Savage Tide: Sea Wyvern's Wake on Mystara

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

Savage Tide: Sea Wyvern's Wake on Mystara

Postby Wyrin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:56 am

As I've seen some other post here about running the Savage Tide Adenture Path on Mystara, I thought I'd share my plans for how I'm running this portion of the adventure, which sees the party leave Sasserine on Davania to end up shipwrecked on the Isle of Dread. What I've tried to do is fit the map of the voyage from the article in Dungeon onto the map of the Sea of Dread region from PWA 1011. Might only make sense to those who know the adventure, but hope its of some use.

The planned voyage (36 miles per hex):

Link to full size

This trip is planned under the assumption that Laviania needs help financing the expedition (given the state of her families finances as the party have been helping with in the previous adventures) and so is taking commissions to travel via Tamoachan, Raven Scarp and Ochalea. Also, the prevailing currents in the Sea of Dread make it safer to approach from the east to reach the colony of Farshore on the southern island. Or so they think.

The actual voyage (36 miles per hex):

Link to full size

This includes the events along the way. Most are by the book.
1. Hungry Flotsam happens just after Blood Bay to give a feel for the danegrs of fighting at sea.
2. As the party moor up to explore Tamoachan the following day, Lavinia invites them over for dinner - and the stowaway strikes against them. They visit the runins the next day.
3. Whilst taking on fresh water, due to an accident on board, a river hydra strikes
4. Raven Scarp replaces Fort Blackwell in the adventure as written
5. A few nights out from Raven's Scarp, Father Feres is taken down with a strange illness
6. I'm playing the Crimson Fleet as the Sea Reavers (PWA1011), Savage Coast sponsored pirates operating out of Ne'er-do-well who are seeding cinnabryl ore seed in clay deposits around the Sea of Dread under the sponsorship of the Master of Hule (party have had some run ins with this already). They plague the waters between Davania and Ochalea.
7. Party stops off at Renkrue, a small port in Ochalea for supplies/repairs
8. The party contend with the currents and storms of the Sea of Dread. The first storm blows them off course and north past the island of Ruja
9. The ship is beached on the sargasso at Journey's End. (note - I might revise map to move this into the whirlpool of currents north of Ochalea as shown on the PWA1011 map)
10. The second storm causes the ship to be wrecked on the eastern shore of the Isle of Dread.
Wyrin
Orc

Re: Savage Tide: Sea Wyvern's Wake on Mystara

Postby Wyrin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:31 pm

HiDef version that expands out to Ochalea

Link to Original
Wyrin
Orc

Postby NPCDave » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:24 am

Nice, and my jaw dropped initially because I plan to have my PCs also take a detour into Ochalea. For Lavinia's background I had her spend her time away from Sasserine there.

Are you using any particular justification for the more roundabout route? Lavinia's reasons in my case are to avoid tipping off the Thyatians to Farshore, who would try to capture it if and when they become aware of it.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby Wyrin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:26 am

NPCDave wrote:Nice, and my jaw dropped initially because I plan to have my PCs also take a detour into Ochalea. For Lavinia's background I had her spend her time away from Sasserine there.

Are you using any particular justification for the more roundabout route? Lavinia's reasons in my case are to avoid tipping off the Thyatians to Farshore, who would try to capture it if and when they become aware of it.

I'm using two reasons - but i might tbrow yours into the pot too ;)
1. Lavinia couldnt finance this in her on and so is taking payment from passengers to stop off in Tamoachan, Raven Scarp for their own interests. Plus with the ships so full of people theres less room for supplies so this helps them restock en route
2. The map from PWA1011 shows all he currents in he Sea of Dread flow strongly from east to west. this route lets them skirt the coast to the east, then take advantage of the current to sail west to the Isle of Dread
Wyrin
Orc

Postby NPCDave » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:59 am

Nice, I didn't think to check the sea currents but I will adopt your reason #2 as well when I get to that point. I have Tamoachan further east at the point of the ruins marked on the trail maps which is far out of the way but the price for Urol's help and to avoid any spies.

I plan to adopt the adventure from Dungeon #106, Tammeraut's Fate, as an interlude while the PCs are stopped at Renkrue.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby maddog » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:04 pm

Wow! I feel like I'm reading about my campaign. :) The only difference appears to be that I didn't use Tamoachan until on the IoD, IIRC (need to review the module to be sure) and I didn't take the currents into account. Everything played out just fine, although I do really wish I had thought of the currents now.

I used Tammeraut's Fate as well but as the first module of the campaign. It was set near Sasserine rather than on the Isle. There's another module set on the IoD in Dungeon #114 that we played, Torrents of Dread, that worked really well too. For some unknown reason, the players just decided to go to Mora. I love it when they hook themselves.

--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a stone giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.
maddog
Frost Giant

Postby NPCDave » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:55 pm

My players are going to be a level or two higher than the Savage Tide assumption by the time they reach Farshore, so I have a different plan for incorporating Torrents of Dread, which is designed for 6th level PCs. After the players battle the kopru beneath the island, but before they return, I plan to hand out character sheets for the Jade Ravens and Lavinia to the players, and run them through ToD. This will hopefully get the players a little more attached to the supporting cast and feel like they aren't doing all the work. Plus I can reuse all the frogman miniatures I have collected.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Re: Savage Tide: The Shadow Pearls

Postby Wyrin » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:22 pm

Resurrecting this thread - the party have just uncovered charts from the Sea Reavers of the Crimson Fleet, detailign where the Shadow Pearls have been deployed - figured other may find these maps useful!
(massive credit to Thorfinn Tait for the maps of course)

Map of pearl distribution accross Alphatia (not sunk) and Thyatis
Close up in Known World

Party currently trying to decide which nations to leave to fend for themselves!

No Shadow Pearls in Aengmor or Rockholme, due to other background plot issues
Wyrin
Orc

Postby NPCDave » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:05 pm

Very nice Wyrin, I included a similar list in Threshold Magazine #4. If you have the Sea Reavers venturing further west, you can have the PCs find a note that the ship transporting a savage pearl to the capital of Yavdlom, Tanakumba, was ambushed in waters near the coast and either barely escaped or was sunk with all hands. It was almost like they knew the Sea Reavers were coming. ;)
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby Wyrin » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks NPCDave - yes, I've been through Threshold 4 and its great stuff; that issue of Threshold would have been a godsend a few years back!

There's more on my blog about the campaign history - http://wyrind.blogspot.co.uk/

Briefly, the Sea Reavers/Crimson Fleet are from the seas around the Savage Baronies (so rather than lemorian, their powers are from the red curse, and tey have been seeding clay deposits with cynnibryl to fuel their campaign. The Master had been paying them to harry the navies on the eastern front of the known world for another foray across Sind into Darokin, but has found the Fleet usurped from under him by Demogorgon worship. So instead of yuan-ti, I used Aranea from Herath instead

I left Yavdlom out of the pearls as I think there's reasons why Deomogorgon might find uses for the Serpent peninsula...! but I like your thinking...

Another tool, here's my map of the Scuttlecove factions - I'd hoped the PCs would play them off against each other, but mostly turned into knocking on the door and rolling initiative...!
Wyrin
Orc

Postby JTrithen » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:43 pm

Wyrin wrote:Thanks NPCDave - yes, I've been through Threshold 4 and its great stuff; that issue of Threshold would have been a godsend a few years back!

There's more on my blog about the campaign history - http://wyrind.blogspot.co.uk/

Briefly, the Sea Reavers/Crimson Fleet are from the seas around the Savage Baronies (so rather than lemorian, their powers are from the red curse, and tey have been seeding clay deposits with cynnibryl to fuel their campaign. The Master had been paying them to harry the navies on the eastern front of the known world for another foray across Sind into Darokin, but has found the Fleet usurped from under him by Demogorgon worship. So instead of yuan-ti, I used Aranea from Herath instead

Love these insights and reports on everyone's campaigns with the Savage Tide AP.

I wish I could have my players in this campaign, at this time! (But, my main/currently oldest group doesn't play very much, and they're involved in other adventure plans of mine.)

I haven't read up too much on the other thread that was about this AP.

But, if the Master of Hule is behind the pearls, what was your reason behind that?

I understand that this would be a distraction from the Demogorgon plans from the original AP, and/or that you might want to make the Master the villain behind the AP/campaign...

but... what about using or implementing Pyre?

(He would be my first pick, if you're involving the Red Curse and the Savage Coast, which I DO like! Of course, I understand that this might depend on how DMs might have decided what the Red Curse is caused by or what its source is/was, etc.)
JTrithen
Ogre

Postby Wyrin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:05 am

Ah, actually the Master isnt behind the Pearls - it's still Demogorgon, but the confusion has been something the players had to wrestle with. I like plots where entropy forces are as much of a hurdle to each other as they are to the other spheres

The Master has been licking his wounds since Red Arrow, Black Shield, and was looking for a way to bring war to the known World on the Eastern Front. So He sponsored the Sea Reavers (Crimson Fleet) to stir up trouble around Sea of Dread and Thyatis as a prelude to a second invasion through Sind and Darokin. I'm also using some background ideas about the Master having the Chaos Star from the Heldannic Knights Gaz
BUT
Demogorgon worshippers infiltrated the Fleet and diverted their goal from what the Master had been intending - so rather than harrying the navies, they have seeding the Shadow pearls too. Inadvertantly, this will actually benefit the Master , but the Fleet havent bene the visible threat to divert the Known Worlds attention as much as he's hoped.

I thought the party may pay a visit to Orc's Head Peninsula and Savage baronies, but not happened as yet. Involving Pyre would be a really interesting idea....!
Wyrin
Orc

Postby JTrithen » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:50 am

Oh, I didn't dismiss the idea that Demogorgon was still involved (and certainly would be more powerful than the Master or Pyre, anyway, so that would make him the penultimate bad guy, as originally intended in the AP)!

Looks like a lot of connections going on, Wyrin. I like the levels that you have going on. Always fun to hear other DMs' interwoven stories. (And, half the time, the players don't quite get it all or much care. ;) Just speaking from experience.)
JTrithen
Ogre

Return to Mystara