Thorn's Chronicle: Netbook(s)?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII, Havard

Thorn's Chronicle: Netbook(s)?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:26 pm

I'm not much of a follower of Thorn's Chronicle but from what I've seen and read about it recently I'd be curious if there might be a chance of a netbook or two that covers everything.

I'd be more interested in jumping into Thorn's Chronicle if it were formatted and compiled proper.

Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Wed May 03, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: Thorn's Chronicle: Netbook(s)?

Postby RobJN » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:43 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:I'm not much of a follower of Thorn's Chronicle but from what I've seen and read about it recently I'd be curious if there might be a chance of a netbook or two that covers everything.

I'd be more interested in jumping into Thorn's Chronicle if it were formatted and compiled proper.

Thorn's Chronicle has grown into quite the beast since it's inception back in 2008. :oops: My main website has a "broad brush" overview of the changes I've made to the setting, and as I've worked through the "crunchy" bits, those have gone up in ever-increasing depth.

I've been trying for months to cook up some sort of "Primer" for the setting, but -- being neck-deep in it-- I'm having a bit of trouble seeing the forest for the trees, so to speak.

Where can I start to help you into the setting? What sorts of things are you interested in knowing that will reel you in get you started?

And, by all means, Gentle Readers, this is not aimed solely at TAD.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:14 pm

I quite like the setup of the 3E campaign setting books - something like the way the Eberron Campaign Setting is organized. So if you were going to do a netbook, then perhaps something organized like:

Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Character Races
Chapter 3: Character Classes
Chapter 4: Options/Feats/Magic
Chapter 5: Nations/Cultures
Chapter 6: Monsters

You might want to throw in a History section as well. Something that outlines the major historical differences between Thorn's Mystara and Canon Mystara. Is that the kind of feedback you're looking for or am I off track. Most of what you've written is "story" rather than "crunch" - although there is definitely crunchy material that goes along with the story.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:23 pm

Chimpman wrote:I quite like the setup of the 3E campaign setting books - something like the way the Eberron Campaign Setting is organized. So if you were going to do a netbook, then perhaps something organized like:

Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Character Races
Chapter 3: Character Classes
Chapter 4: Options/Feats/Magic
Chapter 5: Nations/Cultures
Chapter 6: Monsters

You might want to throw in a History section as well. Something that outlines the major historical differences between Thorn's Mystara and Canon Mystara. Is that the kind of feedback you're looking for or am I off track. Most of what you've written is "story" rather than "crunch" - although there is definitely crunchy material that goes along with the story.

This actually wouldn't be a bad start. I'd certainly have to come up with more 'crunch,' that's for sure. Right now, I've got a mishmash of BECMI/RC D&D, 3.x and Alternity going in my head, using whichever system as the right "feel" to work through how the mechanics might play out at the gaming table.

As much fluffy story is there, I've got just as much Gazetteer-like background fluff and crunch floating around in my head. :oops:
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:18 pm

RobJN wrote:Thorn's Chronicle has grown into quite the beast since it's inception back in 2008. :oops: My main website has a "broad brush" overview of the changes I've made to the setting, and as I've worked through the "crunchy" bits, those have gone up in ever-increasing depth.
Can I get a link to your site?

RobJN wrote:Where can I start to help you into the setting? What sorts of things are you interested in knowing that will reel you in get you started?
You've mentioned on Facebook and here that a certain person (a Mystara developer) would weep at the changes you've made to Mystara. As an avid fan of alternate histories, this is what intrigues me most.
Angel R. Tarragon (aka A.R.T.)
Blog / DeviantArt / Facebook / Google+ / Letterboxd / Twitter / YouTube / See More
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:38 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
RobJN wrote:Thorn's Chronicle has grown into quite the beast since it's inception back in 2008. :oops: My main website has a "broad brush" overview of the changes I've made to the setting, and as I've worked through the "crunchy" bits, those have gone up in ever-increasing depth.
Can I get a link to your site?
RobJN wrote:Where can I start to help you into the setting? What sorts of things are you interested in knowing that will reel you in get you started?
You've mentioned on Facebook and here that a certain person (a Mystara developer) would weep at the changes you've made to Mystara. As an avid fan of alternate histories, this is what intrigues me most.

http://web.me.com/robjn/Site/Welcome.html
Edit: Old .mac site is d-e-a-d. Now most of it is on the blog: http://thornschronicle.blogspot.com

I'm hoping actual tears wouldn't be the case ;) But then, I haven't gotten around to taking the scalpel to Glantri yet...

A lot of what's written at my website assumes the reader already has a pretty good grasp on existing Gazetteer information. It also assumes some familiarity with Jordan's Wheel of Time series (and the d20 version of the game) and Keith Baker's Eberron Campaign Setting.
Last edited by RobJN on Fri May 05, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:45 am

Liking what I'm reading so far.
Blog / DeviantArt / Facebook / Google+ / Letterboxd / Twitter / YouTube / See More
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:00 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Liking what I'm reading so far.

:D Glad you like it. It's fun work (can I use those two words next to each other?) blending my own "feel" into the Known World...
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:21 am

So, the Chapters are looking a bit like this:

Races of Thorn's Mystara: Humans, Demi Humans (Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Docrae); Humanoids (Lupins, Rakasta, Shifters, Sidhe-folk);
Classes of Thorn's Mystara: Artificers; Fighters, Paladins, Knights and Avengers; Clerics and Druids; Thieves, Bards and Rakes; Weavers and Magic Users
General and Specialized Skills: General Skills, Specialty Skills by Class, Weapon Mastery
Magic of Thorn's Mystara: Artifice; Weaving and the Spheres; Risks of Using Magic; Spells, Weaves and Infusions; Weapons of Power: Spheric or Demon-bound
History, Cultures and Nations: Gazetteer rundown, alterations from the "baseline" Known World
Bestiary
Dungeon Mastering Thorn's Mystara: Secrets of the Demi Humans; The Transient Planes; Lesser Dragonstone Magics and interactions with the Spheres
The World that Was: Blackmoor: The Three Afridhi Wars; The Beastman Crusades; The Daughters and the Dragonstone Pacts: Andahar's Legacy

Have I missed anything?
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Chimpman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:06 am

Artwork ... ;)

Looks nice Rob. I can't wait to see it!
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.
Chimpman
Hadozee

Postby RobJN » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Chimpman wrote:Artwork ... ;)

Looks nice Rob. I can't wait to see it!

[Minsc]Stick figures for everyone![/Minsc]
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Do pictures count as fluff? Or crunch? New album up on the Facebook page
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:52 am

RobJN wrote:Do pictures count as fluff? Or crunch? New album up on the Facebook page

Sweet!. :cool:

I'd say they count as art! ;)
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:09 am

RobJN wrote:Do pictures count as fluff? Or crunch? New album up on the Facebook page

Sweet!. :cool:

I'd say they count as art! ;)

I do loves me some anime. And Photochop.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:41 am

This is up as a Note on the Thorn's Chronicle Facebook page (link in the sig), but thought I'd "simulcast" it here, as well:

Thorn's Chronicle Netbook Classes Chapter wrote:Druids in Thorn’s Mystara do not necessarily follow the classic D&D trope of champions of nature, but take on different roles according to their native culture.

In Karameikos, the Druids are caretakers of the Old World, keeping the traditions of the Traladara alive amidst the integration with Thyatian settlers. To some degree, this involves seclusion within the older forests of the Grand Duchy, thus there can be some confusion among visitors to the country as to the druids’ purpose.

Since the Traladaran clans and city-states were so numerous and spread out, the druids became the intermediaries when disputes arose between two factions. They traveled the lands, sitting with clan chiefs and kings of city-states, learning the various laws and ways of the people, and then moved on. Over time, it became customary for druids to oversee trials. This grew to them becoming not only jury, but also judge, when it turned out that they knew more of the finer aspects of the tribal laws than some of the tribal elders.

But druids did more than settle disputes: they observed, they noted, and eventually began to compile stories, legends, and histories from the many different tribes. Because paper was scarce, the druidic orders set their histories and legends to song and canto, and passed them down to succeeding generations of druids.
Druids of Thorn’s Mystara start from 1st level, advancing as Clerics, with the same spell progression, and follow the the provisions for spells, armor, and weapons as outlined in the Druid class (Companion Player’s Manual and Rules Cyclopedia). Their avoidance of metal armor and weaponry, as well as living apart from cities is from their keeping to the Old Ways of the Traladarans. Beholden to none of the kings or clan-chiefs for arms, armor, or shelter, they avoiding any appearance of having taken favor from one ruler over another.

Druids start with either Singing or Storytelling General skill (for free). Most also begin play with some sort of instrument, generally a wooden flute or set of panpipes. Druids gain a +2 bonus to any local knowledge or history checks. Journeyman druids must return to the nearest Circle every three or four levels to transcribe their skeins, sharing their knowledge with the others in the group.

On reaching 5th level, a druid may choose to join one of the various sects: Ashbound, Children of Winter, Gatekeepers, Greensingers, or Wardens of the Wood. This is not mandatory, and usually only one in every 100 druids actually join one of these sects. While many may regard the Ashbound and Children of Winter as ‘evil,’ they only represent the downturning of the cycle of nature. The Ashbound, particularly, fill an important role in ferreting out rogue wizards and those who woudl traffic with demonkind in order to gain power (similar to the Red Robes from Alphatia’s Tower of Lights)

At 9th level, a druid may opt to settle and form his own Circle in a secluded wooded area. This will attract a certain number of journeyman druids, which the druid is then obligated to teach and guide, passing down his accumulated knowledge of history, songs, and legends.

Those druids that do not settle continue as Elder Journeymen, continuing their work as chroniclers, arbiters, and guides until such time as they seek to settle down, as described above.

In Karameikos, Greensingers and Wardens are the two most popular sects to which the majority of druids aspire. As Greensingers, they gain an ally among the fey, with whom they work to purge the demonic taint, either from a given area or in whichever areas their wanderings may take them. The DM is encouraged to develop a retainer for the druid from the “Tall Tales of the Wee Folk” Creature Crucible (if that resource is available). Otherwise, the druid may choose a ‘stock’ companion (or the companion may choose the druid!) from the list below:
  • Brownie
  • Dryad (the dryad will only wander if she has not taken a soul tree; the druid must settle the area where the dryad companion takes her soul tree if he wishes to keep said companion)
  • Faun
  • Hsiao
  • Leprechaun
  • Pixie/Nixie
  • Pooka
  • Sprite
  • Wood Imp
  • Drake (may be impersonating another of the fey/humanoid races)
  • Sidhe (there is only a 1 percent chance to take a sidhe companion, unless the DM rules otherwise)

The druid must spend the nights of every new moon cleansing his companion of accumulated demonic taint, lest they succumb to the madness and decay that plagues the elves. This involves a ceremony that costs 200 gp per level of the druid (or druid’s companion, if the DM is using the PC1 rules); as they grow in power, the corruption grows more difficult to siphon off. The precise details of the ceremony are up to the player and DM to decide.

Druids joining the Wardens sect act as protectors of a wooded area, using their magic to drive out those who would disturb the natural balance of the lands they have claimed. They form close bonds with the lands they maintain, gaining a +2 to AC when fighting in woodlands (or their chosen terrain).

It is worth noting that the tradition of Greensinging and Warding both hail back to the days of Old Blackmoor. The Elves of the Redwood were said to have been among the first to teach Men the ways of woodcraft and natural lore. Given their love of the wilds and natural rapport with the fey, the famous Wizards of the Wood like Pete and Sildonis (and in later times, Zirchev) may have, in fact, been Greensingers, rather than true wizards.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:26 pm

From Chapter 2: Races of Thorn's Mystara:

Thorn's Mystara Netbook wrote:The Fey-kin (for those wishing to use PC1: Tall Tales of the Wee Folk)
Most of the “lesser” magical races of Thorn’s Mystara have gone into seclusion, living in the deepest of woods and valleys and mountains away from Men. As with the elves, magic is in the blood of the fey-kin, but more highly concentrated. The demons’ backlash upon their banishment has wreaked havoc on most of the fey, driving those of good intent into hiding, lest they turn the corruption on innocents. Those of a more selfish and malicious bent, on the other hand, have found more blessing than curse from the tainting of Mystara’s magic.

Still, not all fey-kin encountered will be under the sway of demons, but actively fighting the corruptive influences. Elves, druids and dwarves and halflings, working in concert, have found a number of ways to delay the inevitable decay that Mystara’s magic brings with it. The taint can be slowed, stopped, and in some cases reversed under the boughs of a Tree of Life, or in the shadowlight of the Blackflame.

Those fey unable to shelter near an elven or hin relic— or those unwilling to remain in one place for too long — can make limited use of the dwarf-crafted Soul Gems. The gems absorb the corruption brought on by using magic at twice the rate of elves (spell level x 2). Because of the fey-kin's highly magical nature, the stone accumulates one additional “level’s worth” of magic per week. However, this incremental corruption can be pushed back, restoring 1d4 “levels” to the stone with the aid of a ceremony with a druid of the Greensinger sect, during the new moon. A druid must be present; the fey-born cannot complete the ritual alone. (See the notes in the “Druid” class entry in the next chapter for further details)
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:32 am

RobJN wrote:From Chapter 2: Races of Thorn's Mystara:
Thorn's Mystara Netbook wrote:Those fey unable to shelter near an elven or hin relic— or those unwilling to remain in one place for too long — can make limited use of the dwarf-crafted Soul Gems. The gems absorb the corruption brought on by using magic at twice the rate of elves (spell level x 2). Because of the fey-kin's highly magical nature, the stone accumulates one additional “level’s worth” of magic per week. However, this incremental corruption can be pushed back, restoring 1d4 “levels” to the stone with the aid of a ceremony with a druid of the Greensinger sect, during the new moon. A druid must be present; the fey-born cannot complete the ritual alone. (See the notes in the “Druid” class entry in the next chapter for further details)

:o Oh, wow. Incredible. :cool:

Can't wait for more info on the druids.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:42 am

RobJN wrote:From Chapter 2: Races of Thorn's Mystara:
Thorn's Mystara Netbook wrote:Those fey unable to shelter near an elven or hin relic— or those unwilling to remain in one place for too long — can make limited use of the dwarf-crafted Soul Gems. The gems absorb the corruption brought on by using magic at twice the rate of elves (spell level x 2). Because of the fey-kin's highly magical nature, the stone accumulates one additional “level’s worth” of magic per week. However, this incremental corruption can be pushed back, restoring 1d4 “levels” to the stone with the aid of a ceremony with a druid of the Greensinger sect, during the new moon. A druid must be present; the fey-born cannot complete the ritual alone. (See the notes in the “Druid” class entry in the next chapter for further details)

:o Oh, wow. Incredible. :cool:

Can't wait for more info on the druids.

That reference was to this part:
Further up the thread wrote:In Karameikos, Greensingers and Wardens are the two most popular sects to which the majority of druids aspire. As Greensingers, they gain an ally among the fey, with whom they work to purge the demonic taint, either from a given area or in whichever areas their wanderings may take them. The DM is encouraged to develop a retainer for the druid from the “Tall Tales of the Wee Folk” Creature Crucible (if that resource is available). Otherwise, the druid may choose a ‘stock’ companion (or the companion may choose the druid!) from the list below:

I had the entry for "Creature Crucible" and skipped it as I was laying down the rough ideas, thinking "oh, crud, I'll never come up with anything that would allow these magical creatures to run around without withering away to dust or going insane and killing the rest of the party..." and then, I came up with the Greensinger druid (links with the fey) and a little lightbulb went on ;) :idea: Viola! Somewhat believable playability as either an NPC retainer or as a PC! :mrgreen:
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:16 am

RobJN wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Can't wait for more info on the druids.
That reference was to this part:
Further up the thread wrote:In Karameikos, Greensingers and Wardens are the two most popular sects to which the majority of druids aspire. As Greensingers, they gain an ally among the fey, with whom they work to purge the demonic taint, either from a given area or in whichever areas their wanderings may take them. The DM is encouraged to develop a retainer for the druid from the “Tall Tales of the Wee Folk” Creature Crucible (if that resource is available). Otherwise, the druid may choose a ‘stock’ companion (or the companion may choose the druid!) from the list below:
I don't know how I missed that but, Holy Cow! I can see a parallel evolution between the Druidic Greensingers of Thorn's Chronicle and the Druids of Sarûnia.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:29 am

Can't take credit for most of the Greensinger gist, since it was lifted from Eberron... But having not read much more about them, I'd like to think their partnership with a fey-kin (either an individual or the local clan as a whole) is something of my own idea, flavored by the cryptic references of Arneson's Wizard of the Woods from Blackmoor, which I have drawn from in the past already...
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby RobJN » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:46 pm

Another excerpt up on the Facebook page: Magic Users, from Chapter 2: Classes of Thorn's Mystara
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:23 pm

How is progress on a compilation these days?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:05 pm

I've made bits and pieces of progress. Haven't really added much that's "new" -- I've been plugging in and re-editing some of the material that used to be on the old website.

If I were to give it a percent=age, I'd say I'm still at about 45 percent:

Races: Still need to Mentzer-ize shifters and the warforged.
Classes: Chipping away at the Artificer's infusions list to tailor it a bit more towards the BECMI spell lists; still need to work on the Darine thief-like subclass and the individual clan "flavors." I also need to finish off the weave lists for the two weaver classes.
Skills need a bit of work.
Magic needs a LOT of work. I need to reengineer the weaves, infusions, and finish writing up the remaining 'species' of dragonstone: (dracosilicus ambyrix); Zirchev's various tokens (Mystara's version of dragonmarks) also need to be fully fleshed out.
I haven't even even begun to tinker with the fourteen Gazetteers worth of history. I have some scribbles about Glantri and Sind, and of course, Alfheim.
Secrets of Thorn's Mystara still needs fleshing out: the demihuman crafts and Keepers; greater and lesser dragonstone magic;
Thorn's World that Was is getting a major shot in the arm due to the play-by-post going over at the Comeback Inn. Still, there are three Afridhi wars, two beastman crusades, the Twilight Accords to write, the Treaty of Gandhar, the Dragonstone pact, Blackmoor University's projects Valkryie, SONATA, and ARIA.

Oh yes, and the Adventure Path, as well....... :o
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:17 am

So 1 day and 1 week early from five months of excruciating silence, but how are things progressing?

Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Wed May 03, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:22 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:So 1 day and 1 week early from five months of excruciating silence, but how are things progressing?

Actually, quite well. :D

A lot of "background" material is being shaken out from the "My Mystara" writeup for the inaugural issue of Threshold. So, material that is snipped from that article is making for seeds for further work on the Netbook.

Also, work on the PbP over at the Comeback Inn is fleshing things out from the "historical" end of things.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Next

Return to Mystara