[FC:Specularum] Notable buildings by district

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

yellowdingo
Fire Giant

Re: [FC:Specularum] Notable buildings by district

Post by yellowdingo »

Ville Lahde wrote:Regarding the Specularum Series adventure: as the book project progresses, I might rewrite and edit the adventures to be more user-friendly, as
the current run with them helps me to locate loopholes etc.
You might want to combine the ADVENTURE IDEA Rose of Vorloi with the ADVENTURE Veiled Society (The part in which Fortunato Vorloi's Daughter Lucia? is Murdered in Fortunato' Vorloi's Town House). It seems ideal to combine with the Abduction of Marianna Vorloi on a "sleep-over" at the same residence.

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

Most likely during our campaign I will use Davinos' complaint, Rose of Vorloi, the Valdo Tisza and Torenescu adventure roots, but I will rewrite them
extensively and combine them with elements of Veiled Society. Veiled Society was cool in its time, but as an adventure it is fairly straightforward and
railroading. It would be nice to make it a more open-ended one.

For one thing, our group's PCs seem to be leaning on Veiled Society as a potential ally, or at least a force they wish to respect. It's nice to see where
that will take us.

The only sin is selfishness. So said the good Doctor.
- Iain M. Banks

yellowdingo
Fire Giant

Post by yellowdingo »

You might want to set the Murders and kidnappings during the Millenium Riots. Try an locate the Murderers while the city burns and Troops and Bands of Rioters wander the streets...

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Ville Lahde wrote:Most likely during our campaign I will use Davinos' complaint, Rose of Vorloi, the Valdo Tisza and Torenescu adventure roots, but I will rewrite them extensively and combine them with elements of Veiled Society. Veiled Society was cool in its time, but as an adventure it is fairly straightforward and
railroading. It would be nice to make it a more open-ended one.
Keep us posted! Any idea that can be used to add depth/open-endedness to the existing adventures set in Specularum will be useful.

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

I intentionally started the campaign in Thaumont 999, so the Millennium Celebration can function as the
context for some serious civil disturbance etc. I am planning on running "Stuffed Heads and Lethal
Weddings" after the current "Omens and Portents", and then I will begin to entangle the PCs in the
rewritten canon material around Veiled Society, Radus, Torenescus, Marilenevs, Vorlois, and also the
internal schisms within the CoK.

"Millennium Riots" has a nice ring to it... this thursday the PCs should have some contact with Traladaran
demagogues and rising ethnic tensions. I have also laid down some ambience for the coming
Millennial celebrations by focusing on the Cult of Halav and a new milleniarian cult within the
Church of Karameikos that focuses on purification through self-flagellation and self-mutilation.

"Tale of the Wavering Bard" requires that all the players feel at home in the city, so those political
machinations will also be a good learning experience.
- Iain M. Banks

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

GP, a quick question. I did not want to establish a thread for this alone, since it is connected to the present topic:

In your "Religions of Karameikos" you mention the Patriarchate of Krakatos, and Sergeyev as a holder of that
position. But I'd think it unlikely that the church would even originally have had such a Patriachate, as
Krakatos was destroyed in BC 490 ny Leptar, acoording to your timeline.

Are the timeline and the Religions article from different stages of planning, or did you have something specific in
mind?

Anyway, thanks for the Religions article, it's very helpful.
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Ville Lahde wrote:GP, a quick question. I did not want to establish a thread for this alone, since it is connected to the present topic:

In your "Religions of Karameikos" you mention the Patriarchate of Krakatos, and Sergeyev as a holder of that
position. But I'd think it unlikely that the church would even originally have had such a Patriachate, as
Krakatos was destroyed in BC 490 ny Leptar, acoording to your timeline.

Are the timeline and the Religions article from different stages of planning, or did you have something specific in
mind?
Uhm, I think I mentioned it in the article, but the "Patriarch of Krakatos" is actually an empty title (not attached to a real see) that is generally held by the second in command of the Church after the Patriach of Marilenev. Basically, it is similar to the Vicar General of Rome in the Catholic Church. This position is associated with the name of Krakatos for historical reasons only.

GP

P.S.: Ahem, apparently I forgot to mention this in the article and just wrote that the current see for the Patriarch of Krakatos is Specularum... :oops: However, the idea is that the Patriarchate of Krakatos relocated to Lazkow until that town was destroyed. At that point, Marilenev had become the primary center of the Church, and the increased population of the city forced the Church hierachy to increase the staff of the priesthood. On the other hand, I wrote the Timeline and religion article in different times, so the mismatch is actually an error. The Patriarchate of Krakatos should probably be moved to Lazkow since the before formation of the organized church.
Anyway, thanks for the Religions article, it's very helpful.
P.P.S.: thanks for your appreciation!

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

The notion of a honorary Partiarchate of Krakatos is a cool one, although Krakatos has been in ruins for a long time. The
Patriarchate can never have been there and then relocated, since I'd think there was no organised church in BC times?
But what if instead the Partiarchate was based on a tradition of guarding and honoring the sacred ruins of Krakatos?
The Patriarch would be responsible for shepherding the pilgrims, looking after the relics etc. Only in later times, as
the Krakatos tradition fell in neglect, would it become just a honorary title for the secondary Patriarch of Marilenev -
perhaps for the Patriarch responsible for administrative duties?

By the way, it took a while to dig out Lazkow, since it is only mentioned in Jennifer's Traladaran Clans article. Initially
I went looking for it in your Traladaran Wars map and Traladaran timeline. Man, your research has been impressive!
It is nice that you went through the trouble to fit all these things together.

- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Ville Lahde wrote:The notion of a honorary Partiarchate of Krakatos is a cool one, although Krakatos has been in ruins for a long time. The
Patriarchate can never have been there and then relocated, since I'd think there was no organised church in BC times?
Indeed :(
But what if instead the Partiarchate was based on a tradition of guarding and honoring the sacred ruins of Krakatos?
The Patriarch would be responsible for shepherding the pilgrims, looking after the relics etc. Only in later times, as
the Krakatos tradition fell in neglect, would it become just a honorary title for the secondary Patriarch of Marilenev -
perhaps for the Patriarch responsible for administrative duties?
Yes, that's a good possibility. :)
By the way, it took a while to dig out Lazkow, since it is only mentioned in Jennifer's Traladaran Clans article. Initially
I went looking for it in your Traladaran Wars map and Traladaran timeline. Man, your research has been impressive!
It is nice that you went through the trouble to fit all these things together.
Unfortunately, I forgot to place Lazkow (and some of the other settlements from Jennifer's article) on the map :oops:

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

Hmmmm... by the way, should we perhaps include a section on Karameikos in general for the Specularum book? Or perhaps a selected
group of appendices that can be used as references in the main text? The timeline, appended with maps of different historical periods and
the articles on Traladaran clans & Religions might work nicely.

But: I don't want to step on any toes here. Have you GP & AllanP decided on some kind of division of labour?
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Ville Lahde wrote:Hmmmm... by the way, should we perhaps include a section on Karameikos in general for the Specularum book? Or perhaps a selected
group of appendices that can be used as references in the main text? The timeline, appended with maps of different historical periods and
the articles on Traladaran clans & Religions might work nicely.
Yes, there is some continuity between those articles and the Specularum book. For example, the Guilds and Societies article is almost entirely related to Specularum. Of my "Karameikos Companion" series, only the goblinoid tribes article is truly out of place in a Specularum book.
However, we've currently no major plans beyond completing the district descriptions. Once we have those, we may have an estimate of the page count, and we can see what we can fit into the book.
But: I don't want to step on any toes here. Have you GP & AllanP decided on some kind of division of labour?
There isn't much of an organization, actually, and the work is open to contributions from anyone. The only division of labour is that Allan is doing the district maps (I'm not good at all in that department) and I'm doing more NPCs and building descriptions.

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

Okay, cool. Once the materials are converging for the book, I can rewrite the Specularum series adventures to fit that
material properly. You can decide whether to include them, or I can collect them into an appendix book. Come to think
of it, I might ask the original illustrator permission to use the drawings in the Claymore zine issues.

- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Ville Lahde wrote:Okay, cool. Once the materials are converging for the book, I can rewrite the Specularum series adventures to fit that
material properly. You can decide whether to include them, or I can collect them into an appendix book. Come to think
of it, I might ask the original illustrator permission to use the drawings in the Claymore zine issues.
I'd certainly like to include them! :D

GP

yellowdingo
Fire Giant

Post by yellowdingo »

A few thoughts on Rattlebone Lane

Based on the underground tunnel map in VEILED SOCIETY, the Positions of buildings places the INN at the end of a road, Not at the side of it. That puts the Townhouse of Fortunato Vorloi on another street.

----------------------------<WESTRON ALLEY?>----------------------------------
..............................[TOWNHOUSE]
..............................[TOWNHOUSE] o [THANATO][BURNTRUIN] [GUESTHOUSE]
<--NORTH..................[ GARDEN ][INN][THANATO][BURNTRUIN][ TURANO's ]................................ SOUTH-->
...............................[ GARDEN ][INN]---<rattlebone lane>------------------
...............................[ GARDEN ][INN]

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

I just placed the statue of Ban Bogdan Ivanovich in the Old Quarter on the map. It is beneath the letter "L" of the word OLD in the Gaz map.

I placed it there for the reason that GP called it a well-known landmark. Thus I'd think it would be on a small piazza near a main avenue,
but a good place for giving north-south directions: "Open Door boarding house? Okay, you know the small marketplace where the Ban's statue stands? Bogdan's Open? Right. Face south and take the street south on the opposite side of Church Alley [would this be a good name], and turn righ at the first four-way crossing. Don't be distracted by the small alleyways. Go staight west past the first block, and you'll find the Open Door sign on the next block after the next crossing, in an alleyway leading to a closed courtyard. Ask for Tatyana, if you want something else than a kip and a bath. Now how about that pint then, mate?"

Other locations that we have placed:
- Veterinarian Davidov's and his wife's house: on the open lawns west of South End, the group of houses directly west of the text SOUTH END
- Inn "Golden Orda", in the Nest, opposite the Church District gates, southern side of Church Alley.
- Dyers' Guild: South End, beside the letter "y" in "Westron Alley"
- Porius's Guardhouse: South End, a little right of the text SOUTH END.
- Tailors' Guild: Merchant District, two crossings north of "E" in MERCHANT
- Tegell's House: Easternmost block of the FQ
Last edited by Ville Lahde on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Iain M. Banks

mister c
Ogre

Post by mister c »

Still looking for my notes on the adventures we played around the Street of Dreams, but here are a few locations I think I recall;
Mages Pages, a shop selling books, parcements, scrolls etc located next to the Wizard's guildhall (optionally may hae some minor magical scrolls for sale as well). Always on the lookout for unusual feathers etc.
The Scarlet Wizards, an informal social club located in a six storey octagonal tower. There are no intenal stairways, just a hole in the centre of each level, thus members must use leviatation to access upper levels. The top level is guarded by a wall (floor?) of flames. The Scarlet Wizards have another branch in Kelvin, where they lobby to have the ban on wizards casting spells repealed.
The Rusty Wand, a tavern located about half way down the street. The Hin barkeep, Bollo is an agent of the Duchess and a possibly useful contact.
Hope these prove useful.

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

North End District – Rattlebone Lane – points for discussion
yellowdingo wrote:A few thoughts on Rattlebone Lane

Based on the underground tunnel map in VEILED SOCIETY, the Positions of buildings places the INN at the end of a road, Not at the side of it. That puts the Townhouse of Fortunato Vorloi on another street.

----------------------------<WESTRON ALLEY?>----------------------------------
..............................[TOWNHOUSE] o [THANATO][BURNTRUIN] [GUESTHOUSE]
<--NORTH..................[ GARDEN ][INN][THANATO][BURNTRUIN][ TURANO's ]................................ SOUTH-->
...............................[ GARDEN ][INN]---<rattlebone lane>------------------
...............................[ GARDEN ][INN]
Yellowdingo’s thoughts on Rattlebone Lane have prompted me to take another look at module B6 (Veiled Society) to look at the buildings mentioned with a view to locating them within the Specularum map.

First, using the underground map for the “Under the Floors” section of B6, we find that the underground locations are:

(1): Cavern under a garden. It is not clear to whom the garden belongs. It seems likely it is part of the above-ground property of location (2).

(2): Cellar beneath the house of merchant Fortunato Vorloi. Fortunato is a younger brother of Baron Philip Vorloi. Fortunato’s daughter, Lucia (the Baron’s niece) is mentioned in B6.

(3): Cavern – no apparent above-ground connection.

(4): Room beneath a ground level cistern.

(5): Goodwife Turanato’s Cellar. This is a large two-chamber room (the text indicates that the southern chamber is part of the cellar, not a new excavation.

(6): A disused and rubble-filled cellar of a house.

(7): Turano’s Cellar. This is a cellar beneath a Guest House, “a small building at the rear of a larger house owned by Turano, a butcher.”The text confirms that location (7) is beneath the Guest House and not Turano’s main house.

(Note: I believe the key to the symbols for ladders and Hidden Openings on the map has been transposed – the description of the ladder symbol is incorrectly given as Hidden Opening and vice versa.)

In the second map, I have outlined the minimum above ground dimensions of Fortunato’s House (2), Goodwife Thato’s house (5), the house with the disused cellar (6) and Turano’s Guest House (7).

If I interpret Yellowdingo’s diagram correctly, he has placed the Inn (where the PCs meet) between Fortnato’s House and the Goodwife’s House. However, I feel this is inappropriate as the underground map shows tunnels in this area, but no cellar which one would expect to find beneath an inn. The text in B6 does indicate that the Goodwife’s house is “…a few feet away from the inn”. Consequently, I would place the Inn on the opposite side of the street on which the Goodwife’s house stands.

Note: the inn where the characters meet is not explicitly named as the “Rattlebone Inn”. However, in location (7) “…a map of this area of the city” is found, The module’s text descrines the map: “Marked are this house (i.e. Turano’s Guest House), Fortunato’s house, the Rattlebone Inn, Zweiss Radu’s house, and Baron Vorloi’s guest house.” It seems reasonable to assume that the inn frequented by the PCs in this module is the Rattlebone Inn. (Rattlebone Lane is not actually mentioned in the text.)

It is interesting to note that Baron Vorloi has a guest house in this area, and that Zweiss Radu resides here also. Is location (1), the garden, part of Baron Vorloi’s guest house which perhaps adjoins Fortunato’s house? Does Baron Vorloi have a principal residence in the city?

My third map attempts to show the above ground locations and streets. Using this configuration and the scale given in B6, I now need to determine where Rattlebone Lane is located within the North End district of Specularum.

My initial thoughts suggest it should be placed in North End on the west side of Westron Alley, perhaps on the western edge of the Lesser Merchant District. We may also need to take into account the other mapped area of B6 - the Chase sequence which leads the PCs to the Blue Water Mead Hall (placed in the Merchant District by agathojles). The Blue Water Mead Hall is at the north-east corner of the Chase area; the chase starts in the south-west corner of the area. The area itself is about 500' by 400'. I'm having difficulty determining an appropriate location such that the PCs can logically be investigating around the start point of the Chase while keeping the Mead Hall in the Merchant District...

I would welcome any views.

regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII »

Don't forget that the PCs are supposed to be split up into two different inns, (I think it says "across the street") one of which is likely to be the Rattlebone Inn.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

Gawain_VIII wrote:Don't forget that the PCs are supposed to be split up into two different inns, (I think it says "across the street") one of which is likely to be the Rattlebone Inn.
Roger - Well spotted!

Yes, I'd overlooked that . So - one inn is "a few feet awa"y from Goodwife Tanato's house, anmd there's another inn "acrss the street ". I suggest the second inn is onthe opposite side of the street that runs east-west lying south of the Rattlebone Inn,
Here's a revised street map...

regards,
AllanP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

AllanP wrote: My initial thoughts suggest it should be placed in North End on the west side of Westron Alley, perhaps on the western edge of the Lesser Merchant District. We may also need to take into account the other mapped area of B6 - the Chase sequence which leads the PCs to the Blue Water Mead Hall (placed in the Merchant District by agathojles). The Blue Water Mead Hall is at the north-east corner of the Chase area; the chase starts in the south-west corner of the area. The area itself is about 500' by 400'. I'm having difficulty determining an appropriate location such that the PCs can logically be investigating around the start point of the Chase while keeping the Mead Hall in the Merchant District...
Note that I didn't consider the B6 detail maps in placing the buildings, since the Specularum city map of B6 greatly differs from the one in GAZ1. This should explain the difficulty in finding a location that accomodates both. If you can find an area that matches the chase map, feel free to move the Mead Hall, though.

GP

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

agathokles wrote:Note that I didn't consider the B6 detail maps in placing the buildings, since the Specularum city map of B6 greatly differs from the one in GAZ1. This should explain the difficulty in finding a location that accomodates both. If you can find an area that matches the chase map, feel free to move the Mead Hall, though.

GP
You're right GP - the City as envisaged in module B6 has a layout quote different from the later GAZ1 map.
However, I think I've now found a suitable area to fit the "Chase" encounter into. The Blue Water Mead Hall is mentioned as beinbg located "near the waterfront" in B6. This means it ought to be in eother the North End or in the Merchant District near the harbour. If we place the Blue Water Mead Hall in the northern half of the Merchant District, there isn't enough space below it to fit the Chase area in before you hit the main east-west thoroughfare that runs from the Jarbour . As the Chase map doesn't show any major rooute in the area coovered by the Chase, I suggest the Blue Water Mead Hall is located in the southern half of the Merchant District and that the streets and alleys of the Chase lie south and west of it encompassing part of the Merchant District and part of the Old Quarter. (And it may even meabn that the bits of city wall shown on the Chase map are remnats of old fortiication that once bordered the Old Quarter...)

I hope the map below gives an indication of what I mean

How does that look?

regards,
AllanP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

AllanP wrote:As the Chase map doesn't show any major rooute in the area coovered by the Chase, I suggest the Blue Water Mead Hall is located in the southern half of the Merchant District and that the streets and alleys of the Chase lie south and west of it encompassing part of the Merchant District and part of the Old Quarter. (And it may even meabn that the bits of city wall shown on the Chase map are remnats of old fortiication that once bordered the Old Quarter...)

How does that look?
Seems good to me. I'll leave the Mead Hall in the Merchant District, then.

GP

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

agathokles wrote:Seems good to me. I'll leave the Mead Hall in the Merchant District, then.

GP
Yep, I knew your placement of the Mead Hall was right all along, GP! ;)

regards,
AllanP

Scorbane
Kobold

Post by Scorbane »

OK, not really new to this site, but just signed up. I have been following this thread for a while because a while ago I started drawing Specularum using a CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) program. I placed the "Under The Floors" part of B6 as shown in the following picture.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Scorbane wrote:OK, not really new to this site, but just signed up. I have been following this thread for a while because a while ago I started drawing Specularum using a CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) program. I placed the "Under The Floors" part of B6 as shown in the following picture.
Welcome! That's a possible placement. The main constraint is that, while the rest of the neighbourhood could be in the Old Quarter or another lower-class area, Vorloi's house should not be in a Traladaran quarter. Other than that, the area can be placed almost anywhere.

GP

Return to “Mystara”