The Isle of Dread returns

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Gawain_VIII, Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew

The Isle of Dread returns

Postby mister c » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:45 am

The latest 'Lair Assault' program from Wizards is set in the Isle of Dread. I know it was 'nicked' from Mystara, but still nice to see it back again. Here's the intro text;

Attack of the Tyrantclaw
A dryad druid named Hyacinth has recently learned of a ruined village called Tanaroa on the shores of the mysterious Isle of Dread. Now she hopes to land there and delve into the ruins of this long-ago society. She has chartered a ship to the island and hired adventurers to protect her. The job won’t be easy, for a savage clan of orcs called the Tyrantclaw dwells on the island, along with great reptilian beasts.

As you start your assault, here are the first words you’ll hear:

You have been contracted to protect an intrepid druid named Hyacinth. It’s a little odd working for a dryad, but the pay is good, and she assures you that your help is essential to her mission.

As for the mission, it’s no less than an expedition to the mysterious Isle of Dread. Hyacinth needs your help reaching a powerful obelisk deep in the jungle. She has said that she needs your protection while she performs a ritual at the obelisk, which will lay bare the secrets of the powerful transformation magic that the island’s natives once used. The only hitch: The island is home to a host of terrible creatures, including dinosaurs and a tribe of savage orcs known as the Tyrantclaw.

Hyacinth has provided you with a selection of resources to aid in the expedition. Choose wisely, because it could mean the difference between life and death.
mister c
Ogre

Re: The Isle of Dread returns

Postby NPCDave » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:36 pm

Link

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx ... s/20120210

So is this a special booklet issued to stores for their play network program?
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby BotWizo » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:12 pm

yes, it is what they renamed their encounters program.

if i am wrong it is in addition to the encounters program.

i have not been playing at the shop lately, we are too busy playing out home campaign.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Postby mister c » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:02 pm

It is supposed to be seperate to the Encounters program, the idea being that you bring your own optimised characters and try to survive a very tough series of encounters. Not tried it myself as my FLGS doesn't seem to be interested.
mister c
Ogre

Postby Havard » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:30 pm

It is interesting that they keep using Mystara locations for their Encounters/Lair Assault :ugeek:

Is this a booklet I can buy? If so where?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby True_Atlantean » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:04 am

Havard wrote:It is interesting that they keep using Mystara locations for their Encounters/Lair Assault :ugeek:

That's because you can't keep the classics down. I've been intrigued about these of plenty of 1st and 2nd edition ideas and IP for Encounters in the last year - perhaps his is another way WotC is trying to woo 'old school' gamers into their FLGS?

I'd love to try these out but the closest store is almost two hours away. I can't see a viable return on investment from that sort of trip, though. The video posted by WotC for Encounters was very appealing, though.
The Mirage Arcana Podcast Archive has moved. Visit us here.
Keep up-to-date with RPG news at my Scoop.It page.
Kippers and Jam, a blog about roleplaying.
True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Postby Havard » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:34 pm

mister c wrote:Attack of the Tyrantclaw
A dryad druid named Hyacinth has recently learned of a ruined village called Tanaroa on the shores of the mysterious Isle of Dread. Now she hopes to land there and delve into the ruins of this long-ago society. She has chartered a ship to the island and hired adventurers to protect her. The job won’t be easy, for a savage clan of orcs called the Tyrantclaw dwells on the island, along with great reptilian beasts.

You have been contracted to protect an intrepid druid named Hyacinth. It’s a little odd working for a dryad, but the pay is good, and she assures you that your help is essential to her mission.

As for the mission, it’s no less than an expedition to the mysterious Isle of Dread. Hyacinth needs your help reaching a powerful obelisk deep in the jungle. She has said that she needs your protection while she performs a ritual at the obelisk, which will lay bare the secrets of the powerful transformation magic that the island’s natives once used. The only hitch: The island is home to a host of terrible creatures, including dinosaurs and a tribe of savage orcs known as the Tyrantclaw.

Hyacinth has provided you with a selection of resources to aid in the expedition. Choose wisely, because it could mean the difference between life and death.

Some interesting things:

• Hyacinth the Dryad Druid.
  • Tyrantclaw Tribe of Orcs live on the Isle of Dread
  • Tanaroa is now destroyed. This is set after X1 then and even after the Savage Tides.
  • The natives once used an obelisk on the Island to draw on powerful transformation magic.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby NPCDave » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:36 am

Havard wrote:It is interesting that they keep using Mystara locations for their Encounters/Lair Assault :ugeek:

Is this a booklet I can buy? If so where?

-Havard

It is a booklet with maps, unfortunately I think it is very limited distribution. Possibly only retail stores? I heard one problem with 4E is that they released some things with potential interest to old school players only for this type of organized play in the retail chain instead of publishing them as adventures anyone can buy.

I checked ebay and saw another D&D Lair Assault booklet on sale for $80.
NPCDave
Stone Giant

Postby Havard » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:21 pm

NPCDave wrote:It is a booklet with maps, unfortunately I think it is very limited distribution. Possibly only retail stores? I heard one problem with 4E is that they released some things with potential interest to old school players only for this type of organized play in the retail chain instead of publishing them as adventures anyone can buy.

Ouch, that's a bit pricey even for a hard-core completionist like myself! Its odd that they dont offer them for sale or even as free downloads (or DDI exclusive) at least after the fact?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby BotWizo » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:28 pm

Havard wrote:
NPCDave wrote:It is a booklet with maps, unfortunately I think it is very limited distribution. Possibly only retail stores? I heard one problem with 4E is that they released some things with potential interest to old school players only for this type of organized play in the retail chain instead of publishing them as adventures anyone can buy.

Ouch, that's a bit pricey even for a hard-core completionist like myself! Its odd that they dont offer them for sale or even as free downloads (or DDI exclusive) at least after the fact?

-Havard

They end up being more or less rewards for DMs who came in and ran the encounters, so in that way if you DM at your local shop you get some cool swag and the shop/wizards doesn't have to pay you.
Since it is hard to find good DMs this doesn't seem like a bad idea to reward those willing to put their time into running stuff since they don't pay them.

I wish they would release them cause I don't have time to run stuff. I ran some of the very first encounters, but life is too busy now.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Postby Havard » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:43 pm

OTOH, we now have the backstory, info on new "players" and the cover art. We already have a map of the Island and details of the different locations of interest. PErhaps that is all we need? :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Havard » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:27 pm

Havard wrote:
mister c wrote:Attack of the Tyrantclaw

Some interesting things:

• Tanaroa is now destroyed. This is set after X1 then and even after the Savage Tides.
  • The natives once used an obelisk on the Island to draw on powerful transformation magic.

I managed to get hold of a copy of this booklet :cool:

While I would not recommend paying large sums of money for it, the booklet does include some interesting tidbits.

• The Island is a nexus between multiple planes and worlds. It is typically reached from the Feywild
  • The Island was once part of a fallen Kopru Empire, which collapsed as a result of native rebellion.
  • The natives have now abandoned Taranaroa
  • The Tanaroa matriarchs were once able to use the Obelisk to turn themselves into Dinosaurs.
  • An Orc Tribe known as Tyrantclaw lives on the island. Some of them use dinosaurs as mounts.
  • Hyacinth the Druidess hopes to access this Obelisk magic to turn herself into a dinosaur. Is she a follower of Ka?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby mister c » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:12 am

Thanks for that, great to know what's in it.
mister c
Ogre

Postby maddog » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:30 pm

Havard wrote:Some interesting things:

• The Island is a nexus between multiple planes and worlds. It is typically reached from the Feywild
  • The Island was once part of a fallen Kopru Empire, which collapsed as a result of native rebellion.
  • The natives have now abandoned Taranaroa
  • The Tanaroa matriarchs were once able to use the Obelisk to turn themselves into Dinosaurs.
  • An Orc Tribe known as Tyrantclaw lives on the island. Some of them use dinosaurs as mounts.
  • Hyacinth the Druidess hopes to access this Obelisk magic to turn herself into a dinosaur. Is she a follower of Ka?

This sounds like a mini-campaign! Stolen! Snagged! Put in my IoD ideas document. :D
--Ray.
---
Hey! I just became a stone giant!
My Moderator voice is in Green.
Moderator of Dragonlance forum.
maddog
Frost Giant

Postby Ambreville » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:38 pm

It's an interesting concept. It's curious that bits of Mystara show up in non-specific titles due to personal preferences of writers, rather than a conscious editorial/marketing decision.
Bruce Heard otherwise known as Ambreville
My Blog: Calidar on Blogspot,
Calidar Publishing on DTRPG
Calidar on Facebook, Calidar Page on G+,
Mystara on Facebook, Mystara Page on G+, Princess Ark on Facebook
Twitter @Ambreville (#Mystara #WorldOfCalidar)
Ambreville
World Soul

Postby dolsen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:07 am

Rumor has it that Isle of Dread is also returning in a D&D Next context a la the Caves of Chaos from a few months ago. But you didn't hear that from me :x
dolsen
Orc

Postby Havard » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:43 am

Ambreville wrote:It's an interesting concept. It's curious that bits of Mystara show up in non-specific titles due to personal preferences of writers, rather than a conscious editorial/marketing decision.

Several links to Mystara have appeared over the last few editions. The Isle of Dread has appeared in a number of products, as has the Keep on the Borderlands, the Caves of Chaos, Orcus, Demogorgon etc. Granted, a few of those are "shared D&D" elements which also exist in Mystara, while the Isle of Dread was explicitly tied to the Known World from the beginning. A list of 3E, 4E and 5E products with links to Mystara content can be found here.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby LordJuss » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:36 pm

Interesting. I'll add some of those into the (being worked on again) Sea of Dread Gazetteer.

LJ.
LordJuss
Hobgoblin

Postby Havard » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:12 pm

LordJuss wrote:Interesting. I'll add some of those into the (being worked on again) Sea of Dread Gazetteer.

That is great news LordJuss!

Some things it would be interesting to include:

Maybe it could also be fun to add something about Fey attempting to steal the Isle of Dread and bring it into the Dreamlands as a small wink to 4E? ;)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby LordJuss » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:28 am

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas. I'm trying to avoid including characters specific to another setting, but the locations look good. Does anyone have a description of the obelisk and how it functions from the Lair Assault? It would be useful to know.

Cheers,

LJ.
LordJuss
Hobgoblin

Postby Havard » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:35 am

LordJuss wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the ideas. I'm trying to avoid including characters specific to another setting, but the locations look good.

Makes sense. AFAIK I don't think any of the characters I mentioned are "claimed" by any other setting, but I guess that depends on how you look at it :)

Does anyone have a description of the obelisk and how it functions from the Lair Assault? It would be useful to know.

The obelisk was used by the Tanaroans in order to turn themselves into Dinosaurs. I can check for more details. Hyacinth the Druid is trying to achieve the same thing in Lair Assault, so presumably this power can only be accessed by Druids or Shamans etc...

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby kristhomas » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:17 am

a dryad druid? that's kinda amusing etymologically speaking
kristhomas
Bugbear

Postby LordJuss » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:01 am

If only she was part robot. Then we could have a dryad druid droid.

Maybe not.

LJ.
LordJuss
Hobgoblin

Postby mister c » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:34 am

Just got the link for the next playtest, and the Isle of Dread is the included adventure :)
Not rread it yet, but I'll post anything of interest when I do.
mister c
Ogre

Postby Havard » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:49 pm

mister c wrote:Just got the link for the next playtest, and the Isle of Dread is the included adventure :)
Not rread it yet, but I'll post anything of interest when I do.

W00t! :shock: :cool:

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Next

Return to Mystara