Thorn's Chronicle: Netbook(s)?

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Seer of Yhog, Cthulhudrew, Gawain_VIII

Re: Thorn's Chronicle: Netbook(s)?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:22 am

Giving this another bump to see how much more progress has been made.

Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Wed May 03, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:42 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:Giving this another bump to see how much more progress has been made.

Mostly been tinkering with things to tweak them for the latest edition: some stuff on the demonic taint suffusing Mystara's natural magical sources (Madness/Sanity rules), crossing over some of the dragonstone powers into 5e terms (finding equivalent spells/effects/mechanics-- thank you Princes of the Apocalypse Player's Guide)

I have some notes (some of them actually on paper!) for some weaver-specific backgrounds dividing up the various orders within the Tower of Seven Lights.

I'm also sketching out diagrams of Kor-Karrest, where Thorn & company will be... guests... of the Karrnath.

I've got quite a bit of work to do on the fey-dominated giant nation of Grondheim: timelines, the rise of the Troll Queen, her siege and conquest of Krystallac
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:33 pm

RobJN wrote:Mostly been tinkering with things to tweak them for the latest edition: some stuff on the demonic taint suffusing Mystara's natural magical sources (Madness/Sanity rules), crossing over some of the dragonstone powers into 5e terms (finding equivalent spells/effects/mechanics-- thank you Princes of the Apocalypse Player's Guide)
Does this mean that Thorn's Chronicle is slowly being re-mech'd to fully be 5E compliant?

RobJN wrote:I have some notes (some of them actually on paper!) for some weaver-specific backgrounds dividing up the various orders within the Tower of Seven Lights.
Very neat, I actually just started to re-read my WoT Core Rulebook.

RobJN wrote:I've got quite a bit of work to do on the fey-dominated giant nation of Grondheim: timelines, the rise of the Troll Queen, her siege and conquest of Krystallac
Ooh. Can't wait to see what fruit this bears.
Angel R. Tarragon (aka A.R.T.)
Blog / DeviantArt / Facebook / Letterboxd / Twitter / YouTube / See More
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:36 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
RobJN wrote:Mostly been tinkering with things to tweak them for the latest edition: some stuff on the demonic taint suffusing Mystara's natural magical sources (Madness/Sanity rules), crossing over some of the dragonstone powers into 5e terms (finding equivalent spells/effects/mechanics-- thank you Princes of the Apocalypse Player's Guide)
Does this mean that Thorn's Chronicle is slowly being re-mech'd to fully be 5E compliant?

Still waiting to see what WotC does with the OGL-ifying this edition before I go all-out in crossing things over. I'm already building with two systems in mind. 5e sits in a nice middle ground between the rules-lite of BECMI and the bit-too-topheavy-on-the-number-crunching of 3.x.* 5e's modularity is a bit more suitable to the type of game I'd want to run/design for. Plus its fun cooking up new mock cover/trade dress to suit the various incarnations. (Still not 100 percent sure about the 5e looks I've been tinkering with....)

I grew up playing BECMI, it's what I know, and I like love the Alternity system, and have a pretty good feel for how far it'll stretch. The wife is learning to RPG now, and she chose 5e, so that's what I've been writing for lately, as a way of learning the system along with her. I'm using my existing development work with Thorn's Chronicle as a bit of a yard stick, to gauge the new edition vs. the old. Thus far, I really like what I've seen of the 5th edition, but there are still many many pieces to pick up and play with before I'm 100 percent comfortable running it. Crunchy bits seem to get more views on the blog, so that's what I try to give my readers. (Not that they ever leave comments, so I'm really just groping in the dark...)

* this isn't to say that 3.x/Pathfinder (or (m)any other edition or system) is a bad wrong system. I just don't know it/them well enough to tinker and "code" it the way I'd like without the wheels falling off. If somebody else wants to collaborate on converting material over... that's fine with me :D
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:42 pm

RobJN wrote:Still waiting to see what WotC does with the OGL-ifying this edition before I go all-out in crossing things over. I'm already building with two systems in mind.
We've been told that Q1 2015 we'd hear something. Nothing on Free RPG day. They better drop the bomb [on us] during GenCon. If they don't there likely will not be a license for 5E. I'd like to know myself; if there is no GL for 5E I may sub-divide Sarûnia into the system I am currently tinkering with that is part Cypher System, part 5E and part Pathfinder.

RobJN wrote:5e's modularity is a bit more suitable to the type of game I'd want to run/design for.
This is exactly the reason why I really think the market needs a 5E GL.

RobJN wrote:this isn't to say that 3.x/Pathfinder (or (m)any other edition or system) is a bad wrong system. I just don't know it/them well enough to tinker and "code" it the way I'd like without the wheels falling off. If somebody else wants to collaborate on converting material over... that's fine with me :D
Drop me a PM with what you want converted and I will do my best to help you out.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
RobJN wrote:Still waiting to see what WotC does with the OGL-ifying this edition before I go all-out in crossing things over. I'm already building with two systems in mind.
We've been told that Q1 2015 we'd hear something. Nothing on Free RPG day. They better drop the bomb [on us] during GenCon. If they don't there likely will not be a license for 5E. I'd like to know myself; if there is no GL for 5E I may sub-divide Sarûnia into the system I am currently tinkering with that is part Cypher System, part 5E and part Pathfinder.

From what I've seen at ENWorld, the guy who was doing the GL thing has been snarled up in jury duty. Must be (have been?) a heck of a case, but sometimes they do drag on and on....

RobJN wrote:this isn't to say that 3.x/Pathfinder (or (m)any other edition or system) is a bad wrong system. I just don't know it/them well enough to tinker and "code" it the way I'd like without the wheels falling off. If somebody else wants to collaborate on converting material over... that's fine with me :D
Drop me a PM with what you want converted and I will do my best to help you out.[/quote]
If anything should tickle your fancy, go on ahead and cross it over. I need to do quite a bit of finishing and then revising before I'm ready to target anything specific for re-engineering ;)

I've tried converting the twins to 3.5. Still not sure I got them precisely how I want them. :? Now if Rafe would just run that game I was going to play 'em in.... :mrgreen:
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:34 am

Rob, I sent you a PM regarding something about The Chronicle that I think is important.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue May 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Close to two years of inactive thread...how is the compilation looking?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Tue May 02, 2017 8:31 pm

Has it been that long...? :shock: Time flies, and all that.

Work and home life have (hopefully temporarily) put the breaks on much of my writing, lately. I've added a few sections on Sarimaar, but haven't had the time or energy to get much done with it (as evidenced by a severe lack of Thorn-age in Threshold #15). The handmaidens have gotten a bit of time in the sun, and the Troll Queen lurks in their very near future (is it still the future, if it's really the past...?)
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue May 02, 2017 8:32 pm

Is the thing available for download yet?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Tue May 02, 2017 8:37 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:Is the thing available for download yet?

I think it's in more pieces than the pre-alpha-alpha version you got :oops: Still very much a work in progress, though much of that is up on the blog.
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue May 02, 2017 8:43 pm

;(

My file of the one you sent me was on my old hard drive, which had to be replaced after a system failure. I sure hope you can get a file put together for fan consumption. I'm working on a new setting and would love to be able to peruse your work offline.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby RobJN » Tue May 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:;(

My file of the one you sent me was on my old hard drive, which had to be replaced after a system failure. I sure hope you can get a file put together for fan consumption. I'm working on a new setting and would love to be able to peruse your work offline.

I've got a couple days off coming up later in the week. If I can't dig up a copy of the previous version, I'll do another recompile. Is there anything in particular you're looking to sink your teeth into? Or are to looking for broad brush, big picture/overall concept?
Rob
RobJN
Dire Flumph

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue May 02, 2017 8:59 pm

Pretty much everything. :P

I have no idea what is going to strike my fancy, but I do love a lot of your ideas and I really don't know what I have any specific interest in currently...with one exception...Patera. I'd like to take a gander at what you have on it, if anything.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Previous

Return to Mystara