[FC:Specularum] Notable buildings by district

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Scorbane
Kobold

Re: [FC:Specularum] Notable buildings by district

Post by Scorbane »

Vorloi's house should not be in a Traladaran quarter
I agree that Baron Philip Vorloi would probably not have a house in this area, but his brother Fortunato might. And since Fortunato is a merchant who spends several weeks at a time at sea, I think this placement makes sense. Also, there is nothing that says he has to have just one house. Which also leads to the question, where was Fortunato's wife Marianne when Lucia was killed? Was she at sea with Fortunato, or was she at the main house somewhere else in Karameikos?

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

Scorbane wrote:
Vorloi's house should not be in a Traladaran quarter
I agree that Baron Philip Vorloi would probably not have a house in this area, but his brother Fortunato might. And since Fortunato is a merchant who spends several weeks at a time at sea, I think this placement makes sense. Also, there is nothing that says he has to have just one house. Which also leads to the question, where was Fortunato's wife Marianne when Lucia was killed? Was she at sea with Fortunato, or was she at the main house somewhere else in Karameikos?
Hi scorbane -
Thanks for "decloaking" and for your input to this discussio about B6's locations.

I like the idea of the "Rattlebone Lane" area being where you place it - transferring that location on to the map I previously posted shows it lies primarily in the Merchant District, just north of the Old Quarter - and I don't think the Merchant District is primarily a Traladaran area. It also puts the Rattlebone Inn area relatively close to the start of the Chase sequence in B6, wjhich seems to fit.

I'd need to take another lookat the dimensions and distances on the Chase map again, but it looks as though this might fit...

IIRC, it's a piece in the Vaults of Pandius which suggests the Rattlebone Inn is "...on Rattlebone Lane in a poorer part of Specularum" - I don't think B6 gives a real placement. And agathokles probaly used the "poorer part" description to place it in the North End as per the initial post in this current thread.

Anyone else have any views on relocating Rattlebone Lane to the border of the Merchant District and Old Quarter?

BTW scorbane- I'm using Campaign Cartographer to map Specularum - this application includes the ability to save maps as AutoCAD DWG and DXF files, as well as open files of those types, but I've not had the opportunity or resources to investigate that aspect.

regards.
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

I think the main points are the following:
  • As Scorbane correctly notes, it makes sense that Fortunato's house be somewhere near the harbor.
  • Rattlebone Lane seems indeed a not too rich area.
  • On the other hand, it doesn't seem to have much local Traladaran colour or even many Traladaran inhabitants -- both Thanato and Turano seem more Thyatian names.
  • Finally, Fortunato is a Thyatian, and certainly not at all poor. He wouldn't let his daughter stay in a lower-class (or simply Traladaran) area.
That said, it is not easy to find a location where half of the buildings can be in a poor area, and the rest in an upper-class area.

GP

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

agathokles wrote:I think the main points are the following:
  • As Scorbane correctly notes, it makes sense that Fortunato's house be somewhere near the harbor.
  • Rattlebone Lane seems indeed a not too rich area.
  • On the other hand, it doesn't seem to have much local Traladaran colour or even many Traladaran inhabitants -- both Thanato and Turano seem more Thyatian names.
  • Finally, Fortunato is a Thyatian, and certainly not at all poor. He wouldn't let his daughter stay in a lower-class (or simply Traladaran) area.
That said, it is not easy to find a location where half of the buildings can be in a poor area, and the rest in an upper-class area.

GP
I guess this is another aspect of B6's version of the city being at odds with the map and description that appears in GAZ1.

From Scorbone's placement of "Rattlebone Inn", Fortunato's house would lie in the Merchant District - just below the middle "T" of "DISTRICT" on the map - do you think this is too lower class for a brother of Baron Vorloi? Perhaps there's a story here? maybe Fortunato isn't a "favoured" sibling?
Perhaps I should refraw my map of Rattlebone Lane to position the buildings so the the Innlies across the street in the Old Quarter (which would fulfil the Pandius comment of it being in a "poorer part of town" (albeit close to the Merchant .
District...

It's a pity we don't have the map which the characters find in B6 that has markked on it “(Turano’s Guest) House, Fortunato’s house, the Rattlebone Inn, Zweiss Radu’s house, and Baron Vorloi’s guest house.” - that would at least give us an indication of the relative area - how far these locations are from one another. Where would Zweiss Radu's house and Baron Vorloi's Guest House be situated?

regards,
AllanP

mister c
Ogre

Post by mister c »

Perhaps Vorloi keeps a house in a lower clas area for personal reasons? I'm thinking of Victorian gentlemen who often kept a second household with a mistress? Just a suggestion for why an upper class Thyatian might live in a mostly Traldar area.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

mister c wrote:Perhaps Vorloi keeps a house in a lower clas area for personal reasons? I'm thinking of Victorian gentlemen who often kept a second household with a mistress? Just a suggestion for why an upper class Thyatian might live in a mostly Traldar area.
Still, that's not the place where he would keep his daughter ;)

GP

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

agathokles wrote:
mister c wrote:Perhaps Vorloi keeps a house in a lower clas area for personal reasons? I'm thinking of Victorian gentlemen who often kept a second household with a mistress? Just a suggestion for why an upper class Thyatian might live in a mostly Traldar area.
Still, that's not the place where he would keep his daughter ;)

GP
I was unclear which Vorloi and house it was that mister c was referring to.

I read his comment as "Perhaps (Baron) Vorloi keeps a (Guest) House in a lower class area...", as opposed to your interpretation that he was referring to Fortunato...

The B6 text refers to two Vorloi's - the Baron and Fortunato (the Baron's brother). Fortunato is a merchant, away at sea for long periods, and has a house near the "Rattlebone Inn". This house is marked on the map that the PCs find in the course of B6, and Baron Vorloi's Guest House is also marked on that map according to the description. Baron Vorloi's main residence is in the "...friendly, peaceful community..." of Vorloi, the Baron's family seat and trade town. K:KoA also notes that "Baron Vorloi deals with all Karameikans alike, regardless of heritage..." - perhaps this is an indication that the Vorlois might not have a hang-up about where their residences in Specularum might be located?

regards,
AllanP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

AllanP wrote: The B6 text refers to two Vorloi's - the Baron and Fortunato (the Baron's brother). Fortunato is a merchant, away at sea for long periods, and has a house near the "Rattlebone Inn". This house is marked on the map that the PCs find in the course of B6, and Baron Vorloi's Guest House is also marked on that map according to the description. Baron Vorloi's main residence is in the "...friendly, peaceful community..." of Vorloi, the Baron's family seat and trade town. K:KoA also notes that "Baron Vorloi deals with all Karameikans alike, regardless of heritage..." - perhaps this is an indication that the Vorlois might not have a hang-up about where their residences in Specularum might be located?
Still, he is one of the richest people in Karameikos, and, while he may not care about the Thyatian/Traladaran issue, he (and especially his brother) would still reside in upper-class areas. This is especially true of Fortunato, of course, while the Baron's guesthouse might well be in a middle-class area. However, since these two buildings are quite near, we should consider both the constraints.

GP

Scorbane
Kobold

Post by Scorbane »

AllanP wrote:BTW scorbane- I'm using Campaign Cartographer to map Specularum - this application includes the ability to save maps as AutoCAD DWG and DXF files, as well as open files of those types, but I've not had the opportunity or resources to investigate that aspect.
The file is in AutoCAD. I can send it to you if you want to play around with it.

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

Scorbane wrote:The file is in AutoCAD. I can send it to you if you want to play around with it.
Hi Scorbane -

I would be interested in seeing your AutoCAD file(s). It will give me a chance to see Campaign Cartographer actually handles those sorts of files.

I will e-mail you separately with my e-mail address.

regards,
AllanP

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

agathokles wrote:
AllanP wrote: The B6 text refers to two Vorloi's - the Baron and Fortunato (the Baron's brother). Fortunato is a merchant, away at sea for long periods, and has a house near the "Rattlebone Inn". This house is marked on the map that the PCs find in the course of B6, and Baron Vorloi's Guest House is also marked on that map according to the description. Baron Vorloi's main residence is in the "...friendly, peaceful community..." of Vorloi, the Baron's family seat and trade town. K:KoA also notes that "Baron Vorloi deals with all Karameikans alike, regardless of heritage..." - perhaps this is an indication that the Vorlois might not have a hang-up about where their residences in Specularum might be located?
Still, he is one of the richest people in Karameikos, and, while he may not care about the Thyatian/Traladaran issue, he (and especially his brother) would still reside in upper-class areas. This is especially true of Fortunato, of course, while the Baron's guesthouse might well be in a middle-class area. However, since these two buildings are quite near, we should consider both the constraints.

GP
I’ve been pondering on the location of this area within Specularum. Here’s my latest thoughts, based on agathokles’ analysis…

Can we locate “Rattlebone Lane” in Bricktop, as shown on the map below?

Bricktop is described in GAZ1 as: “…a more or less affluent area of town, halfway between the posh residences of The Hill and the Merchant District.” It is “…characterized by small to medium-sized expensive homes; The population here is mainly of Thyatian descent, Many merchants, ministerial aides, and other well-paid persons live here.”

So, Fortunato, Turano and Thanato – all Thyatian - could be found in Bricktop; and if we place the houses near Bricktop’s boundary with the Old Quarter, then the Rattlebone Inn (or the second inn nearby) could be sited in the Old Quarter. I appreciate that this isn't real upper-class, but with the Torenescu influence on The Hill, I feel that the Vorloi clan would want to be located elsewhere. The only other upper-class area< I guess, is the Church District, but I don't think this area fits with the module B6 adventure....

More detailed area (not to scale)

It does move Fortunato further from the harbour as scorbane suggested, but this is probably as close to the harbour it’s possible to be while being in a well-to-do area, so it probably satisfies that condition too.

As always, I welcome comment,
regards,
AllanP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

Hi,

what's the situation with the project? Has real world intervened?

Our campaign is now working with the scenario "Stuffed Heads and Leathal" weddings, and most action is taking place at the
Hunters' Guild houses outside city limits, so I do not have anything new to contribute.
The only sin is selfishness. So said the good Doctor.
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Ville Lahde wrote: what's the situation with the project? Has real world intervened?
Yes, I'm quite busy at work (three deadlines and one EU project review this month, plus I'm late with grading exams...) and I'm also playing a lot of Call of Cthulhu and Star Wars RPG (and I'll also play the adventure I posted last month at some time in the future).
Which means I've had no time to concentrate on Specularum. I hope I'll be able to work on more Specularum locales and NPCs in April, though.

GP

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

Ville Lahde wrote:what's the situation with the project? Has real world intervened?
Hi -

I'm in a similar state to agathokles - Real World has kept me distracted from Specularum. Various projects and planning foir a couple of special family occasions have taken time and energy (and will continue to do so over the next few months), but I'm hopeful to re-start mapping of the Foreign Quarter by the beginning of April...

regards,
AllanP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

That's what I thought. Yup, it's been busy here too. Fortunately I wrote the adventures of our present campaign 14 years ago, and as
we are using FATE RPG, GM preparation needs are small. Thus we've managed to keep our game going on. Otherwise Mystara time has
been limited to typing Mystaran proverbs during breaks.

We are going to have a break of about a month, plus we try out a snazzy new game called "3:16" from time to time (try it!), but in May
the latest I get to tackle my rewrite of Davinos's Complaint, and after that possibly a variant of the Veiled Society.
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

At last, I've got some time to write down more stuff for Specularum.
Here you can find three new buildings, from the Bricktop area.

The Scriveners' Guildhall neighbourhood

The Scriveners' Guildhall
Located at the end of Bricktop road, near the Great Market, the Guildhall is a four-story building, with a protuding turret on its corner. The ground floor is occupied by two halls -- the entrance, and the meeting hall. The meeting hall opens on a small courtyard, while the entrance hall opens on Bricktop road, and gives access to both the meeting hall, and the upper floors.
The first floor is divided in many small rooms, used by the Consuls and the Guildmaster as offices and council rooms. The second and third floor are occupied by the the famed library of the Scriveners' Guild. The library collects tomes on law (mostly on the second floor), with smaller sections on economics and political topics (third floor).
Notable tomes include The Administration of Empire, written by Thyatian Emperor Alexandros II Dalessenos, the Oratory by Paphocuzitum, and the Rhetoric by Stroznner. A copy of the classical text on Traladara by Governor-General Elena Hassenberg (the third Thyatian governor of Traladara after Flavian Osteropulos) can also be found in the library. Texts on the history of Thyatis, Traladara and Darokin (including the Lynnell edition of the Lay of Almarand) are collected on the third floor as well.
A ``secret'' section is located in the third level of the turret (accessed through stairs from the upper level of the library). It is a single bookcase covering half of the curved wall of the turret, and it is protected by a trapped lock. Only the Guildmaster and Consul Igor Wolf (who is in charge of the maintainance of the library) have access to this area.
The secret library contains a number of secret documents related to Guild politics, as well as a few restricted access books (access to the library is otherwise allowed even to non-members), such as the works of Fabritius Luscinia, and a couple of tomes on alchemy and magic, collected by previous Guildmasters, including the magnum opus of one of Karameikos' wizardly luminaries, Krollan's Artifacta Arcanum.

The Golden Book
Right next to the Scriveners' Guildhall is a small inn and restaurant, The Golden Book.
The restaurant's walls are lined with dark woods and leathers, making it appear even smaller. It features a dozen small tables on ground floor, plus two smaller dining rooms at first floor, while the second floor has four single rooms, often rented by visiting scholars, and the last floor houses the innkeeper's family.
The Golden Book is an upscale establishment, where somber waiters in dark uniforms serve mostly Thyatian and New Karameikan cuisine with imported wines (the innkeeper, Lucius Falernianus, is a conoisseur reputed to have one of the best collections in Specularum) and some local light beers and ciders.
Lord Bartram Cordelius, the Minister of Trade, and doctor Antonius Marcianus, a prominent judge and a Consul of the Scriveners' Guild, can be often found here at lunchtime or in the evening.

The Priest and Jug
Just opposite of The Golden Book lies this much rougher establishment. ``Decorated'' mostly by humorous (and often vulgar) graffiti, the Priest and Jug is the haven of the New Karameikan students. The walls are periodically tinted white by the owner, Pyotr Caesarion, but are immediately covered with new writings.
Caesarion, a drop-out student of Law who managed to put his hand on a good amount of gold in his first (and last, as he swears) attempt at adventuring and invested it in the establishment, serves simple but nutritious dishes of meat and vegetables, together with good beer. He is helped by a single serving girl, Marina, and the cook, Vika, an aged Traladaran woman.
The generally friendly atmosphere sometimes (especially late at night, when everyone has had too many drinks) degenerates when students of ``pure'' Traladaran or Thyatian descent come in to stir trouble.
During the day, besides the students, Caesarion's maternal grandfather hangs out at the Priest and Jug with a small clique of retired Traladaran scriveners. The aged gentlemen spend every afternoon playing cards and critiquing every item of news they can get.
Last edited by agathokles on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

I've just updated the list of buildings for the Old Quarter with links to three establishments by mister c, which I had forgotten to link :oops:

GP

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky »

oh that is interesting. :D

off-topic question from a computer-illiterate.... what kind of program would one use to make those kind of additions on an existing map.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

micky wrote:oh that is interesting. :D

off-topic question from a computer-illiterate.... what kind of program would one use to make those kind of additions on an existing map.
Uhm, right now I'm just updating the list in the first post of this thread, as the maps for Old Quarter and Bricktop are not under work jet.
To edit an existing map, it mostly depends on which program was used to create it. Vectorial maps can be edited easily, though mostly using the same program that was used to make them originally. Bitmap maps can be edited with any image editing program (gimp, paint, etc.), but the results are never as good as with vectorial images.

GP

micky
Cloud Giant

Post by micky »

googling 'vectoral maps' :lol:

thanks... sorry for going off your topic there. Sometimes you all just have to smack me once good across the jaw.

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

Nice to see new buildings. These will be very useful indeed.

This thursday we will finally get to continue our campaign. First a short trip to the lands of Dimitrov, and if the PCs survive, we will return to
Specularum.

My next idea is to link together a few threads from the Gazetteer and the B6 module:

The PCs are right now working secretly for Torenescu. When they return to
the city, their liason - none other than Lord Dmitros - will contact them, as he fears for Alexander's life. Boris has began to implement his plan.
He has contracted operatives of Veiled Society to slip incrementally acting poison into Alexander's food/drink/whatever.
(Boris of course does not know that Veiled Society is controlled by the Radus.)
Thus Boris does not have to dirty his hands (the adventure seed in the Gaz is a bit silly, as it implicated Boris from the outset). The PCs and
Dimitors may have good reason to suspect him but no evidence. So they will have to go after the poisoners.

At the same time Veiled Society has launched their new master plan. (The Torenescu assassination is part of a longer term plan to get the
new Torenescu leader into their claws, but as it is relatively simple, they don't have to pay much attention to it.) They want to break
the independence of the Vorloi faction in trade. So they bully the allies of the Vorloi's by killing Fortunato's Daugter (from B6 of course) and
by kidnapping Marianna Vorloi.
(Of perhaps the assassination is a bit too enthusiastic move by the ringleader of the assassination squad - Antonito. Perhaps Antonito's
son is personally leading the squad?)

The assassination at Fortunato's house is done by the same VC cell as the poisoning of Alexander Torenescu, so they have a good chance of
learning about the murder before anyone else - in any case, they can learn about the tunnels from the Turano house to Fortunato's house. (This
seems to me a more interesting idea than having "Goodwife Thanato" ask them to clear a cellar...)
I would also eliminate the "RADU" message in blood, since it is unlikely that Lucia would have had this knowledge, not to mention
a bit silly considering the whole investigation motive. Instead the PCs can find some clues in the Turano house and the surroundings in order
to try and track the assassin squad - depending on their luck, timing and previous actions, they might catch some of them in the
house itself! The point however is that the connection between the Fortunato hit and the Torenescu poisoning opens up a window
of possibility for the PCs to gain insight into the workings of the inner circle of the VC. [In our campaign they have thus far only tackled
with their periphery during the first two scenarios of my Specularum Series and my redraft of Davinos's Complaint.]

Depending on the activities, resources, interest and luck the PCs may or may not learn about Marianne's kidnapping, which is done by
a separate (and higher up) cell of the Veiled Society, one perhaps controlled by Cartha (to stay true to the Cartha-Antonito-schism of B6).
If they do, they are bound to realise the connection, that the target is the Vorloi family. They might be able to learn something from the
Vorloi, but they may be too high up for them to reach.

The next events depends of course on how far the PCs have gotten in their investigation, how the Torenescu assassination plot is advancing,
and whether the assassination squad is still effective - as B6 suggests, Antonito may have sicced his assassins on the PCs, but it could be vice versa.
(So they may be an opportunity to use elemenst of the B6 Ambush plotline or the Chase plotline.)
IF the situation warrants it, Anton orders Zweiss's demagogues to try and turn the public against the Torenescus. (If the PCs have eliminated
the suspicions against the Torenescus in the Fortunato affair, it is of course that much harder.) The context the PCs have to work in is
of course very variable: Do they have to worry about Alexander's health at this time? Is Boris still plotting - if he is, he may devise a new
and more direct plan. One possibility is that Lord Dmitros asks the PCs to capture Alexander and remove him from harm's way so Boris
will not get to him (due to Alexander's personality, this may prove difficult).
If Zweiss's men are successful, the PCs may have to work in the midst of riots breaking out in the city. Their severity of course depends on
the general situation within the city. [In our campaign the VC tries to use the class divisions within the Traladaran people: the Torenescus
may be Traladaran, but they are rich and powerful, their friends in the court. All concessions (like the recent tax cuts after Davinos's
complaint was agreed to) go to their friends and allies yadda yadda yadda.]

So the PCs have to work in a much more difficult environment, regardless of what they are doing. There are now three possible (and
possibly parallel) entry points into the heart of the VC: 1) Antonito's assassination squad; 2) Zweiss's demagogues; 3) Cartha's kidnapper
squad.
At the same time, in official circles Anton is making noises in the Merchant Guild in order to take advantage of the hold on the Vorloi
faction. This, of course, implicitly offers some insight into the VC/Radu connection, if the PCs can put eveything back together.

As in this version the three cells work independently (which would fit a criminal organisation much better than the unbelievably
vulnerable structure of B6), the PCs will not simply stumble into the heart of VC as in the "Chase" plotline of B6. (But one might
use the Blue Water Mead hall as the HQ of Cartha's squad, for example.) Instead they have the chance to gather sensitive
information about the VC/Radu connection from a variety of sources, and they really have to work in order to expose the
Radus.

Anton will of course try to deny any involvement. And his status of course depends on whether Marianne was recovered and whether
he managed to gain upper hand on the Vorloi. The situation of Torenescus, and thus the resources available for the PCs, can end
up in very different ways. In conclusion, this redraft of these various scenarios offers us a more complex and less
railroading/simple version of events, and a story where the future of all three great families hangs in the balance.

I am also thinking about using Giampaolo's excellent Traladaran timeline in the Vaults to spice up the depictions of the
three families. it would be nice to have some historical context to this struggle.
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Thanks, Ville. BTW, I think we have enough NPC to start consolidating the NPC section of the book. Would you have some quick stats for the NPCs from your campaign? I'm thinking of giving them a full description with OD&D stats, and I'd like to have an idea of what kind of class/level/alignment you envisioned for them.

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

Ouch. I wrote the scenarios originally in generic form with schematic stats, and currently we are playing
in FATE RPG, which does not convert well. Which NPCs do you plan on using in the book? Make a list,
and I will try to give some pointers to the characters. Some of the most important ones here from
the first Specularum adventure:
(I have given other details earlier):

Tegell (From "Painted Bay...")
- He may even be NM, since he is not dangerous because of his stats but his resources and quile.
- His alignment is neutral in the sense that he looks out for number one but can be trusted to keep
some promises.
- Disquise is an important skill, and negotiation of course.
- Crooked smile and shining eyes, a good speaker.
- You can make him more powerful by giving him some one-use magic for tough spots?

Al-Azrad (Ylari gang leader from FQ)
- I would make him fairly powerful, but levels depend on the standard you plan to use in the book.
Still, very hard opponent for beginning characters, a tough one even after a few scenarios.
- Definitely Lawful due to his traditionalism and religious zeal. However, he does not care about
the Duke's law much.
- A magic sword would fit, one with a Al-Kalimite name.

Zila (Ierendian Gang leader from FQ)
- Zila is a ruthless pirate and a fairly tough opponent. Perhaps a thief with good stats and skills.
If beginning PCs gang up on her, she can be brought down.
- Zila is chaotic, definitely.

Narm Muskalin (Ylari gang leader from FQ)
- He can be a NM, but if you wish leadership status to be reflected in stats, a fighter perhaps.
Narim is not exceptionally powerful, his resources come from alliances and trade.
- His addiction and berserker fits make him unpredicable, but I'd go for neutral.
- Liver spots, jaundice.

Kartak (Dwarven gang leader from FQ)
- He is trustworthy and does not cause trouble if not necessary, so Lawful might fit in a way
despite his criminal acts.
- Heavy drinker, good battle commander
- Same power level as Al-Azrad
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Ville Lahde wrote:Ouch. I wrote the scenarios originally in generic form with schematic stats, and currently we are playing
in FATE RPG, which does not convert well. Which NPCs do you plan on using in the book? Make a list,
and I will try to give some pointers to the characters. Some of the most important ones here from
the first Specularum adventure:
There's a full list of the NPCs we've collected up to now here.

As for the power level, I'm going for the Gazetteer power-level. So the typical "competent combatant" NPC (e.g., Iron Ring agents, army lieutenants) is low Expert or high Basic level (3-5), while veterans, higher ranking officers, weapon masters and the like range in the mid-upper Expert level (6-10). I'm not going to introduce NPCs of levels higher than 10, with a single exception (Corbula Vespasian, one of the first knights and the weapon master of the Order of the Griffon, who is statted as a 13th level Fighter to make him a good weapon mastery instructor), since these high level NPCs would be as powerful as the most important NPCs (the Duke, the Patriarchs, Teldon and Bargle).

NM represent people who have no interest and training for combat. Narim and Tegell could well be NM. Leadership status can derive from Charisma and general skills.
Tough opponents for beginning PCs may be about level 3 or 4. Zila could then be a T3 or T4 , Kartak and Al-Azrad would be level 5 or 6.

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

Thanks. I had missed that listing. Man, it is getting pretty extensive indeed.

The power levels seem good.

I am not sure how much time I have to devote to making actual stats, as at the moment I am running two campaigns
(while trying to keep busy with the real world), both of them with FATE at the time. My main campaign is run on
OD&D, 20+ years now, but at the moment we are playing an experimental FATE section. We will be back with OD&D
soon enough, but Cyclopedia is gathering dust and disk fragmentation right now.

But I will try to provide you with essentials in the next two weeks.

- Iain M. Banks

Return to “Mystara”