[FC:Specularum] District heraldry and patrons

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

agathokles
Red Dragon

[FC:Specularum] District heraldry and patrons

Post by agathokles » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:59 pm

Hi all,

here are some (preliminary) ideas for the devices, mottoes, immortal patrons and colours of the various districts.
I'm quite uncertain on the status of The Nest, due to the lack of government control in the area (would it provide a militia regiment or have a local administration?).

For the other districts I've done some work in defining the origins of the various heraldic charges displayed on the district banners.
OTOH, I hope someone can also come up with better mottoes, and maybe additional historical background for the various districts.

GP

District Coats of Arms

Hill District
Device: Per chevron wavy Sable and Argent, three towers countercharged.
Originally, the Hill was blazoned "Sable a mount argent in base". The towers were added after its company defended Marilenev in the Traladaran Wars, and at the same time the mount was abstracted into the current partition.
Motto: "Over all things I stand"
Patron: Petra
Colours: Black and white

South End
Device: Quarterly: 1st and 4th Vert an ox charging Argent; 2nd and 3rd Vair a bezant.
Originally, the South End has a "Vert an ox statant Argent" hinting at the rural nature of the ward. A chief Vair was added and the ox changed its position to charging after the South End regiment led the Marilenev army in the battle of Stolos River against Halag. Finally, the device was restructured to the current form and the bezants were added after the foundation of the Magician's Guild (the first major guild to be quartered in this ward).
Motto: "Fear the wraith of the meek"
Patron: St. Chardastes
Colours: White and green, trimmed blue

Old Quarter
Device: Or three bendlets Sable between two doves Argent.
Originally, the Old Quarter had "Or a bend Sable", but was demoted to two bendlets after the Thyatian conquest. One bendlet was then added by Duke Stefan after pacifying the area in 970 AC. The doves were added after St. Kruskiev's monastery was build (which may be before or after the other events).
Motto: "Light in darkness"
Patron: St. Kruskiev
Colours: Yellow and black

North End
Device: Azure two chevronels between three anchors Argent.
Originally, the North End arms were blazoned "Gules two chevronels Argent". After the construction of the Naval Arsenal, three anchors were added. The change of the field to Azure came after the Marilenev rebellion, when the North End (prevalently Thyatian) population sided with Duke Stefan (contrary to the other wards).
Motto: "Bounty of the sea, loyalty of the earth"
Patron: St. Lucor
Colours: Blue trimmed white

Stronghold
Device: Per fess Gules a dexter arm holding a sceptre Or in pale; Sable a Centaur proper.
The Centaur in the Stronghold arms represents Zirchev's protection. Originally the Stronghold arms were simply Sable a Centaur proper. The arm holding the sceptre was added after Petros Radu move the center of political power from the Hill to the Stronghold district by deposing Duke Alexandr Marilenev.
Motto: "With the Hunter's strength"
Patron: Zirchev
Colours: Red and black trimmed yellow

Church District
Device: Azure a moon Argent between two eagle's claws Or winged Sable affrontee.
Originally displayed Azure a sun Or, which was changed to a moon Argent after the Thyatian conquest. The eagle claws were added after the Hall of the Griffon was built, by permission of the Order.
Motto: "By the will of the Five"
Patron: Vanya
Colours: Blue trimmed white and black

Merchant District
Device: Quarterly: 1st and 4th Vert a set of scales Or; 2nd and 3rd Or a tower Vert.
Originally "Per pale Vert and Or a set of scales countercharged". After the district's more affluent residents financed the construction of the Hightower, they added the tower to their arms.
Motto: "Balance in all things"
Patron: Asterius
Colours: Green and yellow

Bricktop Quarter
Device: Quarterly: 1st and 4th Gules masoned Or; 2nd and 3rd Azure a castle Or.
Originally displayed: Azure a fess Gules masoned or. After the Thyatian conquest, the Bricktop military company, the Guard Phorsis, became the only armed force in Specularum beyond the Thyatian army, and after the Marilenev Rebellion the district added the castle to the arms for the key role of the Guard Phorsis in those events.
Motto: "On firm ground we stand".
Patron: Halav
Colours: Red and Blue trimmed yellow

The Nest
Device: Vert semé of martlets Sable.
Motto:
Patron:
Colours: Green and black

AllanP
Cloud Giant

Re: [FC:Specularum] District heraldry and patrons

Post by AllanP » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:03 pm

GP - more great stuff! Where do you find the time?

Just to note that the avatar image I'm using is, according to K:KoA page 39, the coat of arms of the city of Specularum. This page shows the coats of arms of the cities, towns and elven estates in Karameikos, and notes that the arms of many towns are simplified or modified versions of the those of their rulers. In the case of Specularum, it is the Karameikos family arms with the colours switched.
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:09 pm

AllanP wrote:GP - more great stuff! Where do you find the time?
I'm still almost on holidays. Also, I did at least half of this stuff last week :)
Just to note that the avatar image I'm using is, according to K:KoA page 39, the coat of arms of the city of Specularum. This page shows the coats of arms of the cities, towns and elven estates in Karameikos, and notes that the arms of many towns are simplified or modified versions of the those of their rulers. In the case of Specularum, it is the Karameikos family arms with the colours switched.
Yes, I posted an almost complete list in another thread an hour ago or so :D

GP

Brendan Corliss
Gnoll

Post by Brendan Corliss » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:04 pm

First off, Giampaolo, let me echo Allan's praise - wow! Great stuff... very inspiring... literally, even. :D

I took a stab at creating actual graphics for several of the wards. Let me know what you think.
agathokles wrote: Hill District
Device: Per chevron wavy Sable and Argent, three towers countercharged.
Originally, the Hill was blazoned "Sable a mount argent in base". The towers were added after its company defended Marilenev in the Traladaran Wars, and at the same time the mount was abstracted into the current partition.
Motto: "Over all things I stand"
Patron: Petra
Colours: Black and white
agathokles wrote: South End
Device: Quarterly: 1st and 4th Vert an ox charging Argent; 2nd and 3rd Vair a bezant.
Originally, the South End has a "Vert an ox statant Argent" hinting at the rural nature of the ward. A chief Vair was added and the ox changed its position to charging after the South End regiment led the Marilenev army in the battle of Stolos River against Halag. Finally, the device was restructured to the current form and the bezants were added after the foundation of the Magician's Guild (the first major guild to be quartered in this ward).
Motto: "Fear the wraith of the meek"
Patron: St. Chardastes
Colours: White and green, trimmed blue
I'm guessing you meant "Fear the wrath of the meek" and not wraith... but that could be fun, too. :D
agathokles wrote: Merchant District
Device: Quarterly: 1st and 4th Vert a set of scales Or; 2nd and 3rd Or a tower Vert.
Originally "Per pale Vert and Or a set of scales countercharged". After the district's more affluent residents financed the construction of the Hightower, they added the tower to their arms.
Motto: "Balance in all things"
Patron: Asterius
Colours: Green and yellow
agathokles wrote: Bricktop Quarter
Device: Quarterly: 1st and 4th Gules masoned Or; 2nd and 3rd Azure a castle Or.
Originally displayed: Azure a fess Gules masoned or. After the Thyatian conquest, the Bricktop military company, the Guard Phorsis, became the only armed force in Specularum beyond the Thyatian army, and after the Marilenev Rebellion the district added the castle to the arms for the key role of the Guard Phorsis in those events.
Motto: "On firm ground we stand".
Patron: Halav
Colours: Red and Blue trimmed yellow

I'm not sure I fully understood the blazonry on this one - I can be dense sometime. Let me know if that's what you intended for the CoA here.

-

Feel free to let me know if anything needs to be changed on these. I'll get back on the other wards when I get a chance - still uncertain on how I'm gonna be able to do those.
-Damon
aka Brendan Corliss
Corliss Enterprises, Ltd
Darokin City

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:16 pm

Brendan Corliss wrote:First off, Giampaolo, let me echo Allan's praise - wow! Great stuff... very inspiring... literally, even. :D

I took a stab at creating actual graphics for several of the wards. Let me know what you think.
Excellent! :)

Comments: "wraith" was indeed "wrath"; the Bricktop's CoA is correct, indeed.

GP

AllanP
Cloud Giant

Post by AllanP » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:26 pm

Damon -
Those crests are beuatiful! :D
GP and yourself make a great team at this.

Please could I ask that you consider taking a look at the Stronghold and Church District coats of arms, next? Seeing them might inspire me to do more work on mapping those wards (or at least figuring out more of the detail about them that we could use in our Specularum City Book

Thanks for doing this.
regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

Brendan Corliss
Gnoll

Post by Brendan Corliss » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:56 pm

AllanP wrote: Please could I ask that you consider taking a look at the Stronghold and Church District coats of arms, next? Seeing them might inspire me to do more work on mapping those wards (or at least figuring out more of the detail about them that we could use in our Specularum City Book
Of course, you would request those next - they're the ones that I'm most perpelxed by. :lol:
OK, well, let's get some clarification from GP and maybe we can jump-start my small brain. As I alluded to earlier, I'm not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed... wait - what? :?

OK, GP, here goes:
agathokles wrote: Stronghold
Device: Per fess Gules a dexter arm holding a sceptre Or in pale; Sable a Centaur proper.
The Centaur in the Stronghold arms represents Zirchev's protection. Originally the Stronghold arms were simply Sable a Centaur proper. The arm holding the sceptre was added after Petros Radu move the center of political power from the Hill to the Stronghold district by deposing Duke Alexandr Marilenev.
Does "in Pale" on the arm holding the sceptre mean it should be straight up and not bent? Also, I'm gonna have to wing-it on getting the sceptre in the hand... wish me luck.
agathokles wrote: Church District
Device: Azure a moon Argent between two eagle's claws Or winged Sable affrontee.
Originally displayed Azure a sun Or, which was changed to a moon Argent after the Thyatian conquest. The eagle claws were added after the Hall of the Griffon was built, by permission of the Order.
This is where I'm getting really confused. OK, so the eagle's claws have wings attached directly to them?

Let me know and I'll see what I can do.
-Damon
aka Brendan Corliss
Corliss Enterprises, Ltd
Darokin City

Brendan Corliss
Gnoll

Post by Brendan Corliss » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:34 am

Is this at least close to what you had in mind for the device portion?

-Damon
aka Brendan Corliss
Corliss Enterprises, Ltd
Darokin City

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:28 am

Brendan Corliss wrote:
Is this at least close to what you had in mind for the device portion?

Yes, except that the arm is sinister in this case. If you mirrored the clipart and rotated it so that the scepter was vertical, it would be perfect.

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:31 am

Brendan Corliss wrote: This is where I'm getting really confused. OK, so the eagle's claws have wings attached directly to them?

Let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Yes, here is an example:

In our case we have two claws facing the moon.

GP

Brendan Corliss
Gnoll

Post by Brendan Corliss » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:29 am

agathokles wrote: Yes, except that the arm is sinister in this case. If you mirrored the clipart and rotated it so that the scepter was vertical, it would be perfect.
GP
Of course it should be flipped around - you'd think I'd know my right from left by now. :oops:

Does this look better?
-Damon
aka Brendan Corliss
Corliss Enterprises, Ltd
Darokin City

Brendan Corliss
Gnoll

Post by Brendan Corliss » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:20 am

agathokles wrote: Yes, here is an example:

In our case we have two claws facing the moon.

GP
Aha! That helps tremendously!

I take it this is what you had in mind, then?
Let me know if the relative scale of wings:moon needs to change.

------

Also, here's another variation in case this is what you meant by "moon".

Anyway, let me know and then I'll get started on the full crest.
-Damon
aka Brendan Corliss
Corliss Enterprises, Ltd
Darokin City

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:35 pm

Brendan Corliss wrote: Does this look better?
Perfect! For the Church District: moon is like the one you have in the Brendan Corliss CoA. I'd also make the three charges of equal size (larger moon and smaller eagle claws).

GP

Brendan Corliss
Gnoll

Post by Brendan Corliss » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:35 am

Hopefully, these match what you had in mind...
agathokles wrote: Church District
-Damon
aka Brendan Corliss
Corliss Enterprises, Ltd
Darokin City

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:35 am

Brendan Corliss wrote:Hopefully, these match what you had in mind...
Indeed, these match perfectly! :)

GP

Brendan Corliss
Gnoll

Post by Brendan Corliss » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:43 am

agathokles wrote: Old Quarter
Originally, the Old Quarter had "Or a bend Sable", but was demoted to two bendlets after the Thyatian conquest. One bendlet was then added by Duke Stefan after pacifying the area in 970 AC. The doves were added after St. Kruskiev's monastery was build (which may be before or after the other events).
I tried two versions; let me know if either one works:

Version #1

Version #2

agathokles wrote: North End
Originally, the North End arms were blazoned "Gules two chevronels Argent". After the construction of the Naval Arsenal, three anchors were added. The change of the field to Azure came after the Marilenev rebellion, when the North End (prevalently Thyatian) population sided with Duke Stefan (contrary to the other wards).

Yes?
-Damon
aka Brendan Corliss
Corliss Enterprises, Ltd
Darokin City

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:38 pm

Brendan Corliss wrote:
I tried two versions; let me know if either one works:
If you could find a dove more like this one it would be better. Otherwise, I'd go for the second version -- in the first, the dove is a bit too predatory :P
agathokles wrote: North End
Yes?
That's exactly what I had in mind :)

GP

Brendan Corliss
Gnoll

Post by Brendan Corliss » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:28 am

If you could find a dove more like this one it would be better. Otherwise, I'd go for the second version -- in the first, the dove is a bit too predatory :P
Ask and ye shall receive. :) I could also color the doves Proper and include the Olive Branch if you'd prefer.

Although, I can't help but think that the heater and basic chargers were somehow inspired by your favorite football club. I don't know what it is, but something about it screams Adidas football jersey. :lol:
-Damon
aka Brendan Corliss
Corliss Enterprises, Ltd
Darokin City

Brendan Corliss
Gnoll

Post by Brendan Corliss » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:55 am

agathokles wrote: I'm quite uncertain on the status of The Nest, due to the lack of government control in the area (would it provide a militia regiment or have a local administration?).

The Nest
Device: Vert semé of martlets Sable.
Motto:
Patron:
Colours: Green and black
This was the one I'm most unsure about - how to blazon the basic scheme as well as how to present the full crest. I tend to agree with your doubts concerning the "status" of The Nest... and not just 'cuz I'm having trouble with the artwork. ;)

Nevertheless, here's an attempt:

-Damon
aka Brendan Corliss
Corliss Enterprises, Ltd
Darokin City

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:12 am

Brendan Corliss wrote: This was the one I'm most unsure about - how to blazon the basic scheme as well as how to present the full crest. I tend to agree with your doubts concerning the "status" of The Nest... and not just 'cuz I'm having trouble with the artwork. ;)

Nevertheless, here's an attempt:
The basic scheme is good. I'd make the martlets smaller and more numerous, as in the example below, to avoid confusion with "vert, eleven martlets sable" or the like.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:47 am

Brendan Corliss wrote: Ask and ye shall receive. :) I could also color the doves Proper and include the Olive Branch if you'd prefer.
I think it's ok like this. Thanks! :)
Although, I can't help but think that the heater and basic chargers were somehow inspired by your favorite football club. I don't know what it is, but something about it screams Adidas football jersey. :lol:
Uhm, no, my favorite football team wears red with gold trim, and has a wolf symbol :)
I've been using wards from Siena (of the palio fame) as inspiration, though.

G.

Brendan Corliss
Gnoll

Post by Brendan Corliss » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:55 am

agathokles wrote: The basic scheme is good. I'd make the martlets smaller and more numerous, as in the example below, to avoid confusion with "vert, eleven martlets sable" or the like.
I figured as much. Semy patterns can be difficult for me to recreate if there's not already a complete version lurking in my collection. My Illustrator skills aren't exactly stellar, so I can't really make partial charges at the shield's borders. With that in mind, this is probably the closest I can come:

-Damon
aka Brendan Corliss
Corliss Enterprises, Ltd
Darokin City

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:19 am

Brendan Corliss wrote:
agathokles wrote: I figured as much. Semy patterns can be difficult for me to recreate if there's not already a complete version lurking in my collection. My Illustrator skills aren't exactly stellar, so I can't really make partial charges at the shield's borders. With that in mind, this is probably the closest I can come:
It's a good rendition of semy. Partial charges at the borders are not that immediate with vector graphics, since you'd have to use a difference operator of some kind.

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:30 pm

If you've still got time to do more CoAs, here are the devices of a number of NPCs I've designed (or back-ported from K:KoA and HtH) for the Specularum book in this post :)

Barris Strolojca
Gules three swords.
(Gules three swords is the family CoA. He is the second son of a court lord, who in turn is the younger brother of the head of the house, a landed lord, I need to have a look at Chimpman's treatment of cadence marks; Barris is also a priest, so I assume he would use an oval shield)

Aloysius Vandevic
Per saltire Gules and Or, a mullet of seven Or in chief, a crescent Or in the second quarter.
(younger brother of Gustav Vandevic, he is a court lord and a Duke's Guard lieutenant)

Ioan Azuros
Azure semy of bezants.
(not a titled family in Karameikos, but member of the mercantile aristocracy of pre-conquest Marilenev)

Devon Hyraksos
Party wavy of 6, Azure and Argent, a label Or.
(first son of Admiral Hyraksos, also a court lord and an ensign in the navy)

Diomedes Draconius
Sable three dragons Or armed Argent.
(Thyatian lesser noble family, a general and knight)

Cyrus Salides/Cee Salt
Argent, two eyes Azure in chief, a lymphad of the same.
(a freeman's device)

Corbula Vespasian
Argent, a raven Sable, a chief Vert charged with three wasps Or.
(a high-ranking knight of the griffon)

Return to “Mystara”