[Thorn's Chronicle crunch]: The Long Path ahead

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

RobJN
Dire Flumph

[Thorn's Chronicle crunch]: The Long Path ahead

Post by RobJN » Thu May 10, 2012 2:45 pm

Been doing some musings on possible routes the Thorn's Chronicle Adventure Path could take. Thought I'd share, and see what ya'll think.

The adventure path is my way of exploring the craft and art of adventure making. The first step along the Path, “The Baron’s Favor” was largely a training-wheel exercise in taking what had come before (Mistamere of the Basic Set, “Kill Bargle” from Dungeon Magazine #150), and putting the Thorn’s Chronicle spin on it. The Baron’s Favor is largely site-based, with a dozen or so goals to be achieved.

TC2 “The Stone and the Maidens” pits the PCs against the villain and his plan, both of which they must discover before an entire township is turned to stone.

TC3 (as yet untitled) "The Hag's Tear" takes on the site-based adventure again, but this time writ large. Part wilderness, part dungeon crawl, the heroes race time to find the third eye of Traldar. Once they gain the third Eye of Traldar, they must return to Threshold to undo the damage wrought by the Stone Maiden’s curse, while pursued by the guardians of the Third Eye.

TC4, tentatively titled "War of the White Lady" puts Threshold under siege, cut off from the rest of the Grand Duchy by a shimmering magical veil of blue-white fire. Who is the mysterious White Lady, and why does she insist that the Baron give up the original ten maidens?
Last edited by RobJN on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: [Thorn's Chronicle crunch]: The Long Path ahead

Post by RobJN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:24 pm

So, it looks like the path may be even longer than I expected.

I'm supposed to be finishing up my article for Threshold's inaugural issue. Instead, I find myself making notes for yet another writing project....

Proposed sourcebook/adventure combos, maybe?

So far, all that has popped into my head are titles. We'll see how long those stay quiet..... :roll:

Silva’s Promise
(First in the Keys to the Twilight’s Dawn Adventure Path)

Thorn’s Dilema
(Second in the Keys to the Twilight’s Dawn Adventure Path)

Kingsman’s Gambit
(Third in the Keys to the Twilight’s Dawn Adventure Path)

The Fallen Throne
(Fourth in the Keys to the Twilight’s Dawn Adventure Path)

Tomb of the Troll Queen
(Fifth in the Keys to the Twilight’s Dawn Adventure Path)

Once, Always, and Everafter
(Conclusion of the Keys to the Twilight’s Dawn Adventure Path)
Rob
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:02 pm

:cool: The titles themselves are very evocative - especially for someone playing in the Throne of Stars campaign ;).
I'm also noticing a possible new adventure path name (Keys to the Twilight’s Dawn). How does this path differ from Thorn's Chronicles? Will you be "running" Thorn and crew through these adventures, or do you have a new cast and crew lined up?

Also... when can I expect your initial drafts for each of these titles? :twisted: Is there some way we can chain you to a desk and set a keyboard in front of you?
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:36 pm

Chimpman wrote::cool: The titles themselves are very evocative - especially for someone playing in the Throne of Stars campaign ;).
I'm also noticing a possible new adventure path name (Keys to the Twilight’s Dawn). How does this path differ from Thorn's Chronicles? Will you be "running" Thorn and crew through these adventures, or do you have a new cast and crew lined up?

Also... when can I expect your initial drafts for each of these titles? :twisted: Is there some way we can chain you to a desk and set a keyboard in front of you?
Maybe I should start a Kickstarter to pay for a few years' off work to write non-stop ;)

Usually the titles come to me last, and yes, they are meant to be evocative --- mainly so I don't forget the initial idea "snapshots."

Keys would be another full path, set some years after the events of the Thorn's Chronicle Adventure Path. Timeline-wise, we're looking at about 6 to 10 years from the current "now" of the Chronicle... about the time the Handmaidens would be getting married. :twisted:
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:05 am

Hmm.... Interesting bit of lore from Greyhawk's Blackmoor:
Dartamian wrote:Queen's Regailia of Blackmoor consists of a diadem, a pair of bracelets, and a choker. Only the choker is given a description
"It looks like a ruby-set choker of fine elven workmanship...and it magically compels the first character touching it to travel to distant Blackmoor. Once the hero reaches Blackmoor, he is drawn to the locations of the rest of the Regalia. A character with all four items instantly transforms into Maragaine, an ancient queen of Blackmoor..."
The only description of Maragaine was given in the first post. The powers of the Regalia are lift up to the DM.
Oh my. Oh, my oh my....
Thorn's Chronicle wrote:... Silva reached into her robe and produced a pale yellow-gold stone, mounted in silver, dangling from a delicate chain about her neck....
Her lower arm was adorned with a network of brightly glowing metal, an impossibly intricate pattern of weaves and sworls and braids, radiating from a brightly glowing reddish crystal set along the top of her wrist....
The Baron's Favor wrote:Atop the pile of rubble, jammed up against the northern section of wall and partially hidden in shadow is a worn leather sack. Though old, it has not been there long, based on the lack of dust or debris atop it.

Jasna was nearly through the gap when she had a change of heart and chose to go back to save the others in the dungeons below. She was interrupted by a kobold patrol, and is currently hiding in Room 12. Jasna’s Hoard:
The sack contains two bundles of oilcloth: one holds a jewel-encrusted sheath (moonstones, opals, and rubies, 175 gpv); the other holds a silver circlet, its lace-like pattern of impossibly intricate silver threads woven around three large moonstones set along the front (1,500 gpv) DMs wishing to introduce Blackmoorian artifacts as part of Bargle’s research may substitute a Val’kira circlet for the tiara in Jasna’s horde. Her dagger would likewise be substituted for a red- dragonstone-bejeweled Spellshear knife +1.
Silva gave each of the Handmaidens a golden necklace set with a gold-clasped red stone....

... and Jasna still has the Val'kira circlet stashed away, for a rainy day. Sure, she would give it back to Silva, if she asked for it.
Rob

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:33 am

RobJN wrote:Maybe I should start a Kickstarter to pay for a few years' off work to write non-stop ;)
:| Huh... that's not a bad idea. Not bad at all :mrgreen:
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:42 am

Just take a step of the time and allow yourself a chance to change everything between one step and the next, if you change mind...
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:32 pm

Yaztromo wrote:Just take a step of the time and allow yourself a chance to change everything between one step and the next, if you change mind...
That's about how It works, yeah.
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:00 pm

Havard's recent mention of TSR's aborted plans for 8 modules in the DA-series and a Blackmoor novel got me to thinking about those titles a bit higher up in the thread, the Keys to the Twilight's Dawn adventure path.

Rather than set them in the future of Thorn's Mystara, mayhap set them in the World That Was...? :evil:

Decisions, decisions....
Rob

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:05 am

Where are you with the second adventure module (the Stone and he Maidens)??? :D
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:21 pm

Yaztromo wrote:Where are you with the second adventure module (the Stone and he Maidens)??? :D
Is it March already?

Work continues on the crafting of the scenes. I'm torn on whether to include a chapter consisting of involving the PCs in checking locations throughout Threshold for outbreaks of the Stone Maiden's Curse, or leaving that to the Townguards, and having the PCs hoof it to Halaran's sage friend....
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue May 20, 2014 4:45 pm

RobJN wrote:Been doing some musings on possible routes the Thorn's Chronicle Adventure Path could take. Thought I'd share, and see what ya'll think.

TC4TC7, tentatively titled "War of the White Lady" puts Threshold under siege, cut off from the rest of the Grand Duchy by a shimmering magical veil of blue-white fire. Who is the mysterious White Lady, and why does she insist that the Baron give up the original ten maidens?
Looking at the level spread, I think I want the War of the White Lady to happen a bit later in the adventure path chronology, about levels 10 -14.

...so now I have to think up three more "steps,"low, medium, and higher Expert level adventures....

A lot of the X-series adventures were a bit sandboxy, and I'm not entirely sure how I'd go about that within the framework of the Path. Has anybody got any advice for the 5-10th levels of adventures -- I only have bits and pieces of the Dragon Magazine Age of Worms/Savage Tide adventure paths, but what sorts of adventures shortly-before-the-middle of the Path did they feature? I worry, for instance, that the interest of the players may not hold, and want to avoid boredom.

TC1 &2 are the "save the princess" tier adventures, so I'm looking at late "save the town," or maybe even early "save the Duchy"?

I'm looking for the War of the White Lady to be the tipping point to get the PCs "landed," with their own baronies and such.
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:17 pm

It's been a while since I updated things here. So, here's a little something. Playing with ideas for "trade dressing" :oops:

Rob

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:52 pm

especially the lower title; The world's greatest roleplaying game :lol: :D :) ;) :mrgreen:

the only thing I miss :? is Mystara the world's best RPG world :(

or at least that's how I think :twisted: :P :mrgreen:
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:55 pm

Robin wrote:especially the lower title; The world's greatest roleplaying game

the only thing I miss is Mystara the world's best RPG world

or at least that's how I think
Heh heh. The lower text mimics what WotC has used on the covers of its major products, all referencing "the world's greatest role playing game."

I was thinking of putting something to the effect of "An Adventure accessory for the world's greatest setting of the world's greatest role playing game." Definitely gonna have to work in Thorf's awesome Gazetteer-like Mystara logo into the works. :D
Rob

Robin
Storm Giant

Post by Robin » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:57 pm

RobJN wrote:
Robin wrote:especially the lower title; The world's greatest roleplaying game

the only thing I miss is Mystara the world's best RPG world

or at least that's how I think
Heh heh. The lower text mimics what WotC has used on the covers of its major products, all referencing "the world's greatest role playing game."

I was thinking of putting something to the effect of "An Adventure accessory for the world's greatest setting of the world's greatest role playing game." Definitely gonna have to work in Thorf's awesome Gazetteer-like Mystara logo into the works. :D

hihi
We'll see

nice picture btw ...;)
My Deviantart page; http://6inchnails.deviantart.com/ For Mystara hexmaps and Fantasy art (to see all fantasy art; enter and declare you are an adult...frigging exposure rules)
My personal Mystara Blog;http://breathofmystara.blogspot.nl/

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:44 pm

Been scribbling on the World That Was, and stumbled across a guy with some great stuff on Deviant Art, so I sort of whipped up a banner.... (too tired to re-size for the forum. Yes, I am that lazy)
Rob

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:57 pm

The red-haired, copper-skinned Cipri people had made similar discoveries into the nature of magic, their own customs passed down through the generations in an oral and performance-based tradition.

Mistakes in the weaving of threads of Earth and Fire had devastating effects on Cipri clans, as well as their hunting grounds and farmlands. Thus it was that the tradition of the collar-and-bracelet came to be: The weavers could not be certain that their powers would accidentally run amok, and so they surrendered themselves and their power to a guardian.

When the Alphatians made landfall on the Ciprian continent, they were appalled at what they saw as the lowest form of degradation a weaver could be made to endure.

Relations with the Ciprians quickly broke down, and when the magical gloves came off (so to speak) the Alphatians had found their match in magical might.

Generations of waging war against the lighter-skinned dark-haired invaders saw a decline in the teachings behind the Ciprian magical traditions, and the purpose of the bracelet-and-collar twisted, from a tool of self-imposed restraint to one of slavery and exploitation. Most likely this was at the hands (wrists?) of priests of Alphaks, the demon lord of volcanoes.(a perfect blend of earth and fire if ever there was one.) Unfortunately, even after the destruction of Old Alphatia and the Great Exile, the tradition continues.

"No, don't cry, little one," the High Lord said. He ran a gloved finger down the girl's cheek, tracing the tear's line, replacing it with a wider smudge of dirt. He hooked his finger under her chin, forcing her head -- her gaze -- up, to meet his. "No, don't cry," he repeated. He reached out with his other hand, and unlatched the heavy metal leash from the dragonhound's collar.

"Save your tears, my young lady. It would do your parents no good if you tripped and Scryghah were to catch you before you even reached the edge of the farm."

Seraphina only cried harder, when the High Lord wrenched her chin back towards his, tearing her eyes away from the slathering maw of the dragonhound.

"Don't cry," he whispered. "Run."
Rob

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Hi, is there an update on TC2? Did it come out and I missed it? (entirely possible)
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:44 pm

ghendar wrote:Hi, is there an update on TC2? Did it come out and I missed it? (entirely possible)
Development has been stalled while I've been dealing with pesky Real Life issues over the course of this past year and a half or so, and the back burner is getting awfully crowded as I try to prioritize the catalog of projects which I dearly need to get back to work on.... :oops:
Rob

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:00 am

RobJN wrote:
ghendar wrote:Hi, is there an update on TC2? Did it come out and I missed it? (entirely possible)
Development has been stalled while I've been dealing with pesky Real Life issues over the course of this past year and a half or so, and the back burner is getting awfully crowded as I try to prioritize the catalog of projects which I dearly need to get back to work on.... :oops:
Thanks for the update. Yeah, that pesky real life stuff can be a pain. Seems like every day I have more ideas but never enough time to do much with them. Best of luck getting it sorted out.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Return to “Mystara”