Gazetteer: The Music (A Bardic Fire Studios Project)

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

BardicFire
Gnoll

Gazetteer: The Music (A Bardic Fire Studios Project)

Post by BardicFire » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:27 pm

The plan for this project is quite simple. In the spirit of the Gazetteers, I wish to make a Music Collection that fits the world of Mystara.

The Collection will consist of multiple albums, each album I wish to keep at exactly 12 tracks (with potential for further Albums). Each album covers a different Nation and/or Culture of Mystara, starting with the Known World. This music will mostly be Real World of course, as theres very little if any music recorded with the original intention of sounding like it has Mystara origin, BUT the music chosen from the Real World will reflect the Nation / Culture it's representing. The following is an example of how it will be laid out:

* Gazetteer: The Music, Volume I
* * GAZM-000A The Music of Thyatis, Part 1
* * GAZM-000B The Music of Alphatia, Part 1
* * GAZM-001 The Music of Karameikos, Part 1
etc. etc.

I'd like to expand far beyond the Official Gazetteers, but continue to use the Gazetteer format.

Another aspect (and the one I'll need most help in) is album booklet and cover art. I like thematic covers, so I plan to keep them regular in style, and already have two styles in mind (miniature versions of the Gazetteer Module Covers [or something similar looking], or simple landscape images that look like they would exist in said nation/culture [I might do the art covers for the front, and the landscape covers for the track listing... YAY ideas!]).

I also wish to have interior booklets, describing "quasi-fictional" history of songs (say for example, we have a traditional mongolian song about a battle for the Ethengar album, the history can describe the song basically the same, just replacing mongolian words with Ethengarian words).

All this I intend to lay out in Files and Folders so that one could simply burn it to disc, print out the booklets, tray cards, and CD skins, and create the album in real life.

The purpose of these albums are not to provide music that would fit the atmosphere of certain adventures or what not. not soundtracks for a story. instead, they are soundtracks for a land. They are intended to better feel the cultures of Mystara, to hear sounds that would exist in that world, and to provide possible resources for DM's and Players who wish to pad events in their games with actual music. My reasons behind it in fact don't even have to do with gaming. I just love the constructed world of Mystara and wish to see it fleshed out as much as possible, and as I've already have a avid interest and ear for Traditional World Musics, and to top it all off, I haven't seen anyone else do this, so I felt this was an excellent project to undertake.

Any suggestions, Comments, links, offers would be greatly appreciated. I can always use music suggestions, because if they don't get on the albums, I intend to keep a list of "extras". Also I could definitely use help with design of artwork and booklets, as I have next to no skills in digital art programs.

Finally if anyone has downloadable copies of the Red Steel Campaign Themes, I'd be in your debt if you could get me those, as they were the inspiration behind this project, but I've never actually heard them.
Growing up reading Gazetteer modules spoils you for modern gaming campaign resources.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Re: Gazetteer: The Music (A Bardic Fire Studios Project)

Post by Sturm » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:47 am

Really a wonderful project, I don't know if I can help you here but many years ago I too tried to gather some music to use as mood during play, so I'll search if I still have something from back then... anyway keep the list posted about this because it's really interesting!
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

BardicFire
Gnoll

Post by BardicFire » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:08 pm

Thanks Sturm, I'm currently gonna have to wait to work on it, as my laptop just recently failed (Hard Disk Failure).
Growing up reading Gazetteer modules spoils you for modern gaming campaign resources.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:31 am

Thoroughly looking forward to these! :cool: :ugeek:
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Thorf
Cartomancer

Post by Thorf » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:47 pm

What a wonderful idea for a project!

So what kinds of music are you thinking of using? Are you going to raid film scores as well as the traditional music you mentioned? I might be able to give some suggestions from that genre, because I'm a big film score fan.

Regardless, I'll be looking forward to hearing your results.

Sock Puppet
Troll

Post by Sock Puppet » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:18 pm

Are you thinking in terms of "music these in-world folk might actually play", or "music that evokes the atmosphere of that realm and enhance a campaign currently taking place there"? The two aren't necessarily the same thing. Perhaps an even mix of both?
I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:53 pm

I just have to say this would be awesome to see. Er... I mean hear.

mister c
Ogre

Post by mister c » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:17 am

A great idea. If you are looking at real world early music, I have used York Waits early recordings (eg Music from the time of Richard III) or Trouvere for background music in Karameikos. For Darokin I use later Renaisance music. Does this help?

misterc

BardicFire
Gnoll

Post by BardicFire » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:58 pm

@ Everyone: I guess I didn't make it clear enough, I specifically want music that seems like it'd actually be played by the people in world. Monogolian Throat Singing for Ethengar, Traditional Sea Chantys for Ierendi, Classical Roman Bouziki music for Thyatis, etc.

mister c
Ogre

Post by mister c » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:32 pm

Just been listening to a CD from my collection; Viking Tones (SKALK CD 2). Shounds good for the Northern Reaches. It's more the instrumentation that fits the 'viking' title, as some of the tunes are Italian, but the sound is good, and some of the pieces are from Iceland and Orkney.
Is this the kind of thing you were wanting?
misterc

Traianus
Bugbear

Post by Traianus » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:58 pm

Sounds really cool!

You may want to look into the group Synaulia for Thyatis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synaulia

I have their first CD, and it is a rather unique listening experience for the modern ear. They did have some of their music used as background pieces in Gladiator and the Rome TV series, and the composer of Rome was clearly influenced by their work for the score.
AC995-Traianus Decius Aureus- Praetorian Legate, Equites Laurifer, bearer of the Corona Civica, Corona Muralis and Corona Obsidionalis -delivered the motherland from the Thyatian occupation and was raised to the purple by the Praetorian Guard.

BardicFire
Gnoll

Post by BardicFire » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:11 pm

Thanks guys. any compiling will really help.

@ Mister C: Sounds like something I'll need to check out, although I do want to try to keep the sources pretty pure, as little cross-culture stuff as possible.

Anybody who has a Spotify Account is welcome to add me, where I'm keeping a Preliminary list of potential music right now. My username is BardicFire.

Heres some examples of stuff from Youtube:

* Track
* * Name Translated (if needed)
* * Artist
* * Culture of Origin
* * Represents Mystaran Culture XXXX
* * Brief Description
* * Link

* Aisui hulugiin tuvurguun
* * The Echoing Hooves of the Approaching Horse
* * Egschiglen
* * Mongolia
* * Ethengar
* * This song is a very old song with roots all the way back to the time of Chinggis Khaan (Genghis Khan) and is the Anthem of the Naadam Festival, A Celebration of Mongolian war skills and a competition of three "war sports", Wrestling, Archery, and Horse Riding. Read a more detailed description in the Video Description
* * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1iDzVDfIDM

* Hur du vänder dig
* * How do you turn...
* * Andor
* * Nordic Countries (Specifically Swedish culture)
* * Northern Reaches (Specifically... whichever one is closest to Sweden)
* * Don't know the origin or purpose of this song, anyone from Nordic Countries who could translate it please help me with that (though theres no chance I'm keeping it). but apparently it is a traditional song, and Andor only uses Traditional instruments, they also typically record outdoors to give the songs an old and natural feeling.

* Dorul Meu
* * My Longing (not entirely accurate probably)
* * Trei Parale
* * Romania
* * Karameikos (the area now known as Romania was one of the Roman Empires biggest Satellite nations, just as Karameikos is a Grand Duchy of Thyatis)
* * assuming it's a song about longing for someone. :P

mister c
Ogre

Post by mister c » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Hi there, have you thought of playing and recording some stuff yourself?

Raymond
Gnoll

Post by Raymond » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:22 pm

"Infamous/ Butcher/ Angle of Death!"
"On and on/ South of Heaven"

BardicFire
Gnoll

Post by BardicFire » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:32 pm

@ Mister C - Not that skilled in Music (I mean I have some, but not enough to do what I want) and I don't have the right equipment and environment to do recording.

@ Raymond - ... what?

Edit: Question people - what do you guys think I should use for Elvish music? Tolkein Elvish (Quenya I believe) I think sounds closest linguistically, so I was going to use fan songs for that, and some Gealic music.

Also as my interpretation of the Darokinian Language is English (specifically a "dialect" of Thyatian that mixes Thyatian, Hattian, and Various Glantrian languages to create what is essentially english. Minrothad should also speak this IMHO), I'm going to use English Folk songs for Darokin

mister c
Ogre

Post by mister c » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:18 am

Reading one of your other posts I think I've a better idea of the kind of music your after, so...

* Cantigas de Santa Maria
* * Esther Lamandier (plenty of other versions available, but the instumentation on this is good).
* * Medieval Portugal/Galicia
* * Belcadiz
* * a sample of a whole series of poems written in the 13th century dedicated to the Virgin Mary and set to music. Some are thought to have been written by King Alfonso X.
* * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KEi_bvtbuM

Is this the kind of thing you want?

Hugin
Messenger of Odin

Post by Hugin » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:08 pm

After listening to that link to "The Echoing Hooves of the Approaching Horse", I can really see how this type of thing would be inspirational. It would be great during initial campaign discussions and character creation!

BardicFire
Gnoll

Post by BardicFire » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:39 pm

For some reason my other links didn't post... weird...

Also, Thank You Mister C.

mister c
Ogre

Post by mister c » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:00 pm

* * Pavan la Bataille, Tielman Susato
* * Early Music Consort of London.
* * Renaisance Low Countires
* * Bergdhoven/Glantri?
* * Dance music from northern Europe. Rather a 'grand' performance, instrumentaion could be anything the performers had to hand, (I've played this on anything from rebec to crumhorn or recorder.)
* * http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv2Eq35c ... re=related

BardicFire
Gnoll

Post by BardicFire » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:59 pm

Interesting post Mister C, thanks. Like I've mentioned, anyone who has Spotify Accounts are welcome to check out my Preliminary playlists I've got for this project.

Culture20
Bugbear

Post by Culture20 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:25 pm

I've been looking recently for Free Creative Commons licensed music for the Savage Coast and City States. I decided on Romany music with accordions for Slagovich and flamenco/classical spanish guitar and mariachi music for the Baronies (scores from any Zorro movies or Television shows would work here too). Some classical harpsichord or violin for Renardy and maybe Bellayne with shamisen or koto also for Bellayne and Herath (Herath might have classical harp too; this piece in particular seems good for Herath if a bunch of non-aranea PCs are being hounded by giant spiders http://freemusicarchive.org/curator/ISS ... lo__Violin# ).

Franky Joe Texier would be perfect for Renardy. He plays flamenco but sings in French. :) Unfortunately I don't speak french so I don't know what he's singing.
adragante (Celtic instrumental harp) for Alfheim?

Return to “Mystara”