[FC:Specularum] Notable buildings by district

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: [FC:Specularum] Notable buildings by district

Post by agathokles » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:55 pm

Ville Lahde wrote:Tomorrow (thursday) we will continue our campaign. A lot of the action will take place in the Old Quarter, so a few quick questions, in case you have
time for equally quick answers:

St. Kruskiev Monastery (Dark Knight of Karameikos)
-I haven't read the book, can you give me a few pointers?

Statue of Ban Bogdan Ivanovich (new)
- Have you any specific thoughts on this?
For St. Kruskiev, I don't have the book. I'll ask on the Italian board, but I can't guarantee a quick answer. For the statue, Ban Bogdan Ivanovich is one of the (short lived) unifiers of Traladara:

AC 301-356 Bogdan Ivanovich, Ban of Marilenev, claims the title of King of Traladara. He manages to bring under his heel several clans, but the kingdom dissolves at Ivanovich's death. [K:KoA]

He is mentioned (just named, actually) in K:KoA. Except his name, K:KoA has no details. I envision him as the ancestor of the Marilenev clan, the descendent of Vandar chiefs fully integrated in the new Traladaran culture. He brought Marilenev from a minor settlement in the shadow of Krakatos to the status of regional power. The statue itself is also very old, probably dating to the time of the Traladaran league, when Marilenev was the center of the anti-Darokinian alliance and the local bans needed to foster nationalist sentiments. The ban is portrayed standing, crowned, with the right hand on a large sword and the left arm held horizontally across the chest, dressed in a knee-length tunic. The statue is somewhat larger than life size, and raised on a square base about 1 m high.
It shows some signs of age.
In modern Specularum, the statue is mostly a landmark that can be used to give directions, since it is well known, and well loved by the Traladarans.
It might also be have been a rallying point for Traladaran nationalists under the Thyatian government, and possibly during the Marilenev conspiracy as well.

GP
Last edited by agathokles on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mister c
Ogre

Post by mister c » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:38 am

De -lurking to offer some information on the monastery.
There is a back door to the monastery with a 'cloth hung entrance' which also has a bell to summon the monks. The monks of St Kruskiev are noted for their candle making skills, there is a dimmly lit room with thousands of candles hanging in pairs from wooden dowels. They are described as chanting or meditating quietly within the monastary. They also copy from scrolls, though there is no indication of the nature of the written work. (RW monks would be copying religious texts). There is a courtyard in the middle of the monastery (cloister?) with a few scrubby trees and at least one bench.

The monastery appears as the place where Brother Mikhail lives, he provides the magic for Sir Grygory's party. Monks are sometimes lent or hired out by the abbot to deserving causes,as in this case. The implication is that St kruskiev is honoured by Traldar rather than Thyatians. Mikhail would be a cleric, as he is described later as 'calling upon his Immortal for magical healing'.

Hope this helps, I just wanted to repay some of the debt I owe for such marvelous material. If I find any more information as I read on, I will post later.

CC

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:02 am

Thanks to both of you, this will do nicely for now. We are beginning "Omens and Portents" today, and as the drug dealers are
working mostly in Old Quarter and South End, any details help us to flesh out the place.

The Monastery will work nicely as a place where the PCs can look up red herrings on the comet and its effects, and on legends
about the Dark Prince (an hallucination shared by many victims of the dope). The Statue is a very good addition - I'm thinking about
adding some incidents connected to 999 AC Traladaran radicals who take up the demagogic rallying of Veiled Society. This
adventure will be a nice hotbed of activity: the drug causes the "disease", the comet rouses Traladaran superstitions, Veiled Society uses
the sickness as a catalyst for their demagogue, Oderbry uses his connections in the Order of Griffon to raise tensions, Cult of Halav
begins to pray Stefan for deliverance, a sect of Traladaran converts to CoK take up flagellation and self-mutilation as acts of extreme
purification, and ethnic tensions flare up. Yummy.

I will post details on new locations and people we manage to draft. For now, one NPC:

Rodoz Marianov, secretary of Patriarch Nikelnyevich
He is about 50 years old, thus older than his master (in 1000 AC!). He is a very "supertitious" man, likely to believe in evil
omens and resort to legends about demons and evil deities. As a young man up North he witnessed cultists of a Horned
One rampage through his village. Like his lord, he is concerned with keeping the peace between the two peoples.
Rodoz is a careful accountant and guards the church funds jealously, always demanding explanations for expenses.
The only sin is selfishness. So said the good Doctor.
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:12 am

Just a quick note: I've finally managed to update the list of buildings in the first post of this thread, including the new buildings from Ville and his players, and links to posts for, hopefully, all canon buildings for which we have collated information.

Next, I'll set up a list of NPCs in the other thread.

GP

yellowdingo
Fire Giant

Post by yellowdingo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:21 pm

If you look at map 3: "under the floors" in the Veiled Society adventure in B1-9: In Search of Adventure, you will notice that the Rattlebone Inn sits on Rattlebone lane with other buildings.

RATTLEBONE LANE RUNS NORTH-SOUTH

North<---[A Garden that could be part of the Vorloi residence]>[Fortunato Vorloi's Townhouse][Rattlebone Inn][Home of Goodwife Thanato][Collapsed building" due to fire][Turano's GuestHouse -out the back of his regular residence so I think it is a block that occupies two areas like Fortunato Vorloi's Townhouse]---->SOUTH

*My dwarf built a 20'x20' stone safehouse there with an Armoury in the Cellar.

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:56 pm

If you are collating NPCs, here's a few that I think I haven't yet added:

Kantianos, Master of the Dyers' Guils
About 50 years old, gray hair has been dyed black, but usualy some gray roots are visible. He wears skillfully
dyed clothes as a sort of advertisment for the guild. His arms are permanently dyed grey-brown up to his
elbows due to years of dyeing. Even though he is a Thyatian, he always treats Traladarans equally.

Malev, Storemaster of the Dyers' Guild
Middle aged Traladaran man of uncertain descent and age, he rules supreme over the storehouse of the
guild. He knows instinctively where everything is. He is virile and energetic, speaks very loudly, and is
fond of Ylaruamian coffee - so much that he usually just munches on the roasted beans.

Findilius, Master of the Tailors' Guild
For a guildmaster Findilius is surprisingly young, and he even has the rank of a court lord. He tends to
dress in darokinian finery of the latest fashion and uses perfumes. His behaviour towards commoners is
condescending.
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:23 pm

yellowdingo wrote:If you look at map 3: "under the floors" in the Veiled Society adventure in B1-9: In Search of Adventure, you will notice that the Rattlebone Inn sits on Rattlebone lane with other buildings.
Right. I've moved it with the other buildings in the North End, and I've added Rattlebone lane to the list.

Thanks,
GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:25 pm

Ville Lahde wrote:If you are collating NPCs, here's a few that I think I haven't yet added:
Thanks! I've added an index of current NPCs in this thread.
I'll keep it update as we add new NPCs.

GP

mister c
Ogre

Post by mister c » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:11 pm

I've been re reading Dark knight and here are a few more useful factoids.
The monastery has a rule that monks (and visitors?) speak quietly, it is suggested that many of the monks are not used to speaking often.
Brother Mikhail has a basin cut (tonsure?).
The holy symbol of Mikhail's immortal (St Kruskiev?) is a sword and a dove.
The book implies that the monastery is relitavely poor, or at least fairly run-down.

There is also a good descriptive paragraph for the Old Quarter;
"As he passed through the Merchant Districtinto the Old Quarter, the character of the city changed. Teh multi storey buildings of the merchants, decorated richly with wares to attract teh eye of passing customers, gave way to low, ramshackle one- and two- storey structures, packed closely together. The streets becme narrow and unpaved, sloppy with slick mud in the early morning rain. The tempting smells of cooking food and exotic oils were left behind, replaced by the smell of rotting vegetables and the occasional whiff of raw sewage"

Hope this is of use.

If its of any use, I ran several Specularum adventures a few years back and added quite a bit especially to the Street of Dreams area. Would anyone be interested if I can find it?

Chris

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:25 pm

mister c wrote:The holy symbol of Mikhail's immortal (St Kruskiev?) is a sword and a dove.
The book implies that the monastery is relitavely poor, or at least fairly run-down.
Could this be another name for Halav? His symbol also has a sword in it...

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:01 am

mister c wrote: Hope this is of use.
Thanks!
If its of any use, I ran several Specularum adventures a few years back and added quite a bit especially to the Street of Dreams area. Would anyone be interested if I can find it?
Sure! We'd certainly like to see new locations or adventures for Specularum :)

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:03 am

Havard wrote: Could this be another name for Halav? His symbol also has a sword in it...
I'd assume St. Kruskiev is a different person, but that the clerical powers come indeed from the Traladaran Three. It is possible that Kruskiev is still around as an Exalted servant of Halav, though.

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:37 pm

I would be very grateful for details on the Street of Dreams. By the way, a gang Dream Streeters was detailed in Dungeon 13 "Of Nests and Nations". Still, the adventure is very rigidly written and focuses on the event timeline, so the material on Secularum itself is always very scematic.

I'd thinks that "St." in St. Kruskiev would refer to an actual historical figure, if we want to keep with the analogue of Christian monasteries. Kruskiev might
be an important religious figure in the pre-Thyatian times. Perhaps he could be connected with the time when Song of Halav was committed to writing by Thyatian missionaries? St. Kruskiev could be said to have preserved "original" or "untainted" versions of old legends, sort of like gnostic texts for
Church of Traladara? Perhaps we might connect Patriarch Sergeyev to this "heretical" tradition?

GP: if you want, you can also add a few NPCs from this thread that I detailed in connection with certain buildings:
- Stavros, a Veiled Society starosta in South End (restaurant Borsch)
- Porius, a guard captain in South End (nead dyers' guild)
- Also the three FQ gang leaders
- Iain M. Banks

yellowdingo
Fire Giant

Post by yellowdingo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:50 pm

What exactly do you plan to do with all this info? Will you be doing an Image map of Specularum and using imagemap (or is it mouseover?) to bring up details of a given location whether a street or building...I would love to get a better map of Specularum with buildings and street names.

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:35 pm

GP: A quick related question, since the Traladaran timeline is often referred to in this thread. Is the version in the Vaults the most
current one? In the old boards you made a lot of changes in the timeline due to the discussion, and I was wondering if they made it
to the version Shawn posted. If not, could you post the most recent one on these boards?

- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:21 pm

yellowdingo wrote:What exactly do you plan to do with all this info? Will you be doing an Image map of Specularum and using imagemap (or is it mouseover?) to bring up details of a given location whether a street or building...I would love to get a better map of Specularum with buildings and street names.
Have a look at the first post in this thread ;)
The idea is to build a fan-version of the Fantasy Cities #1: Specularum vaporware supplement mentioned in the reference document. Basically, it's a city book. It will feature a detailed gazetteer of each district, including a map with street names and marked buildings -- you may have a look at the first two district maps (Stronghold and Church districts), linked from the first post.
The book will support Ville's Specularum series of adventures, but might include additional adventures, or at least adventure sites (like the Ruined Church I posted some time ago).

As for an interactive map, that's possible, assuming we can find a way to generate it easily.

GP

yellowdingo
Fire Giant

Post by yellowdingo » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:33 pm

Sorry, I've never heard of that book...

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:40 pm

Ville Lahde wrote:GP: A quick related question, since the Traladaran timeline is often referred to in this thread. Is the version in the Vaults the most
current one? In the old boards you made a lot of changes in the timeline due to the discussion, and I was wondering if they made it
to the version Shawn posted. If not, could you post the most recent one on these boards?
I'll have to dig into the old board and check what changes were done, after one year I don't remember what was discussed exactly. :oops:

I'll be back with more info during the week-end.

GP

stanles
Hill Giant

Post by stanles » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:52 pm

agathokles wrote:
Ville Lahde wrote:GP: A quick related question, since the Traladaran timeline is often referred to in this thread. Is the version in the Vaults the most
I'll have to dig into the old board and check what changes were done, after one year I don't remember what was discussed exactly. :oops:

I'll be back with more info during the week-end.

GP
looking at this page http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=974947 and the date I give the article I would have to say that it is the latest version as posted on the old boards.
Visit the Vaults of Pandius http://pandius.com, the official website for the Dungeons and Dragons setting of Mystara.

Submissions to the Vaults can be made directly to webmaster@pandius.com

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:32 pm

stanles wrote: looking at this page http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=974947 and the date I give the article I would have to say that it is the latest version as posted on the old boards.
Indeed, thanks.

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:34 pm

yellowdingo wrote:Sorry, I've never heard of that book...
Here is the description from the Reference Guide:

DCr1 - Fantasy Cities(tm) #1, Specularum AC 1011: This new supplement provides a new look at the classic city of the D&D(r) Game, during the game year of 1011 AC. Includes street maps, building layouts, non player characters, historical information, etc. We may develop a link with the electronic games based upon Karameikos.

The main difference is that we're working at year 1000 AC, since that is the timeframe most people use. Also, we aren't going to have links with electronic games, since the only game set in Karameikos is Order of the Griffon.

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:23 pm

Regarding the Specularum Series adventure: as the book project progresses, I might rewrite and edit the adventures to be more user-friendly, as
the current run with them helps me to locate loopholes etc.
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:21 pm

Ville Lahde wrote: I'd thinks that "St." in St. Kruskiev would refer to an actual historical figure, if we want to keep with the analogue of Christian monasteries. Kruskiev might
be an important religious figure in the pre-Thyatian times. Perhaps he could be connected with the time when Song of Halav was committed to writing by Thyatian missionaries? St. Kruskiev could be said to have preserved "original" or "untainted" versions of old legends, sort of like gnostic texts for
Church of Traladara? Perhaps we might connect Patriarch Sergeyev to this "heretical" tradition?
That would be a good idea. Probably they aren't followers of the Cult of Halav, but the Cult's doctrine may be in part based on Kruskievite writings.
GP: if you want, you can also add a few NPCs from this thread that I detailed in connection with certain buildings:
- Stavros, a Veiled Society starosta in South End (restaurant Borsch)
- Porius, a guard captain in South End (nead dyers' guild)
- Also the three FQ gang leaders
Done!

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:45 pm

Yup, that's what I was thinking. Here's a small writeup:

Kruskiev Order might descend from a Traladaran bard-cleric who kept up the oral traditions
that were lost during the Thyatian translation. For ages they gathered in secret to pass on the old songs, believing that
committing them to writing weakened the original truths - and in fact, Thyatian and other influences surely changed many things
in the Traladaran lore. (I'm basing this on Giampaolo's Religions of Karameikos article). The Kruskiev Order managed to stay
alive during the centuries of schism within the church, as all the sects drew from their teachings. Heresy has never been
so much an issue of dogma in Traladaran religious life, rather than part of political alliances and conflicts. As the Kruskiev
order never aspired to leadership, they escaped the sect conflicts. (The point about heresy comes from the nature of Church of
Traladara: the general acceptance of fortune-telling, personal interpretation of the Song etc. I would think that only the
most radical deviation would be considered truly heretical - Cult of Halav is an obvious example.)

It was only in the last two centuries that the order has began to commit the oral tradition to writing. One of their leaders
devised a new form of writing that combined the musical and emotional elements of the songs, so as not to empty them
of their true value. It relies partly on sense of touch, as patterns are woven into the scrolls by thread. The meditations of
the monks are actually silent recitations of the songs by running their hands over the writings. One of their sacred duties
is to make special candles that allow the reader to appreciate the living shadows that form upon the song-writing.

It is said that Patriarch Sergeyev studied Kruskievite scrolls intensely in the years before slipping into madness and heresy.
- Iain M. Banks

yellowdingo
Fire Giant

Post by yellowdingo » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:05 am

There are some buildings/people set on the Street of Dreams in the OD&DITIES E-ZINE'S that can be downloaded from dragonsfoot.org

Return to “Mystara”