Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth placement

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Havard

Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth placement

Postby Bouv » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:20 pm

So one of my long-term goals is for the players in my current campaign to go through the caverns. Where in Mystara would you place it?

Also, since I'm going from AD&D to D&D I'm thinking of proper level being between 15-20 just because the players are pretty inexperienced overall and I would like to give them a good chance of suriving. As for Iggwliv, I either may make her a powerful mage or lich or change her around to an Immortal.
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Re: Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth placement

Postby Gawain_VIII » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:02 am

Never having played (or even looked at) LCoT, I can only guess, but the Faloun caverns in NorReach are pretty massive. IDK how it would compare to the plot in the module, but it's an idea. Also the Shadowelf Caverns and Grakhallia.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.
Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Postby JohnBiles » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:45 am

I would put it northeast of Selenica in the mountains.
JohnBiles
Hill Giant

Postby ripvanwormer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:02 am

In Glantri, and have it as the former domain of a Glantrian wizard. There are some pretty great ideas for Iggwilv here, if you haven't seen them, but it wouldn't really need to be identified with Iggwilv at all, just some wizard.

I might make her the Enchantress of Sylaire, originally from Averoigne.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:32 am

Are you running this on its own, or as a series with the other S series modules? I'd definitely consider Glantri in that case. Acererak works well as a Glantrian lich; White Plume Mountain could be in the Three Volcanoes area (tying in with the novel history of the former gnomish holdings there, as well as the three swords perhaps being connected to the three peaks); Barrier Peaks can be connected to the ruins of the SS Beagle underneath Glantri City; and the Lost Caverns can be tied into the extensive underground beneath Glantri and/or the Broken Lands.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Bouv » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:07 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:Are you running this on its own, or as a series with the other S series modules? I'd definitely consider Glantri in that case. Acererak works well as a Glantrian lich; White Plume Mountain could be in the Three Volcanoes area (tying in with the novel history of the former gnomish holdings there, as well as the three swords perhaps being connected to the three peaks); Barrier Peaks can be connected to the ruins of the SS Beagle underneath Glantri City; and the Lost Caverns can be tied into the extensive underground beneath Glantri and/or the Broken Lands.

I'm not planning on running the other S modules - I wish to keep tech out of my campaign (no barrier peak) and I doubt they would survive Tomb of Horrors. However, down the pike, White Plume Mountains is a possibility.
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Postby timothyddd » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:24 pm

We played the Lost Caverns about 25 years ago and had a blast.

The party started in Selenica and then travelled North into Rockhome. They then worked their way Westward to the mountains boardering Ylaruam and the Northern Rearches (in the past Iggwilv had been active in both those countries).

The travelling was as much fun as the Caverns. If I remember correctly the adventure contains a complete breakdown of a dwarven war band. The party travelled with this war band for a bit and we had an epic pitch battle with a hobgoblin war band. There is also a gnome village in the adventure which we used as a base.

The second level of the Caverns was a real killer for us, with a number of deaths.
timothyddd
Goblin

Postby Bouv » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:26 pm

timothyddd wrote:We played the Lost Caverns about 25 years ago and had a blast.

The party started in Selenica and then travelled North into Rockhome. They then worked their way Westward to the mountains boardering Ylaruam and the Northern Rearches (in the past Iggwilv had been active in both those countries).

The travelling was as much fun as the Caverns. If I remember correctly the adventure contains a complete breakdown of a dwarven war band. The party travelled with this war band for a bit and we had an epic pitch battle with a hobgoblin war band. There is also a gnome village in the adventure which we used as a base.

The second level of the Caverns was a real killer for us, with a number of deaths.

I don't remember reading about the dwavern war band but the gnome village is there.
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Postby Khuzd » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Acererak works well as a Glantrian lich

Or as an Alphatian, Blackheart one!!!

I'm running now "Into de Maelstrom", then, the PCs will arrive to the great naval battle in Alphaks Isle, then a tsunami will sink Alphatia, except for DenwarfHurgon and some other bits, such as some miles in Blackheart... The survivors will ask the PCs to go there, because the heir of the Alphatian throne was there in an adventure (he has been devoured by Acererak) and only he can unify the remains of the Empire. This way I throw the PCs into "Return to the Tomb of Horrors".
"Glantri needs some re-shaping; a million dwarves would help!"
Khuzd
Troll

Location: Mad-dirid (Madrid); used to be Barcelona (Barak-Zelona), Spain

Postby timothyddd » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:46 pm

This thread has inspired me to dig out my old copy of S4. It really is an amazing module. There is so much stuff in it. The wilderness encounters have loads of possibilities, the two dungeon levels are classic old school and then there is the Monsters & Magic Item booklet, which is packed full of good stuff: new demons (dretch, chasme), demon-princes (Graz'zt, Kostchtchle), new monsters (derro, the demi-lich). It introduces so much that has become part of the D&D experience. I’m really tempted to drop this into my next campaign.

Is the conversion to 3rd edition any good?
timothyddd
Goblin

Postby Bouv » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:23 am

timothyddd wrote:This thread has inspired me to dig out my old copy of S4. It really is an amazing module. There is so much stuff in it. The wilderness encounters have loads of possibilities, the two dungeon levels are classic old school and then there is the Monsters & Magic Item booklet, which is packed full of good stuff: new demons (dretch, chasme), demon-princes (Graz'zt, Kostchtchle), new monsters (derro, the demi-lich). It introduces so much that has become part of the D&D experience. I’m really tempted to drop this into my next campaign.

Is the conversion to 3rd edition any good?

S4 has always been a favorite of mine - I picked it up at a lawnsale or something when I was 13 or 14. Fell in love with it. Unlike S1 - it isn't a slaughter fest for PC's, especially if they are careful YET punishes bad decisons and unprepardness (look at the last encounter). S2 I'm not too familiar with but in the end you have some pretty potent artifact weapons (S4 has a couple artifacts but they won't necessarily ruin a campaign). S3 had a lot of new tech which could again easily overpower a campaign. S4 just seem to balance it all out.

Personally, I think WotC should do more with the classic adventures - updating them, revising them (Tomb of Horrors, Revenge of the Giants) or do something similar (the HHQ series was fun!)
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Postby Bouv » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:14 pm

So as my PC's get closer to running this module and I get ready for my conversion, a few questions come to mind:

1. The module comes with a PC wilderness map...should I just go "here, look at this and tell me where you would like to go" and run encounters from there? I haven't done a lot of wilderness stuff so I'm a bit rusty with the procedures (essentially...map or no map for them).

2. Right now I have 3 PC's and 2 NPCs - an elf, cleric, thief, NPC fighter, and NPC cleric. Should I encourage them to find some retainers/hirelings for this one? I'm thinking yes.

Basic plot I'm going to work with - essentially Marcus, Bargle's teacher, is going to send them to the caverns to prevent Bargle from getting his hands on any of the treasure, tombs, and artifacts there (with them not realizing how evil Marcus is...)
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Postby julius_cleaver » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:16 am

Yes the S-series were always one of my favorites. Weird Vegipigmies, a fabled sword, a gorgeous vampire waiting for a feast of adventurers... :twisted:

If anyone noticed my first campaign post...i'll make a link later, we actually had a location for White Plume Mountain. I am going to work on putting the maps up on Pandius. Originally my first map just existed North of the known world, to the NW of Glantri. After the Gazatteers and Trail maps came out I decided to make a giant map of the entire area NorthWest of Glantri incorporating our campaign with the lands of the Known Wolrd. With a little fudging I think it could fit well alongside Christian Constantin's and Gander's map.

It is located within the Earldom of Yeet, and instead of being called Silver Plume Mountain, I dubbed it The Angry Mountain. Not a very creative name...but hey, I was twelve!

My thoughts though are that the entire power structure presented in the S-series doesn't really fit well within the Known World. I think it makes more sense on the Western side of the Ice Reach range in Norwold. Somewhere South of Ghyr! Yet North of Denagoth and Wendar.

Perhaps Prince Jaegar has been there to retrieved some artifacts...
It's about as gothic as you can get with anthropomorphic beavers.

"You stumble into a spacious chamber with at least ten exits." The DM is a jerk. --Jeff Rients from Jeff's Gameblog
julius_cleaver
Frost Giant

Postby Bouv » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:09 pm

Any advice for running it as well? Especially the last battle? Since I'm using BECMI rules, I gave the vampire fighter Grand Mastery in Bastard Sword (my PC's all have decent levels in Weapon Mastery as but nothing THAT good). While a vampire, I stat'ed her out, per the module, as a 13th level fighter. Seeing how high level my PC's get before this, I might increase that a bit.
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Postby firebee » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:31 pm

If you place them somewhere, they will no longer be lost. I think you should misplace them instead.
Tom Mahaney
firebee
Bugbear

Postby Bouv » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:04 pm

firebee wrote:If you place them somewhere, they will no longer be lost. I think you should misplace them instead.

"The Temporarily Geographically Misplaced to the Player Characters Caverns of Tsojcanth"
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Postby Morfie » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:34 am

Bouv wrote:
firebee wrote:If you place them somewhere, they will no longer be lost. I think you should misplace them instead.

"The Temporarily Geographically Misplaced to the Player Characters Caverns of Tsojcanth"

Populated with Misplacer Beasts!
Morfie
Metamorph

Return to Mystara