[FC:Specularum] Notable buildings by district

Weird red metals, dominions, immortals, hollow planets, invisible moons, and a lot of glorified magic zeppelins. It's all here.
The Book-House: Find Mystara products, Find Known World products.

Moderators: Seer of Yhog, Gawain_VIII, Havard, Cthulhudrew

Ville Lahde
Troll

Re: [FC:Specularum] Notable buildings by district

Post by Ville Lahde »

One quick thought: I think that Foreign Quarter is unlikely to have a substantial elven population - especially sylvan elven. I would think that most of Callarii and other sylvan elves in the city have part of the Duke's Forest reserved for them, as the Elvenguard is such an important part of the Duke's power. We must remember that the Callarii are de fact a nation within a nation, with their own social systems. So it is very likely that special arrangements are made for the
elven population that is needed as a support structure for the Elvenguard.

But of course there will be the occasional "loose leaf" (adventuring elf in the Alfheimer jargon) who has settled into city life, and some Minrothadian elves etc.

The only sin is selfishness. So said the good Doctor.
- Iain M. Banks

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

Foreign Quarter Design Notes

This has taken lonmger than I planned asW things have tended to take precedence.

The accumulated notes and initial district map can be found here

Any comments?
I hope to start drawing the street level map towards the end of the week.

regards,
AllanP
"...a wanderer on the streets of Specularum"
My Specularum website includes Specularum City maps and FC1 Work In Progress

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

AllanP wrote:Foreign Quarter Design Notes
Any comments?
I hope to start drawing the street level map towards the end of the week.
The Foreign Quarter, being relatively new and mostly populated by foreigners, doesn't have a representation in the town political life. There isn't also a single patron, since the inhabitants are members of one of the several foreign cults, especially the highly polytheistic Church of Darokin, as well as the cults of the High Heroes, Kagyar, Augrism, and the Eternal Truth.

City Jail
The jail is a massive, squat sandstone building of the Thyatian period, though built mostly by dwarven masons on a dwarven engineer's plan. The designer, one Bohrur Stonecleaver of Highforge, tried to mix a classical Thyatian architectural style with the typical dwarven construction, resulting in a low, rectangular building topped by an incongruous pediment. Exagonal turrets flank the front of the building, providing a degree of defense to the entrance gate -- the only weak spot in the otherwise massive outer wall. A small courtyard opens beyond the entrance gate, and gives access to the guard rooms, the kitchens, and the offices. The cells are located on the first story.
The dwarves had been commissioned this work by Duke Stefan, when it became clear that the Hightower could not serve as the only prison in the town.
Since the Foreign Quarter was experiencing a significant increase in petty crimes -- brawls, pickpocketing, and muggings -- but wasn't as out of control as the Nest, the Karameikan government chose to locate it at there.
Nowadays, the Hightower is only used for temporary detention and for imprisoned nobles or political prisoners that should not come in contact with other inmates.
Escaping the City Jail is not impossible, but is very difficult, since the dwarven construction gave the wall extra thickness. It is rumored that the dwarves built a secret exit passage, to prevent the humans from using it to imprison their own -- however, only Bohrur is likely to know the truth on the matter, and the old dwarf doesn't leave Highforge anymore.

Note: I'd put the Jail in one of the open areas -- one doesn't want people to build too close to a jail, to avoid break-ins.

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Foreigners' Graveyard
This plot of open ground has been used as graveyard for more than a century. Its use dates back to the time before the Thyatian invasion, when a Minrothad merchantman was destroyed by a fire. The bodies of thirteen sailors were recovered, but could not be buried at sea, for the season was late and no more Minrothaddan ships were expected. Thus, the dead sailors were interred in a common grave just out of the city walls.
Since that time, foreigners who die in Specularum and are not cremated (in that case the urns can be sent back to their homeland) are laid to rest in this area, which is now dotted with small tombstones.
A few crypts were also built to hold the most notable residents of the Foreign Quarter, including the senior agents of House Hallonica and the Augrist priests (none of them has yet died on Karameikan grounds, but the dwarves like to be prepared).

Rumors of undead haunting abound, but the most immediate threat in the area comes for much more mundane villains: Minrothaddan and Hin gangs both claim the graveyard as part of their territory, and brawls and small scale battles often take place during the night.

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

This is sooo spooky, man. When I played my adventure "The Painted Bay...The Bloodied streets" (http://pandius.com/dye_adv.html)
about 15 years ago, the locations of Ylari and Dwarven areas were practically the same!

Tomorrow I will have time to make some drafts for the first scenario of my Specularum campaign. We will play out the above mentioned
scenario first, so this is very useful to me. If I come up with anything interesting, I will post it.

The adventure focuses on Tegell, a crooked Ierendian dye merchant who is depicted in the scenario. There are also some short descriptions
of the Foreign Quarter. I am not sure about the quality though, as the thing is from 1993...
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Ville Lahde wrote:This is sooo spooky, man. When I played my adventure "The Painted Bay...The Bloodied streets" (http://pandius.com/dye_adv.html)
about 15 years ago, the locations of Ylari and Dwarven areas were practically the same!

Tomorrow I will have time to make some drafts for the first scenario of my Specularum campaign. We will play out the above mentioned
scenario first, so this is very useful to me. If I come up with anything interesting, I will post it.

The adventure focuses on Tegell, a crooked Ierendian dye merchant who is depicted in the scenario. There are also some short descriptions
of the Foreign Quarter. I am not sure about the quality though, as the thing is from 1993...
Indeed, we've used the Specularum adventure series as an inspiration: you'll note that the set of guilds, for example, includes the Hunters' and Dyers' guilds from the series :)

GP

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

Thank you, agathokles and Ville Lande for your feedback.

GP - thanks for the write up on the City Jail and Foreigners' Graveyard.
I wasn't entirely happy with my placement for the Jail; my intention was that it woul occupy a city block on the northern edge of the FQ, but your description helped me coalesce my thoughts. As you can see from the image below, I've moved the Jail location (J) to where I originally had the Foreigners' Fraveyard. I've extrapolated from your description and decided that the Jail perimeter is haxagonal in shape (to fit the street position) and the main building within that perimeter will be a massive square building; the hexagonal shape sort of ties in with your mention of hexagonal turrets on eith side of the mai gate. How does that sound?
Consequently I've relocated the Foreigners' Graveyard (K), which I think now covers a larger area than I'd previously given to it. However, this move doesn't fit well with your indication that Hin and Mionrothad gangs are at odds over claims to the area... perhaps I need to relocate the Minrothad area...?

Ville - any input you have on the area from youir campaign will be most useful. It will be good to know where we can locate "Tegell, a crooked Ierendian dye merchant "; in fact, I'd be glad of help in naming the streets of this area!.

Updated draft design notes are here

Look forward to hearing more...
regards,
AllanP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

AllanP wrote: I wasn't entirely happy with my placement for the Jail; my intention was that it woul occupy a city block on the northern edge of the FQ, but your description helped me coalesce my thoughts. As you can see from the image below, I've moved the Jail location (J) to where I originally had the Foreigners' Fraveyard. I've extrapolated from your description and decided that the Jail perimeter is haxagonal in shape (to fit the street position) and the main building within that perimeter will be a massive square building; the hexagonal shape sort of ties in with your mention of hexagonal turrets on eith side of the mai gate. How does that sound?
Consequently I've relocated the Foreigners' Graveyard (K), which I think now covers a larger area than I'd previously given to it. However, this move doesn't fit well with your indication that Hin and Mionrothad gangs are at odds over claims to the area... perhaps I need to relocate the Minrothad area...?
Well, maybe you could move the Minrothad area south of the Jail, and maybe the Jail itself further west -- we could then assume that the west-most part of the Foreign Quarter would be less ethnically defined, and less dangerous as well, due to the presence of the Jail personnel.

GP

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

agathokles wrote:Well, maybe you could move the Minrothad area south of the Jail, and maybe the Jail itself further west -- we could then assume that the west-most part of the Foreign Quarter would be less ethnically defined, and less dangerous as well, due to the presence of the Jail personnel.
In the more etnically mixed quarters, you could have certain buildings associated with specific countries. For instance, it would be cool to see a Redstone Bar. As with the Irish and their bars, Norwegians set up churches in coastal towns all over the world, due to our history as saiors. These sailor's churches served as a social meeting place, providing food and news from home to sailors. Perhaps Mystaran Antalians also set up similar temples in Known World towns?

Ofcourse an Ochalean quarter and a couple of Ylari Kebab stands would be fun too :mrgreen:

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

agathokles wrote:Well, maybe you could move the Minrothad area south of the Jail, and maybe the Jail itself further west -- we could then assume that the west-most part of the Foreign Quarter would be less ethnically defined, and less dangerous as well, due to the presence of the Jail personnel.

GP
I think' I'll move the Mionrothad neighbourhood (including the Augrist Temple) east so that it borders both the Foreigners' Gravewyard and the Hin neighbourhood, as well as occupying some of the bliocks south of the Jail. This means the westr end of the Fpreign Quarter will have no distinct ethnic neighbourhood and is more of a "melting pot". Abd, as I think, as been noted before, there could be some individuals whose nationalities have distinct neighbourhoods who might have opted to reside in the west end....
AllanP

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

Havard wrote:In the more etnically mixed quarters, you could have certain buildings associated with specific countries. For instance, it would be cool to see a Redstone Bar. As with the Irish and their bars, Norwegians set up churches in coastal towns all over the world, due to our history as saiors. These sailor's churches served as a social meeting place, providing food and news from home to sailors. Perhaps Mystaran Antalians also set up similar temples in Known World towns?

Ofcourse an Ochalean quarter and a couple of Ylari Kebab stands would be fun too :mrgreen:

Havard
Yes, I think the western end of the FQ lends itself to this sort of mixture, as opposed to the potential "turf wars" of theother parts of the district. As K:KoA indicates, Ethengar barbarian, Glantri mage, etc might pop up in the area. Probably some interestimng livestock? Not your plain old everyday stables? I keep thinking there'll be plenty of spice merchants, and the market areas will be packed witj small shops and stalls. Hmm, just remenered I should stick a couple og Granaries in there, probably at the west end near the Westron Road gate, and the odd warehouse of sorts.

Must try and get some ideas for street names in the FQ...

regards,
AllanP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

AllanP wrote: Yes, I think the western end of the FQ lends itself to this sort of mixture, as opposed to the potential "turf wars" of theother parts of the district. As K:KoA indicates, Ethengar barbarian, Glantri mage, etc might pop up in the area. Probably some interestimng livestock? Not your plain old everyday stables? I keep thinking there'll be plenty of spice merchants, and the market areas will be packed witj small shops and stalls. Hmm, just remenered I should stick a couple og Granaries in there, probably at the west end near the Westron Road gate, and the odd warehouse of sorts.
Indeed. Moreover, the Elven residents of the Foreign Quarter would probably live near the Westron Road, since that's where the Foreign Quarter borders the Duke's Park.

GP

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

Hi -
Just a quick update...
RW things have taken precedence over the last 2 or 3 weeks, and I'm in the process of transferring things to a nnew PC.
So... mapping the districts of Specularum has taken a back seat for a while. But I plan to retirn to the Foreign Quarter before too long!

regards,
AllanP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

We began the new Specularum campaign last week, but December is a bit hectic. Next session might be on the 18th, and hopefully we will make our
way into the Foreign Quarter. If I get the time, I will draft a couple of ethnic gangs (Ylari, Ierendi, Dwarven) to the eastern section of FQ. Tegell the dye merchant is most likely protected by a group of Ierendi thugs, former mercenaries/adventurers who have formed a protection racket.

In the first session the PCs were hired by Tegell (in disquise) to raid a herb store, but it was a trap and a diversion. Tegell leaked the information for the
Veiled Society and the Guards. Now the PCs have a couple of days to find Tegell, before they either sleep with the fish or are incarcerated (and then sleep with the fish). In the coming secions of the adventure I will have to draft something on the dyers' guild, the tailors' guild, some rich tailors etc. If I get anything
interesting done, I will post it here.

The ideas on the difference between the western and eastern sides of FQ sound cool. I will use them immediately. Thanks.
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Here is a description for one of the building, the ruined church in the Church District. Maps for the first three levels will follow.

The Ruined Church
(Church District)
Standing on the northernmost tip of the Church District, in an area now mostly occupied by granaries and warehouses, is a ruined Traladaran temple, the new Church of St. Rybich of the Bay.
There was indeed, since before the time of the Traladaran Wars, an old Church of St. Rybich of the Bay, which was built on the northernmost point of the coast, where now the outer tower of the River Gate stands and served the fishermen that, at the time, populated three-quarters of what is now the Church District.
That construction was, for defense purposes, converted to military use and integrated in the town walls -- part of it can still be accessed, though it is now underground, and is used as a military depot.

A new temple was built within the protection of the city walls, but was later heavily damaged in the Thyatian conquest of Marilenev, as the Thyatian navy bombarded the district with incendiary missiles. As one of the few stone buildings, the church was not completely destroyed.
However, given the lack of Traladaran population and the vast tracts of unoccupied estate produced by the almost complete destruction of the rest of the district, the Church of St. Rybich was not repaired, and the area remained mostly untouched by the great building campaigns of General-Governor Flavian Osteropulos first, and Patriarch Olliver Jowett later.

Nowadays, the temple lays in complete disrepair, and only recently there have been any talks of cleaning up the area and re-using the land for a new block of townhouses.
Indeed, the Church seems to have never attracted criminals or even vagrants, even though it is known to have a large crypt that could serve as a refuge. Actually, even though the area is much less patrolled than the rest of the Church District, it was never targeted by any of the known gangs, and no local gangs seem to exist as well.
The only complaints came after the construction of the new granaries near the ruins, when some abnormally damaging rat infestations were suspected to have originated from there. However, no proof was found, and the cost of cleaning up the ruins was considered too high to be worth the effort -- especially since the rat infestations decreased in time to more usual rates.

Truth is, the old church is connected to the district sewers via its crypt, and the sewers serve as the headquarters of a small and very secretive gang of wererat smugglers from Thyatis, led by one Publius Musculus (Thief 7/Greater Wererat 7, Neutral).
These wererats are not part of the larger wererat clan led by Decius Andronicus, whose territory lays under the Hill and Market Districts. The Traladaran wererats of Anastasia Rodinos also do not know of Musculus' gang, as they mostly avoid the Church District.
Musculus' wererats live in a symbiotic relation with the people of Church District: they keep the district clear of other thieves (especially the Veiled Society), and in return use the district as their base and market for smuggling, as well as supplementing their income with some burglary.

Using the Ruined Church
The Ruined Church of St. Rybich is designed as a dungeon for a short adventure for characters of low Expert level, but can be adjusted for adventurers ranging from Basic to Companion levels.

The Ruined Church dungeon is composed of four levels: the church itself, the crypt, the sewers, and the Nithian fortress.
The church is basically empty. Only the outer walls are standing, and the side entrances have been gutted by artillery shots. The wooden roof burned off, leaving the interior exposed and the floor is littered with broken pieces of the columns and statues that once adorned the church. A pair of steep stairs lead to the crypt.

The crypt has a central room, with a fine marble floor and well preserved statues and altars. A wide corridor gives access to various burial chambers and treasure halls. A few doors have been evidently shut with brick and mortar walls, locking off two empty rooms. Breaking down these walls is easy, but will alert the wererats who guard the sewer entrance. Most other chambers contain the tombs of ancient Traladaran patriarchs -- plundered decades ago.
A set of secret doors blocks the access to the treasure room in the northwestern corner of the crypt complex.
The treasures of the church still lies in a pair of coffers, guarded by a Gargoyle (replace it with a living statue, or golem if appropriate to the level of the characters). A hidden trapdoor forms the final layer of defense.

The sewers level is composed of the sewers and an adjoining cave complex that leads both out of the city and into the lowest level of the dungeon. The wereat lair is also part of the cave complex. A half dozen wererats, Musculus' gang, live in the area (these are lesser wererats of NM level; adjust as appropriate to the level of the adventurers).
The sewers are not the most healthy place to stay for non-wererats, though. After a number of hours equal to 1/3 their Constitution score, the heroes will have to pass a ST vs Poison to avoid being infected with a disease of the DM's choice. The saving throw must be repeated every Constitution/3 hours thereafter.

The lowest level of the dungeon is what remains of the ancient fortress established by the first Traldar who settled the region. The fortress was later claimed by a Hutaakan priest-king, whose body was laid in a Nithian-style sarcophagus.
The Hutaakan priest-king is now a Mummy (change to a Wight for Basic levels, or to a Lich Cleric for Companion levels).
The priest-king will generally be hostile to invaders of the fortress level -- he expects them to be tomb raiders -- but is of Neutral alignment and can be reasoned with. However, there is really little that adventurers could offer him besides leaving in peace, unless they know of the Lost Valley of Hutaaka. Information about the history of Hutaaka is, indeed, one of the few things the priest-king may be interested in.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Here are the maps of the ruined church and its lower levels.
  1. Ruins of the Church of St. Rybich of the Bay
  2. Church Crypt
  3. Sewers and Wererat Caves

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

P.S., I've also updated the first post of this and the other major Specularum thread, adding crosslinks and links to the completed district maps.

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

Hullo, and happy new year. Here's a few notes on the Foreign Quarter from our ongoing game. Next thursday we will have a big showdown in the
FQ, as the PCs track down Tegell. I sketched a few ethnic gangs and their leaders, so they might be useful to you:

"The Breakwater", the Ierendian gang that controls the easternmost blocks of FQ. They are led by the ex-pirate Zila, who was landlocked after se broke her leg in a battle and was "voted out" from her captain's seat. Zila is no beauty, with a lot of scars, but she is quick as a cat and deadly. She has organised a protection racket in the area and wants to take over areas from other ethnic gangs. She has five experienced fighters from her pirating days and twelve lesser thugs.
HQ: an old warehouse with a good tactical location, inside fashioned ship-like

"The Swords of Kalim", the more aggressive one of the Ylarian gangs, controls the southern and the eastern blocks of the Ylari area. These areas have a more prominent nomad population, with a lot of tents, tent pavilions and other such semi-temporary structures. The Swords are led by Ahmad Al-Azred, a fanatic follower of the Kin faction. He despises city-dwelling Ylari. (Ahmad figures also in the Specularum series adventure "Omens and Portents".) The gang extracts revenue from the locals, but due to the ascetic lifestyle of Ahmad's followers, they do not need much. Their main motivation is not economic but cultural: they want to keep the area free of infidels and hazar. Ahmad has 24 nomad warriors in his "court" and is a hard man to reach. He has dark, deep-set eyes and a cruel voice. He likes to keep long uncomfortable silences to reveal the true nature of the people he is dealing with.
HQ: Bivouac erected in a ruined area.

"Myrrh of the Night" is a rich but relatively small prostitution racket led by Narim Muskalin, an Ylarian aesthete and bohemian. He is a true hazar: a ctiy-dweller who has been cut from his Alasiyan roots, at least as far as the nomads are concerned. Narim employs a motley crew of prostitutes of various
races, sexes and persuasions, who are protected by a dozen Ylari goons. Forays by the Swords of Kalim to purge the hazar areas of the Ylari district tax his strength and wallet, and he has thus forged an alliance with the dwarves, long-time cultural friends. He has also developed a nasty addiction for thw dwarven mushroom moonshine, resulting in the occasional fit of berserk rage.
HQ: Brothel "Myrrh of the Night"

The dwarven gang has no name, as they do not need one. They are led by the seasoned veteran Kartak, one of the most ill-tempered men in the whole Specularum. His voice has been scarred by decades of a nasty habit he picked in Ylaruam: he drinks dwarven moonshine by mixing it with some hot cooking oil simmered in hot chili peppers. Kartak and his friends thrive by selling hallucinatory mushroom moonshine and protect the local dwarves at no cost. Currently they are also protecting Narim's gang, as Kartak likes city-dwelling Ylari. He hates Ahmad Al-Azred, as he considers him a hypocritical, utterly boring religious fanatic who would not know a good party even if he was tied to a chair and forced to have a good time. But there is no harm in trying...
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Ville Lahde wrote:Hullo, and happy new year. Here's a few notes on the Foreign Quarter from our ongoing game. Next thursday we will have a big showdown in the
FQ, as the PCs track down Tegell. I sketched a few ethnic gangs and their leaders, so they might be useful to you:
Thanks! I especially liked the Dwarven gang :)
Explanation attempt: oil with chili peppers happen to hit a few cultural stereotypes here, so I'm now picturing Kartak with a very strong Calabrian accent, which happens to be quite fitting for dwarves :D

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

The chili-shot is based on an actual bar owner in Kathmandu, whom my old friend met on his travels. The bar owner distilled his own
spirits and used to pour some boiling chili oil on the shot. The trick was to drink the alcohol without having to touch the hot oil with
one's lips. Needless to say, the man's voice was like an old tractor engine revvying up.

We will play "Omens and Portents" next, which should produce some more on FQ and possible on the shabbier areas of the city, as it deals with
drug trafficking.
- Iain M. Banks

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

Ville Lahde wrote:The chili-shot is based on an actual bar owner in Kathmandu, whom my old friend met on his travels. The bar owner distilled his own
spirits and used to pour some boiling chili oil on the shot. The trick was to drink the alcohol without having to touch the hot oil with
one's lips. Needless to say, the man's voice was like an old tractor engine revvying up.
:D
We will play "Omens and Portents" next, which should produce some more on FQ and possible on the shabbier areas of the city, as it deals with
drug trafficking.
Good, I think the Foreign Quarter needs the added detail -- it's giving it character and life.

GP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

You were asking for suggestions for street names. Here's a couple that I came up with:

* Minrothad area:
- Silver Purge alley must be there, with some local colour :twisted:
- Merchant Prince Street
- Guilder street

* Ylari area:
- there might be a couple of steets that have dual names, which the ethnic groups use:
- Prophet's Way/Preceptor Street
- Oasis alley/Well alley (leads to a small clearing with a well?)
- Ylaruam street/Abbashan alley

* Dwarven area:
- Mushroom street (with a bar called "Mushroom cloud"?)
- Battleaxe boulevard
- Wyrwarf way
- Denwarf's Way

I suggest also a differing topography for these areas. The Darokinian area might be beautifully laid out, with geometrically planned
street/avenue system (with addresses even?) or something like that, whereas the Ylari area especially is more mixed. The Hin area of course might have some small parks or underground dwellings etc.
- Iain M. Banks

AllanP
Storm Giant

Post by AllanP »

Ville Lahde wrote:You were asking for suggestions for street names. Here's a couple that I came up with:

* Minrothad area:
- Silver Purge alley must be there, with some local colour :twisted:
- Merchant Prince Street
- Guilder street

* Ylari area:
- there might be a couple of steets that have dual names, which the ethnic groups use:
- Prophet's Way/Preceptor Street
- Oasis alley/Well alley (leads to a small clearing with a well?)
- Ylaruam street/Abbashan alley

* Dwarven area:
- Mushroom street (with a bar called "Mushroom cloud"?)
- Battleaxe boulevard
- Wyrwarf way
- Denwarf's Way

I suggest also a differing topography for these areas. The Darokinian area might be beautifully laid out, with geometrically planned
street/avenue system (with addresses even?) or something like that, whereas the Ylari area especially is more mixed. The Hin area of course might have some small parks or underground dwellings etc.
Hi -
Apologies for not contribur=ting anything recently. RW things continued to impact after the Christmas/New Year holiday, plus cold weather - ice + snow - changed plans.
However, in a way I'm pleased I haven't progressed much with the FQ maps - your campaign notes are adding plenty of ideas. I certainly agree with your comments about the different layouts of areas withi the FQ. While there are the larger blocks as delineated on the GAZ1 map, there's room for some specific arrangements at the detail level. Like the street names as well!

Many thanks for your input. I will be getting back to mapping the FQ - I promise!
AllanP

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

Yesterday we just finished "Painted Bay...Bloodied Streets". Phew.

I am using a system of narrative points that each player can use to create NPCs and places into the city. Each player has one point per one adventure, so locales and people are cropping up. I'll send updates when I can, take up whatever you want. I won't be able to give details to many of them, as they are supposed to gain flesh through the creativity of the players.

But already we grew fond of the pawnbroker Jerzy, a refugee from Halag, who has a semi-legal pawnshop in the Foreign Quarter. One can buy weapons and armour from him, no questions asked, although the selection is limited. Jerzy has sympathies for other refugees and the Traladaran resistance, and might give them discount, but he will never give anything free. Every transaction has to get him something.

One of the PCs is a prostitute, and her player created a sort of a safehouse for all working girls and boys in the Nest and Old Quarter area. They call it "the Salon", but many other people call it "the Fishbarrel". Another locale that was created impromptu in the Nest was a freehouse, a sanctuary for people who want to stay hidden and answer no questions. The management of the house has loose deals with the local gangs, Veiled Society and Kingdom of thieves, as everyone needs such a place. But they are not incorruptible, so if someone pays enough, they can turn a blind eye, especially if the person in hiding has no good contacts.

In South End we have created a local Veiled Society ringleader (or starosta, as in Giampaolo's article) Stavros, a Traladaran man who works from a local Traladaran restaurant "Borsch". Even though he is an elder member, he often takes part in streer action. Starosta is a stern man who will kill anyone who offends the Society, but sometimes he may change the sentence into a service, if there are mitigating circumstances. In some cases he has even been known to give some rewards for people who perform well in such missions where the wage was supposed to be sparing their life. Stavros has an uneasy truce with the district guard captain Porius. Porius is a political animal who cares most of all for appearances and the facade of order. If need be, he will arrest an innocent man if he cannot find the real culprit, but he would do this to safeguard his own position, rarely for a price. Porius is also well known by the local prostitutes as a good customer who does not care about some scars, and never causes them himself.
- Iain M. Banks

Ville Lahde
Troll

Post by Ville Lahde »

Tomorrow (thursday) we will continue our campaign. A lot of the action will take place in the Old Quarter, so a few quick questions, in case you have
time for equally quick answers:

St. Kruskiev Monastery (Dark Knight of Karameikos)
-I haven't read the book, can you give me a few pointers?

Statue of Ban Bogdan Ivanovich (new)
- Have you any specific thoughts on this?
- Iain M. Banks

Return to “Mystara”