Unknown Mystara RPGA Modules?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Unknown Mystara RPGA Modules?

Postby Havard » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:25 pm

I just came across a reference to these tournament adventures that I had not heard about so far:

RPGA tournament adventures
Nightmares (Red Steel, Benefit 1994)
Savage Steel (Red Steel, Gencon 1995)

Has anyone heard of them?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Unknown Mystara RPGA Modules?

Postby NPCDave » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Savage Steel was included in the free online release Savage Coast Orc's Head Peninsula book. It concludes with a battle with Pyre, the crimson essence vermillion dragon. So us hard-core Mystara collectors already have that one. Unfortunately Nightmare was never released in any format outside RPGA and I don't know of anyone who has shared online their experience playing it. I don't think it is the adventure included in the online release Savage Coast Campaign Book, the title of the adventure included in there is Divided We Fall.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby beasterbrook » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:44 am

Nightmares
A mystery that takes place in the town of Chansea, in the kingdom of Renardy.

Savage Steel
Experience wonderous powers and strange magic in this swashbuckling adventure set in the Savage Coast.
Last edited by beasterbrook on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
beasterbrook
Goblin

Postby Sturm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:18 pm

beasterbrook wrote:Nightmares
A mystery that takes place in the town of Chansea, in the kingdom of Renardy.

Interesting, do you have details? characters? locations? plot?
It seems these modules cannot be found or bought, so if you have seen/played it and could provide a basic description I would be interested!
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Robin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:35 pm

All I know is that TSR used often fanwritten adventures at game conventions.
This way I did create My Revenge of the Little Ones adventure at (cryo)Gencon 1995 which hence became canon, and this is how it went with Rahasia (which even became a sold adventure, commonly known), or ST1 Up The Garden Path (almost known to nobody).
The best way to gain acces to these treasured modules is trying to find the writer (or players of the adventure at the convention) and request a copy to be released here. Sometimes these can be found online, but this is hard and difficult to find.I think that as D&D players (even if they quit) some heart remains for the D&D community and this could cause them to release these.
in either case I wish you luck in delving this up for all of us.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby beasterbrook » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:49 am

A few years ago I started to collect RPGA modules (and other "living Campaigns")..

These "Classic" modules seem to be quite hard to collect, anything pre about 95ish annoying so.. not all them them though;)

Brette:)
beasterbrook
Goblin

Postby Robin » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:45 pm

Then all I can say please share them with us.
(or where you acquired them)
any content is more then welcome I feel, and I suppose others with me ;)
At least now you have mine adventure Euro Gencon 1995 (also called cryogencon as it was friggin cold there)added to you collection.
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/
Robin
Cloud Giant

Postby Ashtagon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:16 am

Robin wrote:All I know is that TSR used often fanwritten adventures at game conventions.

This way I did create My Revenge of the Little Ones adventure at (cryo)Gencon 1995 which hence became canon, and this is how it went with Rahasia (which even became a sold adventure, commonly known), or ST1 Up The Garden Path (almost known to nobody).

The best way to gain access to these treasured modules is trying to find the writer (or players of the adventure at the convention) and request a copy to be released here. Sometimes these can be found online, but this is hard and difficult to find.I think that as D&D players (even if they quit) some heart remains for the D&D community and this could cause them to release these.

in either case I wish you luck in delving this up for all of us.

Bear in mind that in many cases, the original writers do not own the copyright, and so have no more freedom to legally share them for free than you or I do.

I think most people are aware that illegal downloads exist. However, for obvious reasons, sharing links to such sites here is forbidden.

Aside from second-hand markets, the best legal way is probably to encourage the IP owners (WotC for most D&D material) to release them in pdf format.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!
Ashtagon
Hierarch

Postby beasterbrook » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:11 am

there have been many people over the years email/contact WotC about RPGA modules, they either aren't interested or unable to supply them (ie they don't have them anymore), I think its a bit of both.. a lot of these were stored in old formats, deleted etc.. there are a lot of writers that don't even have a copy of their own work anymore due to the same issues (I've been able to give copies to some of these people).. you must remember these are very small games from now long defunct systems, or so far out of date that only the most hard core people even know about them, let alone the system or "world" they belong too.. what I've found if you come across people that have them all you have to do is ask and sometimes they will give you a copy, alas, not always..

Brette:)
beasterbrook
Goblin

Postby stebehil » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:07 am

Just found some info on Nightmares on https://boardgamegeek.com/rpgitem/236975/nightmares
It was written by Tim Beach(here: https://boardgamegeek.com/rpgdesigner/15371/tim-beach) , for middling levels (the one pregen PC viewable there is a 6th level Thief), and has something to do with an aranea, apparently a young one not knowing her true heritage, judging from the snippet of the plot synopsis. It notes that the DM might have a hard time with it if played after the box is out (in October 1994), as this might spoil the supposed secret.
stebehil
Bugbear

Return to Mystara