MASSIVE TROVE of Untranslated Italian Mystara material

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Havard, Gawain_VIII, Cthulhudrew, Seer of Yhog

karameikos
Gnoll

MASSIVE TROVE of Untranslated Italian Mystara material

Post by karameikos » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:15 am

Was doing a little internet searching and came across an unbelievably vast repository of Mystara material in Italian: http://www.gamesacademy.it/forum/m9448-print.aspx

Anyone know whether there are translation projects in the work for these?

I know that there are English versions of Dalmonte's Codex Immortalis (both Vol. I & II), as well as Dalmonte's Mystara Armoury. But what about the other material?

This is a trove. And the covers rival GAZ quality. Are these in the process of being translated, or are those of us who speak English and not Italian going to just have to deal with being deprived?

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: MASSIVE TROVE of Untranslated Italian Mystara material

Post by agathokles » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:08 am

AFAIK, the only active translation project is the Codex.

GP

karameikos
Gnoll

Post by karameikos » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:58 pm

agathokles wrote:AFAIK, the only active translation project is the Codex.

GP
It looks like the Codex is fully translated, isn't it?

Has anyone considered doing a Kickstarter project to raise the funds for hiring an Italian-to-English translator to translate the rest of this stuff?

I mean, it's a trove of incredible material and those of us who don't read Italian can't understand it!

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:12 pm

Well, actually the "trove" is not so huge: the Tome of Magic, Mystaran Demography, Manual of General Skills and the "CHACG" series adventures. Everything else is either a translation from English materials (e.g., part of the GazF series), or already exists in English (the Mystaran Armoury and the Altan Tepes mini-gaz, for example).

GP

karameikos
Gnoll

Post by karameikos » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:00 pm

agathokles wrote:Well, actually the "trove" is not so huge: the Tome of Magic, Mystaran Demography, Manual of General Skills and the "CHACG" series adventures. Everything else is either a translation from English materials (e.g., part of the GazF series), or already exists in English (the Mystaran Armoury and the Altan Tepes mini-gaz, for example).

GP
What about the following:

Popoli di Hyborea
Terre del'Eterno Inverno
Oceania - Terre dei Draghi
Penisola del Serpente
Evergrun
Il Braccio degl'Immortali
Penisola Testa d'Orco
Rakasta "Creature Crucible"
Regni & Nobilta

A lot of those look like new material. Am I mistaken?

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:36 pm

From what I can tell (and any of our Italian speaking friends can correct me if I'm wrong), but most of those are just (well done) compilations and pdf versions of materials that can already be found on the Vaults of Pandius in one form or another; fan-submitted articles and combinations of fan-submitted articles, as well as some other things (such as 3E conversions of earlier materials, like the rakasta).

They do look very nice, and it is certainly useful to have the info put together in one easily printed and accessible format, though.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Yes. For example, "Terre dell'Eterno Inverno" is a translation of the Gazetteers of Littonia and Kaarjala, while "Penisola Testa d'Orco" is a (partial, IIRC) translation of the Orc's Head sourcebook. "Il Braccio degli Immortali" is a compilation of the VotPA articles on Eshu, Suma'a and Gombar with the information on the Yezchamenid Empire and the Gyerians -- most of it from the Vaults of Pandius.

GP

karameikos
Gnoll

Post by karameikos » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:55 pm

agathokles wrote:Yes. For example, "Terre dell'Eterno Inverno" is a translation of the Gazetteers of Littonia and Kaarjala, while "Penisola Testa d'Orco" is a (partial, IIRC) translation of the Orc's Head sourcebook. "Il Braccio degli Immortali" is a compilation of the VotPA articles on Eshu, Suma'a and Gombar with the information on the Yezchamenid Empire and the Gyerians -- most of it from the Vaults of Pandius.

GP
Can you confirm also that the Oceania & Evergrun books fall into the same category?

Assuming that they do, how do we go about getting English versions of the big books that you did list as original and untranslated?:

Tome of Magic
Mystaran Demography
Manual of General Skills

Any ideas? I'm desperate to get this stuff in English!

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:52 pm

From what I saw, the Oceania book didn't look like any Vaults material that I recall; I must have missed the Evergrun one, though (I'll check when I get home).

As for translating, I expect it would pretty much be a matter of someone putting in the time and effort. Gary volunteered to do the Codex translation on his own, and put in considerable time and effort (and correspondence with Marco) to do it. Of course, it would be helpful to be knowledgeable in Italian as well, but where there's a will, there's a way!

karameikos
Gnoll

Post by karameikos » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:From what I saw, the Oceania book didn't look like any Vaults material that I recall; I must have missed the Evergrun one, though (I'll check when I get home).

As for translating, I expect it would pretty much be a matter of someone putting in the time and effort. Gary volunteered to do the Codex translation on his own, and put in considerable time and effort (and correspondence with Marco) to do it. Of course, it would be helpful to be knowledgeable in Italian as well, but where there's a will, there's a way!
I would do it, except that I don't speak or read a lick of Italian. I suppose I could feed the entire text into Babelfish and then go about re-constructing it, but doing that would still produce a lot of errors.

Does anyone who is actually familiar with Italian have any interest in doing this?

What about Bruce Heard? Doesn't he speak about a hundred different languages? Just kidding, Bruce.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:01 pm

karameikos wrote:I would do it, except that I don't speak or read a lick of Italian. I suppose I could feed the entire text into Babelfish and then go about re-constructing it, but doing that would still produce a lot of errors.
As I recall, that's pretty much what Gary did with the Codex. It was getting those errors translated that took the bulk of his time.

karameikos
Gnoll

Post by karameikos » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:06 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
karameikos wrote:I would do it, except that I don't speak or read a lick of Italian. I suppose I could feed the entire text into Babelfish and then go about re-constructing it, but doing that would still produce a lot of errors.
As I recall, that's pretty much what Gary did with the Codex. It was getting those errors translated that took the bulk of his time.
Well, I could try doing the text of one. It might take me a few years, but I could do it.

If I got the text done, then could anyone else do the formatting? Because I'm no good at layout, formatting, indesign, etc.

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:35 pm

There are plenty of people here who could do that. Another idea (to save time) is to divide up the larger documents: each person takes a chapter and runs it through Babelfish, and corrects the obvious errors before the document gets reassembled. Then we would need an Italian Piazzan to read it through to gauge the accuracy of the work.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

karameikos
Gnoll

Post by karameikos » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:There are plenty of people here who could do that. Another idea (to save time) is to divide up the larger documents: each person takes a chapter and runs it through Babelfish, and corrects the obvious errors before the document gets reassembled. Then we would need an Italian Piazzan to read it through to gauge the accuracy of the work.
I would sure as hell prefer THAT method over doing it all myself!!!

Does anyone want to sign up for doing a chapter? I'd pick one of the big books--maybe Volume I of Demografia Mystarana.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:15 pm

I'd forgotten until now, but there is a thread where some of the work (at least) has been started:

Zendrolion's Mystaran Demography Book

karameikos
Gnoll

Post by karameikos » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:18 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:I'd forgotten until now, but there is a thread where some of the work (at least) has been started:

Zendrolion's Mystaran Demography Book
Then maybe, rather than re-inventing the wheel, I should just let them do it?

What about the 3-volume magic compilation?

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:19 am

karameikos wrote:Then maybe, rather than re-inventing the wheel, I should just let them do it?
At the very least, you might want to check with gecko and see how it's coming along; the last post in that thread was from January. Maybe he could use some help, have some advice on where to go from here, or maybe just having some renewed interest will spur him along in his efforts. :D

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:56 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:
karameikos wrote:Then maybe, rather than re-inventing the wheel, I should just let them do it?
At the very least, you might want to check with gecko and see how it's coming along; the last post in that thread was from January. Maybe he could use some help, have some advice on where to go from here, or maybe just having some renewed interest will spur him along in his efforts. :D
Notaby the later :) I think I need to go back to my focus on only doing a rough draft translation, and not getting so detailed as I was. I can almost read most of the entries straight off (ie without using babelfish/google translate/etc.). I'll have some time next month where maybe I can come back to this.

If others want to take sections that would be nice. I've got partial versions of Ylaruam & the Broken Lands done, but I haven't done anything on the others.

Too many mystaran projects and too little time! sigh....

karameikos
Gnoll

Post by karameikos » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:40 am

Gecko wrote:
Cthulhudrew wrote:
Notaby the later :) I think I need to go back to my focus on only doing a rough draft translation, and not getting so detailed as I was. I can almost read most of the entries straight off (ie without using babelfish/google translate/etc.). I'll have some time next month where maybe I can come back to this.

If others want to take sections that would be nice. I've got partial versions of Ylaruam & the Broken Lands done, but I haven't done anything on the others.

Too many mystaran projects and too little time! sigh....
Let me know a small part of it that I could try cutting my teeth on. I've never done this before, so don't expect anything, but I'll at least see if I can make heads or tails of a page or two...

Gecko
Storm Giant

Post by Gecko » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:32 am

off the top of my head I would guess that 5 shires, rockhome, & sind are likely all easy one's, but I'd have to look to be sure.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:38 am

For checking specific sentences that are difficult to translate, I can help.

GP

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:16 pm

Is a word version of the Oceania Gaz available? I downloaded the PDF and I've been trying to find ways to extract the text, but I don't have a full version of reader here.

My Blog is here!

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:40 pm

Not that I know of. Do you want me to ask the author?

GP

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:06 pm

If you could, that would be great. I'm willing to work on this one, but I need a version that will let me cut and paste.

My Blog is here!

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:25 pm

I've posted your request on the Italian board.

GP

Return to “Mystara”