Kal's World Map

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Kal's World Map

Postby BardicFire » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:56 pm

new here, starting my own Mystaran campaign (using custom rules based on White Wolf D10 system). first off I just thought I'd make a thread devoted to Kal's brilliant World map, downloadable here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7FV3FRL9

I have a question however, and that is has anyone done this map with labels?
It has every town, ruin, tower, etc. marked, but no names, borders, etc.
even if it just covered Major Cities and national borders that'd be good. Just trying to get an understanding where EVERYTHING is.
Growing up reading Gazetteer modules spoils you for modern gaming campaign resources.
BardicFire
Gnoll

Re: Kal's World Map

Postby Birchbeer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:21 pm

I did an eastern part of Brun, Isle of Dawn and some of Alphatia map here.

I think there are some other maps that may help as well on here and Pandius for areas outside of that.
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Postby BardicFire » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:47 pm

I guess I could technically make it myself, but as I am only really good at using MSPaint (and crap at The GIMP or Inkscape) I doubt my abilities.
Growing up reading Gazetteer modules spoils you for modern gaming campaign resources.
BardicFire
Gnoll

Postby multizar » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:06 am

While I really like Kal's Map. I have found that the coastline of Brun does not match up with the Isle of Dawn.
Whenever I have spare time, I am working on fixing Brun in my version of Kal's map including lables.
Now that Carillion has come out with a new northern Brun map, I am doing some more modifications and adding new stuff all the time. It looks like I will have to redo most of central Brun as well. Here is some older examples that I have since finished and my copy of Kal's map hanging in my garage.(I still love to look at this thing :D )

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

I do what I have to do so I can do what I want to do
Check out when you can see the ISS http://www.heavens-above.com
multizar
Troll

Postby agathokles » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:37 am

Terrific!

G.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Havard » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:33 pm

I still want to get all the European Mystara fans here to get together and book a flight to the US just to go and visit Multizar's garage :ugeek: :cool: :cool: :cool:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Hugin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:44 pm

Havard wrote:I still want to get all the European Mystara fans here to get together and book a flight to the US just to go and visit Multizar's garage :ugeek: :cool: :cool: :cool:

-Havard

Oh! Stop by and pick me up on the way through! :mrgreen:
Hugin
Green Dragon

Postby BardicFire » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Yours still doesn't have labels for the country borders, town names, etc. basically what I'm looking for is all of the Country maps stitched together, but not necessarily on 8MPH scale. but yeah, very cool. I like the idea of developing northern brun and all, my only concern is that with the Northern Reaches being supposedly RW-Scandenavia, it feels like we are putting WAY TOO MANY cultures beyond what should be the arctic circle, unless my understanding of the continent is off.
BardicFire
Gnoll

Postby multizar » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:32 am

BardicFire wrote:Yours still doesn't have labels for the country borders, town names, etc. basically what I'm looking for is all of the Country maps stitched together, but not necessarily on 8MPH scale. but yeah, very cool. I like the idea of developing northern brun and all, my only concern is that with the Northern Reaches being supposedly RW-Scandenavia, it feels like we are putting WAY TOO MANY cultures beyond what should be the arctic circle, unless my understanding of the continent is off.

Like I said, these are older examples. The current versions have the borders and major cities labeled. I am still working on Norwold and over into the midlands of Brun. I also have a version with sunken Alphatia.
multizar
Troll

Postby Sturm » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:41 am

I'm (slowly) doing a political map of Brun. So far I'm adding borders, names and nations for every available fan and canon source.

Here is the map, greatly reduced, still 7 mega big... :
http://digidownload.libero.it/Halag/images/brun.png
(I saved it as a png format in color scale, 340 px resolution, I think it was the best compromise, but any advice is welcome!)

I've used Kal's map as a basis but heavily modified it particularly in central Brun, in a similar way as Multizar.. I've seen the great work of Birchbeer and copied most of it for eastern Brun, but there are some differences:
I used my Adri Varna map for the area: http://digilander.libero.it/Halag/adri.html
I used the Yalu sea region of Christian Constantin: http://pandius.com/h1000ac.jpg that's absent in Birchbeer map and much smaller in Kal's map
I changed the position of Urzud, the path of several rivers and the extension of the kingdom of the dead.
I made the Sylvan Realms much bigger, and some other tweaks..
Used also these fan descriptions:
http://pandius.com/drvshciv.html
http://pandius.com/midland.html
http://pandius.com/centbrun.html
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4578&hilit=brasov (changed borders because geography in Kal's map is very different and I used his because it matched older maps of the area, see line below)
http://mystara.fr/maps/brun/continent_of_brun.htm

There is still much to do, hexes that still have "ghost" outlines from the cities in Kal's map and much more, but you can get an idea of what people have done in Brun so far... Tell me if I've missed something (ah, I had to crop out for space reason the tip of the Immortal Arm and the northern part of the continent...)
Last edited by Sturm on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:51 am

Sturm wrote:There is still much to do, hexes that still have "ghost" outlines from the cities in Kal's map and much more, but you can get an idea of what people have done in Brun so far... Tell me if I've missed something (ah, I had to crop out for space reason the tip of the Immortal Arm and the northern part of the continent...)

Looks like you are onto something great here! One thing that seems to be missing is the Borean Valley better marked off. I see Othwa Goblins, but I think this would be more of a huge Brokenlands region

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Sturm » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:53 am

Havard wrote:Looks like you are onto something great here! One thing that seems to be missing is the Borean Valley better marked off. I see Othwa Goblins, but I think this would be more of a huge Brokenlands region
-Havard

Yes, I had quite some problems with that region, no map I'm aware of seems to agree where to place the river... I went with a sort of compromise between this http://mystara.fr/maps/brun/brun_central_24m.gif, Kal's map and Birchbeer's.... Also the location of the humanoid tribes in the area, the kingdom of Galannor and Urzud it's a bit tricky because they would overlap...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:56 am

Sturm wrote:
Havard wrote:Looks like you are onto something great here! One thing that seems to be missing is the Borean Valley better marked off. I see Othwa Goblins, but I think this would be more of a huge Brokenlands region
-Havard

Yes, I had quite some problems with that region, no map I'm aware of seems to agree where to place the river... I went with a sort of compromise between this http://mystara.fr/maps/brun/brun_central_24m.gif, Kal's map and Birchbeer's.... Also the location of the humanoid tribes in the area, the kingdom of Galannor and Urzud it's a bit tricky because they would overlap...

How about using this one for comparison?
http://pandius.com/outer-world-unprojected.png

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Sturm » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:02 pm

Havard wrote:How about using this one for comparison?
http://pandius.com/outer-world-unprojected.png
-Havard

Thanks, I'll look into it but the problem is (IIRC) that the GazF maps have a position of the Borean river, Kal's map have another and Constatin's and older maps had another more, so I don't know if the area could ever look like in the master map if you want to use every fan source as I'm trying to do.... I'll see...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Carillion » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:34 pm

my only concern is that with the Northern Reaches being supposedly RW-Scandenavia, it feels like we are putting WAY TOO MANY cultures beyond what should be the arctic circle, unless my understanding of the continent is off.

In my view, the main inconsistency was the placement of the Northern Reaches, which lies just to the North of a desert! I can't see how you can go from desert to Scandanavia in about 100 miles.
Carillion
Ogre

Postby Sturm » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:48 pm

It's obviously quite strange, but maybe Soderfjord and Vestland are not exactly cold as northern europe neither Ylauruam is as warm as the arabian peninsula.. we should assume that the temperature difference is something more like the iraqi desert and the caucasus, that are not very far away from each other, yet have quite different climate.
Anyway in my campaign I just assume that there is a cold stream (or something like that) particularly strong along the Norwold and Northern Reaches coast, while western Brun has warmer temperatures up to a much higher latitude... otherwise too much of the borean plains would be a frosted desolation...
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Carillion wrote:
my only concern is that with the Northern Reaches being supposedly RW-Scandenavia, it feels like we are putting WAY TOO MANY cultures beyond what should be the arctic circle, unless my understanding of the continent is off.

In my view, the main inconsistency was the placement of the Northern Reaches, which lies just to the North of a desert! I can't see how you can go from desert to Scandanavia in about 100 miles.

Keep in mind that Scandinavia's climate is much milder than the northern location would suggest since the climate there is being kept mild because of the Gulf stream. Assuming a high altitude of those lands in Mystara could also account for a cold climate in the Northern Reaches.

The Alasiyan Desert remains illogical no matter how you look at it. Basically it is there because of a curse from the Immortals, combined with elven weather magic. Under normal circumstances there would never have been a desert there.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Birchbeer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:34 am

Sturm your Brun map is AWESOME! :)

Sturm wrote:I used the Yalu sea region of Christian Constantin: http://pandius.com/h1000ac.jpg that's absent in Birchbeer map and much smaller in Kal's map

I saw Christian's region and could never figure out a good way to reconcile it without making the Borean Valley much less massive. I like some of his ideas for the area around Hule, but I'm not at a point to dig in and try to mix it up with OldDawg's map (where the area north of the Sind Desert and west of Norwold is based off of).

Sturm wrote:There is still much to do, hexes that still have "ghost" outlines from the cities in Kal's map and much more, but you can get an idea of what people have done in Brun so far... Tell me if I've missed something (ah, I had to crop out for space reason the tip of the Immortal Arm and the northern part of the continent...)

The one thing I don't understand about Kal's maps are how the Borean River ends in a warm area in the Arctic circle and never actually ends in the arctic waters. Is there a write up about it somewhere?
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Postby Birchbeer » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:37 am

As an aside... Storm what program did you make your map in? Is it layered? (I'd love to just get a coast line version of it and then go from there... I suck at drawing coast lines.)
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Postby Sturm » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:32 am

I simply used Kal's map as basis and changed many areas in the interior of Brun with gimp, then I put labels and borders with photoshop because gimp is not very good at it.. I didn't change the coastline of Kal's map even if I think there are some minor errors (Ostland is too near to the mainland and Robrenn and Eusdria are too long).
I saved the work without layers for space reason, even if from now on I'll save another version of the map when I'lll begin to put in it places from my campaign rather than only from fan and canon sources, as it is now.

About the Borean river there are mountains on the north of Brun (in the warm area I'd like to put a giant kingdom) so I think Kal is right, the river flow from the north to the south and so do not go in the northern sea but rather in the Yalu sea. The branch that goes through Galannor and Urzud instead could flow from south to north, from the Kavkaz lands to the great swamp....

Link to my map: http://digidownload.libero.it/Halag/images/brun.png
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby BardicFire » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:04 pm

quick question then Multizar: can we download your current progress? and if not, where do you live in TX. I'm from DFW area and go back during winter break. I'll come ninja it from you if I have to XD.

Edit: Okay so first things first I really think what we need most is a map with only Official stuff on it. World Hex Map, with only stuff from Official sources, then we do maps that have fancanon stuff.

Wish I could help with the actual creation, but I don't have the tech or the skills. so all I can do is be an idea-er, and a coordinator.
BardicFire
Gnoll

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:32 am

Awesome maps! Very nicely done.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby multizar » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:30 am

BardicFire wrote:quick question then Multizar: can we download your current progress? and if not, where do you live in TX. I'm from DFW area and go back during winter break. I'll come ninja it from you if I have to XD.

Edit: Okay so first things first I really think what we need most is a map with only Official stuff on it. World Hex Map, with only stuff from Official sources, then we do maps that have fancanon stuff.

Wish I could help with the actual creation, but I don't have the tech or the skills. so all I can do is be an idea-er, and a coordinator.

Well, the maps are not complete. Even the ones with labels. Its a constant work in progress. I do it at home and/or at work when I have downtime...so I get more done at home. All my maps are on a 2GB flash drive that I carry on my keychain. :ugeek: At my current rate of progress it should be done by Christmas.....2020 :lol:
multizar
Troll

Postby BardicFire » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm sure they aren't finished, but still, personally, a Monthly, Bi-Monthly, even just seasonal downloadable version of what you've got so far would be nice. ppppplllleeeeeaaaaassssseeeeeee

(also, I would personally STRONGLY suggest that you back that up as many times as possible. Harddrive, External Harddrive, online. heck giving us current progress copies means we'll have it backed up too :P)

We could even potentially help speed up the process, as long as we keep to a ISO-like standardisation.
BardicFire
Gnoll

Postby Ashtagon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:37 pm

http://digidownload.libero.it/Halag/images/brun.png

One thing I just can't figure out is, which direction is the river in Adri Varma flowing?
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Next

Return to Mystara