[Thorn's Chronicle Crunch]: As crunchy as it gets

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

RobJN
Dire Flumph

[Thorn's Chronicle Crunch]: As crunchy as it gets

Post by RobJN » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:08 am

I have snipped the discussion of the "Thorn-izing" of Alfheim to a separate thread.

The soon-to-be-new-home of Thorn's Chronicle has been updated with the "Thorn-ized" capsule summary of timeline events:

3000 BC Andahar’s Engine causes Demon’s Excoriation. Backlash taints the planetary source of magic, driving wizards insane, who then remake the world in their madness. Elves separate from Men, finding seclusion in the forests of Vulcania.

2800 BC Seeds of madness begin appearing in elves. Illsundal takes those still unaffected and begins the Long March to the north.

2100 BC Group of elves, sickening, settle in Glantri, unable to continue.

2100 BC Illsundal’s migration reaches the Sylvan Realm

1800 BC Illsundal’s research yields the first Tree of Life, securing his Immortality.

1700 BC Lesser Rain of Fire: Either seeking a cure to their rotting disease, driven by its resulting madness, or at the behest of the demons whispering from the other side of the Seal, elves tamper with the dimensional seal laid over the ley line nexus along the southern fringes of Northern Grondheim. The resulting devastation creates the Broken Lands.

1100 BC Falling of the East and Western stars: Gateseeds crash in the Colossus Mounts and Sundsvall Barrens on Alphatia

1000 BC Alphatians make Landfall through their Gate, unknowingly bringing thousands more ethereal demons through with them before they close and seal the Gateway.

800 BC Mealiden calls for evacuation of the Sylvan Realm. Clans take cuttings from the Tree of Life. Feadiel clan remains behind to secure the Rainbow Bridge against Moorkroft’s forces. Weatherchange ceremonies begin, as elves replant the cuttings, infusing the lands with the magic inherent in the Tree of Life.

700 BC Canolbarth raised. Mealiden acclaimed king of the Elves of Alfheim

500 BC Nithian Empire falls, is purged from mortal memory

350 BC Mealiden abdicates, Alevar of Grunalf becomes king

250 BC Mealiden achieves Immortality in the Sphere of Energy

0 AC First emperor of Thyatis crowned

100 AC Celedryl is crowned king of Alfheim

550 AC Illodius, first lieutenant of Moorkroft, invades Alfheim with an army of demons and beast men.

560 AC White Witches descend on Alfheim on their pillars of light. Tide of battle turns in elves’ favor. Witches begin unraveling and reweaving the forest’s magic into a barrier.

600 AC Sylvan Realm goes dark.

675 AC Alfheim goes silent. A few hundred yards from the borders, all but a few pockets of the forest is turned to stone. Sheets of a glossy, black stone stretch at seemingly random intervals between trees, creating an impossible labyrinth of dizzying, warped reflections. None who dare to explore the maze return.

I like to dig into the history, first, to see where events can be teased apart and re-worked.

Some notes:
  • Feadiel's retreat from the Sylvan Realm and subsequent arrival in Alfheim is missing. That clan's fate is unknown, until chronicled by a certain exiled journeyman druid
  • Erewan faction appears in Glantri, nearly en masse, stepping through a ring of black stones. Each elf wears a gemstone pendant, and their society seems loosely structured around the clarity of the stones.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: [Thorn's Chronicle Crunch]: As crunchy as it gets

Post by Chimpman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:02 pm

A few things caught my eye right off the bat.
RobJN wrote:550 AC Illodius, first lieutenant of Moorkroft, invades Alfheim with an army of demons and beast men.

560 AC White Witches descend on Alfheim on their pillars of light. Tide of battle turns in elves’ favor. Witches begin unraveling and reweaving the forest’s magic into a barrier.
The event with the White Witches sounds rather important, and I'd like to learn more about what they are and what they can do.
RobJN wrote:675 AC Alfheim goes silent. A few hundred yards from the borders, all but a few pockets of the forest is turned to stone. Sheets of a glossy, black stone stretch at seemingly random intervals between trees, creating an impossible labyrinth of dizzying, warped reflections. None who dare to explore the maze return.
  • Erewan faction appears in Glantri, nearly en masse, stepping through a ring of black stones. Each elf wears a gemstone pendant, and their society seems loosely structured around the clarity of the stones.
It almost sounds to me like Alfheim was pulled into another dimension (possibly the Fey Realm) and that the petrified trees are more like an afterimage or shadow of what was once really there. Folks who enter the petrified maze are actually transported across the planes and end up spending the rest of their lives in the Fey Realm (or where ever). Have any of the other elf clans been seen since the forest turned stone?

(If not) The fact that the Erewan have emerged from where ever this is, could say a couple of different things. 1) They were lucky and escaped. This could mean that the other elves are still trapped there, perhaps paying some price for the help of the White Witches. 2) They were expelled for some evil committed.
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Chimpman wrote:A few things caught my eye right off the bat.

The event with the White Witches sounds rather important, and I'd like to learn more about what they are and what they can do.
White witches figure quite prominently at key points in the histories of Thorn's Mystara (cf. Petra's Handmaidens from the Traldar's 40 Years War with the Beast Men)
Chimpman wrote:It almost sounds to me like Alfheim was pulled into another dimension (possibly the Fey Realm) and that the petrified trees are more like an afterimage or shadow of what was once really there. Folks who enter the petrified maze are actually transported across the planes and end up spending the rest of their lives in the Fey Realm (or where ever). Have any of the other elf clans been seen since the forest turned stone?
Those who do not know the forest's secret are doomed to wander until they perish. To quote Aurora: "There are hundreds... thousands of ways in, but only three ways out." Of the six clans that settled the Canolbarth, only the Erewan faction of Erendyl have been seen since the forest... changed.
Chimpman wrote:(If not) The fact that the Erewan have emerged from where ever this is, could say a couple of different things. 1) They were lucky and escaped. This could mean that the other elves are still trapped there, perhaps paying some price for the help of the White Witches. 2) They were expelled for some evil committed.
Escaped is a good term. Elves and Witches both paid a heavy price.
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:44 pm

The Forest of Canolbarth
Canolbarth, to those who do not know its secret, appears to be a spooky, creepy forest that suddenly turns to stone less than a quarter mile from the old border with Darokin.

Borderlands and beneath the Shadows
Falling under the shadows of the trees -- either the live ones left at the borderlands or those that have been turned to stone -- subjects the wanderer to the whisperings of the countless demons bound within the forest. A Saving Throw vs. Spells is needed to shake off the influence of the ethereal demons. Those who succeed normally flee at this point. Another Save is needed every two hours. Those failing their Saving Throw are drawn into the physical bounds of the forest, and once they stumble into the petrified remains of the woods, they must make another Saving Throw vs. Spells once their gaze falls upon any of the panes of glossy black stone strung between the boughs and trunks of the great trees, or be struck by a confusion effect, which lasts for 2d8 turns. A wanderer is immune to the effect of the stone for 2d8 turns if the Save is successful, after which point, another Saving Throw is called for if they should gaze again on the stone (even if it is a pane they have already passed).

This material is razor thin sheets of Andahar Onyx. It can be seen through with a strong light source on the opposite side. That which is on the opposite side of the pane of semi-translucent stone appears shadowy, warped and smoky, nearly lost within the reflections on the surface. Fleeting figures and shadows can be seen within the stone, and the viewer's reflection is usually grossly distorted, appearing as a thinner, wasted and ghastly version of the original. Staring too long at the reflection causes it to animate, beckoning the viewer closer, reaching out a bony, desiccated hand.

This alter-image of the viewer is actually a manifestation of one or more demons bound within the stone. Touching the reflection bridges the dimensional gap, and allows the demon entry to the viewer -- it is up to the demon whether or not the viewer is even aware that this is happening. A successful Saving Throw vs. Spells will prevent the demon's entry, leaving the viewer dizzied and disoriented. Movement immediately after a failed possession attempt always results in the victim (and/or group) veering off their planned course per the "Becoming Lost" rules in the Expert Rulebook (Mentzer, p.41)/Rules Cyclopedia (p.89).

Travelers along the borderlands/periphery of the forest will find wildlife. If they are lucky, it will simply be stunted or mildly deformed. Every so often a demon will leak through into an animal host, usually resulting in the demon presenting a hideously malformed version of its host: spines, barbs, extra eyes, elongated teeth and claws in the case of predators. Damage is as the host animal type, but raised to the next iteration on the die-scale (1d6 becomes 1d8); viewing the creature calls for a Save vs. Petrification or the hero may be rooted to the spot in fear. Clerics may attempt to Turn the creature as an undead of hit dice one greater than the host animal. A "T" effect indicates the monster will seek prey elsewhere (or will return in 2d8 turns); a "D" or greater effect drives the demon into hibernation within the host, which gets its own Save vs. Spells to eject the possessor. Clerics of the Silver Flame achieving a "D" result will drive the demon out. (This then opens the can of worms of the ethereal demon seeking a host before it is forced back across the ethereal boundary)

Outside of Turn attempts, demon-possessed wildlife is fearless when it comes to Morale checks: the demon will always drive its host to fight to the death.

The Forest Interior
Far from being quiet as a tomb, Alfheim, though cast in stone, sounds very much alive. The waterways echo off the vaulted stone canopies, and the winds moan and keen through the hollows and nooks within the petrified overgrowth. And everywhere, the demonic whispering can be heard, like the rustling of underbrush. Though the winds cause no movement among the stoneformed plants, shadows still bob and weave and dance one among the other. The shadows can come to life just about anywhere, but usually concentrate among one or another of the twisted magic points.

Travelers beneath the petrified boughs had best bring their own food, for nothing grows in the stone forest. The only exceptions are the pockets of forest still alive around the "good" magic points and Trees of Life. There, wanderers can hope to find enough to sustain themselves for 3 or 4 days at a time. Though the waters are not poisoned, they do taste brackish and stale. Drinking too much at a time results in nausea (similar to exposure to troglodyte stench) Boiling the water will make it safely drinkable (but good luck finding enough wood to make a fire).

Those trees left alive are warped, twisted, radiating an almost-palpable sense of pain. Cutting the trees causes them to scream, flinch away, and bleed. Tapped trees release blood, not sap.

At seemingly random intervals, pillars of gray stone dot the forest, seeming to sprout from the petrified ground. They range anywhere from two to five and a half feet tall. Some are found on their own, others in groups (2d4) with no discernible pattern to their layout.

Also scattered about the forest are three dozen statues of pure white marble, all identically carved in the shape of a short, robed girl. Those closest to the Trees of Life (and there is always at least one within the Tree's magical radius) are accompanied (hand in hand) with a gray stone statue of an elf in full ceremonial garb. There are subtle differences among the statues: half of them have etchings of silver along their lower arms and brow, while the other half have etchings in threads of gold, the pattern the exact opposite of those of silver. Approximately half of those etched with the golden markings bear representations of great-bladed swords, clutched at military rest, point-down, the sword's tips actually penetrating the stone of the forest's floor.
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Canolbarth: The Prison of Dreams

The forest is not dead, nor is the nation of elves trapped within its stony borders. The trees and elves, and all the creatures are held in the twilight between dreaming and wakefulness, in the suspension field generated by thrumming vibration of the labyrinth of Andahar Onyx woven through the forest.

Each pane of Onyx has four ways to enter. The first three only draw in the wanderers’ consciousness, leaving their body in a slumber-like state: at the beckoning of the demon(s) trapped within, at the behest of the elven guardian, unwittingly (touching the glass, or falling asleep while reflected in it). The fourth method, physical entry, requires one of the Masks, or the assistance of a Daughter of Andahar.
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:01 pm

Beyond the Fusion Boundary

The “other side” of a sheet or facet of Andahar Onyx manifests as a darkened, distorted version of the original reflected landscape. The “natural” state is a perpetual twilight, the shadows long and deep, most of the colors blending towards blacks and blues and grays. Reflections -- even from the most highly-polished of shields or armor -- appear dulled, muted, washed out, much like a black dragonstone’s Veiling, but without the watery, wavering distortion brought on by movement.

Fires will burn, and materials combust as they normally would. Flame consumes fuel at the “normal” rate, but the light itself is dulled, bending towards reds and oranges. With few exceptions, natural light sources are only half as effective as normal.

Magical light sources retain their full effectiveness. and magical fire burns with full brightness. This could bedazzle or frighten “natives” who have adapted to the low-light conditions on the far side of the Fusion Boundary, at the DM’s discretion.

As far as Alfheim is concerned, there are very few physical inhabitants on the far side of the Fusion Boundary. A few elven heroes and wizards, a treekeeper or two, and the odd adventurer who either managed to capture the interest of one of the few remaining active Reapers, or lucked into being near a Tree of Life or in the Misthaven magic point during a proper alignment of stars.
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Silent Sisterhood: The Reaper-class Daughters

The guardians along the Fusion Boundary at one time were known by many different names: Silent Sisters. The Songless. The Recommissioned. Princesses of the Night. Handmaidens of Matera. As the ages grew on and people forgot their origin, the guardians’ proclivity towards black robes and scythes -- along with the skull-like appearance of their ivory breath-masks -- lent them another nickname: Reapers. They do not correct the sometimes-paralyzing fear their visages bring about in mortals, for it serves to protect them as the Reaper pursues her true goal: the capture and binding of ethereal demonic essences to black dragonstones, or the direct conflict with demons powerful enough to manifest within the confines of the Fusion Boundary.

Reaper-class Daughters combine the strength of the shrike with the binding powers of the siren. A Daughter of the Reaper class is literally a fusion of the two different physiologies. The enhancements do not come without a price: Reapers are mute. Unlike the golden and silver-bedecked perfection of their sisters, the Songless are almost always crisscrossed with scars. Their regenerative subroutines are not as sophisticated as those of the frontline shrike or siren.

Reapers always work in a triumvirate, each bearing a scythe tuned to a different note of the chord needed to lock a demonic essence into a black dragonstone.

Unlike their sisters, Reapers dress exclusively in flowing black robes with deep hoods. Some Blackmoorian scientist with a morbid sense of humor crafted their ivory breath masks to resemble skulls, the sunken eyes actually thinly-cut lenses of black dragonstone crystal. The Val'Kira bracers of the Reapers are platinum-alloyed World Shield, outfitted with two to three black dragonstones per bracer. With Tenser's Seals disabled when a Reaper must fight hand-to-hand, the flow of platinum metal to reinforce their fingers further bolsters the image that their arms are nothing more than skeletal appendages.
Rob

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:00 pm

Cool. So, would the Reapers actually be a "3rd" sister, or are they simply a modified form of one of the other two? Or are they literally a (genetic) combination of the other two?
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Chimpman wrote:Cool. So, would the Reapers actually be a "3rd" sister, or are they simply a modified form of one of the other two? Or are they literally a (genetic) combination of the other two?
Reapers are either genetic combinations of the two, or (as was done in some of the 'backwater' colonies) remnants of the two cobbled together...
Rob

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:21 pm

Cobbled together? :shock: Yikes. That's creepy ;)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:39 pm

Not directly related to Alfheim, but still crunchy, Thorn-y goodness. Cross-posted from the Other Worlds board:
RobJN wrote:Resurrecting this thread, because tomorrow is Alternity Game Day. Get out the books, run some adventures, indoctrinate introduce some friends to the system!

In honor of AGD, I've finally compiled some notes on a new species I've been kicking around for some time: The Soulbound Construct, suitable for use in a PL-3 worlds with some magical/psionic effects.

This is, of course, based off the characters Silva and Aurora, from Thorn's Chronicle. If you should need an adventure in which to set your own construct loose, you might try the first from the Thorn's Chronicle Adventure Path: TC1: The Baron's Favor (in Alternity-prototype flavor)
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun May 27, 2012 3:48 pm

Darklands of Skothar, 24 miles per hex
Map is too big to post, but you can see it here on the blog, or here on the Facebook page.

Notes on the locations coming soon!
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:05 pm

The Karrnath's Realm, Eastern Glittering Lands
The (still very much in progress) map of the Eastern Reaches of Loktar's Glittering Lands can be seen here on the blog, or here on the Facebook page.

Yes, I now it doesn't have any labels yet. Here's a hint: the "fort" in the upper left is Fort Cruth, and the big ol' river is the Magos.

First try using Hexographer. :oops:
Rob

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Great work Rob! Looking forward to seeing the labelled version too :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm thinking I might update this as Thorn and company encounter the various areas, a-la Bruce's Savage Coast entries of the Voyages of the Princess Ark.
Rob

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:48 pm

Awesome Rob! I'd really love to see these kinds of maps go along with Thorn's travels, a-la VotPA. I've got some comments on the map - really more focused on the outer world terrain.

These comments are of course colored by my own opinions of the time, so take what you wish and discard the rest ;).
- Check out the BC 1700 map of the Known World (unfortunately I don't have anything later posted... yet ;) ). This would be about 700 years previous to your map, so some things would have changed, but the one big thing is that this is still pre-elves (who don't show up until circa BC 800-700 or so), so I don't think there should be trees north of the mountains.

- I've got a lake in the BC 1700 map. I'm not quite sure how I want to handle this throughout the years to come, but there are two possibilities: 1) Have the lake gradually dry up over time. 2) Have the lake stay more or less as is until BC 700 (when the elves move in). At that point it would be a major water source for their first forest spells and would begin to rapidly recede.

- One thing I've been trying to do with these historical maps is figure out possible different routes for rivers and other water features. 2000 years is plenty of time for the paths of rivers and such to change. It looks like there is a portion of the Black Peaks that functions as a sort of catch basin, draining water into the mountains which later comes out at what I'm assuming would be the Magos River. What if that didn't happen? What if the dwarves built some kind of underground dam with a spillway that exited to the north (and perhaps into that lake I mentioned above), rather than to the south? Then at some point in the future, the dam could break causing massive damage (basically destroying the realm from the inside out) and the water might find a new route out to the south (becoming the Magos).

Another question this map brings is just what might be lurking under the Black Peaks in the modern era... :twisted:

Anyway, just some thoughts. I love the map, and I hope to see many more!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Actually, my map is more-or-less 1000 AC -- "Thorn's Age" if you will. The Glittering Realm is very much on its last legs: Much of the land is uninhabitable, due to the poisonous fumes from the lake of lava in the western cavern. The "city" has barely enough population to be considered such. The fungal forests barely produce enough food for the inhabitants, so much of the sustenance for the Eastern Realms is stolen from the Karameikos and Darokin shipping lanes to the north and south of the Black Peaks.

One of the nice things about this Hexmapper -- swap some terrain symbols around, and voila!-- you can move forward or backwards in time, so actually making the map for "Golden Age" Glittering Lands wouldn't be too difficult.

I really like your notes regarding the "outer lands" -- indeed, in the Glittering Lands' heyday, the holdings would have extended well beyond the great caverns and galleries beneath the Black Peaks. This location's proximity to Fenhold is not entirely coincidental. I think Loktar might have had an aqueduct, drawing from the Water Gate's lake that drowned Fenhold, as the main water supply for these Eastern Realms. Damming up the drainage channels would have created a great reservoir smack in the middle of the Realm. When Fenhold dried up, the dwarves would have had to rely strictly on snowmelt collecting from the Black Peaks. The drop in water level would have cut off water to many of the more distant caverns, which were left to crumble to ruins. And then, of course, there was the Syharwehrf's Doom, that came down upon the Eastern Realms, haunting the survivors into the present day.....

I'm terrible with timelines, and will have to compare notes between The Five Shires, Rockhome, and Alfheim gazetteers to see just what happened when. If I remember rightly, the Handmaidens, trapped around 980BC, could have encountered surface scouts of Loktar's invasion force, which would have been spread all along the breadth of the Black Peaks and Cruth Mountains, massing for their invasion of the Hin's lands in another 20 or so years (c. 960 BC?)

Interesting, to see how close these Eastern Realms are to the Valley of the Hutaaka, which, as we know, is the site of the ruins of the Blackmoor Colony Belerophon, which was a research station supplying the as-yet-unnamed World Mountain outpost, at the very western fringes of the Blackmoor Empire in the Beastman Crusades.... :twisted:
Rob

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:57 pm

RobJN wrote:Actually, my map is more-or-less 1000 AC -- "Thorn's Age" if you will. The Glittering Realm is very much on its last legs: Much of the land is uninhabitable, due to the poisonous fumes from the lake of lava in the western cavern. The "city" has barely enough population to be considered such. The fungal forests barely produce enough food for the inhabitants, so much of the sustenance for the Eastern Realms is stolen from the Karameikos and Darokin shipping lanes to the north and south of the Black Peaks.
Doh! :oops: I thought we were looking at a map for the Handmaidens of Petra (or whatever they call themselves ;) ). That'll teach me to post before I'm caught up on my reading...
RobJN wrote:One of the nice things about this Hexmapper -- swap some terrain symbols around, and voila!-- you can move forward or backwards in time, so actually making the map for "Golden Age" Glittering Lands wouldn't be too difficult.
Cool. I would, of course, love to see this. I really do want to get back to some historical maps, moving from BC 1700 to BC 1000 to BC 500 at the very least. Some other years probably also deserve maps of their own (I'm thinking some time points for the creation of Alfheim), but there might be others as well.
RobJN wrote:I really like your notes regarding the "outer lands" -- indeed, in the Glittering Lands' heyday, the holdings would have extended well beyond the great caverns and galleries beneath the Black Peaks. This location's proximity to Fenhold is not entirely coincidental. I think Loktar might have had an aqueduct, drawing from the Water Gate's lake that drowned Fenhold, as the main water supply for these Eastern Realms. Damming up the drainage channels would have created a great reservoir smack in the middle of the Realm. When Fenhold dried up, the dwarves would have had to rely strictly on snowmelt collecting from the Black Peaks. The drop in water level would have cut off water to many of the more distant caverns, which were left to crumble to ruins. And then, of course, there was the Syharwehrf's Doom, that came down upon the Eastern Realms, haunting the survivors into the present day.....
:o
RobJN wrote:I'm terrible with timelines, and will have to compare notes between The Five Shires, Rockhome, and Alfheim gazetteers to see just what happened when. If I remember rightly, the Handmaidens, trapped around 980BC, could have encountered surface scouts of Loktar's invasion force, which would have been spread all along the breadth of the Black Peaks and Cruth Mountains, massing for their invasion of the Hin's lands in another 20 or so years (c. 960 BC?)
RobJN wrote: I wrote a nice littel java program years ago that let me plug timelines into a directory and then would collect them all and splice them together. Invaluable when working on historical events. It might still be out there actually... let me see...
Yup. See Khoronus Timeline.
It looks like some of the Gaz timelines are missing from the web site, but I have them all at home if you want them.
RobJN wrote:Interesting, to see how close these Eastern Realms are to the Valley of the Hutaaka, which, as we know, is the site of the ruins of the Blackmoor Colony Belerophon, which was a research station supplying the as-yet-unnamed World Mountain outpost, at the very western fringes of the Blackmoor Empire in the Beastman Crusades.... :twisted:
Very interesting indeed. I can't wait to see what you come up with here!
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:15 pm

Chimpman wrote:
RobJN wrote: And then, of course, there was the Syharwehrf's Doom, that came down upon the Eastern Realms, haunting the survivors into the present day.....
:o
Amazing, the imagery two little words can conjure up, in't it? ;) :twisted: Remember how Aurora dealt with the Kartoeba? Take a dozen of them, make them mad, and see what happens.....
Chimpman wrote:I wrote a nice littel java program years ago that let me plug timelines into a directory and then would collect them all and splice them together. Invaluable when working on historical events. It might still be out there actually... let me see...
It looks like some of the Gaz timelines are missing from the web site, but I have them all at home if you want them.
It looks like the geocities links went ka-put :( But I'd be very interested in the program and source files, if only to add Thorn's Timeline to the pot...
Chimpman wrote:Very interesting indeed. I can't wait to see what you come up with here!
Oh, much of this is slated to be revealed in the next few weeks' of Thorn's Chronicle....
Rob

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:31 pm

RobJN wrote:
Chimpman wrote:I wrote a nice littel java program years ago that let me plug timelines into a directory and then would collect them all and splice them together. Invaluable when working on historical events. It might still be out there actually... let me see...
It looks like the geocities links went ka-put :( But I'd be very interested in the program and source files, if only to add Thorn's Timeline to the pot...
Didn't even realize I was still linking to geocities for the zip. I have it shared with GoogleDocs now... see if you can download it. It comes packaged with most of the history files, so you should be able to get those as well. I'll see about updating the page a bit better later.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:40 pm

Chimpman wrote:Didn't even realize I was still linking to geocities for the zip. I have it shared with GoogleDocs now... see if you can download it. It comes packaged with most of the history files, so you should be able to get those as well. I'll see about updating the page a bit better later.
Worked, thanks!
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:42 am

Posted some early work on the eastern Glittering Empire over on the Facebook page....
Rob

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:57 pm

Hey Rob,

Just out of curiosity, are there canon sources that you are pulling from with regards to Kurest Hurgon? I'm just not familiar with that name.
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Chimpman wrote:Hey Rob,

Just out of curiosity, are there canon sources that you are pulling from with regards to Kurest Hurgon? I'm just not familiar with that name.
Borrowed that from agathokles' awesome work on the Cruth Lowlands. Rather than just take and take and take from my fellow Piazzans, I thought I'd try to carry the torch and try my hand at my own bit of development.

Not sure if the mine is outlined at all from the DM's Kit (I had a copy, way back when, but I didn't bring it with when I let the Bay Area for TX)
Rob

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:15 pm

Thanks!

There is nothing more in the DM's Survival Kit on that mine.

GP

Return to “Mystara”