receive them.

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:19 pm

Havard wrote:The Classic D&D default setting for Mystara is AC1000.
The AD&D Mystara line is set around AC1010 (or a few years later)
Would that logically suggest that a hypothetical 3E Mystara would have been set in AC1020 (with the Savage Tide, perhaps)?
And that an even more hypothetical Mystara 4E will be set in AC1030?
There was discussion about M3e (mine, not Jenni's) being set in AC1020... and I was all for it, but popular demand required me to set my stuff in AC1000.
All in all, I think a decade per edition is a good rule of thumb (both in setting timeline and between public releases of new editions of the game).

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Shannon
Orc

Post by Shannon » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:40 am

With a tip o' the hat to the old chestnut that "in real D&D, elf is a class," may I propose that, in real D&D, dragonborn are lizardmen and tieflings are diaboli?

(I mean this remark good-naturedly and with repsect to those who may enjoy later editions; save your rotting vegetables, please, good people of the piazza!)

Mike
Ogre

Post by Mike » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:14 pm

Diaboli makes perfect sense. Dragonborn I'm thinking are drakes. There needs to be a reason these creatures suddenly appear in the world though. Maybe dragon born are native to the squamous kingdoms or the hinterlands. Something remote and exotic that also expands the world.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:40 am
With a tip o' the hat to the old chestnut that "in real D&D, elf is a class," may I propose that, in real D&D, dragonborn are lizardmen and tieflings are diaboli?

(I mean this remark good-naturedly and with repsect to those who may enjoy later editions; save your rotting vegetables, please, good people of the piazza!)
My version of Mystara has the fey and dragons linked in some ages-old treaty going back to the Beastman Crusades of Blackmoor. Some legends have said that fey have the power to become dragons, under the right circumstances. Perhaps the dragonborn is an "in-between" stage of that transformation...? :geek:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:19 pm

Mike wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:14 pm
Diaboli makes perfect sense. Dragonborn I'm thinking are drakes. There needs to be a reason these creatures suddenly appear in the world though. Maybe dragon born are native to the squamous kingdoms or the hinterlands. Something remote and exotic that also expands the world.
How about having Dragonborn be the result of long term inbreeding between Drakes and Humans/Demihumans?

The first generation could appear just like another Drake, but if two Half-Drakes have a child it becomes a Dragonborn etc? Over centuries this race is now becoming numerous enough to notice?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:19 pm
How about having Dragonborn be the result of long term inbreeding between Drakes and Humans/Demihumans?

The first generation could appear just like another Drake, but if two Half-Drakes have a child it becomes a Dragonborn etc? Over centuries this race is now becoming numerous enough to notice?
I honestly would use drakes instead of dragonborn. I think they're better suited as "Playable Dragons", IMHO. Much easier to integrate into existing settings, particularly places where "monsters" aren't welcomed.

Return to “Mystara”